(Topic ID: 68162)

What should I do with a Close Encounters Light Box (Back Box)?

By MTPPC

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by MTPPC
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMAG0795.jpg
IMAG0825.jpg
IMAG0826.jpg
IMAG0766.jpg
IMAG0758.jpg
IMAG0759.jpg
IMAG0752.jpg
IMAG0783.jpg
IMAG0780.jpg
IMAG0781.jpg
IMAG0782.jpg
IMAG0778.jpg
IMAG0776.jpg
IMAG0777.jpg
IMAG0775.jpg
IMAG0774.jpg

#1 10 years ago

THis recently came into my possession. I'm considering triple thicking the backglass and framing it, storing the parts and modifying the backbox to mount on a mystic cabinet that came in the same auction lot. I will probably pedal the mystic playfield and sell the cabinet and backbox for a virtual cab.

WHat do you think?

IMAG0771.jpgIMAG0771.jpg IMAG0773.jpgIMAG0773.jpg IMAG0774.jpgIMAG0774.jpg IMAG0775.jpgIMAG0775.jpg IMAG0776.jpgIMAG0776.jpg IMAG0777.jpgIMAG0777.jpg IMAG0778.jpgIMAG0778.jpg IMAG0780.jpgIMAG0780.jpg IMAG0781.jpgIMAG0781.jpg IMAG0782.jpgIMAG0782.jpg IMAG0783.jpgIMAG0783.jpg
#2 10 years ago

I use a Countdown (same generation Gottlieb) head without the backglass mounted on my shop wall as a test fixture for System 1's.

I moved the transformers and bridges out of the base cab up into the head and a external switch tester.

I recently got the guts to a Spiderman and was going to look into making my test head System 80 compatible also.

#3 10 years ago

I recognize these from the Wednesday auction in Miles City. I was hoping to drive up, but life got in the way. Did you get a good price on this lot? Any chance you know what the Flash Gordon sold for? Just curious...

#4 10 years ago

Pat, a test fixture is a great idea. Have you ever felt a need to rob the parts from your test fixture for service?

#5 10 years ago

Canea, I got the flash for $170 and the Mystic cabinet and CE backbox for $55. The flash is playing 100% and will get a rubber kit, remote battery and new ball later in the week. I do need a bally 7 digit display for player 4.

It has a blown out lower playfield and had a bunch of bad connections and a blown transistor with a corresponding burnt pop bumper coil. There were also a couple of broken drop targets. I'm going to wax it with several more coats and live with it for a while. I'll try to sell it for Christmas.

The mystic playfield is in pretty good shape, but the cabinet is missing the transformer and rectifier board. With no backbox, I'll probably strip it and sell the parts or maybe make a wall hanging out of that illuminati playfield.

IMAG0752.jpgIMAG0752.jpg
IMAG0758.jpgIMAG0758.jpg
IMAG0759.jpgIMAG0759.jpg
IMAG0766.jpgIMAG0766.jpg

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from MTPPC:

Canea, I got the flash for $170 and the Mystic cabinet and CE backbox for $55. The flash is playing 100% and will get a rubber kit, remote battery and new ball later in the week. I do need a bally 7 digit display for player 4.

Nice! Good pick ups. Thought that Flash playfield looked blown-out from that little blurry auction picture but still a great price for a working game, and someone will enjoy it no doubt. There was a guy looking for a Mystic playfield on here not too long ago. I'd just put the Close Encounters backglass in a frame and hang it on the wall!

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from MTPPC:

Pat, a test fixture is a great idea. Have you ever felt a need to rob the parts from your test fixture for service?

Once in a while, if I am short a display I'll steal it off the fixture, fix a game then putz (that's code word to my wife for 'I'll be in the basement working on pins") with it later. Boards I have in it are meh as they have been beat up a bit.

2 weeks later
#8 10 years ago

I decided this will go into a simulator. Expected to be complete by the end of Turkey weekend:

IMAG0826.jpgIMAG0826.jpg IMAG0825.jpgIMAG0825.jpg
#9 10 years ago

Sand that back glass then add Crayola marker and spray pent to blend with old paint. Good as new Hank taut me

Also for your 4th player display just spray paint some black over that no one will ever know its not working.

#10 10 years ago

Flash Gordon is as done as it's going to be (at least while I own it):

IMAG0795.jpgIMAG0795.jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 7.50
Electronics
That Old Pinball
Electronics
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball
Electronics
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
1,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seattle, WA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-should-i-do-with-a-close-encounters-light-box-back-box and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.