(Topic ID: 12)

What would you like to see next on Pinside.com?

By robin

15 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 330 posts
  • 140 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by robin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sealclubber.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#35 14 years ago

This is a great site. I too wish there were a page for Where to play public pinball machines. Registered users should be able to add/delete and edit the postings. Required fields should be Name of Store/location, City, State/Province and Country, and Number of machines. Optional fields could be the actual address, names of the machines present, pics, how well are the machines maintained, store hours, and a text field to add other misc info. The website should automatically Date Stamp the last time that post was updated so we know how relevent the info is.

A separate archive for EM machines would be cool too. Wouldn't that pinball buyer's guide have a good list?

#42 14 years ago

You could pare it down and rent a pontoon boat on a lake.

#48 14 years ago

Ooh, sweet. Gonna have to get me one of those the next time I order from them. Which color did you choose?

Terry at Pinballlife recommends Orange so that is what I am going to order.

2 months later
    #57 14 years ago

Isn't that what the forum is about?

4 months later
    #68 13 years ago

I could be the clubber of the month one day. Woohoo!

#71 13 years ago

Being able to do a search for a particular member so you can PM them or whatever. Not sure if we can do that now but I can't figure it out.

6 months later
    #87 13 years ago

I am not trying to be a wise guy but an average score doesn't matter how many there are in the sample. Whether it be 3 or 300, a simple average is a simple average. What you are suggesting is the rating scheme use a weighted average. So machines with more ratings should have some sort of bonus to their score.
    1) Not sure how Robin could implement this.
    2) Not sure it should. Pins which were produced more would likely have more people who have played them and hence more ratings. Just because they produced more of a pin doesn't mean it is better. Take F14 Tomcat. They made 14000 of these. Does that mean it is a better pin than MM or Spiderman?

#91 13 years ago

I understand what you are saying MCO but there is no way around that with a simple average. The only way to compensate is to weight the ratings in favor of pins with more ratings. It is my opinion that this will skew the results.
    The rankings are just a tool. Interpreting the ratings is where the human factor comes in.

That scenario has happened in the past. There was an old rare pin which finally got it's 6 required ratings to make it on the top 100. Practically everyone gave it a 10 and it was now #1. Robin then made the requirement 8 ratings. Unfortunately the machine will probably hit #1 again when two more people rate it.
    Iron Man also was #1 when it first came out because the first 8 people who rated it gave it a 9+. It quickly moved down the rankings but...

My question is this, is a game better just because more people have played it?
    Is it better just because more people have decided to rate it?

6 months later
    4 months later
    #269 12 years ago

Probably why I cannot access Pinside at work anymore. Thanks guys.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sealclubber.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-should-be-next-on-pinsidecom?tu=sealclubber and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.