Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 647 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by screaminr
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Why are so many podcasts pulling the plug?”

• Oversaturation in the pinball podcasting market/ burnout. 204 votes
      66%
    • Something special coming up...stay tuned. 83 votes
      27%
    • Fishing for TWIPY votes. 20 votes
      7%

(307 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

160px-Cat_and_lion_in_mirror_illustration.svg (resized).png
    F4C66878-EC17-49BF-9CA7-896C0D49A57D (resized).jpeg
    3BC6163E-19AB-4777-A1BC-E5A69AF813CE (resized).jpeg
    6F0418D1-FD14-4727-A167-7DCA0AF4B25F (resized).jpeg
    0B129A03-C0EB-4146-BFC9-64667D904F71 (resized).jpeg
    3BA02CA9-47FE-4E08-AD68-CF0EC882C693 (resized).jpeg
    98FFFCD6-89F9-49DF-B225-E4AE72387BDE (resized).jpeg
    EA906A48-EF57-4FC0-9A0D-29E83C9A9F7C (resized).jpeg
    3BE58DFF-E859-43DF-8039-A29A66AD63AE (resized).jpeg
    B33C874E-67AF-40AC-95B3-651A351C1E3A (resized).jpeg
    18086-harvey-keitel (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200128_004804 (resized).jpg
    Al-Pacino-LaughSmoking.gif
    zero.point.zero.gif
    crash-and-burn1.gif
    DD831BDC-3A64-4C68-A7F0-0A7ACB3243D2.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dblm.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Completely understandable how others could get burnt out when they get so little recognition and Jerry does.

People should focus on creating and bettering their own content vs worrying about Kaneda. For all of his many foibles, his show is entertaining, has a point of view, has good production values, and not even joking a little, is short. This is why people listen to him.

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Read the PinballSupernova posting - man, that made me feel bad. That site took TONS of work and had a lot of awesome content. but the clicks just weren't coming (translation: the $$ wasn't coming, which is not a surprise. YOu only make pennies on such hard-worked content)

I just checked out the website. Lots of awesome content. Sadly, had never heard of it until your posting, which I think is emblematic of the problem that he described. I know the person sounded pretty negative about the hobby right now and hope that he can get to a spot of closure, regardless of what that is.

#76 4 years ago

Everybody is talking about all of these guys joining forces could be a good thing. I think it could be a shitty Voltron of mediocrity, rambling monologs, and meaningless platitudes. Be careful what you wish for because you might just get it.

#105 4 years ago

Cool. Seems like a Pinball Podcast syndication type thing. Be interesting to see what comes out of this.

#122 4 years ago

Somewhere, in NYC Kaneda is ... ambivalent?

In Sarasota FL, Macho is snapping into a Slim Jim.

#133 4 years ago

I wonder which Voltron this will turn out to be. Remember, there is only one cool Voltron.

5A40C9FF-B6C2-4528-99EA-F1B0FAAFB2E1 (resized).jpeg5A40C9FF-B6C2-4528-99EA-F1B0FAAFB2E1 (resized).jpeg
    #156 4 years ago

Legit question: The Pinball Supernova guy had posted on his website to the effect that his content was not getting enough views, that he was being overshadowed by personalities, and that he was thinking of leaving the hobby. Now, he pops up as part of this network? What gives? Change of heart or was this part of a plan? Something feels a little ... off?

#159 4 years ago
    Quoted from jandrea95:

I think it was just a poor launch. These guys are pinball guys, not marketing experts (I could be mistaken), and thats ok.

I don’t think that is the case. I just checked the Pinball Supernova website and there is an update dated today talking about his decisions for joining the network. Some new tidbits are in this update. Worth a read.

https://pinballsupernova.wordpress.com/2020/01/23/it-was-a-very-short-retirement-from-pinball-welcome-to-the-pinball-network/

#205 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Lee is a good guy. I am 100% certain that his intentions to leave were genuine. My guess is someone reached out to him offering a chance to reconsider and do something a little different and he changed his mind. I’d guess he still has the feelings he expressed, but maybe now he can make more of difference and reach more people.

I think that comes through in the blog posting I linked to afterwards. I had posited my question before that came out.

#207 4 years ago

There are a lot of different pinball podcasts out there that cater to a lot of different interests. Who wants to join me as cohost(s) of "The 40-something white man who is moderately well off but not rich and enjoys playing pinball but not as much as drinking while playing pinball while talking shit about the banality and stupidity of pinball and Pinside fiesta of friendship 26 minute extravaganza?" I think the title is catchy and not at all hard to say, but am willing to make some modifications.

The qualities that I am looking for in a cohost(s) include:

You are a 40 something, moderately well off but not rich white man; identify as one; know one or have known one; or just have a pulse in general.
    Your level of snarkiness and general jack-assery exceed your pinball ability.
    You drink while playing pinball and talking about pinball. I prefer alcohol, but you can feel free to drink whatever you like.
    Must know how to swim (some podcasts will be recorded from my boat, pool, or a nearby waterpark).
    Must know how to eat crabs or be willing to learn.
    And most importantly, you can get your points and mine across to an audience in 26 minutes or less. Coherency is not a priority.
    No communists, please.

Anybody ready to join me on this rocket ship of awesomeness?

#210 4 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Can we broadcast from Crabtown?

Hell's Yeah! Get some crab topped fries and some Crushes and we are good to go! Should I put you down as cohost (multiple positions open), guest correspondent, or nemesis? In my sampling of podcasts we will need 1-n number of nemesis to be relevant.

#211 4 years ago
    Quoted from PantherCityPins:

represent a company that not only doesn’t have a single woman or person of color in a position of power

George Gomez enters the chat...

OIP.aKyimDs_fNCgWVXtrycFxgHaFH (resized).jpgOIP.aKyimDs_fNCgWVXtrycFxgHaFH (resized).jpg
    #215 4 years ago
    Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Touché, remove the person of color comment then.
    Any women?

Dunno. I don't know who works at which company but I am not trying to score points on this topic and look for gotchas.

#217 4 years ago

I really wish you would repost your comment. I thought it to be really intelligent and well written, and agreed with it. I think you hit it on the head.

#223 4 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

You know what... it’s not worth it. There’s a lot of really amazing people out there with huge hearts that spend their time going above and beyond. And no matter what they do, people are going to throw shade and anger at them. That post wouldn’t have changed a single thing.

All fair points. Still, and I say this sincerely, you had a very well thought out critique which I appreciated.

I know I have made a few posts in here that some where in jest and some where not but I am interested to see what comes out of this. If this means more and better content that is a great thing.

Until any of us can see really what the network will be doing and with whom, it is hard to judge how good this will be or how inclusive it will be. Let's all just wait and see.

#230 4 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Shit, I can't swim.

I gotcha covered, brother!

man-wearing-a-fischerhemd-a-typical-shirt-of-a-fisher-water-wings-aaep8n (resized).jpgman-wearing-a-fischerhemd-a-typical-shirt-of-a-fisher-water-wings-aaep8n (resized).jpg
    #234 4 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

I'm also probably a communist by pinside standards.

What redeeming qualities do you bring to the table? We might could overlook some things.

Where do you stand on the movies Predator and Jaws?

#236 4 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Brevity. I love the whole 26 minutes or less thing.

Predator, standard cheesy '80s action flick. Never seen Jaws.
    I have feeling this isn't love at first sight.

I concur, but I like your moxie. We can have you as a field correspondent for special assignments. Or, if you feel like going full wrestling heel and/or embrace your communist roots you can be the show's first nemesis.

#282 4 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Yancy , you must watch Jaws at least once. Just the first one...

There is only one Jaws. The others do not count. I will allow The Meg, because it is funny as shit and not as horrible as one would think.

#301 4 years ago

This thread has taken a dumb, unfortunate, unnecessary, and dumb (repeats saying) turn.

Let's get back to an important topic: I need one to many cohosts for my new podcast called ""The 40-something white man who is moderately well off but not rich and enjoys playing pinball but not as much as drinking while playing pinball while talking shit about the banality and stupidity of pinball and Pinside fiesta of friendship 26 minute extravaganza."

I thought I had a potential match with Yancy, but his rampant Communism, lack of love for Predator, and his non-viewing of Jaws has disqualified him. Will anybody rise up to seize this awesome opportunity?

The sad thing is when I wrote my post about my dumb podcast idea (unless somebody is into it ) I thought that was one of the more ridiculous things in this thread. Sadly, I have been proven oh so wrong in the past few hours.

Carry on.

#308 4 years ago
    Quoted from DerGoetz:

anyone remember "the Purge" that never happened??

Since "The Purge" did not happen, can we get "The Culling"?

I swear, some of the poster's on this board make me question if their parent's had any children that lived.

#337 4 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

What if we changed that to fitty-something ? Hmmm... I've kept 7th graders entertained 5 shows a day (54 minutes), 180 days a year for almost 30 years. This crowd would be a piece of cake. All I would really need would be 1 or 2 "insiders" to feed me info. Wait... I just thought of one...

I think we can make an exception for you. Your extensive experience with 7th graders more than qualifies you to weigh in on Pinsiders! Welcome aboard!

#344 4 years ago

To all of the the virtue signalers, the misogynsts, the people that say we need diverse opinions, to those that say we don't need diverse opinions, the ones that say we have a podcast syndicate to advertise one distributor's games, and to all other mouth breathers in general that took a thread full of promise and made it into a raging shitstorm of shit I want you to know one thing and one thing only:

My cats hate the vast majority of all of you.

I'm going to bed.

15-disappointed-cats-who-are-judging-you-poor-life-choices (resized).jpg15-disappointed-cats-who-are-judging-you-poor-life-choices (resized).jpg
    #367 4 years ago
    Quoted from NeilMcRae:

can you add going slowly going bald to that and I qualify!

I thought that was a given. Welcome aboard, Neil! Is it ok that when I get drunk, I liberally refer to people that I don’t like as “Sunshine” in honor of your English background?

#436 4 years ago

Who’s real outraged, faked outraged, and thinks this whole this is beyond stupid? Hard to keep track anymore.

#452 4 years ago

I just listened to the podcast and it is both a complex and simple issue. It is complex in that she is deeply into pinball and that it forms a part of her identity. She is big into and proud of being a female and of another race, which she should. She seems hurt that she and other diverse voices are not included in the TPN. I don't know if she was asked, not asked, whatever, but that is her perspective. Again, lots of complex emotions for her. Nobody has to understand or champion her point of view, but we should all acknowledge that it is her point of view. You can't tell people how to feel, and if you do, you are a dick.

On the simple side though, at the end of the day, this is not her podcast network. TPN is free to do whatever they want, and involve whomever they want. They are not the only game in town, and she and other podcasters are free to present whatever they want on their own, or to create their own syndicate.

Food for thought: I am not into the pinball "scene" and don't necessarily want to be into it. Just not my vibe. I don't play in tournaments, don't go to shows, and for me, pinball is a minor, minor distraction. I am sure that there are others like me who fit the bill and probably look at situations like this and say "whatever." For others, league night is a big part of their identity and represents significant things to them. Lauren seems to be in this camp. We don't have to empathize with her, but we can provide empathy.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dblm.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-s-with-all-the-podcasts-ending?tu=dblm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.