(Topic ID: 36384)

What should I expect to pay for replacing the battery holder on my System 11 PCB

By phlflyer1

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by phlflyer1
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0198.JPG
IMG_0197.JPG
IMG_0196.JPG
cyclone_edit.jpg
IMG_0195.JPG
IMG_0194.JPG
IMG_0193.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phlflyer1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 11 years ago

Hello All,

I am new to the forum and just picked up a Williams Cyclone for my first ever pin as a present for the family.

It spent many years on route but was in reasonably good condition and has been in home use for the past 5 years or so.

Unfortunately, one thing the previous owner neglected was the batteries. I've been doing a lot of reading up since acquiring the machine and knew to check the batteries on the PCB board.

Sure enough, there was a little bit of corosion on one of the batteries so I got them out of the battery holder but not without one of the small tabs on the battery holder falling off.

I know there are a couple of different options with replacing the battery holder but I've decided that I'd like to replace the holder on my PCB with a similar holder and then use a remote battery pack/holder that I've already created and have ready to go.

So, I apologize for all of that unnecessary background information but my question is how much should I expect to pay if I send out my board along with a new battery holder that I've already purchased to have someone remove the old holder, clean up the area and install the new holder?

I'm alright at basic soldering but haven't really done any work with PCBs and don't want to screw up the board since it is original and a serial number match for the rest of the components in the game.

The game is working 100% fine right now without the batteries other than getting the "adjustment error" when I turn it on because it couldn't save settings. So, there is no damage to the board from the small leak that occurred other than the battery holder being unusable.

If I can get some rough estimates as to what I should expect to pay and who would be a good candidate to send the board to so that I can have piece of mind that the repair will be done correctly it would be greatly appreciated!

Scott

#6 11 years ago

Thanks all for the replies.

Luke, thanks for the encouragement. I have been thinking about doing the fix myself but am still on the fence.

John, first let me say thank you for your help with getting the latest game roms for my Cyclone. I received them from you and had no issues updating to the L-5 roms.

I'm including a few pictures of the board as John requested. The game is playing fine, other than not remembering the settings, but I do see what looks like some staining around the area of the battery holder. I would guess that is potential alkaline damage that needs to be cleaned up?

I've read a little bit about cleaning up using a solution of 1/2 water and 1/2 white vinegar and then letting the board dry overnight before re-installing it. Is that the correct approach?

Given the potential cleanup that the board needs, maybe I should just go ahead and send it out to a professional?

IMG_0193.JPGIMG_0193.JPG IMG_0194.JPGIMG_0194.JPG IMG_0195.JPGIMG_0195.JPG

#14 11 years ago

Thanks all for the follow up replies.

So, I've sent an email to Rob Anthony through his site as a couple have recommended.

John, do you have contact info for Chris Hibler? How do I find him as a user on this site? I apologize for such a noob question but thats what I am here.

Needless to say that I am definitely discouraged now about the condition of the board and the fact that I probably paid too much for the pin given this issue was lurking.

I'd really hate to have to replace the whole board since the game is playing just fine but it sounds like that might be inevitable from what some have said.

When I get a chance, I'll try and take some more pictures below U41 and post them here.

#16 11 years ago

First of all you dont put another battery holder back on the board either add a remote holder, or I do cap conversions which eliinates the problem forever.
You can also upgrade the 6116 to a battery free memory chip but they are expensive

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I know there are a few different options to replacing the holder and even ones that can eliminate the need for batteries altogether.

I know this wouldn't be everyones choice but my preference is to actually keep the original board, have it cleaned up and put a similar style battery holder back into it rather than modding it. I've got a remote battery pack put together that I will plug into the replacement holder that will allow me to move the actual batteries off board.

I've taken a few more pictures of the board to post here. In one of the pictures the area of rust/yellow to the right of the battery holder looks a lot worse than it does when the board is in front of you or in the other pictures. Must have been something about the lighting or the angle in that particular picture.

IMG_0196.JPGIMG_0196.JPG IMG_0197.JPGIMG_0197.JPG IMG_0198.JPGIMG_0198.JPG

#23 11 years ago

Thanks to all for their replies and help. I'm definitely going to send the board out considering the clean up that it needs and I've got someone lined up for the repairs.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Keller, TX
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Colorado Springs, CO
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phlflyer1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-should-i-expect-to-pay-for-replacing-the-battery-holder-on-my-system-11-pcb?tu=phlflyer1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.