Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 647 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by screaminr
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Why are so many podcasts pulling the plug?”

• Oversaturation in the pinball podcasting market/ burnout. 204 votes
      66%
    • Something special coming up...stay tuned. 83 votes
      27%
    • Fishing for TWIPY votes. 20 votes
      7%

(307 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

160px-Cat_and_lion_in_mirror_illustration.svg (resized).png
    F4C66878-EC17-49BF-9CA7-896C0D49A57D (resized).jpeg
    3BC6163E-19AB-4777-A1BC-E5A69AF813CE (resized).jpeg
    6F0418D1-FD14-4727-A167-7DCA0AF4B25F (resized).jpeg
    0B129A03-C0EB-4146-BFC9-64667D904F71 (resized).jpeg
    3BA02CA9-47FE-4E08-AD68-CF0EC882C693 (resized).jpeg
    98FFFCD6-89F9-49DF-B225-E4AE72387BDE (resized).jpeg
    EA906A48-EF57-4FC0-9A0D-29E83C9A9F7C (resized).jpeg
    3BE58DFF-E859-43DF-8039-A29A66AD63AE (resized).jpeg
    B33C874E-67AF-40AC-95B3-651A351C1E3A (resized).jpeg
    18086-harvey-keitel (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200128_004804 (resized).jpg
    Al-Pacino-LaughSmoking.gif
    zero.point.zero.gif
    crash-and-burn1.gif
    DD831BDC-3A64-4C68-A7F0-0A7ACB3243D2.jpeg

There are 647 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 13.
    #301 4 years ago

This thread has taken a dumb, unfortunate, unnecessary, and dumb (repeats saying) turn.

Let's get back to an important topic: I need one to many cohosts for my new podcast called ""The 40-something white man who is moderately well off but not rich and enjoys playing pinball but not as much as drinking while playing pinball while talking shit about the banality and stupidity of pinball and Pinside fiesta of friendship 26 minute extravaganza."

I thought I had a potential match with Yancy, but his rampant Communism, lack of love for Predator, and his non-viewing of Jaws has disqualified him. Will anybody rise up to seize this awesome opportunity?

The sad thing is when I wrote my post about my dumb podcast idea (unless somebody is into it ) I thought that was one of the more ridiculous things in this thread. Sadly, I have been proven oh so wrong in the past few hours.

Carry on.

#302 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Take it easy on K-man...afterall, he did just learn what a fan layout was a couple weeks ago.

Well, in fairness I didn't know exactly what it meant either until a couple months back. But then again, I've only been in the hobby for 6 months, not 6 years.

#303 4 years ago

The only diversity in pinball is the predominantly Hispanic workforce at Stern’s factory assembling the games for a slave wage.

#304 4 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

This thread has taken a dumb, unfortunate, unnecessary, and dumb (repeats saying) turn.

Yes, we found out the podcasts won't be ending after all.

#305 4 years ago

Gotta love the banter here lately......to think that Kaneda got banned here back in the day, these days no-one would notice him as being outrageous, he would be a moderate, lol.

anyone remember "the Purge" that never happened??

#306 4 years ago
    Quoted from DerGoetz:

The fourth movie in the series?

#307 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

The fourth movie in the series?

The one and only

#308 4 years ago
    Quoted from DerGoetz:

Since "The Purge" did not happen, can we get "The Culling"?

I swear, some of the poster's on this board make me question if their parent's had any children that lived.

#309 4 years ago

The one takeaway from all of this ... Dennis Kriesel is a gentleman and articulate “pinball guy”. Who can’t appreciate his knowledge, humor, and humility? Jack & Zack both have an agenda, it is what it is. Buy, buy, buy!

#310 4 years ago
    Quoted from Globalcop:

You made me have to go look up the definition of womanizer. I don’t think it means what you think it means.

It’s a man that’s really good in bed that women really enjoy. So much so that the ride is short with a long line. It’s a brand name for very popular women’s sex toys. Britney Spears basically pants and moans through her entire hit song. Women use it in the context of that guy is always going to have women around him and for good reason. Girls today use the term snack, delicious and quick but everyone always wants a bite. I can’t imagine how it would could be used as an insult beyond jealousy.

That Kaneda thought it was a guy that goes around insulting women was hilarious.

#311 4 years ago
    Unknown (resized).jpgUnknown (resized).jpg
    #312 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Take it easy on K-man...afterall, he did just learn what a fan layout was a couple weeks ago.

That's what gets me... you absolutely do NOT have to own machines, be a tourney player, be good at pinball, operate a route, fix machines, etc. etc. to have a podcast about pinball...

but, if none of those, you should, at least, oh, I dunno...play pinball? If you don't know what a fan layout is, you aren't playing pinball that often.

Certainly you're welcome to do a podcast, but gosh, why? Weird way to ego trip but to each their own I guess

#313 4 years ago
    663C9B2A-CAA2-4F41-98D6-BE1C150AC580 (resized).png663C9B2A-CAA2-4F41-98D6-BE1C150AC580 (resized).png
    #314 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

[quoted image]

If you haven’t seen it watch John Mulaneys bit on Bill Clinton, it’s hilarious.

#315 4 years ago

I can't wait for more podcasts with John Osborne talking about the little old lady that made lunch for all of the salaried Gottlieb employees.

#316 4 years ago

Something tells me the only change I will see is to go from ten podcasts that I never listened to even once to one pinball channel that I never listen to once. Oh well, good luck with that.

#317 4 years ago

It's not like any of them have coveted sponsorships from MeUndies or TheCashApp, do they?

#318 4 years ago
    Quoted from russdx:

Also who cares if it’s just a bunch of white guys sadly that’s the demographic of this hobby, if you have to chuck some women in there just for political correctness that’s just really sad.

Where are you getting your demographic data from? I use Facebook analytics to track things like gender and age of people who are interested in our pinball show page and who say they will be attending on the FB invite, it helps me better target my ad buys for the show, and women are a healthy number of the people clicking into pinball news and events. In some age brackets nearing 30-40%. Locally I see that backed up in the demographics of the bar league teams, ladies pinball tournaments, and mixed tournaments. I think it's naive to think political correctness would drive the desire to include women, for the savvy business person I'd think the driving factors would be increasing your audience and market share with a group of people you know are active in pinball and receptive to the content. While I'd agree with you if you were talking about the home buyer market of new pinball machines, that is mostly older white guys, but pinball media should go for a larger market than the manufacturers, they should go after the players, not just the collectors. If you participate in leagues, tournaments, bar nights, go to barcades and attend pinball shows, you'd realize the women are a sizable demographic of pinball players and one that's growing. When you are selling a product, you look for where the market is growing and try to cater to that growing sector if you want to make money.

#319 4 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

[quoted image]

Dang, I was close though! It was a girl from Marco, just not the one I thought it would be!

#320 4 years ago
    Quoted from wlf_:

That's what gets me... you absolutely do NOT have to own machines, be a tourney player, be good at pinball, operate a route, fix machines, etc. etc. to have a podcast about pinball...
    but, if none of those, you should, at least, oh, I dunno...play pinball? If you don't know what a fan layout is, you aren't playing pinball that often.

Triggered Warning:

How often you play pinball has nothing to do with whether or not you know what a "fan layout" is. I wish people would lay off that all ready; "fan layout" is such an inside-baseball term, and people use it without defining it. It's one of those terms that everyone just assumes that you know what it means. Besides, are you following K around checking how often he plays? He had a BM66 in his bedroom until a couple months ago. One would assume he played it when he owned it, and he lives in New York. Hardly a lack of places to play machines there.

Get some perspective. He's not my favorite person either, but he does offer an appreciable counter-perspective to all of the other pinball shows. I love how even though he's won two Twipys, people post on Pinside like everyone is in agreement about how awful he is. Obviously a lot of people on pinside listen to, and like his show, so I wish people would realize that they're in a "mixed" room on pinside, not a "we hate Kaneda" room. Bashing Kaneda is intentionally provocative behavior in my opinion.

If you really wanna bash K-man, how about mocking him for something he did that was actually dumb or showed poor judgement--ie. having to be physically removed from the NY Championships last year, due to inappropriate and disruptive behavior.

Triggered Post Over!

#321 4 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Let's get back to an important topic: I need one to many cohosts for my new podcast called ""The 40-something white man who is moderately well off but not rich and enjoys playing pinball but not as much as drinking while playing pinball while talking shit about the banality and stupidity of pinball and Pinside fiesta of friendship 26 minute extravaganza."

What if we changed that to fitty-something ? Hmmm... I've kept 7th graders entertained 5 shows a day (54 minutes), 180 days a year for almost 30 years. This crowd would be a piece of cake. All I would really need would be 1 or 2 "insiders" to feed me info. Wait... I just thought of one...

#322 4 years ago

Tony, looked what you unleashed here... You and yer "podcasts."

#323 4 years ago

Okay, that's kind of ironic considering Krystle is a good friend of Jack's. I'm sure Jack will apologize though, right??? (I'll still love Deadflip regardless)

Anyway, that's great news as Krystle is super awesome.

Quoted from Coz:

[quoted image]

#324 4 years ago
    Quoted from iloveplywood:

Okay, that's kind of ironic considering Krystle is a good friend of Jack's. I'm sure Jack will apologize though, right??? (I'll still love Deadflip regardless)

If that's true, it's even weirder. Why wouldn't Jack have asked her himself before posting on Facebook if they are good friends?

#325 4 years ago
    3n1hbb (resized).jpg3n1hbb (resized).jpg
    #326 4 years ago
    Quoted from DerGoetz:

Gotta love the banter here lately......to think that Kaneda got banned here back in the day, these days no-one would notice him as being outrageous, he would be a moderate, lol.

I'm still wondering what the Venn diagram looks like of pinside.com and ar15.com forum members.

#327 4 years ago
    Quoted from Greenandwhite:

The one takeaway from all of this ... Dennis Kriesel is a gentleman and articulate “pinball guy”. Who can’t appreciate his knowledge, humor, and humility? Jack & Zack both have an agenda, it is what it is. Buy, buy, buy!

100% agree. Especially since he just uses a normal speaking voice and doesn't affect some bizarre shock jock intonation.

Do you really think those other two guys actually talk that way at their family dinner table? It's disingenuous from the get-go.

#328 4 years ago
    Quoted from wlf_:

Certainly you're welcome to do a podcast, but gosh, why? Weird way to ego trip but to each their own I guess

My buddy, Bill, 56 yoa, has been playing pinball for decades. He currently owns six that he routes on location at his motorcycle repair shop and plays them everyday. We both recently drive 2000 miles round trip to visit pin locations in Pittsburgh.
    He got me into the hobby.
    He's extremely good at playing and loves the games. He doesn't listen to podcasts, he doesn't read pinside, he ridicules me because I do.
    He's never heard of a fan layout.
    By the way, on the drive back from Pittsburgh I think I got him hooked on Kaneda.

#329 4 years ago

Um.... crap sorry too much 13% beer and i forgot what i was going to say.....

#330 4 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Something tells me the only change I will see is to go from ten podcasts that I never listened to even once to one pinball channel that I never listen to once. Oh well, good luck with that.

Exactly

#331 4 years ago
    Quoted from 2Kaulitz:

Um.... crap sorry too much 13% beer and i forgot what i was going to say.....

Canadian Beer = Moonshine (resized).pngCanadian Beer = Moonshine (resized).png
    #332 4 years ago

Well, the good news is....I should be on a Kaneda podcast real soon!
    I'll clear this shit up!

#333 4 years ago

I tried to listen to all the podcasts out there to show support in general for people that are really doing it for the love of the hobby. I'd throw them on the Bluetooth and find myself enjoying most of the objective opinions offer but some of the interviews were a bit rough. Overall I will continue to support all that carry on their casting. I hope the people that did cast understand that I do appreciate what they offered with each of their shows. I'm also sorry I didn't want to come on. I know I was asked a few times but it's really not my thing. Good luck all!

#334 4 years ago
    Quoted from iloveplywood:

Jack was threatened by the new entrant. It’s like everyone else joined a club and didn’t invite you/him.

#335 4 years ago
    Quoted from nwpinball:

Where are you getting your demographic data from? I use Facebook analytics to track things like gender and age of people who are interested in our pinball show page and who say they will be attending on the FB invite, it helps me better target my ad buys for the show, and women are a healthy number of the people clicking into pinball news and events. In some age brackets nearing 30-40%. Locally I see that backed up in the demographics of the bar league teams, ladies pinball tournaments, and mixed tournaments. I think it's naive to think political correctness would drive the desire to include women, for the savvy business person I'd think the driving factors would be increasing your audience and market share with a group of people you know are active in pinball and receptive to the content. While I'd agree with you if you were talking about the home buyer market of new pinball machines, that is mostly older white guys, but pinball media should go for a larger market than the manufacturers, they should go after the players, not just the collectors. If you participate in leagues, tournaments, bar nights, go to barcades and attend pinball shows, you'd realize the women are a sizable demographic of pinball players and one that's growing. When you are selling a product, you look for where the market is growing and try to cater to that growing sector if you want to make money.

This is all assuming that the consumers are less concerned with finding a quality product (in this case interesting content from knowledgeable compelling hosts) and more concerned with listening to the voices of people with whom they share superficial traits.

Unless of course you're saying that there's such a difference between men and women that women can't find what men say about pinball interesting and vice versa.

Based on your logic, women hosted pinball podcasts will dwell on social-political topics that might veer off of pinball and get more the politics of women in pinball. Personally not something I'd subscribe to.

There are plenty of cultural and political podcasts I can listen to for that. I listen to pinball podcast for pinball.

#336 4 years ago

Or people might just like hearing from kick-ass women pinball players talking about pinball. I wouldn't assume the quality would go down or it would veer into social-political comments, I'd assume it would be good content delivered by a variety of people so it has a wider appeal. Personally, I'd probably listen to more pinball podcasts if they had a wider variety of hosts, formats and content. I think the biggest complaint people seem to have is there isn't enough variety. We have a local pinball podcast that I've been on a few times hosted by a guy and woman and they do some fun stuff and have a nice back and forth in the interviews and games they do (I guess I should plug it: https://www.skill-shot.com/content/category/podcast). Some of my favorite non-pinball podcasts have a similar format with a male and female host doing the interviews, telling the stories and riffing off each other.

#337 4 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

What if we changed that to fitty-something ? Hmmm... I've kept 7th graders entertained 5 shows a day (54 minutes), 180 days a year for almost 30 years. This crowd would be a piece of cake. All I would really need would be 1 or 2 "insiders" to feed me info. Wait... I just thought of one...

I think we can make an exception for you. Your extensive experience with 7th graders more than qualifies you to weigh in on Pinsiders! Welcome aboard!

#338 4 years ago
    Quoted from nwpinball:

Or people might just like hearing from kick-ass women pinball players talking about pinball.

I have a hard enough time listening to regular women when they are doing all the talking.

#339 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I have a hard enough time listening to regular women when they are doing all the talking.

Yer not meeting the right women, my brotato...

#340 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Back in my day we didn't need podcasts to play pinball

No, we need them to do the dishes, tidyup the garage, and drive around in our cars!

#341 4 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

No, we need them to do the dishes, tidyup the garage, and drive around in our cars!

Are we talking about women again?

#342 4 years ago

The problem with most pinball podcasts is the people doing them just cant hold my attention for very long. You can take the most knowledgeable well respected person on this forum and he might be horrible at doing podcasts. Some people are good at podcasting and some aren't, and unfortunately there arent many good ones when it comes to talking about pinball. They might be great people and fun to talk to in real life but they just cant hold your attention in a podcast.

#343 4 years ago

It's like being in a conversation you are not a part of and no way to slap the person when they say something stupid.

At least on the forum we all communicate like human beings.

#344 4 years ago

To all of the the virtue signalers, the misogynsts, the people that say we need diverse opinions, to those that say we don't need diverse opinions, the ones that say we have a podcast syndicate to advertise one distributor's games, and to all other mouth breathers in general that took a thread full of promise and made it into a raging shitstorm of shit I want you to know one thing and one thing only:

My cats hate the vast majority of all of you.

I'm going to bed.

15-disappointed-cats-who-are-judging-you-poor-life-choices (resized).jpg15-disappointed-cats-who-are-judging-you-poor-life-choices (resized).jpg
    #345 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

It's like being in a conversation you are not a part of and no way to slap the person when they say something stupid.
    At least on the forum we all communicate like human beings.

So true!! and in one particular case, it's the "fix" he needed and would never be accomplished in an active forum..ATTENTION. I would say an embarrassment to the credibility of the hobby, but not really...enjoy the bs (many apparently do), or just don't listen. I tried to make it through one of the episodes..remembering the poison that was left here, I couldn't make it.

I enjoy the streams of gameplay, and people that speak about the games from a point of actual perspective.

#346 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

For modern pinball are there any examples of games that arent fan layouts?

How many side flipper shots do it need to be, for not beeing a fan layout?

The way i see it all games have fan layouts.

#347 4 years ago

Well the game Kaneda had in his bedroom was a fan layout of the nearly classical sense. So he somehow crossed wires and thought it was “fans” of layout. We all have brain farts don’t we? But obviously the guy has thousands of plays on fan layout games.

Many of his points are right on. The delivery and ego are indeed tough to swallow. But over time it’s become amusing to me at least. It’s super entertaining, short, current, and funny.

Also loved special when lit. Great stuff from both. Was a tough Twipy vote.
    456E984C-8F97-45E4-B679-66811E2C80A3 (resized).jpeg456E984C-8F97-45E4-B679-66811E2C80A3 (resized).jpeg

#348 4 years ago
    Quoted from OnTheSnap:

Well the game Kaneda had in his bedroom was a fan layout of the nearly classical sense

I'd be happy to invite him or anybody else here to compete on fan layout No Fear.

#349 4 years ago

Welp, good news is I just devoured all seven pages here.

Bad news is I just devoured all seven pages here.

#350 4 years ago
    Quoted from Globalcop:

I won’t be renewing my Dead flip twitch subscription come February.

holy shit people.

Take another look at the picture. If you know Jack you know he was being lightheartedly funny - way too many people getting their Y-fronts in a twist on this and a lot of uptightness (maybe understandably in someways) about this post. But cancelling subscriptions on this one thing that is meant to be funny? I'm struggling with that.

There are 647 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-s-with-all-the-podcasts-ending/page/7?hl=onthesnap and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.