Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 70 posts
  • 49 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by chad
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What's your favorite pinball company?”

• Jersey Jack pinball 43 votes
      11%
    • Spooky pinball 22 votes
      6%
    • Stern pinball 91 votes
      24%
    • Dutch pinball 7 votes
      2%
    • Chicago gaming co. 17 votes
      4%
    • Heighway pinball 6 votes
      2%
    • American pinball 4 votes
      1%
    • Homepin 4 votes
      1%
    • williams 96 votes
      25%
    • Bally 49 votes
      13%
    • Gotlieb 21 votes
      5%
    • Sega 7 votes
      2%
    • Data east 19 votes
      5%

(Multiple choice - 386 votes by 286 Pinsiders)

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

Hey guys! Earlier this morning I wondered to myself: what's the best pinball company? I can't decide between JJP and stern, though. So I'm just hoping for a little input from you guys. Thanks!

#2 5 years ago

Heighway obviously, close the poll now.

#3 5 years ago

Williams, or maybe Bally--possibly Atari...

#4 5 years ago

Bally all day. ALL DAY.

Of the alive ones tho, they're all okay I guess, but it's hard not to like the plucky little guys at Spooky. Stern has made some a great games, JJP will make a truly great one someday (they go back and forth, Dialed In was close but didn't have the theme...), and you can feel Spooky moving in that direction with every release as well. Is it Alice Cooper??

#5 5 years ago

JJP/PPS/CGC

I'm biased.

LTG : )

#6 5 years ago

Is there a real distinction between Williams and Bally? I tend to think of the two as essentially interchangeable.

#7 5 years ago

How does heighway and dutch make the list and not Sega and data east.

#8 5 years ago

Stern. . . but more specifically "Classic" Stern.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

How does heighway and dutch make the list and not Sega and data east.

Sorry! I forgot

#10 5 years ago

But I just added them

#11 5 years ago

Based on my past purchases, I have to go with Gottlieb (w/ two t's) for EM's, Bally for solid states, and Stern for modern games.

#12 5 years ago

thread title is "what's your(e) favorite pinball company" and poll is "what's the best pinball company"

my fav could be different than what I think is the best

#13 5 years ago

Whoops!

#14 5 years ago

Like them or hate them .... I think Stern is just fine. Deadpool has been a blast to play as is most of their newer games releasing (except GotG was a hot mess early on that got way better with some updates)

#15 5 years ago

stern 2003- 2008 back when they made complete games populated playfields and sturdy cabinets. tspp,potc, spiderman, lotr, rbion, tron, family guy etc. man those were some great games!

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

stern 2003- 2008 back when they made complete games populated playfields and sturdy cabinets.

Might wanna go 2003-2007.5 on that one

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNavidad:

Is there a real distinction between Williams and Bally? I tend to think of the two as essentially interchangeable.

In the 70s and 80s, they were certainly differently companies with different games. I believe it was in 1990 (or at least around that time) that the merger happened.

#19 5 years ago

It’s between jersey jack and CGC. I went with jack...DILE is in my opinion the greatest game of all time. AFMRLE is a close second, and TNA remains my 3rd (IMDN ties)

#20 5 years ago

A technicality, but I think you can lump DE/Sega/Stern, all as one, and free up some other options. Different eras, different names, but essentially the same company. The Baywatch (1995) I just sold was built almost identical to the X-Men LE (2012) I just brought in, clicking flasher relays and all.

#21 5 years ago

Inder? Mr game?

#22 5 years ago

Depends on the generation of games. My list as follows:

—Woodrails: Gottlieb (Harry Williams, no doubt, had some of the coolest looking playfield designs, but from a playability standpoint, Gottlieb really had better playing games).
    —‘60s and ‘70s EMs: Gottlieb (with a very hearty nod to Williams as well)
    —Early Solid State: Bally (Williams and stern cranked out some good titles, but it’s really hard to compete with games like Centaur, EBD, and Fathom)
    —Alphanumeric Era: Williams (williams ushered in a new era with High Speed and with System 11abc)
    —DMD Era/90s: Williams (and by association, Bally, since they were essentially identical companies)
    —Post year 2000: Stern. (As much as I love what JJP is doing, Stern cranks out games that are honestly some of the best playing games, and they do so with extreme consistency. TSPP, LOTR, AC/DC, and so forth are all modern classics).

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

stern 2003- 2008 back when they made complete games populated playfields and sturdy cabinets. tspp,potc, spiderman, lotr, rbion, tron, family guy etc. man those were some great games!

Yep - especially WPT and Sopranos! TRON was after 2008 though.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Heighway obviously, close the poll now.

They actually got 2 votes so far!

DP too!

#25 5 years ago

Where is Multimorphic???

#26 5 years ago

Well...before Williams acquired Bally there was quite a competition going on.

#27 5 years ago

Homepin is beating Data East. Someone quickly write a hot take blog post about it.

#28 5 years ago

I love HOMEPIN in a special sort of way !
    BUT
    I voted BALLY

#29 5 years ago

The company that kept things alive, fuck Williams/Bally thanks for the games but thats about it. If Gary Stern didn't keep it going it would have died in my opinion and they have made the best pinball machines out there to date. I like the 90's pins and the boutique companies which includes JJP also have created some great stuff but Stern is king. They get my vote.

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from snowy_owl:

Hey guys! Earlier this morning I wondered to myself: what's the best pinball company? I can't decide between JJP and stern, though. So I'm just hoping for a little input from you guys. Thanks!

Have you fallen down and hit your head?

#31 5 years ago

People would be happier if they had favorite games with no regard to who makes that game.

#32 5 years ago

I need to have a chat with our marketing department.

- Gerry
    https://www.multimorphic.com

#33 5 years ago

Stern
    JJP
    CGC

#34 5 years ago

Stern
    JJP
    CGC
    Spooky

All 4, in no particular order, make games I love to play. What a time to be alive!
    Just in the past few days been loving to play some AC/DC, TnA, DI and MBr (I was a beta tester).

Edit: Bally/Williams also made some great games! My 4 above choices are based on modern existing companies making new games.

#35 5 years ago

CGC so far., Spooky is my current experience as a customer so hoping for the best! Doug was great! Likes to talk like shop like Mike, and Joe from pinballs and pinball star. Great communication.

#36 5 years ago

Ummm...No Deeproot either.
    Not that I would vote Deeproot, just not on the poll. But maybe not considered a full blown company yet?

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Ummm...No Deeproot either.
    Not that I would vote Deeproot, just not on the poll. But maybe not considered a full blown company yet?

and yet Homepin is on the list.

#38 5 years ago

Alvin G & Co. of course! A nod to Spinball as well. They didn’t make much, but they were creative!

#39 5 years ago

Zaccaria should definitely be on the list for making a bunch of great SS machines. Sonic Segasa made some great EMs, although their cabinets sucked.

#40 5 years ago

This survey has lost all credibility as 10 people have voted for Highway and Dutch.....

1. JJP
    2. Williams
    3. CGC
    4. Stern

As everyone knows what Stern does very well is pump out product....they release a game and it starts shipping almost immediately, which boosts sales as people buy on emotion without ever seeing or playing the game....CGC and JJP are frankly just the opposite...doesn't help their sales (IMHO)....

#41 5 years ago

Zen Pinball!

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

and yet Homepin is on the list.

I think this is to appease the the minority who get flustered easily

#43 5 years ago

Stern gets my vote!

Stern
    Williams
    Bally
    CGC

#44 5 years ago

Isn’t it weird that Williams bought Bally but people refer the merged Bally Williams as just “Bally”? There were great games before the DMD era y’all.

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from ezelljon:

Isn’t it weird.. .

On pinside.... No question is.

#46 5 years ago

Is Midway in there somewhere too?

#47 5 years ago

Maybe it was timing in my llife but nothing compares to Williams in the early to mid 90s. So many great games that i couldnt shove my quarters into fast enough.

My favorite now has only 1 game released to date with number 2 on the way. THE PINBALL AMIGOS

#48 5 years ago

Gottlieb early to mid 80's pins are the sh#*!

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from oldskool1969:

I love HOMEPIN in a special sort of way !

It was the marketing strategy that won it over for me.

The goalposts that continue to keep getting smaller as time marches on.

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from chalkup8:

Is Midway in there somewhere too?

If you can find someone that would say midway games are the best maybe

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-s-your-favorite-pinball-company?hl=boat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.