Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 647 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by screaminr
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Why are so many podcasts pulling the plug?”

• Oversaturation in the pinball podcasting market/ burnout. 204 votes
      66%
    • Something special coming up...stay tuned. 83 votes
      27%
    • Fishing for TWIPY votes. 20 votes
      7%

(307 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

160px-Cat_and_lion_in_mirror_illustration.svg (resized).png
    F4C66878-EC17-49BF-9CA7-896C0D49A57D (resized).jpeg
    3BC6163E-19AB-4777-A1BC-E5A69AF813CE (resized).jpeg
    6F0418D1-FD14-4727-A167-7DCA0AF4B25F (resized).jpeg
    0B129A03-C0EB-4146-BFC9-64667D904F71 (resized).jpeg
    3BA02CA9-47FE-4E08-AD68-CF0EC882C693 (resized).jpeg
    98FFFCD6-89F9-49DF-B225-E4AE72387BDE (resized).jpeg
    EA906A48-EF57-4FC0-9A0D-29E83C9A9F7C (resized).jpeg
    3BE58DFF-E859-43DF-8039-A29A66AD63AE (resized).jpeg
    B33C874E-67AF-40AC-95B3-651A351C1E3A (resized).jpeg
    18086-harvey-keitel (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200128_004804 (resized).jpg
    Al-Pacino-LaughSmoking.gif
    zero.point.zero.gif
    crash-and-burn1.gif
    DD831BDC-3A64-4C68-A7F0-0A7ACB3243D2.jpeg

There are 647 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 13.
    #351 4 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

This thread has taken a dumb, unfortunate, unnecessary, and dumb (repeats saying) turn.
    Let's get back to an important topic: I need one to many cohosts for my new podcast called ""The 40-something white man who is moderately well off but not rich and enjoys playing pinball but not as much as drinking while playing pinball while talking shit about the banality and stupidity of pinball and Pinside fiesta of friendship 26 minute extravaganza."

can you add going slowly going bald to that and I qualify!

#352 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I wouldn't even sign up for facebook to find that once hot girl I went to high school with, let alone for that.
    Well, on the bright side, it will no longer be wasting front page space on pinside.

I don't believe you can remember that far back.

#353 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-pin:

For modern pinball are there any examples of games that arent fan layouts?
    How many side flipper shots do it need to be, for not beeing a fan layout?
    The way i see it all games have fan layouts.

totally agree!

#354 4 years ago

Is this is a move to try and formalize some form of monetization?

Seems like they are using a concept like Bill Burr's ATC network.

#355 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I was involved with one some years back.

I would LOVE it if there was a tech-focused pinball podcast for SS machines (I know Nick Baldridge has his EM and Bingo one). A "Dear Lloyd" in podcast form would be GOLD.

Disclaimer: just a suggestion.

#356 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-pin:

For modern pinball are there any examples of games that arent fan layouts?

Yes. Every game that has more than two flippers.

#357 4 years ago
    Quoted from NeilMcRae:

getting their Y-fronts in a twist

Haha. Never heard this before. Awesome.

#358 4 years ago

For what it's worth, I have no idea what a "Fan Layout" is. Nor do I care to know.

#359 4 years ago

Two flippers at the bottom. Shot spread out like a fan across the playfield. Unless you introduce more flippers, it’s hard for a layout to not shoot like a fan.

21FBC868-5AA1-4153-9389-8C62AB291196 (resized).jpeg21FBC868-5AA1-4153-9389-8C62AB291196 (resized).jpeg
    #360 4 years ago

NBA fast break is a pretty good example

#361 4 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Floyd Mayweather ain’t got nothing on Zach “money” Meny
    I like seeing a consolidation of all things pinball in one place. It was confusing to me!

Yes eh- the more money the more Meny we get or is it the more Meny the more money he gets - gotta love it - I feel bad for the Bone man as he is the funny one with the most honest insight

#362 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yes. Every game that has more than two flippers.

But most shots are still in a fan pattern.
    So, how many shots are needed to not be within a fan pattern, to be considered a non-fan layout?
    Allthough i appreciate the easy-mode definition of any additional flippers, automatically making it a non-fan layout, but is this the common definition?

#363 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-pin:

So, how many shots are needed to not be within a fan pattern, to be considered a non-fan layout?

One.

#364 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-pin:

Allthough i appreciate the easy-mode definition of any additional flippers, automatically making it a non-fan layout, but is this the common definition?

Yes. Haha. I don’t know man. It’s doesn’t matter at all.

#365 4 years ago
    Quoted from Looprunner:

I need more positivity in my day. I'm headed back to the Stern Stranger Things topic.

Best post on this thread .

#366 4 years ago

This sums up where this thread has gotten to for me .

#367 4 years ago
    Quoted from NeilMcRae:

can you add going slowly going bald to that and I qualify!

I thought that was a given. Welcome aboard, Neil! Is it ok that when I get drunk, I liberally refer to people that I don’t like as “Sunshine” in honor of your English background?

#368 4 years ago
    Quoted from screaminr:

This sums up where this thread has gotten to for me .

That song is now stuck in my head. Thanks a lot lol

#369 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

There's also the Asian fella with the mask who does programming.

Coronavirus

#370 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

While diversity and inclusion is a good thing...who is Jack to point out the whiteboyness of anything? He’s the whitest white boy working for the whitest haired white man who’s company is staffed pretty exclusively by white boys. Maybe the next Stern reveal stream will include some of the Latinx women from the factory floor?

Hahahaha well can’t argue that.

#371 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

There's also the Asian fella with the mask who does programming.

Oh, is he in the programming dept? I though he was involved with art or LCD work.

#372 4 years ago
    Quoted from NeilMcRae:

holy shit people.
    Take another look at the picture. If you know Jack you know he was being lightheartedly funny - way too many people getting their Y-fronts in a twist on this and a lot of uptightness (maybe understandably in someways) about this post. But cancelling subscriptions on this one thing that is meant to be funny? I'm struggling with that.

Limited resources. It doesn't take much to tip the balance. I'd much rather give my money to someone who isn't a virtue signaling simp.

#373 4 years ago

Wonder if Deeproot will get its own channel and show?

#374 4 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

That song is now stuck in my head. Thanks a lot lol

Catchy isn't it , and it can be used for so many occasions .
    I heard it listening to The Poor Man's Pinball Podcast . If you want to listen to a couple of people just talking shit and having a lot of fun , I can't recommend it highly enough . But be warned they are a couple of white guys , they might not be diverse enough for some people .

#375 4 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

Oh, is he in the programming dept? I though he was involved with art or LCD work.

You may very well be right on that...for some reason I had programming stuck in my head.

#376 4 years ago
    Quoted from Globalcop:

Limited resources. It doesn't take much to tip the balance. I'd much rather give my money to someone who isn't a virtue signaling simp.

Like my uncle Moishe says: Simps gonna simp

#377 4 years ago
    Quoted from screaminr:

I heard it listening to The Poor Man's Pinball Podcast . If you want to listen to a couple of people just talking shit and having a lot of fun , I can't recommend it highly enough . But be warned they are a couple of white guys , they might not be diverse enough for some people .

Diversity in nature is harsh

476C6051-6313-4EB2-A6C9-8852A83CAEB6 (resized).jpeg476C6051-6313-4EB2-A6C9-8852A83CAEB6 (resized).jpeg
    #378 4 years ago

Reminds me of my ex and her attorneys.

#379 4 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

Tony, looked what you unleashed here... You and yer "podcasts."

When I posted this I knew Kaneda's name would probably be brought up but all this other stuff caught me by surprise.

The non pinball podcast's I listen to (Gilbert Gottfried's Amazing Collosal Podcast, Foreplay, Who Are These Podcasts? etc) don't have this kinda drama.

You ought to start your own podcast Mark! I'd definitely tune in to learn about all things pinball, skateboardin', sourdough, etc.)

#380 4 years ago
    Quoted from Shapiru:

Like my uncle Moishe says: Simps gonna simp

I really like where this alternym character is headed. Cute.

#381 4 years ago

I don't "get" podcasts? I'm surprised that people want to listen to other people talk about something for hours on end. I don't get it.

#382 4 years ago
    Quoted from Globalcop:

I'm still wondering what the Venn diagram looks like of pinside.com and ar15.com forum members.

Present, GD 4 life!

#383 4 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

I don't "get" podcasts? I'm surprised that people want to listen to other people talk about something for hours on end. I don't get it.

I'm listening to a 178 part podcast on the History of Rome. I like listening to pinball podcasts about once a week to hear the latest rumours and some interesting interviews. You can find a podcast about any niche hobby you have. Football? Check, Cars? Check, Squirrels… check.

#384 4 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

Talk radio? So boring man...

601F90D8-45C8-4DF1-8897-ED7D59AA26FB.gif601F90D8-45C8-4DF1-8897-ED7D59AA26FB.gif
    #385 4 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

MACHO podcasts are marathon if they hit the 3 minute mark. Definitely the new standard in podcasting.

#386 4 years ago
    Quoted from screaminr:

Aren't they Mormons from Utah too? There is no "whiter" than that!

#387 4 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

I know right!? That and reading. I just don’t get it.

#388 4 years ago

Speaking out against injustices or lack of diversity is a good thing, but many seem real quick to make these issues public before going directly to the individuals involved. We all screw up at times. When that happens I'd much prefer to have someone pull me aside instead of instantly making the issue public. If nothing else it gives me a chance to try to make things right, without it coming across as purely reactionary. Once it goes public, it becomes much more difficult to do that.

#389 4 years ago
    Quoted from screaminr:

It would have looked worse if they had signed up person of ethnic background , colour or gender just for the sake of diversity . That doesn't help anyone . If someone has the talent , charisma and the confidence , whatever their heritage or gender is , I'm sure they would sign them up in a heartbeat , no matter who they were . I like Jack danger but it's a low blow to imply there was an agenda going on .

No no no. We only need diversity of what you see: Color, gender, gender dysphoria, ethnicity.

What we don't need is diversity of thought, talent and ideas.

Thus, if your goal is to have people who behave and think in different ways, you should focus less on their gender, nationality, and ethnicity, sexual practices and more on how they behave and think.

#390 4 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

Humans are pretty narcissistic with everything we do. We can't get enough of ourselves!

Known fact. Squirrels are self loathing.

Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I'm listening to a 178 part podcast on the History of Rome. I like listening to pinball podcasts about once a week to hear the latest rumours and some interesting interviews. You can find a podcast about any niche hobby you have. Football? Check, Cars? Check, Squirrels… check.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_History_of_Rome_(podcast)

Mike Duncan is phenomenal! I started on that show years back when wanting to hear more about Spartacus.

Genuinely one of the most fluid historical podcasts out there.

#391 4 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

But they hide it pretty well on Pinside.

#392 4 years ago
    Quoted from Globalcop:

I’d ask you to reconsider.- Jack is a fantastic guy and honest to god has the most positive person I came across - his only axe to grind is to make more and more out of pinball and our community.

#393 4 years ago
    Quoted from Shapiru:

No no no. We only need diversity of what you see: Color, gender, gender dysphoria, ethnicity.
    What we don't need is diversity of thought, talent and ideas.
    Thus, if your goal is to have people who behave and think in different ways, you should focus less on their gender, nationality, and ethnicity, sexual practices and more on how they behave and think.

It’s a pinball network genius, not “Crossfire.”

#394 4 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

Come on man lay off the squirrels , or at least until they start the squirrel network and don't include Chipmunks , rabbits and all the other fuzzy cute creatures

IMG_20200125_183657 (resized).jpgIMG_20200125_183657 (resized).jpg
    #395 4 years ago

Pretty funny what they put on the homepage...

43F41FCB-9943-4A5D-B08E-E5C8676B9301.png43F41FCB-9943-4A5D-B08E-E5C8676B9301.png
    #397 4 years ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

Pretty funny what they put on the homepage...[quoted image]

That website was a particular persons attempt at amusement and shame. And was created for that purpose. The site is not moderated nor was it created by any of us.

#398 4 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

Who cares how they are being sponsored? Who cares if Zach is doing it to help his business? People do realize that for some folks, pinball is more than just a hobby where you drop a few quarters and then go on Pinside to bitch about stuff right? For some people it is a business.
    Many people on here seem to think that everything everyone does for them should be for free, and every pinball manufacturer should limit their profit to the bare minimum so as to give back to the poor, hungry huddled pinball masses. Sometimes I think the hobby needs to get over itself.
    As for Kaneda, he has his own agenda, which is to feed his ego. That's fine, but doesn't make him better or worse than anyone else with a mic.

Well said.

#399 4 years ago
    Quoted from tacshose:

Pretty funny what they put on the homepage...

Not many people who reacted that day found it funny and since we now know there is a woman joining the network who had already been invited to join the network prior to the announcement video it isn’t even true.

If Mr Danger had taken the time to contact the major female podcasters in the hobby before posting on his Facebook page he might have known that. Given that the woman who is joining is apparently a friend of his by his own statement on that Facebook thread it’s really pretty sad that he chose to try and publicly smear a group of people who have done a lot of good things in this hobby rather than call one of his “buds” and ask her position. I suspect she would have told him she was already joining the network.

#400 4 years ago
    Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Not many people who reacted that day found it funny and since we now know there is a woman joining the network who had already been invited to join the network prior to the announcement video it isn’t even true.
    If Mr Danger had taken the time to contact the major female podcasters in the hobby before posting on his Facebook page he might have known that. Given that the woman who is joining is apparently a friend of his by his own statement on that Facebook thread it’s really pretty sad that he chose to try and publicly smear a group of people who have done a lot of good things in this hobby rather than call one of his “buds” and ask her position. I suspect she would have told him she was already joining the network.

Perhaps the "major female podcasters" are not offended by the modified Richard Scarry kids book cover.

Added over 4 years ago:

Correction as pointed out later, this is a Berenstain Bears book.

There are 647 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-s-with-all-the-podcasts-ending/page/8?hl=captain-flint and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.