Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 647 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by screaminr
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Why are so many podcasts pulling the plug?”

• Oversaturation in the pinball podcasting market/ burnout. 204 votes
      66%
    • Something special coming up...stay tuned. 83 votes
      27%
    • Fishing for TWIPY votes. 20 votes
      7%

(307 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

160px-Cat_and_lion_in_mirror_illustration.svg (resized).png
    F4C66878-EC17-49BF-9CA7-896C0D49A57D (resized).jpeg
    3BC6163E-19AB-4777-A1BC-E5A69AF813CE (resized).jpeg
    6F0418D1-FD14-4727-A167-7DCA0AF4B25F (resized).jpeg
    0B129A03-C0EB-4146-BFC9-64667D904F71 (resized).jpeg
    3BA02CA9-47FE-4E08-AD68-CF0EC882C693 (resized).jpeg
    98FFFCD6-89F9-49DF-B225-E4AE72387BDE (resized).jpeg
    EA906A48-EF57-4FC0-9A0D-29E83C9A9F7C (resized).jpeg
    3BE58DFF-E859-43DF-8039-A29A66AD63AE (resized).jpeg
    B33C874E-67AF-40AC-95B3-651A351C1E3A (resized).jpeg
    18086-harvey-keitel (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200128_004804 (resized).jpg
    Al-Pacino-LaughSmoking.gif
    zero.point.zero.gif
    crash-and-burn1.gif
    DD831BDC-3A64-4C68-A7F0-0A7ACB3243D2.jpeg

There are 647 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 13.
    #151 4 years ago
    Quoted from BrewersArcade:

So a bunch of dorky pinball drama

Kaneda is going to have a field day with all of this . I can just hear him now " the Network won't tell you this but I'll tell you how it really is , this machine is....... "
    So grab your popcorn sit back and enjoy the drama .

IMG_20200123_200801 (resized).jpgIMG_20200123_200801 (resized).jpg
    #152 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Anyone expecting a message other than "Be sure to drink your Ovaltine" coming out of these shows is fooling themselves.

Maybe they'll do live traffic updates too.

#153 4 years ago
    Quoted from PantherCityPins:

This seems like a bit of an extreme reaction. I understand the initial reaction to the line up as everyone is a white, middle aged, mid-western male. However, the people in the network have said they have already reached out to female content creators and wanted to make the announcement before it was leaked. I would think people would wait for a moment and see what develops rather than flaming the thing an hour after it is announced.
    Also, Dennis Kreisel said today that they are opening the network to anyone who wants to apply and provide content. I'm not sure how much more "inclusive" you can be than that.

How many Asian, East European, South American, Radical Middle Eastern, West African or Alaskan Inuit hosts are signed up? You shouldn’t be faulted for excluding non-existent hosts.

Their open mic approach is commendable. This sounds primarily like a network or broadcast channel. Hoping the hosts maintain creative control on their segments and independence.

#154 4 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

How many Asian, East European, South American, Radical Middle Eastern, West African or Alaskan Inuit hosts are signed up? You shouldn’t be faulted for excluding non-existent hosts.
    Their open mic approach is commendable. This sounds primarily like a network or broadcast channel. Hoping the hosts have creative control on their segments.

It would have looked worse if they had signed up person of ethnic background , colour or gender just for the sake of diversity . That doesn't help anyone . If someone has the talent , charisma and the confidence , whatever their heritage or gender is , I'm sure they would sign them up in a heartbeat , no matter who they were . I like Jack danger but it's a low blow to imply there was an agenda going on .

#155 4 years ago
    Quoted from PantherCityPins:

This seems like a bit of an extreme reaction. I understand the initial reaction to the line up as everyone is a white, middle aged, mid-western male. However, the people in the network have said they have already reached out to female content creators and wanted to make the announcement before it was leaked. I would think people would wait for a moment and see what develops rather than flaming the thing an hour after it is announced.
    Also, Dennis Kreisel said today that they are opening the network to anyone who wants to apply and provide content. I'm not sure how much more "inclusive" you can be than that.

Spot on, it really comes off as just manufactured drama. It upsets me as a new player, because I truly have enjoyed pretty much ALL content I have seen/listened to, etc.

Serious question, not trying to troll. - Do people really exist in this community who exclude non white males? Does anyone truly believe this new formed group of people doing content is excluding people? It just really rubs me the wrong way and comes off as phony.

Disappointing people are creating drama based on a teaser video. My wife (who is a female,lol) reaction to the video wasn't who wasn't included, she was happy Dennis Kreisel was involved, and that she hated the music, haha.

#156 4 years ago

Legit question: The Pinball Supernova guy had posted on his website to the effect that his content was not getting enough views, that he was being overshadowed by personalities, and that he was thinking of leaving the hobby. Now, he pops up as part of this network? What gives? Change of heart or was this part of a plan? Something feels a little ... off?

#157 4 years ago
    Quoted from screaminr:

It would have looked worse if they had signed up person of ethnic background , colour or gender just for the sake of diversity . That doesn't help anyone . If someone has the talent , charisma and the confidence , whatever their heritage or gender is , I'm sure they would sign them up in a heartbeat , no matter who they were . I like Jack danger but it's a low blow to imply there was an agenda going on .

Spot on as well! Im a white male, these guys arent ever inviting me on anything, nor should they feel compelled to. If I were charismatic, had tons of knowledge, and presented myself well for content purposes I am sure they would include me, regardless of how I was born. Pretending someone is bigoted, sexist, etc. without basis is just childish, and as you said, a low blow.

#158 4 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Legit question: The Pinball Supernova guy had posted on his website to the effect that his content was not getting enough views, that he was being overshadowed by personalities, and that he was thinking of leaving the hobby. Now, he pops up as part of this network? What gives? Change of heart or was this part of a plan? Something feels a little ... off?

I think it was just a poor launch. These guys are pinball guys, not marketing experts (I could be mistaken), and thats ok.

#159 4 years ago
    Quoted from jandrea95:

I think it was just a poor launch. These guys are pinball guys, not marketing experts (I could be mistaken), and thats ok.

I don’t think that is the case. I just checked the Pinball Supernova website and there is an update dated today talking about his decisions for joining the network. Some new tidbits are in this update. Worth a read.

https://pinballsupernova.wordpress.com/2020/01/23/it-was-a-very-short-retirement-from-pinball-welcome-to-the-pinball-network/

#160 4 years ago

When will the first Pinball Oscar's be? I got my popcorn ready! Categories are: Best Pinball Movie, Best pinball Drama scene, Best Pinball Drama Queen, Best Pinball Action Scene, Best Pinball Kiss. (Well that already goes to Jack Danger) no offense Jack. Best Supporting Pinball Player, Best Pinball Villain, Best Pinball Drain, Best Pinball Choke, The #1 Pinball bestie.

#161 4 years ago
    Quoted from DennisK:

This is fair. Originally there were a lot more hints but editing changes dropped some of the more obvious ones. Zach does love his hype after all!

That was actually coincidence. SwL and TWIP are the only two coordinated departures that related to the TPN launch (and Zach was going to leave TWIP Podcast this year anyway, for real no matter what, but he moved up the timing for this). We didn't know H2H was ending; Martin joining up was unrelated. Same with Pinball Supernova. The announcement of stopping came, someone thought "maybe he'd be interested if this was his marketing umbrella" and reached out and he was. But his quit was a "real" quit as originally intended. Anyway, just some behind-the-scenes fodder.

Yes, looking back at the video (I only could screen it myself once between meetings today, everything has been moving fast) I can totally see where the impression comes from. All I can do is apologize to anyone it upset there was no intent to make anyone feel left out. We've been discussing diversity internally specifically for quite a while and pre-reveal we were only comfortable reaching out to a handful of folks to try and control the messaging (and this included women, but we had no confirmation of acceptance before the trailer drop, which was motivated in part because there was concern that it was playing around with people's emotions too much to just drag it out after all the quitting announcements).
    And yes, the whole idea of TPN is to have an team-based umbrella for content creators to use. I have no idea if it'll work or not. But all sorts of differing voices are wanted.

Thanks Dennis. That explains it enough for me. If I didn’t miss news to the contrary somewhere, I hope to see continued episodes of Eclectic Gamers!

#162 4 years ago
    Quoted from jandrea95:

I think it was just a poor launch.

I agree . I've loved all of Zack's work , and have been watching STDM from the first episode . I even liked pinball cribs but I didn't get it was a play on a show that we don't get over here . Zack and Dennis K are very smart people , I'm surprised they didn't see that some blowback would come their way because of the way it ended . If they had just said we moving on , to start our own thing I think it would have gone down a lot better . I wish them all the best .

#163 4 years ago

I must be missing something i guess but i dont see what the big deal is? If you didn't listen to them before you’re not going to listen to them now either and Kaneda is still going to blow them all away and be the #1 pinball podcast. Im still trying to figure out what they are trying to accomplish here?

#164 4 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

I must be missing something i guess but i dont see what the big deal is? If you didn't listen to them before you’re not going to listen to them now either and Kaneda is still going to blow them all away and be the #1 pinball podcast. Im still trying to figure out what they are trying to accomplish here?

It's Obvious!

#166 4 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Im still trying to figure out what they are trying to accomplish here?

Selling more Pinstadiums?

#167 4 years ago
    Quoted from jandrea95:

Spot on, it really comes off as just manufactured drama. It upsets me as a new player, because I truly have enjoyed pretty much ALL content I have seen/listened to, etc.
    Serious question, not trying to troll. - Do people really exist in this community who exclude non white males? Does anyone truly believe this new formed group of people doing content is excluding people? It just really rubs me the wrong way and comes off as phony.
    Disappointing people are creating drama based on a teaser video. My wife (who is a female,lol) reaction to the video wasn't who wasn't included, she was happy Dennis Kreisel was involved, and that she hated the music, haha.

My mention of it was really more tied to the lack of female engagement, not as much to racial diversity although both are important considerations.

It's really more about how this hobby has had a...shall we say...sensitive and not always positive reputation as it relates to male/female dynamics. I don't speak for Jack of course but at this point in time in the hobby and in culture it would seem natural to be overly intentional in attempts to break down barriers and dispel myths. This is a massive fumbled missed opportunity for pro-activity. Simply being status quo here with nothing but middle age midwestern white guys is an issue worth addressing not because of ill intent but just sort of a lack of awareness and a perception of total inaction.

#168 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dkjimbo:

My mention of it was really more tied to the lack of female engagement, not as much to racial diversity although both are important considerations.
    It's really more about how this hobby has had a...shall we say...sensitive and not always positive reputation as it relates to male/female dynamics. I don't speak for Jack of course but at this point in time in the hobby and in culture it would seem natural to be overly intentional in attempts to break down barriers and dispel myths. This is a massive fumbled missed opportunity for pro-activity. Simply being status quo here with nothing but middle age midwestern white guys is an issue worth addressing not because of ill intent but just sort of a lack of awareness and a perception of total inaction.

I wonder if they contacted Mrs. Pin?

#169 4 years ago
    Quoted from Globalcop:

Great way to start the new network. Being basically dishonest to all of your listeners when you feigned quitting.
    It was time for me to yank my PayPal donations anyway. I just didn't want to go through the hassle of logging into PayPal. This is prompted me to do it.
    I hope Kaneda has a way to donate.[quoted image]

Just to clarify - Zach and Dennis are former co-hosts of the TWIP podcast, but This Week in Pinball is not involved with The Pinball Network in any way. I found out the details of it yesterday just like everyone else.

#170 4 years ago
    Quoted from HEAD_boss_HOG:

Plus 10000 for KANEDA. KANEDA IS THE BEST

Unknown copy 2 (resized).jpegUnknown copy 2 (resized).jpegimages-7 (resized).jpegimages-7 (resized).jpeg
    #171 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Anyone expecting a message other than "Be sure to drink your Ovaltine" coming out of these shows is fooling themselves.

Anyone who does not understand the Ovaltine joke shame on you

#172 4 years ago

We need more pinball podcasters and youtubers .. an army of podcasters all telling you their opinion about a game they haven't played yet

#173 4 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

Just to clarify - in spite of Zach and Dennis being former co-hosts of the TWIP podcast, This Week in Pinball is not involved with The Pinball Network in any way. I found out the details of it yesterday just like everyone else.

Good for you Jeff. I'm glad to see you being independent.

#174 4 years ago

I'm excited about the network! I will support it. I'll also continue to support TWIP as a patron! And I'll listen to Kaneda, Mrs. Pin, Poor Man, Awesome, Macho, etc.. I feel like pinball is supposed to be a fun hobby. LOL.

#175 4 years ago

Wow!

Hell hath no fury like a pinball podcast listener scorned!

I'm glad that some of you are making a stand. About what I'm not quite sure but I admire the passion.

#176 4 years ago
    macho_man.gifmacho_man.gif
    #177 4 years ago
    Quoted from Looprunner:

I'm excited about the network!

I'm flip n out over this news as well.

#178 4 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Well, considering that I had never heard of the site before it seems like a good move for him to get more visitors.

#179 4 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

Thanks Dennis. That explains it enough for me. If I didn’t miss news to the contrary somewhere, I hope to see continued episodes of Eclectic Gamers!

Eclectic Gamers Podcast is continuing. Separate from The Pinball Network stuff. One of my conditions to be involved.

Quoted from screaminr:

Zack and Dennis K are very smart people , I'm surprised they didn't see that some blowback would come their way because of the way it ended . If they had just said we moving on , to start our own thing I think it would have gone down a lot better . I wish them all the best .

Zach thought he left breadcrumbs around that he was getting ready for something new. As Jeff noted above, TWIP is separate from TPN and the last podcast episode was edited to ensure there was no impression that it was with TWIP.

My involvement was a bit more complicated. I was approached after the TPN idea was going to happen (I wasn't in the initial planning), so while I knew Zach would be departing TWIP Podcast in early 2020 it was later that I was asked to keep co-hosting with him. There was a planned launch and a desire to keep involvement secret beforehand so I attempted to respect that.

My thanks to everyone for their feedback. It's good to know what resonates and what falls flat.

#180 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dkjimbo:

These are fair points, I just think people are thinking about it too hard. It isnt that deep. Its some dudes who decided to join up and make one channel out of many. I would bet my house that if a woman had content to offer offered her services (NOT saying they dont exist, I know they do) they would be elated to take her up on the offer. Why wouldnt they? Even assuming they absolutely hated women, they arent stupid, they know it could open up a whole new opportunity to generate traffic.

Again, it comes off as childish to just assume they excluded anyone.

#181 4 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

Just to clarify - in spite of Zach and Dennis being former co-hosts of the TWIP podcast, This Week in Pinball is not involved with The Pinball Network in any way. I found out the details of it yesterday just like everyone else.

Wow... that is bullshit

#182 4 years ago
    Quoted from DennisK:

This is fair. Originally there were a lot more hints but editing changes dropped some of the more obvious ones. Zach does love his hype after all!

That was actually coincidence. SwL and TWIP are the only two coordinated departures that related to the TPN launch (and Zach was going to leave TWIP Podcast this year anyway, for real no matter what, but he moved up the timing for this). We didn't know H2H was ending; Martin joining up was unrelated. Same with Pinball Supernova. The announcement of stopping came, someone thought "maybe he'd be interested if this was his marketing umbrella" and reached out and he was. But his quit was a "real" quit as originally intended. Anyway, just some behind-the-scenes fodder.

Yes, looking back at the video (I only could screen it myself once between meetings today, everything has been moving fast) I can totally see where the impression comes from. All I can do is apologize to anyone it upset there was no intent to make anyone feel left out. We've been discussing diversity internally specifically for quite a while and pre-reveal we were only comfortable reaching out to a handful of folks to try and control the messaging (and this included women, but we had no confirmation of acceptance before the trailer drop, which was motivated in part because there was concern that it was playing around with people's emotions too much to just drag it out after all the quitting announcements).
    And yes, the whole idea of TPN is to have an team-based umbrella for content creators to use. I have no idea if it'll work or not. But all sorts of differing voices are wanted.

Thanks for clearing things up Dennis. I appreciate it. From an outsiders perspective, this appeared to be a highly choreographed set of departures and announcements designed to generate the greatest amount of publicity, even at the expense of misleading your audience a little bit. But it sounds like much of this was coincidence. I guess it's one of those things where you guys know what was intended, and what was truly going on, but to people on the outside it looked fishy. I think waiting longer to announce TPN might have actually have been better, as it would have given a little more distance from the departures and might have made things feel less "staged." But hey, what's done is done. I think everyone has learned something about how you do or do not launch a new media venture, and everyone has been given something to think about whether it be about transparency, or about diversity optics.

I'm looking forward to the new content, and to seeing how this will all work. Hopefully, Zach and the rest of you guys can take this all in stride and move forward in a positive way. I'll echo what I told Zach on Facebook. If you guys are able to, you should try and do a Women's Roundtable discussion as one of your earliest pieces of content on the new platform. Invite Lauren from Backbox, and some other ladies to come on and give their perspectives on the hobby. It would be a great way to come out the better on this, and it would give women the voice that they felt was missing from TPN's announcement. Also, see if you can get the Youtuber and Twitch Streamer "Mystery Pinball Theater 3000" on the network. He's an African American pinball player who has a good personality and who streams a lot of Pinball. I think he'd be a good fit. Cheers Den Den!

#183 4 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

This Week in Pinball is not involved with The Pinball Network in any way. I found out the details of it yesterday just like everyone else.

That's really shity . I can't believe you were treated that way . You deserve so much better . I for one really appreciate all the hard work and effort you put in to give to this community . I'm sure you can find replacements for twip podcast . Best of luck with everything .

#184 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Wow!
    Hell hath no fury like a pinball podcast listener scorned!
    I'm glad that some of you are making a stand. About what I'm not quite sure but I admire the passion.

Sometimes I see a fine line between passion and just wanting to bitch.

#185 4 years ago
    Quoted from DennisK:

Zach thought he left breadcrumbs around that he was getting ready for something new. As Jeff noted above, TWIP is separate from TPN and the last podcast episode was edited to ensure there was no impression that it was with TWIP.
    My involvement was a bit more complicated. I was approached after the TPN idea was going to happen (I wasn't in the initial planning), so while I knew Zach would be departing TWIP Podcast in early 2020 it was later that I was asked to keep co-hosting with him. There was a planned launch and a desire to keep involvement secret beforehand so I attempted to respect that.
    My thanks to everyone for their feedback. It's good to know what resonates and what falls flat.

Dennis , I believe your a stand up guy and will always conduct yourself with integrity . Even though I strongly disagree with you about the Hobbit . Just the more that comes out leaves a bad taste in my mouth but I'm not pointing the finger at you .

#186 4 years ago
    Quoted from pin2d:

I hope this means that TWIP will continue the podcast with different hosts.

#187 4 years ago
    zUntitled 725 x 815 final (resized).pngzUntitled 725 x 815 final (resized).png
    #188 4 years ago

How can you not have TWIP on a new Pinball Channel?

TWIP is the premiere pinball content site.

#189 4 years ago

Whomever has Ben Heck, Ted, Rarehero and all the classic Pinsiders as guests, that's who I'm going to listen to.

#190 4 years ago

I would never be a pinball podcaster. All the shit these guys take for having the gall to provide hours of free content is insane. I am 100% certain there was no intent to exclude anyone.

Not like here are dozens of female pinball podcasters out there that they are deliberately ignoring.

#191 4 years ago

I just can't believe Zach is that nieve to execute a plan like this and now we find out TWIP wasn't even aware - the platform he's leveraged to further promote his distribution didn't even know either?

Wow. Dirty.

I like a number of the guys he's recruited on this (Lee is a stand up guy - I've met him before can't say enough good about him) but this whole thing leaves a bad taste. I'm sure Zach will explain but hopefully he's willing to do it with folks that aren't shilling. I wouldn't mind picking his brain on this to understand where it all went wrong but we know he likes to stay within his comfort zone.

#192 4 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

How can you not have TWIP on a new Pinball Channel?
    TWIP is the premiere pinball content site.

Why give up the freedom to do whatever you want to do to join this 'network'?

#193 4 years ago
    Quoted from okayestpinballer:

Whomever has Ben Heck, Ted, Rarehero and all the classic Pinsiders as guests, that's who I'm going to listen to.

You tell em!!!

#194 4 years ago

https://goforthewall.wordpress.com/2020/01/23/taf/?fbclid=IwAR2QpfWTYFN7oTFgxEbTTNZMzUdMAYPryHouHwvYvDgjP4BU9E6wNDmFM

Easily the most direct and articulate point at the heart of the matter here. Question is now, what is going on behind the scenes in terms of damage control? How do they put the toothpaste back in the tube?

#195 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dkjimbo:

Jack danger already pointed out how it’s a white boy party and presents absolutely no diversity or inclusion whatsoever

While diversity and inclusion is a good thing...who is Jack to point out the whiteboyness of anything? He’s the whitest white boy working for the whitest haired white man who’s company is staffed pretty exclusively by white boys. Maybe the next Stern reveal stream will include some of the Latinx women from the factory floor?

#196 4 years ago

I'm certain that Zack has his reasons for all of this. I would suggest he be a guest on Kaneda's Podcast and explain what's behind all of those decisions. And he explaining on his own Network would seem disingenuous IMO.

#197 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I'm certain that Zack has his reasons for all of this.

Selling games.

#198 4 years ago

The Pinball Network - Paid for by the Pinball Industry

#199 4 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Lee is a good guy. I am 100% certain that his intentions to leave were genuine. My guess is someone reached out to him offering a chance to reconsider and do something a little different and he changed his mind. I’d guess he still has the feelings he expressed, but maybe now he can make more of difference and reach more people.

#200 4 years ago

Who cares how they are being sponsored? Who cares if Zach is doing it to help his business? People do realize that for some folks, pinball is more than just a hobby where you drop a few quarters and then go on Pinside to bitch about stuff right? For some people it is a business.

Many people on here seem to think that everything everyone does for them should be for free, and every pinball manufacturer should limit their profit to the bare minimum so as to give back to the poor, hungry huddled pinball masses. Sometimes I think the hobby needs to get over itself.

As for Kaneda, he has his own agenda, which is to feed his ego. That's fine, but doesn't make him better or worse than anyone else with a mic.

There are 647 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-s-with-all-the-podcasts-ending/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.