(Topic ID: 335027)

What should a new pinball owner buy to maintain a pin?

By rai

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by undrdog
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F7EC5D0C-0881-4CF4-9EB6-910B3E983CE9 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    #1 1 year ago

My cousins husband is buying a first pin. He’s never owned one but has played pinball and after taking to me has decided to buy one.

He doesn’t know one thing about owning a pin.

I usually recommend buying a cheaper starter pin and working up over time but he wants to hit the ground running and has ordered a NIB Star Wars premium.

I just wanted to ask the experts what’s the beginners tool kit or other products he should consider.

I told him to buy some new carbon pinballs just in case the game comes with rusty balls.

Also a leaf switch tool.

What else is essential tools for first timer?

#2 1 year ago

https://www.pinballnews.com/learn/toolkit/index.html

Todd Andersen wrote a good article for you.
    LTG : )

#3 1 year ago

A second one to keep it company!

It's inevitable.

#4 1 year ago

You probably won't need a switch leaf tool on any games made today. Maybe for an EOS switch or slingshot but you can usually adjust those by hand.

Long handle magnetic nut driver set
    Long handle allen driver set
    Philips screwdrivers
    Magnetic pickup tool
    Flashlight
    Soldering station
    Digital multimeter

#7 1 year ago

For a brand new game? Replacement balls, maybe. Socket wrench to put the legs on, otherwise I wouldn't got out and get a soldering station and a bunch of tools. Wait until something breaks or the games start to multiply.

#8 1 year ago

I agree. I was thinking EMs.

#9 1 year ago

lockdown bar desanitizer

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

For a brand new game? Replacement balls, maybe. Socket wrench to put the legs on, otherwise I wouldn't got out and get a soldering station and a bunch of tools. Wait until something breaks or the games start to multiply.

I agree that not needing a soldering station.

I use my gap tool more than anything else (besides screw or nut drivers).

New balls? Might not need but I’ve gotten a new game or two that had rusted balls. It wasn’t a problem because I keep a few dozen balls around.

#11 1 year ago

A multimeter, doesn't need to be anything fancy. $15-30 on Amazon gives you plenty of choices.

An random screen grab from Amazon:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #12 1 year ago

One of those little tool kit units with the clear plastic sliding drawers, containing Spare bulbs for each color in some drawers, spare rubbers and flipper rubbers, an assortment of washers and spacers (brand new machines need some adjustment) a sheet of Mylar for protecting certain areas, mill wax and a stack of microfiber towels.

#13 1 year ago

Harbour Freight lift table.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from drummermike:

Harbour Freight lift table.

Not for one game......though i like your enthusiasm......

#15 1 year ago

An electrician's screwdriver kit for 99% of the issues I've seen in my home pin. And a nail file to clean leaf switches for most of the rest (I have an EM). A couple of pairs of pliers to help bend ramps and such are also useful. A soldering iron probably won't be used too much, but when you need it, you need it.

For me, it's less about the tools and more about having the replacement parts on hand. An extra set of rubbers, pinballs and so on are good to have and replace regularly. Some extra bulbs in case they go out. If there's a part that's prone to breaking, I'd prefer to pay $10-$20 to have a few replacements on hand to get the game back up and running quickly (owners threads are useful in figuring out what those are). Car wax if that's your thing.

Mostly, I've built up tools as I went, but I did have a bunch on hand already and I won't lie, when I order anything from places like Marco, I browse through their tool section and order anything I'd find useful. I've built my pinball tool collection up that way.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

You probably won't need a switch leaf tool on any games made today. Maybe for an EOS switch or slingshot but you can usually adjust those by hand.
    Long handle magnetic nut driver set
    Long handle allen driver set
    Philips screwdrivers
    Magnetic pickup tool
    Flashlight
    Soldering station
    Digital multimeter

I received a NIB EHOH about a month ago and needed a switch leaf tool immediately, one of the gargoyle switches had to be adjusted. Luckily I had the tool on hand. I realize my case may be unusual, but as cheap as the tool is I'm glad I have it. And I've used it multiple times since then to fine tune a couple other switches. I completely agree with the other items listed, as well as a good 10" torpedo level.

#17 1 year ago

Crimping tool
    Soldering Iron
    Nut Driver set magnetic
    Magnetic tray
    Leaf Switch tool
    LED Headlamp
    Screw Drivers Magnetic
    Microfiber Cloths
    Blitz Wax
    Napatha
    Sprayway

#19 1 year ago

Bulbs, you can never have enough.

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

He is just ahead of the curve!

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Bulbs, you can never have enough.

Not with these modern surface mounted LEDs. I have't touched a bulb since my early SAM incandescent games.

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Will not be one game for long!

#23 1 year ago

A slave to keep it clean

#24 1 year ago

An account on pinside!

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from rai:

Not with these modern surface mounted LEDs. I have't touched a bulb since my early SAM incandescent games.

15 EM’s, always replacing bulbs! I try to stay well stocked.

F7EC5D0C-0881-4CF4-9EB6-910B3E983CE9 (resized).jpegF7EC5D0C-0881-4CF4-9EB6-910B3E983CE9 (resized).jpeg

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

amazon.com link »
    These are very handy, in slotted and Philips

Any particular sizes more useful around a pinball machine?

#27 1 year ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

15 EM’s, always replacing bulbs! I try to stay well stocked.
    [quoted image]

Whitmans…now i want chocolate

#28 1 year ago
    Quoted from AMartin56:

Any particular sizes more useful around a pinball machine?

I have the quarter inch size.

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from rai:

What else is essential for a first timer?

Lots of "Patience"

2 months later
    #30 10 months ago

Old tshirts / White cotton rags. When you are working on a raised playfield, spread them below the area you are working on.

Dropped screws fall onto the white cloth where you can see them instead of getting lost in your carefully adjusted relays.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-should-a-new-pinball-owner-buy-to-maintain-a-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.