(Topic ID: 133665)

what should i buy next? Ironman? TZ? IJ?

By rcbrown316

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 80 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 13 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20150801_173014.jpg
20150801_172949.jpg
unnamed_13.jpg
unnamed_14.jpg
unnamed_12.jpg
unnamed_9.jpg
unnamed_8.jpg
unnamed_7.jpg
unnamed_6.jpg
unnamed_4.jpg
car.jpg
jeep_1_2014_pic4.jpg
20150528_082449_zpssxiukdpp.jpg

There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

just sold my sttng. have a line on a super clean iron man. never played it though and got sick of spiderman pretty quick. It was to easy to keep hitting all those ramps. should I try ironman or spend a little more and find a twilight zone or indiana jones? based on my collection and preference for the bw/dmd games I would probably lean towards the latter 2 but I dont want to have tumnel vision and lose out on what might be a good deal on a good game. so the question is. will ironman feel the same to me as spiderman?. my sm was mint too.

#3 4 years ago

IJ all day, every day...

#4 4 years ago
#5 4 years ago

Either of those over IM

#6 4 years ago

Buy TZ and IJ - and send your Seawitch to me.

#7 4 years ago

There is only one answer. Iron Man is the best game ever made.

#8 4 years ago

You might want to play them before spending thousands of dollars at somebody elses suggestions.

#9 4 years ago

TZ is probably the best for you. IM is much more difficult than SM, but doesn't have a ton of different things to do. It sounds like you would prefer the variety on TZ over IM. IMO IJ scoring is too imbalanced - just keep repeating multi-ball and going for super jackpots. If you don't care about imbalanced scoring and can enjoy the game anyway, then IJ has a lot to do also.

#10 4 years ago

Very, very different games! For me, it would be IM all day, every day. I love the speed, the shots, the strategy, and the short games. Looking at your collection, I think any on your list would be a good addition and different from what you already own.

#11 4 years ago

I have IM and TZ, both are great games. If you like your BSD, you'll like IM, both are fast and very tough to advance. TZ is just such an amazing game on so many levels,must better than that TAF you have. I have less time on IJ, but Id love to own one some day. Don't think you can go wrong with any of them. You should try to play them all if you can before buying.

#12 4 years ago

look for twilight zone and Indiana jones

#13 4 years ago

I'd say go with IJ or IM. You already have Addams...while TZ, so you have that Lawlor card in your pocket.

I'd personally go for IM. Love the game

#14 4 years ago

do you like TAF? If so, you may really like TZ as well. I have both - I enjoy Lawlor games . Spiderman - I never really enjoyed. It never clicked with me and was one of the quickest ones to churn (time between purchasing and then selling) of any game I've bought.

Good luck with your decision.

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from rad:

do you like TAF?

I haven't played one yet lol. I'm serious too. It's in my shop and next on the list to complete. sm was out the door in 9 weeks. txi was 28 days "ooooooh taxi....SMACK"

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from rad:

do you like TAF? If so, you may really like TZ as well. I have both - I enjoy Lawlor games . spiderman - I never really enjoyed. It never clicked with me and was one of the quickest ones to churn (time between purchasing and then selling) of any game I've bought.
Good luck with your decision.

p.s. i have the same car. what year is yours?

#17 4 years ago

IM is a nasty game. As long as it is setup really steep, it is very rewarding. But it isn't for everyone. It can give you three games in 5 minutes and make you beg for mercy. Setup incorrectly, it is boring. The game is a throwback to older "short ball time" games. A 5 minute game is exhausting, and I don't think I've ever had a 10 minute game on mine. It has a simple ruleset and can be a total bitch. I freaking love the game just because of how quickly you can get to satisfying pinball. Draining when you have 4 out of 5 objectives towards the Do or Die hurryup is an exercise in frustration, as is missing the shot once you start it because all the points are going away.

That's the whole game. Do this, and get a pantload of points. Plus I love the War Machine multiball and the stacking. It is a great game.

Out of the other two, TZ by a mile. I am not an IJ fan. There is something about the game that annoys me. But TZ is very pure with a lot to do. So the decision comes down to what you want. Do you want a game to light your hair on fire and then put it out by slapping you so hard that the wind blows out the flames? IM is your guy. Or do you want a classic game that was ahead of its time. In that case TZ. Between those two you can't make a mistake.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

p.s. i have the same car. what year is yours?

I'm guessing you are referring to the Jeep TJ. It's a 2003 Rubicon - Tomb Raider package. I no longer have it - wasn't driving it much - had less than 40k miles on it when I sold it last year. If you are refering to the other Jeep - it is a 2000 - survived a "spill" my son had last winter (flip it over and drive it away - throw a "new" door, fender and a new axel on it for under $500 and call it good).

jeep_1_2014_pic4.jpg

#19 4 years ago

thanks for the feedback from all of you guys. much appreciated. I think IJ is tougher to find so I may not even need to factor it in. let me ask about speed of play. i like it fast. like really f'n fast. I have them all dialed in nicely and jacked up real good. sttng is a dog compared to the other 4 on this wall.

20150528_082449_zpssxiukdpp.jpg

afm is probably the fastest with regards to overall ball travel speed. Indy is next in the same category. Dracula is "right back in your face" faster than all of them though with regards to direct hits coming back at you. then shadow then sttng. so next question. TZ is a wide body, is it faster than sttng?

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from rad:

I'm guessing you are referring to the Jeep TJ. It's a 2003 Rubicon - Tomb Raider package. I no longer have it - wasn't driving it much - had less than 40k miles on it when I sold it last year. If you are refering to the other Jeep - it is a 2000 - survived a "spill" my son had last winter (flip it over and drive it away - throw a "new" door, fender and a new axel on it for under $500 and call it good).

jeep_1_2014_pic4.jpg

nope...

car.jpg

#21 4 years ago

the weinermobile! I should have known. Doh!

#22 4 years ago

TZ in good shape can be brutal fast - but it's still a stop and go game.

If your main focus is FAST -> get Iron Man!

#23 4 years ago

TZ faster than STNG, But I wouldn't call TZ or IJ fast...I mean not even in the same quadrant if you're factoring in IM.

#24 4 years ago

If you like "fast like really f'n fast", IM would be the way to go. IM has a couple magnets that throw the ball around and ruin your day, TZ has a couple magnets to stop the ball and give you a chance for a nice shot. IM is about bashing a giant evil drain toy, TZ is about nice safe ramps and scoops. They're polar opposites.

#25 4 years ago

If you want fast go with ironman

#26 4 years ago

I have all 3 games. While IM is my least favorite (of the 3), it is certainly the fastest.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

TZ faster than STNG, But I wouldn't call TZ or IJ fast...I mean not even in the same quadrant if you're factoring in IM.

You must have played some crappy IJs. I had the back of my machine cranked all the way up and the ball was flying off the ramps, flying off the targets, and the orbit shot? Forget it. The damn ball came back around so quick I was hardly ever ready for it.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You might want to play them before spending thousands of dollars at somebody elses suggestions.

Where's the fun in that?

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

You must have played some crappy IJs. I had the back of my machine cranked all the way up

Because you have made your IJ super fast, does not make IJ a super fast machine.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Because you have made your IJ super fast, does not make IJ a super fast machine.

But then you can say that about any machine...no?

#31 4 years ago

I have all three and if you want fast there is no comparison.. Iron Man

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

But then you can say that about any machine...no?

When speaking of the way machines play, we sort of have to assume they are set up the way they were intended to.
Obviously IJ at 9 degrees cleared and waxed will be faster than a dirty IM at the bowling alley laying flat...or evfen something less extreme

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

When speaking of the way machines play, we sort of have to assume they are set up the way they were intended to.
Obviously IJ at 9 degrees cleared and waxed will be faster than a dirty IM at the bowling alley laying flat...or evfen something less extreme

this is an "all things being equal" question. I may have my afm pitched a bit higher but it's close to sttng on the inclinometer. pace of the action is in a different league. not even close

#34 4 years ago

thanks man, I think I'm gonna go with this

#35 4 years ago

Like em fast...IM or try Johnny

#36 4 years ago

Tz or ij

#37 4 years ago

I've owned IJ and IM. IJ lasted maybe 6 months. IM has kicked my butt for almost a year now. Kept me craving one game after another. But, I'm biased in this situation too

#38 4 years ago

IJ all the way- good flow, deep rules- lots of fun modes and awesome theme. TZ is a good choice as well- just more stop and go type of gameplay.
Owned IM - punishing pin with awesome flow and speed; however IMO rules are a bit on the shallow side.
All good choices worth owning.

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from ff6735:

I've owned IJ and IM. IJ lasted maybe 6 months. IM has kicked my butt for almost a year now. Kept me craving one game after another. But, I'm biased in this situation too

Can't believe you sold that IJ. That was a beauty, and that was the one I would have bought if you hadn't snagged it. Got another one and loved it so much I shipped it off to HEP...

#40 4 years ago

just played tz on playstation again. other two arent available on farsight yet. leaning towards tz now. never played any of them in person though but that can be said for all but black knight, blackout and space invaders in my collection and history

#41 4 years ago

Dude...come down to Buffalo....wings n beer on me....IM on location at pool hall...(with 14 other pins)................Joey

#42 4 years ago

Ohh yaa...on topic....IM all day...I've played plenty of IJ...good but IM for me....dying to try a TZ.....can comment there after I get my butt to modern.................Joey

#43 4 years ago

Ah, another insightful thread of neverending knowledge asking strangers what someone should buy. It's just as Genius as the other 327 threads that are chalked full of just as much genius.

#44 4 years ago

Ah...another ray of sunshine who's post are just as meaningless as the rest of us....................Joey

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Where's the fun in that?

You're right. Lets burn something else.

#46 4 years ago

If you are looking for fast game, then IM for sure !

#47 4 years ago

If you got sick of SM fast, I bet it will be the same with IM. It's a super fast game, but not worth the price it commands IMO. Just wasn't enough to keep me interested other than trying to catch lightning in a bottle. My GF was pretty disappointed you hardly ever hear Tony Starks voice too. It is kind of weird.

TZ and IJ offer way more, just not sure speed is one of them comparing to IM.

#48 4 years ago

Fantasy raceway on Dewey ave has ij and tz not perfect shape but you can play

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from Snowyetti:

Fantasy raceway on Dewey ave has ij and tz not perfect shape but you can play

awesome! thanks man I will go there and try them for sure.

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Ah, another insightful thread of neverending knowledge asking strangers what someone should buy. It's just as Genius as the other 327 threads that are chalked full of just as much genius.

I was asking for an opinion on three games, not on my thread. since you helped me with some scans I won't be a complete d-head

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside