• I don't care 19 votes
    23%

(83 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

monkey-smells.gif
IMG_20220306_160157_01 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

As I was playing my newly acquired 1974 Gottlieb Big Indian this morning, I caught a pleasant whiff of "musty old pinball". It's almost the exact opposite smell of when I lift the playfield on my Mando LE and the "NIB wood" aroma wafts out.

I wonder what Mando will smell like in 50 years?

What smells better?

1. Old musty EM smell

2. New in box wood smell?

3. I don't care
IMG_20220306_160157_01 (resized).jpgIMG_20220306_160157_01 (resized).jpg

#2 2 years ago

#3 2 years ago

Both!

I’d say 3 but I DO care haha

#4 2 years ago

EM musty smell is ok. EM nicotine or dead mouse smell is not. In that case I prefer Simple Green smell.

#5 2 years ago

I have a better one!

I got a Scared Stiff that was in an ice cream parlor, when we brought it home the basement smelled like waffle cones for a month. It was awesome!

Not to hijack the thread, but how often does a pinball-smelling thread pop up.

I'll go for #1, musty old smelling.

#6 2 years ago

I feel like there is a joke in here somewhere…

#7 2 years ago

EM smell triggers a flood of memories, so that gets my vote. I don't find it "musty" or unpleasant though - it smells very clean to me.

BTW: I find that Gottlieb EM's smell different than Williams and Bally EMs.

#8 2 years ago

I prefer the smell of Bally EMs over Gottlieb’s. It’s the first thing I notice when I walk into the room with the 2 Bally’s

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

I got a Scared Stiff that was in an ice cream parlor, when we brought it home the basement smelled like waffle cones for a month. It was awesome!

I picked up a TZ from a laundromat and it smelled like dryer sheets the entire time I owned it.

#10 2 years ago

Every once in a while i'll walk by my Williams Shangri La and open the door just to smell inside. Reminds me of old books. I love that smell.

#11 2 years ago

Sometimes I open the door when I'm playing. The smell and the noises are part of the EM experience.

Wonderful!

#12 2 years ago

2 strokes burning race fuel

#13 2 years ago

My finger.

#14 2 years ago

I love the smell of Novus 1 in the morning.

#15 2 years ago

If Bobby Orr's Power Play smells like a hockey locker room I'm out.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Every once in a while i'll walk by my Williams Shangri La and open the door just to smell inside. Reminds me of old books. I love that smell.

That actually reminds me of an old book! I picked up Charlie Chaplins autobiography (written in 1964) from a Goodwill store, it had been slightly water damaged and had that old book smell - i kept it by my dresser long after reading it just to take a whiff of it once in a while.

One of the best books I've ever read. Guy was bigger than the friggin' Beatles.

#18 2 years ago
monkey-smells.gifmonkey-smells.gif
#19 2 years ago

My paragon I restored recently lost the smell I LOVE - it sounds weird but I always loved that old bar smell. I've never even tried a cig but that slight aging cig smell from it the cabinet has since perished and I miss it.

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

My paragon I restored recently lost the smell I LOVE - it sounds weird but I always loved that old bar smell. I've never even tried a cig but that slight aging cig smell from it the cabinet has since perished and I miss it.

40-50 year old cigarette smell is not a bad smell nowadays. It's a noticeable and memorable smell for sure. Especially, for those of use who were playing these games when they were slowly soaking in that smell.

#21 2 years ago

double post

#22 2 years ago

EM smell makes me smile every time.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-smells-better and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.