Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 177 posts
  • 96 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Dan63
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What separates top players from everyone else”

• Accuracy 61 votes
      25%
    • Flipper Control 41 votes
      17%
    • Nudging 19 votes
      8%
    • Steady Nerves 13 votes
      5%
    • Gameplay Knowledge 72 votes
      30%
    • If I Knew I'd be There 37 votes
      15%

(243 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4th-Edition-Character-Card (resized).jpg
    jmp (resized).jpg
    practice (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinlawyer.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#35 5 years ago

Here's my MO: Qualify high and then choke in head-to-head. My IFPA rank sucks, and gets worse daily, since WPPR points reward participation as much as outcome, and I have a fkn job. That said, I can tell you what I lack:

1. Attention Span. Players like KME attack Banzai Run in terms of chopping wood by getting ABC, Cliff Jump. Rinse, repeat. That's not going to be a "fun" way to play, but I can tell you it's a winning strategy.
    2. Flipper skills. Live-catch takes practice. I'm still working on that one. Watching Bowen play my TNA was a tutorial I'll never forget. Short plunge, live catch. There is NO substitute strategy that works as well. I'll put my drop-catch up against anyone's, but live-catch is far more important.
    3. Have a game plan. I can't tell you how many times I end up screwing up because I play by instinct (how I play at home) instead of with a defined strategy/agenda on each pin. Tournament strategy is about POINTS--not objectives. Sometimes--like on TAF--it's best to AVOID multiball.
    4. Go to your happy place. AVOID THE YIPS. This often becomes my Waterloo, until I have nothing to lose and play relaxed. Playing while afraid to lose the ball is the surest way to choke. Take it from a tried and true choke-artist.
    5. Know where the points are. It literally took me decades of play to resign myself to avoid the CF drop targets, and to light, then shoot, spinners, spinners and more spinners on most 80s pins. Firepower is not about multiball.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinlawyer.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-separates-top-players-from-everyone-else?tu=pinlawyer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.