Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 177 posts
  • 96 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Dan63
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What separates top players from everyone else”

• Accuracy 61 votes
      25%
    • Flipper Control 41 votes
      17%
    • Nudging 19 votes
      8%
    • Steady Nerves 13 votes
      5%
    • Gameplay Knowledge 72 votes
      30%
    • If I Knew I'd be There 37 votes
      15%

(243 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4th-Edition-Character-Card (resized).jpg
    jmp (resized).jpg
    practice (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sethi_i.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I've been watching a lot of video of my games in tournament play. The top tier players are amazing, obviously. They have the full complement of tools to draw from. I also see a lot of threads about getting to this wizard mode or that one. I don't consider myself a great player, but I don't think I suck either. I routinely put up some respectable scores. Yet BftK, Immolation, We're Ready to Believe You, and Enterprise Amok aren't even on my radar. The closest I've come is two modes to go for Immolation on GotG (and that's not even the final Wizard Mode).

What would you consider the biggest difference between an average player and those that get to, and defeat, wizard modes? I'm sure it's a combination of factors, but if you had to say "work on this first", what would "this" be? Know the game...wizard modes aren't about points? Nudging to get potential drains back in play? Flipper skills to get the ball where you want it for the specific shot you want? Accuracy to avoid having out of control balls in the first place? Zen...don't panic and start shaking the shit out of the machine? Etc....

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from Nokoro:

I feel like what I lack and the best players have is solid concentration.

I think that says something that I didn't even think of this. I find myself thinking of what a great game I'm having, or how bad it's going. I'm also often thinking about what I'm going to do next. Sounds like this could be a big obstacle to me getting to the wizards.

I wasn't thinking of tournaments in this question, just how well those guys play. In a home setting, focus is probably even harder. More distractions and the feeling of --- I can always play again.

#51 5 years ago

Another area that I didn't list was multiball play. I watched the video of KE getting to 5 Year Mission on ST, and the multiball play was astounding. I don't know that that really helps get to the Wizard Modes, but it's hypnotizing to watch. That really shows all of the other skills at once...controlling all of those balls while still hitting specific shots, keeping calm and knowing when to let a ball drain rather than trying to save every one....

I'll definitely work on everything, but I think improving MB play will be my focus first. If that improves, everything in single ball play should as well.

#69 5 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I think my game knowledge is pretty damn solid

Quoted from chuckwurt:

I lose ALL THE time to people that can just be more accurate than me.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

I’ve won 100% of my matches where I’m making all the shots.

So as a successful competitive player, with self-proclaimed questionable accuracy, how well do you play solo? Can you get to final Wizard Modes (ignore unreachable ones)? Can you beat them? Is that even something that you care about? It's definitely a goal to "beat" every one of my games.

#74 5 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

I think to be a great tournament player, you also have to be consistent.

I understand why a lot of the responses are focusing on tournaments and competitive play. I asked about the top players, and the top players compete. But I was meaning to focus on their abilities with regard to completing the final modes of games, not just winning tournaments. As chuckwurt mentioned above, I don't think you have to be able to beat the games to be able to beat other people playing them.

#86 5 years ago
    Quoted from GotAQuestion:

How do you make this poll and not include "Practice"?
    That's the secret to every skill known to mankind. Practicing. And not just mindlessly - practicing perfectly. Efficient and accurate practice is the #1 (and only) route to improving at everything under the sun. And really it sums up everything already mentioned. Rules knowledge, flipper skills, aim, decision-making under pressure, ability to adapt to subtle differences in the same machine at a different location. All stems from practice.

I thought that was implied. "Practice" is generic. In golf, you can stand on the driving range and practice bombing drives right down the middle all day. If you think that is the key to golf, your overall game will suck. What would be the most important area to practice on?

#103 5 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

If you want to know the next thing you need to work on, start keeping track of how you lose each ball. Not just where it went, but what caused it to be out of control in the first place.

I started to do this last night -- mentally, not actually documenting. Thinking about the specific drain and the actions that led up to it. I do think that documenting this after each ball and reviewing after 5 or 10 games will be a valuable exercise. I also think that capturing every game on video and reviewing would be very beneficial. Nothing fancy, even a phone capture would do. Being able to watch the entire game for pros and cons.

1 week later
    #128 5 years ago
    Quoted from Snailman:

Nudge more. A LOT more.

Quoted from Snailman:

Specifically for wizard mode: use your game rule knowledge to jot down some notes of the sequence/order you want to do things to accomplish the milestones required for the wizard mode goals -- FORGET ABOUT SCORE.

I think these are my numbers 1 and 2.

From everything people have said, I think to reach wizards modes, you take the shortest route and keep the ball in play. Knowing the rules, to know what is necessary and what isn't and how to get extra balls, has to be number 1. Don't waste shots and risk losing balls on things that don't advance to the wizard mode. As for nudging, this to me is a close #2. You have to keep the ball in play. Those 3 or 4 shot "house-balls" are a killer. I really need to eliminate those. My best games are always the ones where every ball is productive. That sounds pretty obvious, but it's easier said than done!

#140 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinballOsp:

The OP never answered my question whether he's interested in location or tournament play (at high level, I presume). Those are completely different and people are conflating a lot of these ideas into one.

I've posted many replies stating that the question was intended to figure out how the top players get to and complete "Wizard Modes"...not win tournaments. I even stated that in the original post. But I also understand why so many people take it to a discussion of tournament play. The way I phrased the topic title, the fact that pinball is a competitive game, and the fact that many skills translate to both all make the tournament discussion valid as well.

#149 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinballOsp:

It seems pretty simple but what do I know.

Simple - Yes
    Easy - NO

#165 5 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

One aspect I haven’t heard much is multiball skills which I find quite different from single ball play and must be very important...

This is one area I'm really trying to improve upon. I just completed Klingon MB on my ST Prem for the first time two weeks ago. I was controlling the balls, but more importantly, I was able to see the playfield and hit specific shots. This is a huge improvement for me. Usually (on GB for example) I'm just staring at the flippers and flailing away to keep the balls in play and hoping I'm making progress on whatever mode or objective is active.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sethi_i.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-separates-top-players-from-everyone-else?tu=sethi_i and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.