(Topic ID: 12)

What would you like to see next on Pinside.com?

By robin

11 years ago

Topic Stats

• 330 posts
  • 140 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by robin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

This topic is closed.

There are 330 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.
    #301 7 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

When you open a thread, it should go o the latest post, not the first one...

That would be nice for us who are using an ipad or cell phone to check the updates. Good call tomdotcom.

#302 7 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

When you open a thread, it should go o the latest post, not the first one...

That feature already exists. All you have to do is click the "freshness" of any particular thread, like 15 minutes, 2 hours, 2 days, etc... I just found this out myself a couple months ago, pretty handy.

#303 7 years ago

Need to add an auction ability to the marketplace. Not 7 days like eBay, but 1 day and the owner decides to make the sale. Too many threads become auctions.

#304 7 years ago

Thx flippermagician!! Never even knew you could click that!

#305 7 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

Thx flippermagician!! Never even knew you could click that!

No problem, I think Robin mentioned it in another thread....maybe even this one, I had no idea and was instantly amazed too.

#306 7 years ago

More search filters on the Marketplace.

And less heartless people

#307 7 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

what you would like to see happen with Pinside.com next

The search function modification, so you can sort by date, is needed badly...the current search function essentially useless as a tool today.

Robert

#308 7 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

tomdotcom said:When you open a thread, it should go o the latest post, not the first one...
    That would be nice for us who are using an ipad or cell phone to check the updates. Good call tomdotcom.

If you are checking updates, it sort of already does that. Just click on the new count to the right and it takes you to where you left off in the thread last time you read it.

#309 7 years ago
    Quoted from MrSanRamon:

robin said:what you would like to see happen with Pinside.com next
    The search function modification, so you can sort by date, is needed badly...the current search function essentially useless as a tool today.
    Robert

This. The search function is horrible as is.

This may already exist, but how about a way to search a particular user's posts (other than my own)? Like a "see all posts by/threads started by ___" function. I was trying to find this feature the other day, but couldn't figure it out.

Tapatalk functionality for smartphone/iPad users.

Let us post image tags, for crying out loud. I HATE that I have to upload pics, since I prefer to post from my iPhone. It also makes it much harder to integrate photos into telling a story with your pics (without having to edit). I'd love to be able to just post an image tag from my photobucket account.

#310 7 years ago

I would like to be able to delete my entire post if I make a double or quadruple posts by accident.

It would also be handy to get email notices for a subscribed topic.

Sorry if these have already been suggested.

#311 7 years ago
    Quoted from Shoot_Again:

More search filters on the Marketplace.

Suggestions on what kind of filters?

Quoted from MrSanRamon:

The current search is powered by Google custom Search. I did this because the huge influx of new users was also putting a lot of stress on the database. Handing search off to Google solved this issue quick n' easy. I agree that the search is very limited, and date sorting is needed badly - I'm open to suggestions how we could best tackle this. Indexing our MySQL? SOLR? Another Search-as-a-service provider? Feel free to chime in!

Quoted from 30FathomDave:

This may already exist, but how about a way to search a particular user's posts (other than my own)? Like a "see all posts by/threads started by __" function. I was trying to find this feature the other day, but couldn't figure it out.

This is already possible! Hover you mouse over a user's "backbox" and choose "posts".
    On an iPad you would tap the "backbox" and the lil' menu containing "posts" link will be displayed.

Tapatalk functionality for smartphone/iPad users.

I've looked into this but can't really see any huge advantage, at least not any that benefits the larger part of Pinside community at this time. And also considering the time it would take me to integrate this. On a side note: Tapatalk is not even free, nor is it opensource. Lastly, I want people to enjoy the full Pinside website which I've tried so hard to integrate with the forum (locations, collections, ratings, archive etc)

#312 7 years ago

Let us post image tags, for crying out loud. I HATE that I have to upload pics, since I prefer to post from my iPhone. It also makes it much harder to integrate photos into telling a story with your pics (without having to edit). I'd love to be able to just post an image tag from my photobucket account.

I agree with you on this one. And have plans to build some functionality to accomodate this. The reason I am not simply enabling IMG tags to be rendered inline are twofold:

1) I'm worried for dead image links. How many other forums (and even old threads on RGP, for example) don't have dead links that often make the thread more or less useless. For example, a tech question about the location of a plastic. Someone answers with a picture hosted on their photobucket. But when they decide to quit photobucket, the image disappears and the thread becomes useless. Hope I'm making sense here.

2) Copyrights. What I could do is recognize image urls, copy the images to the Pinside server and host them from there indefinitely. But then things like copyrights come into play. So I'm not sure yet how to proceed with this.

So for now, we're stuck with the current uploading implementation.

#313 7 years ago
    Quoted from OTTOgd:

I would like to be able to delete my entire post if I make a double or quadruple posts by accident.

It would also be handy to get email notices for a subscribed topic.

Sorry if these have already been suggested.

Subscribing may be a possibility for the near future. This wa snot possible for a long time because our e-mail was being handled by a third party and we had hard limits on how much e-mail we could send.

Last month we set up our own Pinside e-mail server which no longer imposes these sending limits. I can imagine building a "digest" e-mail feature in the near future.

Being able to delete your own posts (while in the "editable" state) is a good idea, I'll add this to the to-do.

#314 7 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

Handing search off to Google solved this issue quick n' easy

Yes it did. It basically stopped me from bothering to search AT ALL! Sorry Robin. Love ya like a brother but all the workarounds do NOT work to sort by date. I can't state in strong enough terms how much I despise the "new" google search on pinside. Sorry.

#315 7 years ago

What about a feature where we could indicate certain pins we own are "avail for trade". Then have a site search/match feature to match us up with people who have a game on our want list that have indicated they have it available for trade.

I think this could facilitate trades quite splendidly. I am on a completely different site (not pin related, but a collection/discussion site) that has this feature already and I could show you it if that helps explain this.

#316 7 years ago

How about being able to add pitch and bat games to our collection list?? I'm guessing there are a lot of collectors here who have pins and p&b's. Adding shuffle bowlers etc... dunno. Video games...no.

#317 7 years ago

How about a feature by which we can mark all posts as "Read"? I'm still sorting though thread over 3 years old.

#318 7 years ago
    Quoted from jonogo:

What about a feature where we could indicate certain pins we own are "avail for trade". Then have a site search/match feature to match us up with people who have a game on our want list that have indicated they have it available for trade.

I like this idea a lot.

#319 7 years ago

When viewing forum in android, 2/3 time thread title is displayed and status button is in the right column. The other threads are list but the status button is a full page to the right. Any way to force the status button to be formatted to stay in one cilumn? Maybe it doesn't matter when viewing on pc, but on phone it does.

I am still not finding the freshness feature. Don't know if it is on indidual thread pages, but it would be nice to select on the forum front page so that it filter out lots if stuff previously posted.

#320 7 years ago
    Quoted from Foo:

How about being able to add pitch and bat games to our collection list?? I'm guessing there are a lot of collectors here who have pins and p&b's. Adding shuffle bowlers etc... dunno. Video games...no.

I've got Williams Pennant Fever (1984) on my owned list and have Williams Slugfest (1991) on my want list. Do you mean other p&b? I think the old World Series one is on here too..

#321 7 years ago

I think the tilt warnings have to go, or be modified to allow users to "un-tilt" a post. From what I have seen it is more often mis-used than used correctly. It seems that people think if they don't like the content for any reason then it is OK to tilt a post... and un-hiding tilted posts is sometimes a nuisance. For whatever reason, the site will not save my "Tilt Hide" setting.

#322 7 years ago
    Quoted from Buschjs:

I think the tilt warnings have to go, or be modified to allow users to "un-tilt" a post.

+1

I've seen more tilt warnings on post where I have NO CLUE why its tilted.

Then again, I've also see tilts on posts that mention God, or boobs, or beer, or other themes that are non-deserving of a "tilt".. Unless the aforementioned 3 were used in the same sentence. I can see that pissing someone off.

#323 7 years ago
    Quoted from jonogo:

I've got Williams Pennant Fever (1984) on my owned list and have Williams SlugFest (1991) on my want list. Do you mean other p&b? I think the old World Series one is on here too..

Hmmm... I'll have to check mine again. Chicago Coin Super Par Golf and a Williams 57 Deluxe. Maybe I'll have to try variations of the game names for it to work.

#324 7 years ago

Ok, I did not read all of the previous posts... but I'd just like to say that adding the ability to search by date when searching the posts would be very helpful. Now that there are so many posts, it is becoming more important. On RGP, you can sort search results by date and I use that on a regular basis. Also, showing the date for the search results would be nice...

#325 7 years ago
    Quoted from Foo:

jonogo said:

I've got Williams Pennant Fever (1984) on my owned list and have Williams SlugFest (1991) on my want list. Do you mean other p&b? I think the old World Series one is on here too..

Hmmm... I'll have to check mine again. Chicago Coin Super Par Golf and a Williams 57 Deluxe. Maybe I'll have to try variations of the game names for it to work.

My games don't come up....

#326 7 years ago
    Quoted from Foo:

Maybe Robin or another Mod needs to add them? My 2 are arguably the most popular and current P&B that could have something to do with it too..

#327 7 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

30FathomDave said:
    I agree with you on this one. And have plans to build some functionality to accomodate this. The reason I am not simply enabling IMG tags to be rendered inline are twofold:
    1) I'm worried for dead image links. How many other forums (and even old threads on RGP, for example) don't have dead links that often make the thread more or less useless. For example, a tech question about the location of a plastic. Someone answers with a picture hosted on their photobucket. But when they decide to quit photobucket, the image disappears and the thread becomes useless. Hope I'm making sense here.
    2) Copyrights. What I could do is recognize image urls, copy the images to the Pinside server and host them from there indefinitely. But then things like copyrights come into play. So I'm not sure yet how to proceed with this.
    So for now, we're stuck with the current uploading implementation.

I think you can handle it using method two. But rather than take an IMG tag, allow an image from URL in the image upload section. Add a checkbox that user agrees he has rights to the image and you should be covered under the user generated content criteria.

#328 7 years ago
    Quoted from Buschjs:

I think the tilt warnings have to go, or be modified to allow users to "un-tilt" a post. From what I have seen it is more often mis-used than used correctly. It seems that people think if they don't like the content for any reason then it is OK to tilt a post... and un-hiding tilted posts is sometimes a nuisance. For whatever reason, the site will not save my "Tilt Hide" setting.

There is definitely a problem with how these work. There are even users that are getting tilted by other users no matter what they post.

#329 7 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

I think you can handle it using method two. But rather than take an IMG tag, allow an image from URL in the image upload section. Add a checkbox that user agrees he has rights to the image and you should be covered under the user generated content criteria.

Good suggestion. Maybe I can combine this with another feature I had on my to-do list: image captions. For pasted image urls, the caption could be set to automatically include the original image url.

Copyrights may not be a problem if the image is being resized to our forum format (say, 800 pixels wide) and we publish the original url below it. Google Image Search basically does the same thing.

Quoted from Cliffy:

Yes it did. It basically stopped me from bothering to search AT ALL! Sorry Robin. Love ya like a brother but all the workarounds do NOT work to sort by date. I can't state in strong enough terms how much I despise the "new" google search on pinside. Sorry.

Don't worry about it. I agree that we need better search. I'm currently looking into adding a SOLR search engine to the site but this takes quite some effort as this is totally new material to me and I have to do this in my spare time (which is rather limited). Please be patient as I will make search better!

Quoted from Foo:

Pitch and bat games were not included in the Pinside archives because our idea was to only include games with two or more flippers. Just as we originally did not include EM games. The P&B games that are_ in our database made it there accidentally. I'm not against adding them, it's just that it takes a lot of time and effort and there never was any request for it (until now).

Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:When viewing forum in android, 2/3 time thread title is displayed and status button is in the right column. The other threads are list but the status button is a full page to the right. Any way to force the status button to be formatted to stay in one cilumn? Maybe it doesn't matter when viewing on pc, but on phone it does.

I am still not finding the freshness feature. Don't know if it is on indidual thread pages, but it would be nice to select on the forum front page so that it filter out lots if stuff previously posted.

I've been reading your post a couple of times, but i can't make sense of it. Sorry, must be because I'm Dutch. Could you perhaps explain it in a different way so I understand the issue you are describing?

Quoted from Buschjs:

I think the tilt warnings have to go, or be modified to allow users to "un-tilt" a post.

There are issues with the Tilt system as well as the rating system. Remember, what's out there now is my first attempt ("in beta" so to speak). Expect it to change in the future. I agree that Tilt is currently being abused too often - there will be mechanisms where mods can un-tilt a post. There will also be "punishment" for abuse of the Tilt system. Probably a (temporarily) ban on using the Tilt feature for people who abuse it.

#330 7 years ago

Phew, this is all getting really confusing - all these suggestions and questions in one thread.

I suggest we start up new (separate) threads for each suggestion in the Pinside's new "Pinside Website" sub-forum.

So please open a new topic (thread) in that sub-forum if you want to post a suggestion for the site or if you want to continue the discussion we were having in here - I'm getting really confused with all these different features/bugs/suggestions in this one topic.

Closing this one down...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 139.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 22.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 11.95
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 94.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 67.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 269.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 149.00
    $ 7.65
    Cabinet Parts
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 159.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Gameroom Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    € 197.00
    Displays
    PINBALLSP
    There are 330 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.

This topic is closed.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside