(Topic ID: 148597)

What settings to make the Original Stern Spider-Man the most fun?

By PinsOnly

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by DrJoe
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Hi, With the release of SMVE I figured I'd post this question. My only complaint with the original Stern Spider-Man is the Loooong ball times, I realize I can open up the out lanes and remove the center post, but even without doing that I don't get to "Super Hero" mode all the time, or even very often. I also know that "Play Better" is the preferred choice, but the long ball times are killing it for me. I know in Avengers it makes the game much more fun by changing the difficulty of the modes in the game, but is there a preferred setting for Spidey?? I like the game, but if people are over it often becomes a "Let's watch so and so play pinball" kind of thing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Dave

#2 8 years ago

Is it not fun because you are playing a long time and not reaching Super Hero? If you are not reaching Super Hero, how about Battle Royale? Plenty of fun to be had there as well.

Do you have a general strategy you are employing such as lighting key shots for triple scoring, or stacking certain modes with multiballs?

Finally if you are not seeing all the game offers as it sits, I personally would not recommend removing any posts. That is not going to make the journey toward Super Hero more fun.

#3 8 years ago

You have a nice selection of games PinsOnly!

#4 8 years ago

Thanks fish1975tx, it has certainly been an adventure! Many many games have come and gone.

I think Strategy is the issue for me (I seem to be lacking one) and I have been trying different things, but I am discovering, as I think more while playing, that I must hit more shots, especially during Multi-Ball. I will continue to work through this game and figure out the best ways. I need to revisit the rule sheet and look at a tutorial. Getting to Battle Royale is not usually to difficult, it is the other missions that are tougher. I do like that you have to hit all shots to light them (which is probably my problem), and depending on the mode, the other shots to finish them. Pinballcorpse, thanks for your post, sometimes it is nice to get a push to start thinking in the right direction again.

Thanks, Dave

#5 8 years ago

set it to freeplay

#6 8 years ago

I think I want to remove the enter post on mine.

#7 8 years ago

Remove center post and install lightning flippers.

If there was a setting to make Doc Ock always be down and activate the magnet rather than going in the saucer for the controlled feed then that would be great.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

Finally if you are not seeing all the game offers as it sits, I personally would not recommend removing any posts. That is not going to make the journey toward Super Hero more fun.

Jeff is correct (as per usual ...).

M advise would be to always have Doc Oc primed and ready to start ... As soon as you start a mode, start Doc Oc and power through the modes.

To get to Super Hero (on factory settings) you don't need to complete the modes, you just need to start them. But finishing them gets you a 3x multiplier for the rest of the ball which can mean big points if used properly.

rd

#9 8 years ago

Lightning flippers, problem solved.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Lightning flippers, problem solved.

I don't think that'll help him get to Super Hero

I think if he can get to Super Hero once, his love will be renewed ....

rd

#11 8 years ago

Yea with Spider-Man, there is a ton to do. The game times are long but if you shorten them with things like lightening flippers, you just miss out on more of the game. If you could do things like add lightning flippers but also allow stacking if mode starting and multiballs, that might support progression with shorter ball times.

#12 8 years ago

My biggest issues with SM has always been sound and art, and I am contemplating the new one. But, the villains are repetitive (minus doc ock). I got to super hero quite often with factory setup; put lightning flippers on and make a couple of the villains easier (goblin and venom ) and you'll have a good balance of fun and challenge without the repetition.

Lightning flippers with center post and tweak the villains accordingly is fine for this pin. Much better than playing to get to super hero every game and making every press of the start button a marathon game.

Disclaimer: it's been years since I played this set up or with the settings. I just remember SM being repetitive with standard flippers and a blast with lightning flippers and tweaked adjustments

4 weeks later
#13 8 years ago

To get to SuperHero consistently, you need to forget about the multiballs and go for the modes, you only need to start all 5, and complete the 4 heroes.
My strategy is always to start a mode, start a multiball, ignore jackpot shots and just try and complete goblin (if in black suit multiball go for Doc Oc as well). Once out of multiball start another mode, etc. etc. Sandman and Venom I normally complete without having to target them.
Starting the 5 modes is the real stumbling block to SH.

Ball times can be long if you are playing multiball over and over and going for points, but if you are aiming for SH they don't need to be. Adds a different perspective to the game.

#14 8 years ago

Factory software settings, open outlanes, remove center post, make sure slings are sensitive, tight tilt, clean waxed playfield, 1 extra ball max. This keeps game times reasonable but still presents the chance to go deep into the game if you're hitting your shots consistently.

I do not like the lightning flippers option on SM. I don't like how the shots feel so different.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 25.50
$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Lombard, IL
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 25.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-settings-to-make-stern-spider-man-the-most-fun and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.