Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 79 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by benheck
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20220421_210901375.NIGHT (3) (resized).jpg
    zx20220715_064900 (resized).jpg
    mm (resized).PNG
    PXL_20220715_050324042 (resized).jpg
    PXL_20220715_050319796 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20220714_224817122 (resized).jpg
    20220525_192106 (resized).jpg
    ga095-seiko-tv-watch-product (resized).jpg
    20220714_131945 (resized).jpg
    20220714_131920 (resized).jpg
    1C11396E-2CA9-4272-A8B7-94E9740A9578 (resized).jpeg
    maxresdefault (resized).jpg
    EE2D3ED0-10E9-423C-8C9C-F13423983CD1 (resized).jpeg
    AEF0710D-CBB9-49EE-9D16-F0991CCABFA1 (resized).jpeg
    251FF8DF-504B-4D6C-AB88-4117EC46D4BA (resized).jpeg
    0B80A886-173F-4A2F-BBE7-2B5C5A9D9084 (resized).jpeg
    There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 1 year ago

So after 8 years with our Samsung 55" I wanted to upgrade to 4k. I got a 65" Sony. The picture is amazing but I'm having trouble adjusting to the size. Our house is a little difficult to describe but essentially we don't have one large living room on the main level, it's 2 smaller rooms. I think the living room is something like 13' x 12'. My chair is about 6' from the TV and the couch ranges from 8' to 10' depending on where you are sitting on the couch. The other chair is 8' from the screen. Both chairs are at slight angles from the TV but that doesn't seem to pose a problem since the tv has outstanding viewing angles. I get a lot of eye fatigue so far, wondering if it's just to big for me or the room? Anyone want to share their tv size and viewing distances that would be great. I have until Monday to exchange it at best buy and go back to a 55" tv.

#2 1 year ago

Mine is 65” and probably sit a little further back than what you are doing. Ideally I wouldn’t have mine as high as it is but it fits the room well. If it was a little smaller it could seem odd there I think.

I’m considering setting it on a lower shelf angled into the corner where the Atlantis is (temp storage/ not my game) but then I think it would be too big for just sitting there like that.

9F66ADE9-CD85-43C6-8328-464A5193131D (resized).jpeg9F66ADE9-CD85-43C6-8328-464A5193131D (resized).jpeg
    #3 1 year ago

Unrelated to your concern but if you need a good laugh while feeling undecided:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TVTooHigh/

#4 1 year ago

Here's a resolution to room size calculator. If you're getting eye strain, you'll probably want a smaller tv.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/size-to-distance-relationship

#5 1 year ago

Have you disabled the 120hz truvision/trumotion feature? That could possibly be what's causing eye strain.

#6 1 year ago

Relax. A new tv ALWAYS “feels” too big for about 2 days.

You’ll get used to it quickly and wish you’d bought the 75 inch.

My couch is about 6 feet away from our 65 oled and it’s fuckin awesome.

Wish my gf would let me get a 75 though.

0B80A886-173F-4A2F-BBE7-2B5C5A9D9084 (resized).jpeg0B80A886-173F-4A2F-BBE7-2B5C5A9D9084 (resized).jpeg
    #7 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I had a 32” for the longest time (different room than above) and one of my friends came over and felt like he was watching something on his phone in comparison meanwhile I thought it was fine.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Have you disabled the 120hz truvision/trumotion feature? That could possibly be what's causing eye strain.

Can't stand that "feature". If I'm at a friend or family members house and see 120hz true motion or whatever on I'll try to disable it lol.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Can't stand that "feature". If I'm at a friend or family members house and see 120hz true motion or whatever on I'll try to disable it lol.

I’m not familiar with this. Is this where the people pop out more? My aunt calls it soap opera syndrome.

#10 1 year ago

Always at least 77" LG OLED always always always.

OLED quality removes the need for having a smaller TV in a room size, don;t listen to that crap

Quoted from EJS:

I’m not familiar with this. Is this where the people pop out more? My aunt calls it soap opera syndrome.

Soap Opera effect is a term

Quoted from EJS:

Ideally I wouldn’t have mine as high as it is but it fits the room well.

Oh yeah the ol over the Fireplace crack your neck. Ouch.

#11 1 year ago

Yes. Oled is the shizzz…especially if your gaming. I got the 65 lg with the magic remote…but all my crap is in storage and living in a trailer while watching this pos

251FF8DF-504B-4D6C-AB88-4117EC46D4BA (resized).jpeg251FF8DF-504B-4D6C-AB88-4117EC46D4BA (resized).jpeg

#12 1 year ago

OLED is far better to avoid eye fatigue especially in low light full dark.

And added bonus picture quality is above and beyond.

#13 1 year ago

So I didn't get an Oled but I got sonys best non Oled and the picture is amazing. I couldn't even see the difference in best buy between this tv and the Oled one right next to it. I will try disabling the 120hz and see if that helps.

#14 1 year ago

Our viewing chairs are -12’ back from our 65”, I think being closer would be fine, but mine would have to be lower. No way I could have it over the fireplace and be any closer than -10’. Thankfully our fireplace is pretty low.

AEF0710D-CBB9-49EE-9D16-F0991CCABFA1 (resized).jpegAEF0710D-CBB9-49EE-9D16-F0991CCABFA1 (resized).jpeg
    #15 1 year ago

82” Samsung 4k - seating is about 10ft away and it’s perfect. Side note, I’d be impressed if you knew what film this is haha….

EE2D3ED0-10E9-423C-8C9C-F13423983CD1 (resized).jpegEE2D3ED0-10E9-423C-8C9C-F13423983CD1 (resized).jpeg

#16 1 year ago
    maxresdefault (resized).jpgmaxresdefault (resized).jpg
    #17 1 year ago
    Quoted from John-Floyd:

82” Samsung 4k - seating is about 10ft away and it’s perfect. Side note, I’d be impressed if you knew what film this is haha….
    [quoted image]

friday 13th II

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

[quoted image]

Lol, I remember that scene from the office!

#20 1 year ago

Go for 75 inch or larger oled

#21 1 year ago

Give it a little time. When we got our 65” 4k, my wife said she didn’t like it because the people looked like they were popping out of the screen and into our living room.

#22 1 year ago

Maybe all new TVs have this, not sure, but get HDR.

It's more impressive than 4k.

#23 1 year ago

OP I had a similar situation to you. Living room I sit about 6 feet from screen. Replaced a 50” with a 65 and couldn’t adjust. Moved the 65 (better tv) to the bedroom where I am about 17 feet from screen and now have 55” in living room. My eyes were wandering all over trying to watch anything bigger from 6 ft away. I recommend a 55”.

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

My couch is about 6 feet away from our 65 oled and it’s fuckin awesome.
    Wish my gf would let me get a 75 though.[quoted image]

You let your cat make decisions?

#25 1 year ago

All joking aside, depends on multiple factors. Resolution, refresh, color settings, compression.

I can sit 10 ft from an 85” at one place, but need to be 20ft from a 65” at another.

#26 1 year ago

I don't like too large of a screen if I'm really close to the tv because I find my eyes darting around too much trying to see everything.

#27 1 year ago

We went from a 32" to a 82" simply because we had the wall space for it.

John

#28 1 year ago

We just got an 85" Samsung. Replaced a 65". We are 15 feet away. It is great.

#29 1 year ago

Bias lighting should help.

#30 1 year ago

It’s never big enough. Went with 85 and looks small. Also....if its too high that's not good either. Eyes in the middle of the screen if at all possible.

1C11396E-2CA9-4272-A8B7-94E9740A9578 (resized).jpeg1C11396E-2CA9-4272-A8B7-94E9740A9578 (resized).jpeg

#31 1 year ago

It's never big enough. Picked up a really nice 85" Sony 4k TV last year, a Roku Streambar pro, front speakers, rear speakers, a subwoofer, and a 4k bluray player. It's freaking awesome.

I have everything set up to work off of the Roku box, with one remote to rule them all. Its simple enough that my kids can use it, as well as my aging father in law. The only time we use a second remote is when using the disc player. Setup on the speakers was a breeze (plug and play) and having real 5.1 surround is awesome.

In my personal experience, HDR is a bigger boon to picture quality that 4k is. HDR allows the tv to make bright whites and darker blacks. It is my experience that with cheaper new TVs that advertise 4k and HDR, the TV does not get as bright when in HDR mode. That is actually one of the primary reasons we upgraded TVs. Every time we upgrade TVs, we play TV roulette. The 85" replaced the old 65", which went into the bedroom (awesome) and the 65" replaced the old Toshiba Plasma which went into the basement.

If you are seriously considering a new TV and primarily do streaming I cannot recommend the Roku ecosystem enough, and especially the sound system. https://www.roku.com/products/audio Audiophiles will laugh at this, but for me it's great. 5.1 is awesome, and there are all sorts of little touches in normal programming that use it. For example, when my kids watch a baseball game, the announcer voice comes from the center speaker, the field noise is in stereo, but the audience noise and cheering only comes from the rear speakers... neato.

#32 1 year ago

In the living room I am 12' away from a 65".
    In the office I am 8' from a 55"

Those sizes have always seemed right to me. I've never felt they were too large or too small. I've been in friends houses where the TV was too large for the space, and I don't like it. Watching sports isn't as good on them, and although the movie thing is cool, it normally doesn't work.

The two exceptions to that have been projectors for movies. But in those cases the people had put in the effort to have a good home theatre experience. So those were good.

#33 1 year ago

Have a 77" OLED sitting about 8-9 feet away, definitely better with bias lighting, recommend HUE setup, its fantastic. (of course looks much better in the dark)

#34 1 year ago

I sit maybe 10 feet away. I had a 70 inch before and it was sweet. I recently just got a Samsung 85 inch and its incredible. I have a little bit of regret not going with the 83in LG OLED but with a 2k price difference between that and the extremely nice samsung I ended up with, I've made due. Always err on the side of too big if you can.

#35 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I see this everywhere I go and I can't even watch. I have mentioned it to some friends and they had no idea what I was talking about. Some of them let me disable it, but then they said they didn't see a difference. How do most people not see this?? I wish the manufacturers would stop having this function enabled from the factory. It totally does make films look like soap operas. It's even worse when it's a cheap tv and the smoothing is dropping frames in bursts.

#36 1 year ago

Going from memory i think the recommendation was that your seating distance should be 4x the size of the screen -

#37 1 year ago

You need to rely on your own two eyes. All the comments here saying what works for someone else are meaningless to your situation.

Use that viewing distance calculator because it actually is pretty accurate.

Go ahead over to the store and buy a smaller TV to test for a bit. Then return it if it doesn't help. If it does help, return it and buy the model you really want.

Free testing is yours with a little effort.

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Free testing is yours with a little effort.

Buying and returning multiple TVs isn't really free testing. The person doing it may not be bearing the cost, but the cost is there.

#39 1 year ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

Buying and returning multiple TVs isn't really free testing. The person doing it may not be bearing the cost, but the cost is there.

Dude, stop being a Debbie Downer. The comment wasn't for you.

#40 1 year ago
    Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Have a 77" OLED sitting about 8-9 feet away, definitely better with bias lighting, recommend HUE setup, its fantastic. (of course looks much better in the dark)

The clown puking never ends!!

#41 1 year ago
    Quoted from insight75:

It’s never big enough. Went with 85 and looks small. Also....if its too high that's not good either. Eyes in the middle of the screen if at all possible.
    [quoted image]

100% on both points

Most people have there TV's hanging higher than they should be

#42 1 year ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

Dude, stop being a Debbie Downer. The comment wasn't for you.

It was in a public forum I participate in. I didn't realize you thought it was a PM.

#43 1 year ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

100% on both points
    Most people have there TV's hanging higher than they should be

I'm a low-hanger for sure!

#44 1 year ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

It was in a public forum I participate in. I didn't realize you thought it was a PM.

Nah, I recognize your profile pic. You've done those downer, I'm too good for that, type of replies before.

#45 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

The clown puking never ends!!

Exactly. If using bias lighting it should be 6500K white at 10-20% peak brightness. Colors and changing actually destroys the purpose of bias lighting. Which tricks your eyes for better blacks, better color pop/saturation, and applying to this case reduces eye fatigue.

#46 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm a low-hanger for sure!

no argument from me

#47 1 year ago

As big as your budget and space will allow... LOL

Jeff

#48 1 year ago

65” Sony at 120 refresh rate mounted eye level when seated. Also have a 32” TCL 1080p ROKU mounted on a tripod.

Recently got Starlink so have just started enjoying streaming. So many free channels to enjoy!

#49 1 year ago

I have a OLED 77" in living room, Plasma 60"s in family room and Basement, & a 55" in the mech room.
    The 55 is the only one I don't want bigger only becasue its under a stairway.

Always bigger!

EDIT: And looking at how much the LG OLEDs are I'm thinking aboot an upgrade.

#50 1 year ago

Also on the note of TVs... these definately go on sale. I got my TV for about $800 off what I otherwise would have by TV shopping for a month and using an alert site, specifically Camel Camel Camel.

https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B08XLDLRBH?locale=US&context=partner

I had about 3 different TVs I was choosing between, all about equal desirability to me. I put a "watch" on them through camel camel camel. I got an email from them when each TV dropped a certain percentage in price on Amazon. In my case I got my TV for $2,250 when they were previously $2800 when I was price shopping at Best Buy. In my particular case, this made the price of the TV and Roku surround setup the same price as just the TV would have been if I bought it the second I decided to get it.

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-size-tv-is-appropriate?hl=zaki and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.