Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 45 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Skyemont
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190524_191928 (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

I have #metallica-le, Spider-man , and NBA Fastbreak. Only have room in my game area for 1 more. What should it be? I'd ideally like something that would spice up the variety of what I currently have. Not a fan of EMs, floaty games or super long games. The lower the price the quicker I could get it, but if a higher end JJP ends up winning out I could save up. A few I've thought about are Fish Tales, Whirlwind or Wizard of Oz, but I'd like to see what you all think.

#2 4 years ago

Another WPC 95 seems like a good fit. Also I will always recommend Tales from the Crypt

#3 4 years ago

Twd or Iron Man should chew you up and spit you out pretty fast. No long game times,far from floaty and not an EM. Good luck.
    -Mike

#4 4 years ago

F-14 is the best bang for the buck in Pinball

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from Joniano:

What should my fourth home machine be?

The one before your fifth...and your sixth...

#6 4 years ago

Lol. Maybe build a extension on the house for more pinball?

Tales from the crypt certainly fits my theme and loved the show back in the day. Does the voice thing get annoying? That's what I've heard before and it makes me worry a bit.

Regarding TWD and Iron Man, I don't think I want another stern. I really enjoy variety and different systems would be part of that to me. That being said, I can see TWD replacing one of my other sterns one day. Great game and unique layout.

Never thought about F-14. Never played one either. What makes it so good?

#7 4 years ago

A JJP pin would be ideal for home in a small collection. A deep game like Wizard of Oz, Hobbit, Dialed In, POTC or the new Wonka. Any of those would be a great addition to your collection.

#8 4 years ago

If you like Fish Tales, I'd get that. I've owned it longer then any other machine and it's still my guilty pleasure game. I don't currently own one, but if I didn't have easy access to one it would for sure be back in my collection. The other games I'm currently considering adding are AFMr CE, LOTR, or Iron Maiden.

Quoted from MRG:

F-14 is the best bang for the buck in Pinball

Please consider it a friendly thumbs down. I just have F-14 rated as one of the most overrated games. One of only two games I've owned that I was happy to leave my collection. Hardbody lasted years longer then F14 for me.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from Joniano:

Tales from the crypt certainly fits my theme and loved the show back in the day. Does the voice thing get annoying? That's what I've heard before and it makes me worry a bit.
    Regarding TWD and Iron Man, I don't think I want another stern. I really enjoy variety and different systems would be part of that to me. That being said, I can see TWD replacing one of my other sterns one day. Great game and unique layout.

There's a "home" ROM done by ChadH that (from what I know) greatly reduces the laughing that happens all too often in that game on the factory ROM. It's one of the best DE games, imo.

TNA is a fast brutal game that plays differently than anything out there. If you don't want super long games, I would not suggest WoZ as those games can get pretty long.

#10 4 years ago

Get the Fish Tales.

#11 4 years ago

Sell the #NBA Fastbreak and get a Whirlwind and a The Shadow.. yes I'm biased

#12 4 years ago

Pinbot. The king of system 11.

Hard as hell and frustrating. You vs the machine.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from RobDutch:

Sell the #NBA Fastbreak and get a #Whirlwind and a #Shadow.. yes I'm biased

Shadow is another game that would be on my short list.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

Pinbot. The king of system 11.
    Hard as hell and frustrating. You vs the machine.

And up there in
    Best sound/ music.

#15 4 years ago

I like the NBA Fastbreak actually. I'm an old school NBA fan, so that helps. Leaning towards the tales from the crypt as it stands over fish tales now. Never played a Shadow or a Pinbot. Probably need to check them out as well. I liked TNA, but my kids didn't...

#16 4 years ago

In your list: WoZ

I will always recommend jack*bot over pin*bot; same but funnier

Orelse: Swords of Fury!

#17 4 years ago

Get Rolling Stones.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from Joniano:

I like the NBA Fastbreak actually. I'm an old school NBA fan, so that helps. Leaning towards the tales from the crypt as it stands over fish tales now. Never played a Shadow or a Pinbot. Probably need to check them out as well. I liked TNA, but my kids didn't...

The answer is simple then. A second NBA Fastbreak for head to head play.

#19 4 years ago
    #20 4 years ago
    Quoted from Joniano:

I just got my 4th pin. I too wanted variety, so I sought out something other than stern. At the end of my research, I found that Deadpool marked all the boxes for me. Gameplay is much different than my other sterns (and yours), unique rules, great code, amazing sound package. That’s my recommendation.

#21 4 years ago

I haven't yet owned a JJP yet but would go with DI or Wonka.
    Maybe look at AFM, MB, TOM, or Sys 11 like WW.
    I miss my Whirlwind that was let go a few years ago.
    For a Stern you can't go wrong having MET and Spiderman
    in that small collection. That's a great start right there alone.

#22 4 years ago

Oktoberfest is getting good feedback.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

The answer is simple then. A second NBA Fastbreak for head to head play.

This would be awesome!!!

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from RobDutch:

Whirlwind! Or another sweet System 11!

#25 4 years ago

WW or FT are both good.

#26 4 years ago

Shadow. It’s just so good.

#27 4 years ago

Best to get out and play as many pins as you can to see what you like. I would skip JJP since they are just so expensive. You could easily get a decent Stern pro plus something else for the same money. FT prices are going up but you can still find them fairly cheap. You could get one now, play it for a while, then trade up to something. It's a simple game but very challenging. Shadow is another game where prices going up but still affordable. Shadow is a very challenging game though so not for novices. If you have kids playing it might be better to find something else. Whirlwind is pretty good but getting expensive for a sys11 game.

#29 4 years ago

I would avoid JJP games like the plague. They have the worst quality and hightest price. Can't go wrong with whirlwind or fishtales. Both are great playing games. Most modern Stern pros are exceptional also. There are a lot of choices out there.

#30 4 years ago

Bram Stokers Dracula

#31 4 years ago

Played a Batman 66 early code and hated it. I hear a bunch of people like it, but it's really not my favorite theme to try again on. Deadpool is just flat awesome, but I'm gonna stick to my guns and stay away from another stern. Played BSD at a show and wasn't much impressed. Shadow is a potential, but I don't like the theme much. Based on your responses, I'm thinking, in this order:

1) Tales from the crypt
    2) Whirlwind
    3) Fish Tales

The Fish Tales drops for me because it's simple like the Fastbreak and two flipper like fastbreak and Metallica. I thought initially about doing two fastbreaks linked, but after owning one for a bit, I think I'd rather go for variety. I'm torn about #1/#2 the whirlwind seems to have cooler toys, but I love the theme from tales from the crypt. The pinsound metal mod is right up my alley too.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from Joniano:

I'm gonna stick to my guns and stay away from another stern.

Why? Deadpool Premium blows away any of the other games that you mentioned. What's so bad about Stern that would make you boycott them?

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from RobDutch:

Great idea

#34 4 years ago

I Just picked this up today.
    20190524_191928 (resized).jpg20190524_191928 (resized).jpg

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from Captainhook:

[quoted image]

Well ... there's one sold anyway.

Just kidding - congrats! Looking forward to a BK LE coming to my favorite pinball bar soon so I can finally play it!

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Well ... there's one sold anyway.
    Just kidding - congrats! Looking forward to a BK LE coming to my favorite pinball bar soon so I can finally play it!

FREE I won it. "Project Pinball"

#37 4 years ago

Have a look at Sys11 era games
    not deep, but many titles that are fun to play

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from Captainhook:

[quoted image]

Nice dude, congrats!

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Why? Deadpool Premium blows away any of the other games that you mentioned. What's so bad about Stern that would make you boycott them?

Oh they're not bad at all. I love playing them! I've played Deadpool quite a few times and I really like the shots and the LCD integration. The issue I have is that the play feels the same as my Metallica. It's easy to nudge and has a similar flipper feel whereas my NBA Fastbreak and Spiderman feel different. And before someone yells at me, I know Spiderman is a stern, but there's something about it's weight or how it sits on the legs that makes it significantly harder to nudge than my Metallica (or any other newish stern for that matter).

#40 4 years ago

I only have room for four as well. My wife and I are just starting our collection but we have played over 100s of machines since getting into pinball. Here is our thoughts. We like a variety of types of games. We are about to bring home Williams Blackout (System 6) SS game. We eventually want a copy of a more modern/complex game like attack from mars, Star Trek next gen, Adams family or Iron Maiden. We also want an Older EM pin like Atlantis in the mix too. So we can have a variety of styles of play.

#41 4 years ago

I have a love and hate relationship with Fish tales. I love the colorful playfield, the callouts and the wacky theme, but I hate the gameplay simply because the game is very fast and I'm not good enough. FT is definately not suitable in a small/beginner collection imo.

#42 4 years ago

“What should my Fourth Home Machine be?”

The one you get before your fifth machine.

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

I just got my 4th pin. I too wanted variety, so I sought out something other than stern. At the end of my research, I found that Deadpool marked all the boxes for me. Gameplay is much different than my other sterns (and yours), unique rules, great code, amazing sound package. That’s my recommendation.

DP really becomes a home-run especially when you dig the humor.
    It’s also fairly easy to find one.

OP-I Hear you on nudging feel difference- tighten the tilt? Use something (or nothing) else under the legs? Wonder how much more you might enjoy DP if the weight/feel improved for you.

If that doesn’t work,
    I’d say given facts you’ve shared that you should save for WOZ as it’ll prob give you most satisfaction/variety

#44 4 years ago

Indy 500 for something different.

#45 4 years ago

WOZ or Wonka.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-should-my-fourth-home-machine-be?hl=matthew2000tx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.