(Topic ID: 10433)

what size gameroom would you like if house hunting?

By vex

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Spybryon
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

playing with the thought of moving into a place with a bigger area for a games room.

how many square feet would be optimal for a collection of say 25 pins, a pool table and maybe one arcade machine?

i especially like the places that are new with an unfinished basement.

i am thinking 1000 square feet?

what do you guys recommend when looking?

#2 12 years ago

Hey me too, probably getting a new place this summer. I only have room for 4 in the basement.

Great question...

I found a house that has a "media" room that would be ideal. It's right under the garage, no windows or anything. It's totally open and the size of a double garage.

#3 12 years ago

depends how its built, i have a lots of space but the way it's built i can't put more than 4 in a row, 3 there and 2 there...

perfect square space is the best. so yeah 1000 should do the job.

#4 12 years ago

The Perfect Game Room: 10-15 Pins, Brunswick Gold Crown 9ft Pool Table, Bar, 65"+ LED Television, All the current Video Gaming Consoles, Adequate Bar Stools, Sofa, etc.

Any dedicated game space that houses all that you can't complain with... I live in an area without basements and the garage belongs to automobiles in my opinion (or else they get too dirty all the time). The thing I don't like about basements is I hear they can get flooded all the time. I don't know about that.

#5 12 years ago

I would love a heated detached building for them. That would be even more ideal. Somewhere where you could crank the tunes, and play all night and not upset the wife and kids whatsoever haha

#6 12 years ago
    Quoted from vex:

Ha! in chicago city limits thats the size of people's 2 bedroom condos!

Id like something 14x25, thats about as much as you can hope for here.

#7 12 years ago

oh yeah, I forgot... Hard Wood Flooring as well Put a rug under the pool table of course.

#8 12 years ago

I imagine a third floor attic type game room with exposed brick and nice wood floors. About ten pins.

#9 12 years ago

Mine isn't big enough.... I'll be able to have about 20 pins, pool, bar, shuffleboard, ping-pong and it is an extended, converted three car garage. Luckily there is an upstairs for tv, lounge, air hockey etc. And I wish it was bigger. Can't have two much.

#10 12 years ago

look for a walk-out basement so you can move games in and out easily.

If you have to take games down a stairs, try and get a wide stairs or one without too many turns.

Many factors to consider in buying a house, but if you want to have pins, vids, pool table, etc.....think about how they are going to get in and out.

#11 12 years ago

I wouldn't mind having a garage for both pins and cars.

#12 12 years ago

28x30 could fit 30+ pins. Hope to put that addition. On my house in the spring.

#13 12 years ago

I have just under 1100 Sqft, and if you look at my gameroom pics you can see I could have used at least another 400 Sqft if I was going to put something like 10 pins in there(my ideal number). I'm not the kind of person that likes to have the room so packed you can barely move, so I won't do it. Some people don't mind it and if your one of those guys you could have more than enough room in a 400 or 500 Sqft area if your only going to do pins.

#14 12 years ago

I have a 35x25 finished games room now, with 18 pins, 12x6 bar I built, and pool table. I also have a unfinished 18x18 furnace room, which can house another 8 (4 now) once I get around to taking down some shelving.

I considered a larger house, but really rebuilding the bar, and moving all these machines keeps from from doing that. I already feel the pain in not being able to play each machine as much as I would like, so more machines, and especially more work, doesn't appeal to me anymore.

#15 12 years ago

Great topic..I'll be playing this game also in the spring.

Right now I have 2100 SQ of unfinished basement. I moved the furnace under the stairs last winter and have first floor laundry...so none of that stuff is in the way. I have a TV area with a couch...about 15 pins...a Big Ball Bowler...Skee ball machine...Chexx and Atari Football....and probably 10 vids.

The wife 'bought' me a pool table for my b-day (all though I haven't picked it out yet) I honestly don't know where I'm going to put it.

Now we plan on buying a different place in the spring and i completely understand that I am not getting a 2100 SQ basement. I find it (and i could be COMPLETELY wrong) darn near impossible that 25 pins..a pool table...and bar would fit in 1000SQ and you would still have room for more than a couple people in there)

I know I have a couple of big space takers (Big Ball bowler and Skee ball) but those 2 game get played..by far...more than any other games when we have guest over.

Real interested on hearing others SQ to game\bar ratio

Quoted from vex:

playing with the thought of moving into a place with a bigger area for a games room.
    how many square feet would be optimal for a collection of say 25 pins, a pool table and maybe one arcade machine?
    i especially like the places that are new with an unfinished basement.
    what do you guys recommend when looking?

#16 12 years ago

I've got around 1,700', ping pong area, skeeball, couple of video games, air hockey, foosball and 11 pins. There is still plenty of room for more when and if it happens. No bar so that saves a ton of space. Depending on dimensions 1,000' could be enough but you have to hope things fit just right.

#18 12 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

I imagine a third floor attic type game room with exposed brick and nice wood floors. About ten pins.

I hope you install a roof crane or a service elevator....I can't imagine lugging pins up three floors

#19 12 years ago

By the way, to further explain my comment above. After the Chicago fire, the city was planned and recreated in a grid system. Because of that all Chicago lots started out the same (some are different due to people in the past buying multiple lots and redividing and other irregularities. But the vast majority of Chicago homes sit on parcels of land no more than 25ft wide!

#20 12 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

I imagine a third floor attic type game room

Quoted from robertmee:

....I can't imagine lugging pins up three floors

Beat me to the punch!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-size-gameroom-would-you-like-if-house-hunting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.