By ThePostmaster

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

• Nugent Stern Electronics, 1978
#1 11 years ago

How fun is Nugent? Only a couple reviews here on Pinside.

I was just offered a HUO Nugent pin. We haven't discussed prices yet. What would be a fair offer? Thanks for any input.

#2 11 years ago

Nobody's played this? I was hoping to get an idea of the fun factor, and determine if it was worth making an offer on, or just let it go.

#3 11 years ago

Never played a Nugent, but I sure saw him play! Thrice! You want a sample?

#4 11 years ago

I played it a lot back when it was a new game. if you have a line on one in great condition grab it. you can always sell/trade it later. very few of these are huo.

#5 11 years ago

Supposedly it's a 1 owner game.

#6 11 years ago

Fun game.

Don't expect it to play Snakeskin Cowboys or anything, but it has one of the best backglasses ever.

#7 11 years ago

There was one at MPE and it had constant play all weekend.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Don't expect it to play Snakeskin Cowboys or anything,

lol, what about Wang Dang Sweet Poontang?

#9 11 years ago

I used to have one and it's not that great of a player but it has a collectable rock theme. I sold mine (which was a HUO) for $1,000.

It's usually not too hard to find one with a decent playfield and cabinet but the Nugent backglasses were notorious for peeling and subsequently finding a nice one can be challenging to say the least.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

but the Nugent backglasses were notorious for peeling and subsequently finding a nice one can be challenging to say the least.

He states the backglass is perfect, no peeling. I'll go and look at it.

1 week later
#11 11 years ago

Bump for maybe more reviews.

#12 11 years ago

Awful play ... Horrible sound( expected). Could be ok you got free back straps with purchas

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Fun game.
Don't expect it to play Snakeskin Cowboys or anything, but it has one of the best backglasses ever.

That is my favorite Nugent song!

#14 11 years ago

We have owned two of them over that past 3 or 4 years and they were an easy sell because of the backglass & theme. If you are into the art --- Nugent is a great machine but if you like playing pinball Nugent doesn't make the grade. Worst thing is the sounds - basically typical early SS machine and with a machine like Nugent you really want to hear some music.

Both machines we owned were in great shape yet I couldn't add them to our line up - even short term - because of the game play. If you end up with it I doubt you will keep in long term.

Just my 2 cents!

#15 11 years ago

I enjoy playing my Nugent pinball. Totally agree that it is just crying out to be playing Nugent songs, so I added that ability to mine and it makes for a much more involving experience. However I think the standard sound effects are very comparable to other early solid state machines - and I do like the pop bumper sound.

My playfield is clean and waxed and the rebuilt flippers are nice and strong, and I have it set at a decent angle, so it plays fast and fun, just like all the other Classic Sterns are reputed to. I did play one at the museum in Baltimore that was set up at a slow angle and it really played like a dog compared to what I'm used to on mine.

The theme is obviously not for everyone but some like it and it certainly can be a fun, challenging basic pinball machine.

#16 11 years ago

Decent playing game if you like this era. However, there are MUCH better playing games from Stern Electronics (Star Gazer, Seawitch, Big Game, Meteor, Catacomb, Quicksilver to name a few...)

Sounds are really bad (think annoying alarm clock buzzer) but the art is awesome.

This sort of reminds me of KISS by Bally in that it's more popular than it should be because of the theme.

2 months later
#17 10 years ago

review posted.

I'm gonna listen to some Consolidated now...

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

review posted.
I'm gonna listen to some Consolidated now...

You are my favorite person to read reviews from because they are very in depth.

#19 10 years ago

Horrible grating primitive early solid state sound. Clashes terribly with the cool theme.

#20 10 years ago

Got to play it briefly at Lyons Pinball. It is a late 70's Solid State machine and it clearly shows, primitive sound effects with a decent playfield though. Fun for a few games but thats it. Suffice to say, this machine didn't have a "stranglehold" on me.

*bows* I'll be here all week.

#21 10 years ago

Not a bad game when played with Good Friends and a Bottle of Wine.

Tip Your Waitress and Try the Veal

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

You are my favorite person to read reviews from because they are very in depth.

Thank you Ronnie1114.

Made my frickin' day!

KMR

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-should-i-pay-for-a-huo-nugent and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.