Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 59 days ago by LTG
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240216_192015 (resized).jpg
    20240216_192021 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    nuts (resized).PNG
    #1 3 years ago

I wanted to get some tools for my pins. I have an assortment of tools but never seem to be the correct size, specifically what size nut drivers are best for working on pins and anything specific I should get?

#2 3 years ago

I use 1/4, 11/32, 3/8, and a 1/4” ignition wrench. Make sure they are all deep socket so you can get to the unlock nuts on the long studs. Basically they are hollow shaft.

#3 3 years ago

The nut drivers I use a lot : 3/16, 7/32, 5/16, 11/32, 3/8, and 7/16. I have sets of them in metric and standard. Also deep well sockets for any long studs you can't get a nut driver over, 1/4 drive, 3/8ths, and 1/2 inch - both metric and standard.

http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/toolkit/index.html

LTG : )

#4 3 years ago

I have 3/16, 1/4, 5/16, 11/32, 3/8, 7/16 and 1/2" hollow shaft. Then I have a 1/4, 5/16 and 11/32" long shaft magnetic nut driver. Also a set of ignition wrenches both open and box.

#5 3 years ago

Great thread I have been pondering this myself, I did want to add one further question. What length do you guys like? Is six inch two long to maneuver or three inch too short to get at things under a pin? Is the obvious answer have both?

#6 3 years ago

Been using these Harbor Freight ones for years, they come with a stand, too -

nuts (resized).PNGnuts (resized).PNG
    #7 3 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

Great thread I have been pondering this myself, I did want to add one further question. What length do you guys like? Is six inch two long to maneuver or three inch too short to get at things under a pin? Is the obvious answer have both?

I dont think a 3in would be very handy, most everything on the bottom of the pf you'll be trying to get in between other stuff.....

#8 3 years ago

You will need 2 sets.

A set of full hollow shaft nut drivers and a set of magnetic.

The hollow shafts at harbor freight are terrible, dont bother.

Get the husky ones in a pinch or the craftsman hollow shaft drivers.

And get a set of Klein magnetics with the long shafts.

A 5/16" x 1/4" multi driver is good for posts as the full shank is 5/16" and will go over mini posts on the 1/4" end.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

I dont think a 3in would be very handy, most everything on the bottom of the pf you'll be trying to get in between other stuff.....

I use 3" Klein. They are hollow shaft, so they work fine with thrubies.

https://www.amazon.com/Driver-3-Inch-Klein-Tools-631/dp/B0000BYEPS/ref=sr_1_4

For the longer stuff under the playfield I use a Black & Decker driver with an extension and 1/4 and 5/16 sockets. I have two 6" extensions, so it is very rare I can't get to what I need. I also like using the driver because if something strips with it, I'd rather have it happen while I'm working on it rather than while playing.

Finally for the metal playfield posts I use a Tekton 1/4" drive deep socket set.

I realize that is a lot of stuff, and I could do it with less. But the versatility I gain is worth it. For stripping down the top of a playfield, for the most part I'll use the Klein drivers. For under, I'll use the power driver with the extension to get them. And for specialty stuff, the sockets.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

I use 3" Klein. They are hollow shaft,

The Klein hollow shaft walls are not thin enough.
    I rarely use mine any more, they wont go over a lot of bolts and are useless for posts..

The cheaper full shank thin wall hollow shafts are whats needed. They have to be hollow all the way thru.

Huskys are ok for the most part.

But I use my Klein long shaft magnetcs mostly as well.

The pittsburg ones are useless.

In a pinch you can drill out a hollow shank nut driver to get the wall thinner. I have had to do this a few times.

#11 3 years ago

The ones I use most are Klein long shaft 1/4", 5/16", and 11/32".

#12 3 years ago

I picked up two sets from Titan Pinball, one for the games, one for the shop.

#13 3 years ago

Klein long-shaft hollow magnetic are great, but be prepared to swear the first time one of the magnets pops out and stays on the post you just tightened.

I wasn’t fully awake when it first happened and it took me a minute to realize WTF was going on.

#14 3 years ago

Definitely get magnetic, dropping screws and nuts sucks. Also, get one of those magnetic grabbers on extension pole. You won't regret it.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from Blackjacker:

Klein long-shaft hollow magnetic are great, but be prepared to swear the first time one of the magnets pops out and stays on the post you just tightened.
    I wasn’t fully awake when it first happened and it took me a minute to realize WTF was going on.

I put a little drop of epoxy on one of my Klein nut drivers magnets.

Its held ok for a couple years now.

#16 3 years ago

I like the klien set too, but tend to use my non magnetic craftsmen set.

I would like to see wiha tools make a magnetic nut driver set, myself.

#17 3 years ago

https://www.wihatools.com/screwdrivers/nut-drivers

Now I went and looked!

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg
    3 years later
    #18 59 days ago

Any ideas for driving mini-posts? Hollow drivers and deep sockets will not work. At least not the various tools I've tried. There must be a better way than using a wrench. Thoughts and thanks.

#19 59 days ago
    Quoted from Willie68:

Any ideas for driving mini-posts? Hollow drivers and deep sockets will not work. At least not the various tools I've tried. There must be a better way than using a wrench. Thoughts and thanks.

This works well. Just remove the driver bit. The shaft is completely hollow.

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-in-1-screwdriver-with-2-bonus-nut-drivers-61988.html

#20 59 days ago

20240216_192021 (resized).jpg20240216_192021 (resized).jpg
    20240216_192015 (resized).jpg20240216_192015 (resized).jpg

#21 59 days ago
    Quoted from Willie68:

Any ideas for driving mini-posts?

Deep well sockets.

LTG : )

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-size-nut-drivers-to-get and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.