(Topic ID: 22434)

What should an LE consist of. Gary Stern, time to listen to your customer!

By thedarkknight77

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 124 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by AkumaZeto
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#113 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Just an FYI, Stern has listened to its customers. This is why the Premium / LE type lines exist in the first place. His solution was to cut costs over and over. His customers didnt like that. So his next step was to create more full featured machines at a more premium price. (Yes, this started *before* JJP existed with TRON LE). Personally, I don't think "But I don't want to pay more" is a valid argument. We cant expect someone to do something we want and then charge the price wa want, too. I think not buying if you're not happy is valid, though.

What you said is it in a nutshell.

STERN has figured out the mentality of collectors in the last couple years. No matter what collectors say about costs, bill of materials, "think of the noobies", blah blah blah, they all ultimately want one thing: the same or better toys than other collectors.

The funny thing is I don't think it has anything to do with the gameplay, which is marginally different in the LE/Premiums, and sometimes, arguably inferior (TF mini-pf comes to mind). It's just one has a LE badge, and other has a Pro badge, therefore, "if I'm playing a Pro I must be having less fun".

#122 11 years ago
    Quoted from AkumaZeto:

This is the complete opposite of what needs to happen. The game play should never differ. Its not the same game if it does. The games should never be different software wise either. Xmen is good becasue it still has NC in the software Ice man in the software etc. It is wrong to penalize the player based on what model they played.
    Pro models being aimed at route situations. Do you think a player should play a pro and go i would like to own this then get a LE and its completely different? Or a player play the pro on route then go to a tournament where the LE is significantly different?
    This is quickly turning into a elitist club which is not good. Even the designers i have spoken too see it the same way. Hence why xmen is the way it is.

Ha ha, I just talked about this and sure enough here it is. The gameplay is very marginally different between the models. At least, the features in either one don't make or break the pro or LE. This "different rules" argument that's continually harped on is vastly overstated. I have yet to ever meet a person who said, "Wow Tron Pro sucks, but the LE is great."

Going to tournaments? At a tournament, unless your name ends in Kerins or Elwin you can expect 50% of the games or more to be ones you've never seen before. But Stern should change their product strategy because a player might have to be aware of an additional mode or two?

Pinball ownership has ALWAYS been an elitist club. Who are these poor, destitute collectors being crowded into homeless shelters and using a translite as a blanket? How many people do I know who can come up with 5k for a pro but would descend into abject 3rd world poverty if they had to cough up an additional 2k for a premium/LE? By God, why is there no charity for this forgotten underclass?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jonnyo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-should-an-le-consist-of-gary-stern-time-to-listen-to-your-customer?tu=jonnyo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.