Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 647 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by screaminr
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Why are so many podcasts pulling the plug?”

• Oversaturation in the pinball podcasting market/ burnout. 204 votes
      66%
    • Something special coming up...stay tuned. 83 votes
      27%
    • Fishing for TWIPY votes. 20 votes
      7%

(307 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

160px-Cat_and_lion_in_mirror_illustration.svg (resized).png
    F4C66878-EC17-49BF-9CA7-896C0D49A57D (resized).jpeg
    3BC6163E-19AB-4777-A1BC-E5A69AF813CE (resized).jpeg
    6F0418D1-FD14-4727-A167-7DCA0AF4B25F (resized).jpeg
    0B129A03-C0EB-4146-BFC9-64667D904F71 (resized).jpeg
    3BA02CA9-47FE-4E08-AD68-CF0EC882C693 (resized).jpeg
    98FFFCD6-89F9-49DF-B225-E4AE72387BDE (resized).jpeg
    EA906A48-EF57-4FC0-9A0D-29E83C9A9F7C (resized).jpeg
    3BE58DFF-E859-43DF-8039-A29A66AD63AE (resized).jpeg
    B33C874E-67AF-40AC-95B3-651A351C1E3A (resized).jpeg
    18086-harvey-keitel (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200128_004804 (resized).jpg
    Al-Pacino-LaughSmoking.gif
    zero.point.zero.gif
    crash-and-burn1.gif
    DD831BDC-3A64-4C68-A7F0-0A7ACB3243D2.jpeg

There are 647 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 13.
    #201 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dkjimbo:

https://goforthewall.wordpress.com/2020/01/23/taf/?fbclid=IwAR2QpfWTYFN7oTFgxEbTTNZMzUdMAYPryHouHwvYvDgjP4BU9E6wNDmFM
    Easily the most direct and articulate point at the heart of the matter here. Question is now, what is going on behind the scenes in terms of damage control? How do they put the toothpaste back in the tube?

Damage control for what?

#202 4 years ago

lol... these reactions are fricken bonkers!!!

#203 4 years ago

To all of you folks complaining that these pinball podcasts are mostly a non-stop hype train promoting the industry... that's what I tune in for. I listen to Special When Lit once a week on the way to work and really enjoy the positivity of it. I like hearing speculation about upcoming games, newly released games, and the hobby in general. Heck, sometimes it's fun just to listen to someone's fun time at a trade show, or their quest to find their grail game. Pinball is a happy thing to me, and I'd like to keep it that way. I understand that there are gripes within the industry with quality control problems, manufacturers going under, and all sorts of interpersonal drama, but I certainly don't want to hear people complain about it non stop. At the end of the day, I think that the podcasts further the hobby, and that's a good thing for all of us.

#204 4 years ago

It's only pinball

#205 4 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Lee is a good guy. I am 100% certain that his intentions to leave were genuine. My guess is someone reached out to him offering a chance to reconsider and do something a little different and he changed his mind. I’d guess he still has the feelings he expressed, but maybe now he can make more of difference and reach more people.

I think that comes through in the blog posting I linked to afterwards. I had posited my question before that came out.

#206 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

While diversity and inclusion is a good thing...who is Jack to point out the whiteboyness of anything? He’s the whitest white boy working for the whitest haired white man who’s company is staffed pretty exclusively by white boys. Maybe the next Stern reveal stream will include some of the Latinx women from the factory floor?

RIGHT???

#207 4 years ago

There are a lot of different pinball podcasts out there that cater to a lot of different interests. Who wants to join me as cohost(s) of "The 40-something white man who is moderately well off but not rich and enjoys playing pinball but not as much as drinking while playing pinball while talking shit about the banality and stupidity of pinball and Pinside fiesta of friendship 26 minute extravaganza?" I think the title is catchy and not at all hard to say, but am willing to make some modifications.

The qualities that I am looking for in a cohost(s) include:

You are a 40 something, moderately well off but not rich white man; identify as one; know one or have known one; or just have a pulse in general.
    Your level of snarkiness and general jack-assery exceed your pinball ability.
    You drink while playing pinball and talking about pinball. I prefer alcohol, but you can feel free to drink whatever you like.
    Must know how to swim (some podcasts will be recorded from my boat, pool, or a nearby waterpark).
    Must know how to eat crabs or be willing to learn.
    And most importantly, you can get your points and mine across to an audience in 26 minutes or less. Coherency is not a priority.
    No communists, please.

Anybody ready to join me on this rocket ship of awesomeness?

#208 4 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

There are a lot of different pinball podcasts out there that cater to a lot of different interests. Who wants to join me as cohost(s) of "The 40-something white man who is moderately well off but not rich and enjoys playing pinball but not as much as drinking while playing pinball while talking shit about the banality and stupidity of pinball and Pinside fiesta of friendship 26 minute extravaganza?" I think the title is catchy and not at all hard to say, but am willing to make some modifications.
    The qualities that I am looking for in a cohost(s) include:
    You are a 40 something, moderately well off but not rich white man; identify as one; know one or have known one; or just have a pulse in general.
    You drink while playing pinball and talking about pinball. I prefer alcohol, but you can feel free to drink whatever you like.
    Must know how to swim (some podcasts will be recorded from my boat, pool, or a nearby waterpark).
    And most importantly, you can get your points and mine across to an audience in 26 minutes or less. Coherency is not a priority.
    No communists, please.
    Anybody ready to join me on this rocket ship of awesomeness?

Can we broadcast from Crabtown?

#209 4 years ago

I think for me the bottom line is that while there obviously was a misstep in how the video was done and handled, especially if they already had a female personality agree to join the network, the best way to handle a question like this would have been for someone to contact Zach or one of the other members privately and ask the question. Then if it was apparent they were excluding women or persons of color you would have the facts prior to posting anything on social media.

Posting something on your Facebook page without even speaking to those involved just invites drama and conflict. It also opens you up for a glass houses and stones problem when you cash a weekly paycheck from and represent a company that not only doesn’t have a single woman in a position of power but also manufactured a pinball machine just 4 years ago called Big Juicy Melons...

#210 4 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Can we broadcast from Crabtown?

Hell's Yeah! Get some crab topped fries and some Crushes and we are good to go! Should I put you down as cohost (multiple positions open), guest correspondent, or nemesis? In my sampling of podcasts we will need 1-n number of nemesis to be relevant.

#211 4 years ago
    Quoted from PantherCityPins:

represent a company that not only doesn’t have a single woman or person of color in a position of power

George Gomez enters the chat...

OIP.aKyimDs_fNCgWVXtrycFxgHaFH (resized).jpgOIP.aKyimDs_fNCgWVXtrycFxgHaFH (resized).jpg
    #212 4 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

George Gomez enters the chat...[quoted image]

139306 (resized).jpg139306 (resized).jpg
    #213 4 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

George Gomez enters the chat...[quoted image]

Touché, I removed the person of color comment.

Any women?

#214 4 years ago

Touché, remove the person of color comment then.
    Any women?

There's also the Asian fella with the mask who does programming.

#215 4 years ago

Touché, remove the person of color comment then.
    Any women?

Dunno. I don't know who works at which company but I am not trying to score points on this topic and look for gotchas.

#216 4 years ago

Forget it.

#217 4 years ago

I really wish you would repost your comment. I thought it to be really intelligent and well written, and agreed with it. I think you hit it on the head.

#218 4 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Dunno. I don't know who works at which company but I am not trying to score points on this topic and look for gotchas.

I’m not trying to score any points here.

The whole thing is more of the cancel culture mentality that has gotten into social media.

It sounds like a simple phone call from Jack to Zach would have avoided the whole mess.

#219 4 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

I really wish you would repost your comment. I thought it to be really intelligent and well written, and agreed with it. I think you hit it on the head.

You know what... it’s not worth it. There’s a lot of really amazing people out there with huge hearts that spend their time going above and beyond. And no matter what they do, people are going to throw shade and anger at them. That post wouldn’t have changed a single thing.

#220 4 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

Who cares how they are being sponsored? Who cares if Zach is doing it to help his business? People do realize that for some folks, pinball is more than just a hobby where you drop a few quarters and then go on Pinside to bitch about stuff right? For some people it is a business.
    Many people on here seem to think that everything everyone does for them should be for free, and every pinball manufacturer should limit their profit to the bare minimum so as to give back to the poor, hungry huddled pinball masses. Sometimes I think the hobby needs to get over itself.
    As for Kaneda, he has his own agenda, which is to feed his ego. That's fine, but doesn't make him better or worse than anyone else with a mic.

Paul - it's called transparency and honesty. Neither were exercised in the execution of this. That's my problem with it. Just a bonehead rollout.

#223 4 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

You know what... it’s not worth it. There’s a lot of really amazing people out there with huge hearts that spend their time going above and beyond. And no matter what they do, people are going to throw shade and anger at them. That post wouldn’t have changed a single thing.

All fair points. Still, and I say this sincerely, you had a very well thought out critique which I appreciated.

I know I have made a few posts in here that some where in jest and some where not but I am interested to see what comes out of this. If this means more and better content that is a great thing.

Until any of us can see really what the network will be doing and with whom, it is hard to judge how good this will be or how inclusive it will be. Let's all just wait and see.

#224 4 years ago

I don't know if Waison Cheng counts because once people start counting the "diversity" of people I don't know what counts or what they use as a deciding factor.

And just think a year ago we were counting coils...

#225 4 years ago

I think that all of them are at a loss how to be as interesting as the two time Twipy winner.

#226 4 years ago
    Quoted from maddog14:

I think that all of them are at a loss how to be as interesting as the two time Twipy winner.

Very soon to be a three time twipy winner.

#227 4 years ago

Can’t we just have one instance where someone doesn’t bring up “inclusion and diversity”??? It’s bad enough that the news talks about it non-stop, movies are trying to out-woke each other, and every TV show has to have a variety of “diverse” characters to avoid protests.

It’s almost like Jack has never been to a pinball convention.... whiter than the crowd at a hockey game. I guarantee that TPN would have female or diverse hosts if they applied. It’s not like Zach is shy about his left learnings.

Either way, I hope the network is successful while avoiding blatant schilling.

#228 4 years ago

IFPA top 100 players is not "diverse" enough.

54caa4c2226e2_-_pinball-1-xl (resized).jpg54caa4c2226e2_-_pinball-1-xl (resized).jpg
    #229 4 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

No communists, please.

Shit, I can't swim.

#230 4 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Shit, I can't swim.

I gotcha covered, brother!

man-wearing-a-fischerhemd-a-typical-shirt-of-a-fisher-water-wings-aaep8n (resized).jpgman-wearing-a-fischerhemd-a-typical-shirt-of-a-fisher-water-wings-aaep8n (resized).jpg
    #231 4 years ago

I'm also probably a communist by pinside standards.

#232 4 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

BnKdXqYmbmIsCfUpfqg1nRjP1gvxePhRcJ6sl1X6LSI (resized).jpgBnKdXqYmbmIsCfUpfqg1nRjP1gvxePhRcJ6sl1X6LSI (resized).jpg
    #233 4 years ago
    jXqCv2b (resized).jpgjXqCv2b (resized).jpg
    #234 4 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

What redeeming qualities do you bring to the table? We might could overlook some things.

Where do you stand on the movies Predator and Jaws?

#235 4 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

What redeeming qualities do you bring to the table?

Brevity. I'm into the whole 26 minutes or less thing.

Quoted from DBLM:

Where do you stand on the movies Predator and Jaws?

Predator, standard cheesy '80s action flick. Never seen Jaws.

I have feeling this isn't love at first sight.

#236 4 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Brevity. I love the whole 26 minutes or less thing.

Predator, standard cheesy '80s action flick. Never seen Jaws.
    I have feeling this isn't love at first sight.

I concur, but I like your moxie. We can have you as a field correspondent for special assignments. Or, if you feel like going full wrestling heel and/or embrace your communist roots you can be the show's first nemesis.

#237 4 years ago

All this for 2500 people in the world that listen to pinball podcasts.

#238 4 years ago
    MEME (resized).JPGMEME (resized).JPG
    #239 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jerryuop:

It’s not like Zach is shy about his left learnings.

In fairness, I think Zach does a pretty good job of avoiding political or social commentary in his videos and podcasts. He does enjoy a humorous Trump impression, but who doesn't? Also, he brought Cary Hardy on board SDTM, and I'm pretty sure Cary is a Trump guy. Cary's left his Youtube "Recommended" feed visible from time to time when he's been doing new-machine coverage, and it's often full of pro-Trump videos. But that's all okay, because there's room in the Pinball Hobby for everyone, even people that disagree.

Also, I heard a thought provoking line today that relates to this topic. It went like this, "People who aren't worried about inclusivity are usually all ready included!" Made me think, and made me laugh.

#240 4 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

In fairness, I think Zach does a pretty good job of avoiding political or social commentary in his videos and podcasts. He does enjoy a humorous Trump impression, but who doesn't? Also, he brought Cary Hardy on board SDTM, and I'm pretty sure Cary is a Trump guy. Cary's left his Youtube "Recommended" feed visible from time to time when he's been doing new-machine coverage, and it's often full of pro-Trump videos. But that's all okay, because there's room in the Pinball Hobby for everyone, even people that disagree.
    Also, I heard a thought provoking line today that relates to this topic. It went like this, "People who aren't worried about inclusivity are usually all ready included!" Made me think, and made me laugh.

I want to play pinball with anyone and everyone, except Steeler fans.

#241 4 years ago
    Quoted from jandrea95:

You left out Browns fans.

#242 4 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Paul - it's called transparency and honesty. Neither were exercised in the execution of this. That's my problem with it. Just a bonehead rollout.

Don't know that they owed anyone any transparency. They were leaving to start something new, and wanted it to be a surprise. As for honesty, where exactly did they lie about something? Serious ask, not aware of rampant dishonesty.

I have listened to and or watched most of the individuals involved in this, and they all seem to be nice people who love pinball and spend a lot of time, making little or no cash on that time, making content for the rest of us to sh*t on. Why are they suddenly the villains in the latest Pinside soap opera?

#243 4 years ago

To advance things, does anyone have a guess who the next TPN contributor will be? My money's on Imoto. She all ready knows a lot of the guys that have been announced to be part of TPN, and she's well know and well liked in the community. Plus, her relationship with Marco and other outside companies could explain a delay in her being able to commit. Since she'd have to figure out some contractual and legal stuff, in order to make a relationship with TPN work.

Any other thoughts or guesses?

#244 4 years ago

I watch The Bachelor. I listen to the podcasts. Of the three podcast I listen to not one has a male host.

There is absolutely no barrier to entry in the podcast world. The hosts we get are people with the passion and desire to turn on a mic. We are seeing a pure representation of people’ true interests. If it’s not what you like or expected to see you need to come to terms with it.

Until a woman or minority comes forward and says that they were stopped from having a podcast, this issue should not even be raised. Doing so is only an attempt to virtue signal at the expense of dividing the community over non-problems.

#245 4 years ago

Touché, I removed the person of color comment.
    Any women?

So what? What’s your point? Don’t just leave that hanging there for us to make assumptions. Are you saying that women aren’t allowed to work at pinball companies?

#246 4 years ago
    Quoted from Globalcop:

So what? What’s your point? Don’t just leave that hanging there for us to make assumptions. Are you saying that women aren’t allowed to work at at pinball companies?

No, I didn’t say that at all.

I had a whole long answer posted but as someone above said, it’s really not worth the angst at this point. This topic is the proverbial 3rd rail in our current society.

#247 4 years ago

I had a whole long answer posted but as someone above said, it’s really not worth the angst at this point. This topic is the proverbial 3rd rail in our current society.

3rd wail, actually.

#248 4 years ago

Ok, Sorry if I misunderstood your post.

#249 4 years ago
    Quoted from jandrea95:

or Canadians.

3B7796E2-4234-494E-A5B7-41F9E1FC289C.gif3B7796E2-4234-494E-A5B7-41F9E1FC289C.gif
    #250 4 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

....Also, he brought Cary Hardy on board SDTM,.../blockquote>

Is this in the positive or negative column?

There are 647 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-s-with-all-the-podcasts-ending/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.