(Topic ID: 145900)

What should I do with this Jacks Open apron?

By n1teowl

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by jibmums
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What should I do with this apron?”

• Replace the whole thing 0 votes
  • Put a decal over it 1 vote
    8%
  • Leave it how it is 12 votes
    92%

(13 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Red_apron.png
IMG_7088.jpg

#1 4 years ago

I'm hoping for some advice on what to do with this apron. I pulled an old operator's decal off and there was some paint missing underneath. I didn't pull the paint off when removing the decal, it looks like it was missing before the decal went on. My options are to try and replace the whole apron (which I haven't had much luck doing), paint it white and put a decal on top, or leave it as it is. Does anyone have experience with apron decals for these? How do they look?

IMG_7088.jpg

#2 4 years ago

Overall, I think that apron is in very good condition. You're not trying to create a museum piece, you are just restoring a machine.

#3 4 years ago

I have done a half dozen or so of the decals. They look very nice if you prep the apron just right. The paint has to be really smooth with little or no orange peel and absolutely no bumps or irregularities. You might even consider having the apron stripped and powder coated instead of painting it.

On the other hand, that apron really does not look bad. If the game you are restoring is not getting the complete treatment with new cab stencil, new backglass, touch up playfield with clear coat, etc, etc; I would just leave it as it. Personally I might have just left the operator decal.

#4 4 years ago

Leave as is.

It is pretty good.

I would pay less for a game that had had the apron stripped and decal stuck on it.

The enemy of good is better!!!

#5 4 years ago

Yours is a small repair to the blue & red.Got a steady hand? The Red Ink Sharpie and White Oil Base Paint Sharpie match great. The Blue Ink Sharpie is a little darker than the original ink on the apron but for small areas it still works nicely.

http://www.staples.com/Sharpie-reg-Fine-Point-Permanent-Markers-Red-30002-/product_498246

http://www.staples.com/Sharpie-Fine-Point-Permanent-Marker-Blue-Each/product_498253

I will try the white as well as I am going to staples today to get some.

http://www.staples.com/Sharpie-Paint-Oil-Based-Marker-Medium-White-2-Pack/product_896656

Update: Went to hobby Lobby and picked one of these. Figured the white on the Apron was paint so this would work better than an Ink pen.

http://www.staples.com/Sharpie-reg-Oil-based-Paint-Marker-Medium-White-2-pk-1782041-/product_896656

Ken

#6 4 years ago

that apron looks really good. With me. I'd just paint and touchup the letters that wore off. Wouldn't take much.

#7 4 years ago

Cool, thanks for the ideas. I will probably end up leaving it alone and if it is still driving me crazy I might try and touch up the lettering. It's definitely not getting the full restore, so it will probably match the rest of the machine just fine. For me, leaving the operator decal was not an option, especially since it might have been in perfect shape underneath.

#8 4 years ago

Powder coat it bright red

#9 4 years ago

Now you're talking.

Red_apron.png

#10 4 years ago

Put a replay level and instruction card in it.

If it bothers you that much (not lost to me) these things come up from time to time on ebay or Mr. Pinball in nice condition. You might have to be patient and wait awhile but I've found a lot harder to find items.

#11 4 years ago

I'm not a big fan of full apron decals unless the original paint/artwork is in terrible shape, which it looks like this is not the case. If the white paint is still in good condition and the only areas of paint loss are the red text & blue arrow in the middle, you could scan in the apron, recreate (or have someone recreate) those missing areas as vector artwork, have them cut out of adhesive-backed vinyl at a sign shop, then weed out the unnecessary parts and carefully apply directly over the old artwork. That way the paint on your apron is still 95% original and only the affected areas have been redone.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
2,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Washington Township, NJ
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
650 (Firm)
Sale Pending!
Exton, PA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 149.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
£ 39.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Boards
German-Pinball-Modular

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside