(Topic ID: 66003)

what should i expect to pay for a "players" quality bad cats?

By ccotenj

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by ccotenj
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-820.jpg
image-728.jpg
image-466.jpg
image-828.jpg
image-623.jpg
#1 10 years ago

title pretty much says it all... swmbo has put in a specific request for this machine... i never should have showed her the pictures of it...

what matters to me:

- "good" electronics...
- nothing "broken"...
- reasonably presentable pf and bg (is this a bg or translite? i'm an em guy, i don't know)...

what doesn't matter to me:

- cabinet fade...
- shooter lane wear...
- etc.

basically, i'm just looking for a machine that doesn't have a ratted out pf and has solid boards. doesn't have to be shopped, i'm capable of that.

tia. chris

#2 10 years ago

These don't come up very often , I'm on the west coast though
maybe you'll have better luck. I'm looking for one too, it seems
people hold on to these games...

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from moto_cat:

These don't come up very often , I'm on the west coast though
maybe you'll have better luck. I'm looking for one too, it seems
people hold on to these games...

yea, i've searched around quite a bit, and am not finding anything...

i'm hoping that since i'm not looking for a pimped out one, someone will have one sitting around that they "mean to restore someday" and choose to sell it to me instead...

#4 10 years ago

I managed to get one a couple of fellow pinheads in our league referred to as the "Sad Cats". Partly because the cab is rough, had a sorry excuse for a translite and decal lifting on the BAD CATS letters on the PF. That and the ramps, though working, need to be replaced (c'mon Pinball Inc.!). I've bought a backglass that had flaking on the edges (but otherwise 1000x better than what was there), new plastics, and possibly will buy a new PF when they are made by CPR. I'll easily have 2k plus in mine, but it's a keeper. I'd say for players condition like you've described 1200-1300, but considering that they aren't easy to find, you might pay more. I think it should be a 1500 game. Two banks of drop targets, two ramps, awesome art, perhaps the best non-multiball game. I've thought it would be fun to P-ROC this. One could add a lock ball to this game with the trash can.

#5 10 years ago

I paid $600 for mine, but it's rougher than what you want. a 4" by 4" area of the backglass has been sprayed over as the art had flaked off completely. Side art is gone. The playfield is planked (though thanks to the factory mylar, that doesn't hinder playability.) The display was dead when I got it (though one new resistor was all it took to fix.) If I apply new side art and put a new backglass in, I'll have over $1k in it. I think that's pretty inexpensive for one, but obviously deals like this come up!

Cool game, though. Probably my favorite art of any pin ever.

#6 10 years ago

I was going to say 1000-1200

#7 10 years ago

I see a few "bad cats" in these avatars

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from TurboBengal:

I was going to say 1000-1200

Exactly right. Maybe even less.

#9 10 years ago

thanks for the feedback guys...

now all i gotta do is actually find one...

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from TurboBengal:

I see a few "bad cats" in these avatars

the one in mine is certainly a bad cat...

#11 10 years ago

I'd say your going to be closer to 1.5k. Unless you have some decent, not so public sources

#12 10 years ago

^^^

unfortunately, i don't have any of those sources...

the search is on...

#13 10 years ago

Sadly, what most likely will happen. You will search forever. One day you will find one locally and scream with Joy! You will hurry over to buy it without seeing good photos at $1700. You arrive to bring it home to see that it is worth closer to $900. But at this point you want the damn thing so bad and don't want to keep searching for one. You get them to drop it to $1500 and spend the next month restoring it lol.

But, a Dirty Cat can always be cleaned. But you will probably end up buying whatever you find unfortunately. It is a rare machine.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

Sadly, what most likely will happen. You will search forever. One day you will find one locally and scream with Joy! You will hurry over to buy it without seeing good photos at $1700. You arrive to bring it home to see that it is worth closer to $900. But at this point you want the damn thing so bad and don't want to keep searching for one. You get them to drop it to $1500 and spend the next month restoring it lol.
But, a Dirty Cat can always be cleaned. But you will probably end up buying whatever you find unfortunately. It is a rare machine.

something tells me this won't be too far from reality...

i'm familiar with the month(s) long restoration process...

the only thing that really concerns me is boards/displays... being an em guy, they are totally foreign to me... i'm used to being able to see everything "work/not work"... the idea of of a "black box" is a bit intimidating to me...

cleaning it, i can deal with... my current project machine was about as filthy as a machine could be...

#15 10 years ago

Check for Hacks, Acid, and glowing/flickering displays. However, you can buy a brand new Display for about $250.
When you get to the machine you can run a test, make sure all your solenoids fire.

If you know you "will" someday own one. I recommend you quickly try and find a last set of plastics. They may or may not be all sold out by now. The sling plastics are almost always broke.

#16 10 years ago

ok, i will do all of that, including the plastics, thanks for the heads up...

#17 10 years ago

I have one in Landisburg, PA that might fit the bill. PM me.

--M

P.S. I even have a new set of plastics for it!

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from mdolshan:

I have one in Landisburg, PA that might fit the bill. PM me.
--M
P.S. I even have a new set of plastics for it!

pretty amazing how you and i like the same machines... email coming, i think i've still got it from when you found me the pro football...

#19 10 years ago

I already sent you a PM!

#20 10 years ago

and i got it...

#21 10 years ago

My display does weird things. I tried to fix it as one digit was out but now it misses segments when displaying 4,6,8 and some letters. These segments do work, just aren't properly decoded or whatever. I am going to replace the demultiplex chips just haven't gotten around to it. I may eventually replace the whole display. Too bad as the segments are otherwise clear and crisp.

Seafood wheel also has issues that I believe are board related. I've replaced some parts but still have others to replace. Funny thing on the display is that someone had dribbled solder all over several of the lower chips (bottom of board can't remember right now) and when I cleaned that up is when the segments started acting up. I wonder how it ever worked before. Funny isn't it.

#22 10 years ago

the desired machine has been acquired, for the "captainneo approved price", no less... with any kind of luck, i'll pick it up within the next month...

thanks mdolshan! and thanks to all who chimed in, greatly appreciate the help...

#23 10 years ago

Way cool , congrats !! Post lots of pics when you get it..
I'll get one some day

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from moto_cat:

Way cool , congrats !! Post lots of pics when you get it..
I'll get one some day

thanks mate... i will post a bunch when it joins the other bad cats in my humble abode...

you will find one... i caught the "right place, right time" luck on this one...

other machines have not come as fast, i looked for quite awhile before i found my "jacks open"... and the story with that one is basically the story jean-luc described, paid a bit too much and spent a LONG time completely disassembling it, r&r'ing mechs, cleaning relays, etc. and then reassembling it... it was a good learning experience though, i learned a LOT about em machines with that project (it was my first)...

#26 10 years ago

Thanks for the link. After travel costs this would be close to 3k
To high for a bad cats.

#27 10 years ago

I agree, I think it's too much as it sits. But then again, I'm not to keen on the theme.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from Renegade:

I agree, I think it's too much as it sits. But then again, I'm not to keen on the theme.

Well Boo! The theme is great! Who doesnt like a Bad Cat? I honestly enjoy the theme more than the game.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from TurboBengal:

Well Boo! The theme is great! Who doesnt like a Bad Cat? I honestly enjoy the theme more than the game.

the theme is really the only reason i bought it... i've never played it...

wife saw pictures of game...
wife expressed desire to own game...
husband acquired game...

happy wife, happy life...

3 weeks later
#30 10 years ago

it is here... actually i picked it up monday...

it is a lot of fun to play, and the "sound track" (for lack of a better term) cracks me up... needs a clean/wax job, and some screws and various things replaced, but very playable the way it is...

i'm happy... and more importantly, swmbo is happy...

a few pics...

image-623.jpgimage-623.jpgimage-820.jpgimage-820.jpgimage-828.jpgimage-828.jpgimage-728.jpgimage-728.jpgimage-466.jpgimage-466.jpg

#31 10 years ago

Looks pretty decent! Congrats!

#32 10 years ago

^^^

thanks! yea, i'm not complaining, for sure...

it's "funny" seeing it lined up with the em's though... looks like something from outer space compared to them...

#33 10 years ago

Congrats! Yours doesn't look yellowed on the playfield on the areas not under Mylar, which is a bit rare on a Bad Cats

Quoted from ccotenj:

something tells me this won't be too far from reality...
i'm familiar with the month(s) long restoration process...
the only thing that really concerns me is boards/displays... being an em guy, they are totally foreign to me... i'm used to being able to see everything "work/not work"... the idea of of a "black box" is a bit intimidating to me...
cleaning it, i can deal with... my current project machine was about as filthy as a machine could be...

The one thing about boards it, most of them are reproduced. I totally get the appeal of EMs for simplicity of diagnosis, but with solid state games, if you have a board issue (and don't feel like having someone repair it) you can always buy a whole new board. Not cheap, but at least the option exists.

#34 10 years ago

^^^

thanks collin...

yea, that's a good point... as noted, i'm pretty comfortable under the hood of an em (although far from an expert), but the idea of simply replacing a board (albeit at a cost) certainly is appealing vs. disassembling a relay bank...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Wilkes-barre, PA
$ 49.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 19.99
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Omaha, NE
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 49.00
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-should-i-expect-to-pay-for-a-players-quality-bad-cats and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.