(Topic ID: 294544)

What soldering Iron do you use for E-M repair?

By F-14Pin

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by mbwalker
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Soldering gun (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

Picking up a Capt Fantastic project Pin this weekend and I'm sure there will be some soldering required as I resurrect this machine. I was out searching the forum and while there is a lot of information and opinions they seem to focus on soldering stations and circuit board repair.

Not sure if a soldering station with a short cord is the ideal tool for E-M repair. I have an old Millers Falls soldering gun that says 100/140 Watt and a Radio Shack soldering iron that says 35 Watt. I'm thinking this is all I really need other than some 60/40 w/ Rosin Flux Core solder.

Your thoughts?

Dennis

Soldering gun (resized).jpgSoldering gun (resized).jpg
    #2 2 years ago
    Quoted from F-14Pin:

Radio Shack soldering iron that says 35 Watt

This is all you need in my opinion, that 100 watt gun is overkill.
    -Mike

#3 2 years ago

I use a bigger gun like the Millers Falls for getting the sockets replaced. Sometime that old solder needs a bit more wattage to loosen them up.

But I agree, the smaller soldering iron should do most everything for you.

#4 2 years ago

Thanks, I like KISS (keep it simple stupid).

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from F-14Pin:

...'m thinking this is all I really need other than some 60/40 w/ Rosin Flux Core solder...
    Dennis[quoted image]

Glad you mentioned the 60/40 w/rosin. I've been soldering for maybe 50 years and bought some leadfree stuff a couple of years ago in a pinch, yuck. Higher melting temp, and just doesn't flow like some good 60/40. Some solderwick is good to have to get rid of old solder.

A 40-60W iron is probably all you need. As Griz mentioned, the 100W is likely an overkill, but keep it around just in case.

#6 2 years ago

The big one is over kill and the little one kind of sucks. Get something in the 50 to 60 watt range with a good tip and it will do everything you ask of it pinball wise. Weller is a good brand. Spend the extra few bucks to get temperature controlled and use it on your solid state pin also.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

...Spend the extra few bucks to get temperature controlled and use it on your solid state pin also.

Temp controlled: Good point Mad Dog.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

The big one is over kill and the little one kind of sucks. Get something in the 50 to 60 watt range with a good tip and it will do everything you ask of it pinball wise. Weller is a good brand. Spend the extra few bucks to get temperature controlled and use it on your solid state pin also.

Funny you should say that, I seem to remember the last tine I used the little one it took forever to heat up.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from F-14Pin:

Funny you should say that, I seem to remember the last tine I used the little one it took forever to heat up.

Know how many watts it is? Looks like the tip is pretty long.

#11 2 years ago

I use a 30-watt Radio Shack. It’s fine I guess. I did splurge for a new chisel tip.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from AndrewP:

I use a 30-watt Radio Shack. It’s fine I guess. I did splurge for a new chisel tip.

I think one of the biggest problems with people not being able to solder correctly is they use the wrong tip (i.e. use a pencil tip to try to heat up a big area or they use a huge tip on a PCB repair). That and the tip isn't cleaned prior to soldering.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-soldering-iron-do-you-use-for-e-m-repair and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.