(Topic ID: 12)

What would you like to see next on Pinside.com?

By robin

15 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 330 posts
  • 140 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by robin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

This topic is closed.

There are 330 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.
    #151 12 years ago

I'd like to see better search capabilities. For example:

1) The ability to match keywords with a particular member
    2) The ability to search the entire thread or limit the search to thread titles only
    3) The ability to search through a certain date range

This would make it a lot easier to find stuff in the archives.

#152 12 years ago

I too would love to see a chat room!

#154 12 years ago

The option of being able to delete your own thread.

#155 12 years ago

How about being able to rank your wishlist.

#156 12 years ago

EMs! EMs! EMs!
    If I can support all 5700 IPDB entries in my crappy Pinball Maps web app, you can support them here! I'll send you all the digests again soon as they've updated.

#157 12 years ago

Maybe filtering in the market for more advanced searches... Like the option to search only within my area or within a certain price range.

#158 12 years ago

how about extending the archive search to more than 50. 75 and or 100
    plus how about a total listing of all qualified ratings

#159 12 years ago

Add earning Karma points for donating.

#160 12 years ago

One more thing for the market. Show the listing state so you don't have to click the map to see where Sasaskatoon (or whatever) is.

#161 12 years ago

I didn't read this thread word for word so please forgive me if I am repeating something.

I would like the option to have links people post in threads open in another browser tab. I am constantly clicking on a link and forgetting to right click on it to open in another tab. Then I almost always accidentally close that tab and have to re-open my connection to Pinside and then remember where I was...

Most other forums already do this as a practice.

#162 12 years ago

If a problem has already been discussed I'd like to be able to put my problem in quotes "" and pick up the threads. Try it and see what you get. It's a mess. No, disrespect to you Robin. There's none better, than this site, thanks to you. I'm just trying to come up with something productive.

#163 12 years ago

the addition of em pins. if i can help in any way with this please let me know.

#164 12 years ago

In the Pinside Market Place it would be very helpful if we could separate the wanted from the machines for sale. Maybe different tabs for them both?

#165 12 years ago

I'd like to see enhanced search capabilities in the Market area. Esp search by location if possible.

#166 12 years ago

The biggest difference you could make to improve the forum and encourage more involvement by members in each thread would be to give the ability to subscribe to threads and receive email notifications whenever someone posts to a subscribed thread.

I personally rely heavily on email notifications for the numerous forums that I subscribe to. Since Pinside doesn't have email notifications, I tend to post here much less frequently and I probably don't always respond to questions that may be asked of me because of it.

#167 12 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

The biggest difference you could make to improve the forum and encourage more involvement by members in each thread would be to give the ability to subscribe to threads and receive email notifications whenever someone posts to a subscribed thread.

+1

Would love that. Sometimes I forget what threads I've posted in.

#168 12 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

While this sounds like a great idea, at the moment we're a bit reluctant to implement it, as we fear this will greatly increase the stress on our mail server.

However, there is a solid alternative. You can add all the topics you find interesting / have posts in to you favorites using the 'Add this topic to your favorites'-link at the top of each thread. Now, if you go to your favorites, you can subscribe to its RSS feed. If you use this feed in your favorite mail client or RSS Reader, this gives you basically the same functionality.

Since the favorites-link is not very accessible at the moment we're considering making it a bit more prominent.

#169 12 years ago

I'm going to repeat myself:
    Links in forum opens in new tab/window
    Please

#170 12 years ago

A site map/index page. A page with nothing but links to every member assessable part of Pinside.

#171 12 years ago

Don't know if this was mentioned but, when I edit a post if have to type in *edit* to convey the fact that I made a change to my post. On other forums this is automatically inserted into my post by saying, "Last edited by shock_me on .....date". It's a nice convenience to have it done automatically.

Thanks

#172 12 years ago
    Quoted from shock_me:

Don't know if this was mentioned but, when I edit a post if have to type in *edit* to convey the fact that I made a change to my post. On other forums this is automatically inserted into my post by saying, "Last edited by shock_me on .....date". It's a nice convenience to have it done automatically.Thanks

That would suck because all of my posts would read *edit* then the *edit* *edit* and then *edit* *edit*. Needless to say I edit a lot and would not want that all over my posts when I am correcting spelling and other things.

#173 12 years ago

T_D_A, it doesn't work that way. It only says "edited by" once on the bottom of the post in smaller text. You can edit your post multiple times and only the time and date change in the "edited by" text.

#174 12 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

That would suck because all of my posts would read *edit* then the *edit* *edit* and then *edit* *edit*. Needless to say I edit a lot and would not want that all over my posts when I am correcting spelling and other things.

Agreed

#175 12 years ago

Is there an obvious "Compose New Message" button for Pinside mail that I'm just missing? I always seem to have trouble when trying to send a new mail to someone.

Also, If you could start typing a name for the recipient of the Pinside mail on a new message and it would try to auto-fill a member name based one what you are typing that would be a great feature too.

#176 12 years ago

Below is an example of what I'm talking about, but it should be in smaller text. No biggie really.

Think of it this way: If you go back and change something in your original post and the thread has advanced beyond your post, how would anyone know you've changed something? I'm talking about if you've added content to explain your post better, not spelling or grammar changes.

Last edited by shock_me on Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#177 12 years ago
    Quoted from shock_me:

Last edited by shock_me on Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Got ya, I would be shaking my head at the number of times edited for my posts. Maybe I was an editor in a past life or something but I can't help myself.

#178 12 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Maybe I was an editor in a past life or something but I can't help myself.

You strive for perfection T_D_A, nuthin' wrong with that

#179 12 years ago

Given all the recent negativity and aggression on the forum, an "ignore" but would certainly come in handy.

#180 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Given all the recent negativity and aggression on the forum, an "ignore" but would certainly come in handy.

BIG PLUS ONE ON THAT. If we could click on a profile and check an ignore option which would eliminate our profile from seeing their posts that would be very sweet indeed!!

#181 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

BIG PLUS TWO ON THAT.

#182 12 years ago

I would like to put my personnal high score on each machine i played.

#185 12 years ago

I'd like to have more power - the ban hammer or Bens hammer or the hammer that Thor uses
    call it what you will the power to put a member on ice for 13 days or not let him post anything.
    A friendly Pinside time out with no questions asked or reason given.
    like Curtis LeMay to JFK in '62........ give me more power give me the hammer

#186 12 years ago
    Quoted from Holy_Pickle:

I like this, That's a great idea. maybe leaderboards? that way we can work to develop a kind of friendly competition community. Of course it's all on the honor system.

#187 12 years ago
    Quoted from HELLODEADCITY:

I'd like to have more power - the ban hammer

That's not a good idea. One then I've noticed about moderators, given the power...we use it!

A undeserved ban is why I changed airbrush forums. I proved a mod wrong and he copped a attitude and deleted the post where I proved him wrong and ban me for 24 hours. I contacted the owner/admin and got BS back about it, so on so forth...End result, it ain't good.

#188 12 years ago

I hear what you are saying jrrdw and politely disagree - I would of used it already
    It's a tool for peace not a weapon for war

#189 12 years ago
    Quoted from Holy_Pickle:

Awesome idea!

#190 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I see this for Pinmail, but I guess I'm not seeing how this would work in the forum. Its not like caller ID or email addy filter where one could choose not to get something from someone. If I ignored someone here, would their forum posts simply not be visible to me? What about quotes from an ignored ID in someone elses post?

#191 12 years ago
    Quoted from Holy_Pickle:

+1, and add another for the leader board idea

#192 12 years ago

I'd like to see a sticky thread for links to price guides.

If there's 1 thing that gets alot of questions is people looking for advice on pricing
    pins.

With a stickied thread for price guides it gives the individual MORE info to base their
    pricing decisions on.

Thanks Robin, I come to this site everyday, multiple times a day. It's probably my most visited
    site on the internet. I REALLY appreciate all the hard work and effort that you put into the site.

When I get some righteous bucks I'm going to make a sizeable donation to the site.
    You deserve more from me than you've received, which right now is zero. I will make sure
    you receive a donation from me.

#193 12 years ago
    Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

Holy_Pickle said:

I like this, That's a great idea. maybe leaderboards? that way we can work to develop a kind of friendly competition community. Of course it's all on the honor system.

It would be fun to see how ''good'' or ''bad'' i am. I made 99 000 000 on NGG. I think it is a good score but maybe it is only a ''average'' score who knows??

#194 12 years ago
    Quoted from Martijn:

While this sounds like a great idea, at the moment we're a bit reluctant to implement it, as we fear this will greatly increase the stress on our mail server.

What you guys *really* need to do is use Vbulletin, or something similar.

The forum software here is definitely my least favorite thing about Pinside.

#195 12 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

What you guys *really* need to do is use Vbulletin, or something similar.

Really? Wow, I really have to disagree on that as I am particularly fond of our forum software! What I like about it is that it's initially very bare bones and well integrated with the rest of the site. We have done a lot of research two years ago, when we first had plans for a forum, and found all existing forum solutions so bloated. We eventually settled on this tiny open source forum software called bbpress, which we could shape into our 'pinside' way. Many (and I do mean many!) hours went into the building and extending of the forum software and integrating it into the existing Pinside. There is no way we're going to swap it for another. Sorry to disappoint you, RobT!

#196 12 years ago
    Quoted from shock_me:

Don't know if this was mentioned but, when I edit a post if have to type in *edit* to convey the fact that I made a change to my post.

I have build this functionality yesterday and it is now ready for use. When editing your post, simply click the "Add edit reason" button on the lower right side of the message text box.

Post edited by robin : Look, here is an example of an edit reason text block!

#197 12 years ago
    Quoted from Thunderpants:

I'm going to repeat myself:
    Links in forum opens in new tab/window
    Please

I'm sorry, that would not be a good idea in my opinion. A good explanation why can be found here: http://uxdesign.smashingmagazine.com/2008/07/01/should-links-open-in-new-windows/

My own main reasoning: You should be able to choose yourself wether links open in new windows. You can now choose to do this by holding ctrl or shift when clicking a link. You can also click a link with your middle mouse button if you have one. If links would all open in new windows by themselves there would be no way to stop them from doing so (there's no un-shift button so to speak).

I hope that explains it well. Thanks for the suggestion though!

#198 12 years ago
    Quoted from robin:

I have build this functionality yesterday and it is now ready for use. When editing your post, simply click the "Add edit reason" button on the lower right side of the message text box.

I noticed earlier today, and I've already used it! I thank you sir. Sent you a pm about it earlier.

Cheers

#199 12 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

the addition of em pins. if i can help in any way with this please let me know.

We're working on this! As soon as it launches I will put a post up and ask everyone's help to give the EM machines thumbnails and fill in their details!

#200 12 years ago

Are EM going to be mixed in with the SS rankings? I personally hope they're separate because, while I do enjoy looking at them, I don't have as much interest in them.

There are 330 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-should-be-next-on-pinsidecom/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.