(Topic ID: 257317)

What size nut cap / acorn nut for the plastics on 1980 Bally ?

By undrdog

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by wdennie
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CF (resized).jpg
IMG_5767 (resized).JPG
#1 4 years ago

What size threads for the plastic nut cap holding on the plastics on a 1980 Bally (Mystic) ?

Thanks!

IMG_5767 (resized).JPGIMG_5767 (resized).JPG
#2 4 years ago

I assume 6-32
https://www.pinballlife.com/6-32-acorn-nut-natural-nylon.html

But personally I would switch them all the chesterfields, can't stand acorns on SS games.

https://www.pinballlife.com/white-post-caps.html

#4 4 years ago

Go chrome.

#5 4 years ago

What was original ? Chrome?

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from undrdog:

What was original ? Chrome?

No crappy plastics ones that strip out.

#7 4 years ago

Bought two stainless from Home Depot, to see if I like them. HD didn’t have plastic.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from wdennie:

No crappy plastics ones that strip out.

I've never had a plastic strip out yet.
Personal preference, but I to color match on most of my machines. (especially my Bally's)
https://www.pinballlife.com/6-32-acorn-nut-natural-nylon-colored.html

I have not tried the metal colored nuts yet... bit too high-priced for me.

#9 4 years ago

Mine are cracked, not stripped.

#10 4 years ago

Stainless would at least match the posts that show chrome above their rubbers.

$20 for a box of 100 at Amazon. Plus 7 shipping. Also comes in nickle.

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Steel-Cap-Nuts-Box/dp/B00AM0XGJU/ref=mp_s_a_1_4

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from undrdog:

Stainless would at least match the posts that show chrome above their rubbers.
$20 for a box of 100 at Amazon. Plus 7 shipping. Also comes in nickle.
amazon.com link »

You could do yourself a favor and get the Titan post caps in any color you want!
Those things are fantastic.
You’ll regret those stainless the second you have to remove your plastics and they get all jacked up...

#12 4 years ago

Depending on the game/art/plastic, and any protection used,
the decision would be between plastic and metal.

When I use nickel or Zinc plated acorn nuts, I never over tighten, and have disc protection below, and
sometimes a washer on top.

Ebay has a nice bag of 50 for $6.95 including shipping.
With Wikibuy and Ebucks, $6.80

ebay.com link: Fifty 50 6 32 Nickel Plated Acorn Hex Cap Nuts BCP240

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

You could do yourself a favor and get the Titan post caps in any color you want!
Those things are fantastic.
You’ll regret those stainless the second you have to remove your plastics and they get all jacked up...

Can you give me a link for the Titan post caps, please? I see star posts and double star posts and the silicone rings and lot of other items but I cannot locate post caps at Titan.

Thanks.

#14 4 years ago

I couldn’t find it there either.

Was all set to get a bunch of stainless, but I didn’t think about them getting stuck on he bolt. Maybe I’ll stick with nylon.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Can you give me a link for the Titan post caps, please? I see star posts and double star posts and the silicone rings and lot of other items but I cannot locate post caps at Titan.
Thanks.

https://www.titanpinball.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=52

Or PBL for cheaper
https://www.pinballlife.com/perfectplay-silicone-post-cap.html

#16 4 years ago

I think that the rubber push-on style of plastic retainers is the correct style for this era of Bally. I also like this style as they are quick and easy to remove and the rubber will allow the plastic to "flex" a bit as opposed to coming up against a hard nut.

I personally prefer the look of whatever was original to the games. While I hate the aggravation of taking off the Palnuts on Gottlieb games (using the Palnut removal wrench helps tremendously), the chrome nuts look best and most appropriate to me.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

But personally I would switch them all the chesterfields,

CF (resized).jpgCF (resized).jpg
#18 4 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

I think that the rubber push-on style of plastic retainers is the correct style for this era of Bally. I also like this style as they are quick and easy to remove and the rubber will allow the plastic to "flex" a bit as opposed to coming up against a hard nut.
I personally prefer the look of whatever was original to the games. While I hate the aggravation of taking off the Palnuts on Gottlieb games (using the Palnut removal wrench helps tremendously), the chrome nuts look best and most appropriate to me.

1979 Bally = 6-32 plastic nuts
1981 Bally = Rubber Barrels

If it already had the plastic nuts I suspect that is OEM, bag of them is cheap enough at PBR. Most pictures I have looked at show the white plastic nuts.

#19 4 years ago

To add onto what many have said, 6-32 was original, but I change them to the rubber cap that way when an errant ball whacks the plastic from underneath, all that happens is the nut gives way instead of the plastic corner chipping. It also makes it extremely easy to change rubbers and clean under the plastics.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:To add onto what many have said, 6-32 was original, but I change them to the rubber cap that way when an errant ball whacks the plastic from underneath, all that happens is the nut gives way instead of the plastic corner chipping. It also makes it extremely easy to change rubbers and clean under the plastics.

yup, what he said!

#21 4 years ago

But the stainless looks so good! Maybe just not tighten them down all the way.

At this point I only have one machine, so the prospect of having to get out a nut driver to change an occasional rubber or lamp isn’t so bad.

1 week later
#22 4 years ago
Quoted from undrdog:

But the stainless looks so good! Maybe just not tighten them down all the way.
At this point I only have one machine, so the prospect of having to get out a nut driver to change an occasional rubber or lamp isn’t so bad.

Never had one come loose on any of my games, just tighten snuggly, and I usually put a washer under then.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

$ 22.50
$ 10.00
$ 69.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-size-nut-cap-acorn-nut-for-the-plastics-on-1980-bally-?hl=wdennie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.