Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 647 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by screaminr
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Why are so many podcasts pulling the plug?”

• Oversaturation in the pinball podcasting market/ burnout. 204 votes
      66%
    • Something special coming up...stay tuned. 83 votes
      27%
    • Fishing for TWIPY votes. 20 votes
      7%

(307 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

160px-Cat_and_lion_in_mirror_illustration.svg (resized).png
    F4C66878-EC17-49BF-9CA7-896C0D49A57D (resized).jpeg
    3BC6163E-19AB-4777-A1BC-E5A69AF813CE (resized).jpeg
    6F0418D1-FD14-4727-A167-7DCA0AF4B25F (resized).jpeg
    0B129A03-C0EB-4146-BFC9-64667D904F71 (resized).jpeg
    3BA02CA9-47FE-4E08-AD68-CF0EC882C693 (resized).jpeg
    98FFFCD6-89F9-49DF-B225-E4AE72387BDE (resized).jpeg
    EA906A48-EF57-4FC0-9A0D-29E83C9A9F7C (resized).jpeg
    3BE58DFF-E859-43DF-8039-A29A66AD63AE (resized).jpeg
    B33C874E-67AF-40AC-95B3-651A351C1E3A (resized).jpeg
    18086-harvey-keitel (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200128_004804 (resized).jpg
    Al-Pacino-LaughSmoking.gif
    zero.point.zero.gif
    crash-and-burn1.gif
    DD831BDC-3A64-4C68-A7F0-0A7ACB3243D2.jpeg
    There are 647 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 13.
    #51 4 years ago

Even though it seems that there are a ton of seemingly undeserving people getting rich from social media, in reality it is very difficult to do. Especially with specialized content that has a limited audience. You need millions and millions of views and hundreds of thousands of subscribers. A good place to look at is social blade. It even gives estimated earnings as a range. Usually the actual pay is at the lower end of the range. See for example the post by eevblog where he talks about his earnings. He has almost 700,000 subscribers and over 100 million views, and he doesn’t really make that much money. He is far from rich. Something like $40,000-50,000 a year if I remember right. Check the estimated earnings for pinballsupernova on social blade. It’s practically zero. I agree the content is great. This is just the reality of the way it is, sadly. It takes a lot of work and time to produce that content. If you are doing it for your own entertainment that’s cool. But sometimes you wonder why you should bother if you get nothing for it.

#52 4 years ago
    Quoted from MachoPinball:

OHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHH!!!

Been enjoying your podcast, any chance of getting celebrity guests? Would love to hear you dust things up with my fav ... Dusty Rhodes.

Can we see a pic of your collection?

#53 4 years ago

BAYOU GETS ITTTTTT! LET’S MAKE THIS YEAR MACHO!

#54 4 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Pinball Supernova kind of hinted at this and if you look at his numbers, he's getting 10% of the viewership he once had.
    The others seemed like they were more established though.

I wish this were true but his podcast from 4 days ago has had over 2000 listen already. This week in pinball podcast will be a true loss.

#55 4 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Sooo, all that voted for him are d bags?

da4d0f468820fe4c02bd6e9cd72baf83 (resized).jpgda4d0f468820fe4c02bd6e9cd72baf83 (resized).jpg
    #56 4 years ago
    Quoted from JY64:

I wish this were true but his podcast from 4 days ago has had over 2000 listen already. This week in pinball podcast will be a true loss.

I was referencing Pinball Supernova....not TWIP.

#57 4 years ago

2 and 3 hour long podcasts are nauseating. Breaking them up into 15 minute bits of content I can choose would be much more useful. Having to nudge the slider across 3 hours of audio grabass and ego stroking is a hide & seek game I don't have the time to play. Hopefully if there is a joining of forces, they take this into consideration.

#58 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

2 and 3 hour long podcasts are nauseating. Breaking them up into 15 minute bits of content I can choose would be much more useful. Having to nudge the slider across 3 hours of audio grabass and ego stroking is a hide & seek game I don't have the time to play. Hopefully if there is a joining of forces, they take this into consideration.

Boy howdy.

#59 4 years ago

Whether they are joining forces or not, it's always the same 2 - 3 thousand people that actually listen to pinball podcasts.....does it really matter? I don't think this will spark any more interest if that's what the plan is. They're not going to get together and suddenly 100,000 people are going to start listening to people talk about pinball.

I also think that having a set schedule burns people out. You put unnecessary deadlines and pressure on yourself and I can see how that can suck the fun out of it after a while, especially when there's often not much material to work with.

#60 4 years ago

I always thought the Buffalo guys had it right. There is really only enough news to talk about once a month unless you want to get into the nitty gritty of pinside drama.

#61 4 years ago

I like listening to them all on the way to work. Gets my mind off of traffic. TWIP once a week, SWL once, Kaneda 3 times, and then throw in some Poor Man's and my mind is taken off of traffic completely. These guys sure beat the morning radio show hosts from the local stations by a mile. It will be sad to see almost half my channels gone this week.

#62 4 years ago
    Quoted from pipes:

I also think that having a set schedule burns people out. You put unnecessary deadlines and pressure on yourself and I can see how that can suck the fun out of it after a while, especially when there's often not much material to work with.

This is what Canada gets right - something happens in the industry or on pinside? He's out in 30 minutes with his podcast. This works for his audience.

Macho has embraced this philosophy as well. Pinball profile generally puts out content a day or so after an event or tournament.

A scheduled weekly podcast? There's a reason why Newsweek went out of print. In this day and age a weekly news report doesn't make a lot of sense.

#63 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This is what Canada gets right - something happens in the industry or on pinside? He's out in 30 minutes with his podcast. This works for his audience.
    Macho has embraced this philosophy as well. Pinball profile generally puts out content a day or so after an event or tournament.
    A scheduled weekly podcast? There's a reason why Newsweek went out of print. In this day and age a weekly news report doesn't make a lot of sense.

Plus, a shorter podcast works for our collective short attention span.

#64 4 years ago

So... I think 1 of 2 things is happening here.

Either:

Good: Many different podcasts are joining together for one super-show that we will all love and appreciate.
    Bad: The various podcasts have all received a legal notice from a licensor or manufacturing company that if they continue to operate and badmouth certain manufacturers, they will be sued.

My money is on the good option.

Either way, we have appreciated the free entertainment over the years! I will cry myself to sleep if it's the latter.

Thanks!

#65 4 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Good: Many different podcasts are joining together for one super-show that we will all love and appreciate.

Hope it's not another over-produced hot-mess like that Franchi one. It's only pinball. Keep it simple.

#66 4 years ago
    Quoted from pipes:

Hope it's not another over-produced hot-mess like that Franchi one. It's only pinball. Keep it simple.

DON’T LIKE PHOTOSHOP TUTORIALS, BROTHER?!!!

#67 4 years ago

If that's the case i imagine it more like a podcast/radio station. It's on 24/7 and each podcast goes for the usual 4 hour shifts.

#68 4 years ago

Bad: The various podcasts have all received a legal notice from a licensor or manufacturing company that if they continue to operate and badmouth certain manufacturers, they will be sued.

What kind of craziness is this, sue for what, does freedom of speech only apply when you make up crazy stuff in the US?

#69 4 years ago

I discovered that most people I play pinball with actually know about pinball. Sometimes it amazes even me!

#70 4 years ago

I'd rather listen to a terrible impression of Macho Man for two hours.

#71 4 years ago

I highly doubt it considering Kaneda is the only one with enough testicular fortitude to talk negatively about machines and manufactures. Not saying he is always right but at least he isn't scared to speak his mind and give an honest opinion. I have tried to listen to other podcasters but the constant praise of every new game and manufacture gets old and they never have anything negative to say.

#72 4 years ago
    Quoted from pipes:

I'd rather listen to a terrible impression of Macho Man for two hours.

I listened for 45 seconds before my ears bled. Please tell me it was all a spoof and there are no new shows...

#73 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

It's on 24/7 and each podcast goes for the usual 4 hour shifts.

D5C24728-508C-4E86-8BEA-402F39B108EF (resized).jpegD5C24728-508C-4E86-8BEA-402F39B108EF (resized).jpeg

#74 4 years ago

OHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHH!!!

BAYOU GETS ITTTTTT! LET’S MAKE THIS YEAR MACHO!

ALL YOUR POSTS ARE ALWAYS IN CAPS!!! MACHO OFF PLEASE!

#75 4 years ago

Something is going on. I just hope the amount of pinball ass kissing and content run by a distributor is balanced out.

Everyone wonders why all of this content is not being listened too yet Kaneda’s pulling in 2k per listen. Very simple - people are sick of the non stop ass kissing that goes on. I told this to Zach already but worth repeating - he’s talented no doubt but once he became a distributor it completely changed the rules. And this is from someone who donated to SDTM.

He can joke about it all he wants but that’s just his insecurity and rightfully so - you can’t sell people games and then give your “industry opinion” on what’s good and what’s not. People like Bone and Fowler now unfortunately get shrapnel from it as well. Best thing about Zach is that he’ll talk about inviting those that view this way on the show and can “hang” with anyone yet declines the invite from Kaneda. Hmmmm wonder why. Now that would be great content.

Btw - best new content I’ve heard is Fowler doing interviews. Really enjoying it. Great job Jason.

#76 4 years ago

Everybody is talking about all of these guys joining forces could be a good thing. I think it could be a shitty Voltron of mediocrity, rambling monologs, and meaningless platitudes. Be careful what you wish for because you might just get it.

#77 4 years ago

#78 4 years ago

Don’t listen to all these other pinball podcasts now. Still ain’t gonna listen even if they all gangbang a podcast together.

Fact: I never listened or even thought to listen to a podcast about pinball until Kaneda started his.

I thought, well, I really did like his interesting comments on Pinside. Now he’s been banned from Pinside and he has a podcast bashing Aurich, Whynow and that Alien guy....forget his name.

Sign me up. Been a listener since episode 1.

#79 4 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Something is going on. I just hope the amount of pinball ass kissing and content run by a distributor is balanced out.
    Everyone wonders why all of this content is not being listened too yet Kaneda’s pulling in 2k per listen. Very simple - people are sick of the non stop ass kissing that goes on. I told this to Zach already but worth repeating - he’s talented no doubt but once he became a distributor it completely changed the rules. And this is from someone who donated to SDTM.
    He can joke about it all he wants but that’s just his insecurity and rightfully so - you can’t sell people games and then give your “industry opinion” on what’s good and what’s not. People like Bone and Fowler now unfortunately get shrapnel from it as well. Best thing about Zach is that he’ll talk about inviting those that view this way on the show and can “hang” with anyone yet declines the invite from Kaneda. Hmmmm wonder why. Now that would be great content.
    Btw - best new content I’ve heard is Fowler doing interviews. Really enjoying it. Great job Jason.

I couldn't agree more. I miss the old SDTM days.

#80 4 years ago

Anyone else already exhausted and over it with the podcasts dissolving under a “cloak of mystery”? Clearly something is underway here and the secrecy is not building excitement it’s just annoying.

Let’s cut to the chase already.

#81 4 years ago

You know...Invasion of the Body Snatchers had pods steadily replacing the cast in the movie.
    And now pinball podcasts are disappearing left and right? We all better try not to fall asleep.

#82 4 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Everybody is talking about all of these guys joining forces could be a good thing. I think it could be a shitty Voltron of mediocrity, rambling monologs, and meaningless platitudes. Be careful what you wish for because you might just get it.

#83 4 years ago
    Quoted from pipes:

I couldn't agree more. I miss the old SDTM days.

Even then did they ever rate a newer game less then a B- ? Maybe they were feeling a little frisky and gave something a C+.

#84 4 years ago

My guess is that they are so frustrated with kaneda winning again (Zach likely has the numbers from being on the TWIPY panel) that they've decided to stop do everything separate and just join forces to have one big podcast which hopefully bumps up the total views.

Just a guess....

#85 4 years ago
    Quoted from chooch:

Even then did they ever rate a newer game less then a B- ? Maybe they were feeling a little frisky and gave something a C+.

True, but at least it seemed genuine.

#86 4 years ago

Wow! Even when Macho quotes someone else I read it in the Macho voice!

#87 4 years ago

Macho scared them all off... except us. WE ARE GUNNING FOR YOU MACHO!

(actually we just want to be your tag team partner)

#88 4 years ago

The various podcasts have all received a legal notice from a licensor or manufacturing company that if they continue to operate and badmouth certain manufacturers, they will be sued.

They have to be taking a hit, mixed reviews on certain machines with some judged outright failures, continuous onslaught of quality problems. Negative publicity and insider reviews detrimental to Sales would be the easiest to stifle. Its going around, if you leave a negative review on an item or Service with online Media in any form better have a Lawyer.

#89 4 years ago
    Quoted from Poorman:

Macho scared them all off... except us. WE ARE GUNNING FOR YOU MACHO!
    (actually we just want to be your tag team partner)

OOOOOOH YEAH!!! SOME TAG TEAM ACTION! LET’S PARTY!

#90 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

ESPECIALLY when there's tons of dead space, laughing, random stuff that has no relevance, etc. I've only listened to a few, but they could EASILY compress it 25% and lose nothing important.

#91 4 years ago

The pinball network?? Uh...could go one of two very different ways. Feb isn't that far away to find out...

pinball-network.gifpinball-network.gif

#92 4 years ago

What a fucked up day , listened to head to head they quit , listened to twip they quit , listened to Kaneda he said special when lit quit . Now I'm going to have to find something else to fill in 5 hours a week and I'm going to have to get my news and information from the poor man's pinball podcast ... well at least I learnt something about the poison King .

#93 4 years ago
    Quoted from chooch:

I highly doubt it considering Kaneda is the only one with enough testicular fortitude to talk negatively about machines and manufactures. Not saying he is always right but at least he isn't scared to speak his mind and give an honest opinion. I have tried to listen to other podcasters but the constant praise of every new game and manufacture gets old and they never have anything negative to say.

Honest opinion?
    Didnt Jersey Jack give Caneda an early preview of Wonka and he claimed to be impressed with how innovative and amazing it was?
    It seemed more of a ... I better kiss Jacks ass so that I might get a chance for another early preview of a future game.

#94 4 years ago
    Quoted from ultimategameroom:

Honest opinion?
    Didnt Jersey Jack give Caneda an early preview of Wonka and he claimed to be impressed with how innovative and amazing it was?
    It seemed more of a ... I better kiss Jacks ass so that I might get a chance for another early preview of a future game.

That just goes to show you it was his honest opinion , if he was really trying to get another preview he wouldn't have bagged it . Once it was aparent there was only a certain amount of clips from the movie with no voices from the actors and the modes sucked he changed his mind .

#95 4 years ago

It’s just too big of coincidence to not have something bigger going on behind the scenes

#96 4 years ago
    Quoted from Krupps4:

It’s just too big of coincidence to not have something bigger going on behind the scenes

It does seem really suss . Zac will be back he's too invested and I think he enjoys his media roll . But I don't think H2H and SWL would want to abandon their brands after they spent so much time building them up . Just the feeling I get . Time will tell .

#97 4 years ago

Especially Special When Lit, Ken and Bill are relatively new to the media scene and have really made a big impact in a short period of time. They really seemed to be enjoying that role and the podcast is a big part of it. It just doesn’t add up to walk away so abruptly. I know they have jobs and families and maybe life got in the way, but it just seems so odd to me especially with everything else going on.

#98 4 years ago
    Quoted from Krupps4:

Especially Special When Lit, Ken and Bill are relatively new to the media scene and have really made a big impact in a short period of time. They really seemed to be enjoying that role and the podcast is a big part of it. It just doesn’t add up to walk away so abruptly. I know they have jobs and families and maybe life got in the way, but it just seems so odd to me especially with everything else going on.

It wouldn't surprise me if you're right , I'm just going to take it for what it is until we hear otherwise .

#99 4 years ago

I quit H2H a year ago because I knew Macho was coming.

Didn't know he would take 11 months to release his first podcast... but it was good to get out earlier and not be embarrssed like the Marty, Zach and Ken have been over the last month of non stop quality 3 minute podcasts.

#100 4 years ago
    Quoted from ultimategameroom:

Honest opinion?

He was impressed with what he initially saw but when the game was revealed with lack if assets is when he changed his tune and pulled his deposit. He is doing the same thing now blowing Spooky since he is getting a R&M and bashing Stern StTh. Once TMNT is released he'll likely be praising Stern again. Like I said, I don't always agree with him but at least he is honest.

Quoted from screaminr:

That just goes to show you it was his honest opinion , if he was really trying to get another preview he wouldn't have bagged it . Once it was aparent there was only a certain amount of clips from the movie with no voices from the actors and the modes sucked he changed his mind .

This guy gets it.

There are 647 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-s-with-all-the-podcasts-ending/page/2?hl=sixtyfourbits and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.