Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 647 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by screaminr
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Why are so many podcasts pulling the plug?”

• Oversaturation in the pinball podcasting market/ burnout. 204 votes
      66%
    • Something special coming up...stay tuned. 83 votes
      27%
    • Fishing for TWIPY votes. 20 votes
      7%

(307 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

160px-Cat_and_lion_in_mirror_illustration.svg (resized).png
    F4C66878-EC17-49BF-9CA7-896C0D49A57D (resized).jpeg
    3BC6163E-19AB-4777-A1BC-E5A69AF813CE (resized).jpeg
    6F0418D1-FD14-4727-A167-7DCA0AF4B25F (resized).jpeg
    0B129A03-C0EB-4146-BFC9-64667D904F71 (resized).jpeg
    3BA02CA9-47FE-4E08-AD68-CF0EC882C693 (resized).jpeg
    98FFFCD6-89F9-49DF-B225-E4AE72387BDE (resized).jpeg
    EA906A48-EF57-4FC0-9A0D-29E83C9A9F7C (resized).jpeg
    3BE58DFF-E859-43DF-8039-A29A66AD63AE (resized).jpeg
    B33C874E-67AF-40AC-95B3-651A351C1E3A (resized).jpeg
    18086-harvey-keitel (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200128_004804 (resized).jpg
    Al-Pacino-LaughSmoking.gif
    zero.point.zero.gif
    crash-and-burn1.gif
    DD831BDC-3A64-4C68-A7F0-0A7ACB3243D2.jpeg

There are 647 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 13.
    #601 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I could have a moron of the week award too. Like the first guy that tried to get me fired. Or the man I had to explain wire to. Or the hour spent walking a man through removing three connectors and two screws. A frikken hour.
    And a prize if someone figures out who the moron was.
    LTG : )

That wasn’t me. Nope.

Shut up.

#602 4 years ago
    Quoted from Globalcop:

Agree. I have been trying a sampling of as many pinball podcasts as I can pull up in Pocket Cast. Kaneda is my favorite. Surprised how many of the others don't even talk much about pinball. And that's fine if it is a host(s) that one enjoys listening to. But none of them have that for me.
    By far, the thing that will have me unsubscribing quickest is an affected voice. I cannot listen to Zach M, there is simply no way he speaks like that to his family at the dinner table.
    Steve Dahl and Howard Stern showed that just talking plainly is the way to win listeners. Morning Zoo jock types are just cringe-inducing.

My apologies

#603 4 years ago
    Quoted from Globalcop:

Steve Dahl and Howard Stern showed that just talking plainly is the way to win listeners. Morning Zoo jock types are just cringe-inducing.

+1 for Steve & Garry. I sure miss the show. Saw them when they were doing the three city deal (Chicago, Detroit and Milwaukee) in '81 at the Americana Theater in Southfield as well as a few concerts in Chicago and Joilet in the mid- late '80's.

#604 4 years ago

Check out Episode 1 of Silverball Stories with Joshuah Jacobs! It’s refreshing and a format that’s different that your typical pinball podcast.

Silverball Stories: For The Love Of Creature

https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-c3nih-d3323e

3BA02CA9-47FE-4E08-AD68-CF0EC882C693 (resized).jpeg3BA02CA9-47FE-4E08-AD68-CF0EC882C693 (resized).jpeg
    #605 4 years ago

Welcome to Opening Day at The Pinball Network! Enjoy the pilot episode of "The Pinball Show" with your hosts Ken Cromwell & Zachary Meny. Looking forward to Dennis Kriesel joining us next week!

https://www.podbean.com/eu/pb-aqdbs-d31113

0B129A03-C0EB-4146-BFC9-64667D904F71 (resized).jpeg0B129A03-C0EB-4146-BFC9-64667D904F71 (resized).jpeg
    #606 4 years ago

Gotta check out Final Round Pinball Podcast Episode 1: Enter The Final Round exclusively on The Pinball Network
    Hosts Jeff Teolis and Martin Robbins
    https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-cbdnc-d35637

6F0418D1-FD14-4727-A167-7DCA0AF4B25F (resized).jpeg6F0418D1-FD14-4727-A167-7DCA0AF4B25F (resized).jpeg
    #607 4 years ago

R.I.P. all pinball podcasts. Everything about pinball has been said. Great job everyone!

#608 4 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

R.I.P. all pinball podcasts. Everything about pinball has been said. Great job everyone!

I knew it was over when the "two shills with Jack" podcast was made.

#609 4 years ago

I can’t think of a better Valentine’s Day than spending it listening to Ron Hallett and David Dennis covering Steve Ritchie and his early career in pinball! Enjoy and Happy Valentine’s Day from The Pinball Network!

https://www.podbean.com/eu/pb-yz5ay-d3a529

3BC6163E-19AB-4777-A1BC-E5A69AF813CE (resized).jpeg3BC6163E-19AB-4777-A1BC-E5A69AF813CE (resized).jpeg
    #611 4 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

I can’t think of a better Valentine’s Day than spending it listening to Ron Hallett and David Dennis covering Steve Ritchie and his early career in pinball!

You need to get out more.

#612 4 years ago

Damn Zack, stick to one thread, you're becoming the pinstadium of podcast threads... and that's coming from a fan.

#613 4 years ago
    Quoted from Raegor:

Damn Zack, stick to one thread, you're becoming the pinstadium of podcast threads... and that's coming from a fan.

I agree. This thread is dedicated to the memory of the pinball podcast glory days. We miss you.

#614 4 years ago
    Quoted from Raegor:

Quoted from pipes:

I agree. This thread is dedicated to the memory of the pinball podcast glory days. We miss you.

Sorry fellas, was just posting the first episode of each new podcast, so people can follow. Felt this thread was appropriate for the rollout this week. Noted and I’ll stick to my own thread.

#615 4 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

Sorry fellas, was just posting the first episode of each new podcast, so people can follow. Felt this thread was appropriate for the rollout this week. Noted and I’ll stick to my own thread.

Cue the "...whatever happened to the TPN podcasts?" posts.

#616 4 years ago

Just like those streamers that have follower only chat , rubs me the wrong way so I never watch, now everything is podbean and I need to install another app, I guess I'll pass.

#617 4 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

Just like those streamers that have follower only chat , rubs me the wrong way so I never watch, now everything is podbean and I need to install another app, I guess I'll pass.

The Pinball Network can be found on many podcatchers not just podbean. No need to install another app just search for The Pinball Network.

#618 4 years ago
    Quoted from ZMeny:

The Pinball Network can be found on many podcatchers not just podbean. No need to install another app just search for The Pinball Network.

How about plain old vanilla Youtube?

#619 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

How about plain old vanilla Youtube?

Podcasts are audio only.

#620 4 years ago

My favorite podcast era was listening to Coast to Coast, early Head2Head and K.

#621 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Podcasts are audio only.

For some reason I thought there was going to be some video content as well.

#622 4 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

For some reason I thought there was going to be some video content as well.

I think it is too. Just hasn’t been rolled out yet. When it is, I’m sure it will be on YT.

#623 4 years ago
    Quoted from WeLoveScott:

I really enjoyed coast to coast too. That and the pinball podcast.

#624 4 years ago
    Quoted from WeLoveScott:

Those were good times. Is Nate still doing those Stern podcasts or has that died off?

#625 4 years ago

Not sure. I didnt follow anyone behind a fire wall. The rest of the podcast game seems to go...

”what have you been up to””not much you?””not much.””boy do I like to drink.””no kidding, so do I!”“More games...if the wife will let me””blah blah blah”

Etc ad nauseum. Nate Shivers. by contrast, took me around the world and somehow gave me a glimpse of a pinball universe that I wanted to explore. He was so talented behind the mic. There was the sweet sensation of nostalgia but it also felt fresh.

#626 4 years ago

As good as Nate is, there’s no way I would listen to a podcast that is set up to advertise a manufacturer. I give Zach enough grief as a distributor doing podcasts already. It’s unfortunate he got pulled into that whole stupid idea. Hopefully C2C will be back one day.

#628 4 years ago

Here's a direct link to the Slap Save post, or at least I think so. Facebook makes it hard to know what the heck you're actually linking to:
    https://www.facebook.com/slapsavepinball/posts/2472867206147037?__tn__=K-R

Jason always seemed so chill, well-spoken, thoughtful & rational (at least in my limited exposure) that I'm surprised to hear him talk about a temper, punching, etc. I've listened to zero TPN so far and haven't dug into any drama, so most of his vaguebooking is lost on me. But I have a guess as to who it's mostly about.

#629 4 years ago

Jason and Slap Save gone? Looks like the FB link is no longer. What was the gist of why?

#630 4 years ago

Here you go @iceman44

“ Tough post.

Slap Save has... come to an end. I (this is Jason) wanted to try to explain my motivations with ending the podcast, stepping away from TPN, and my feelings I have experienced over the past month or more. It was my intention to quietly walk away, but it seems that my silence is only fueling speculation and causing people to wonder and cause more issues, so I will address that here. Matt is free to disclose his thoughts, but these words are my own.

I grew tired of the drama, the trolls, the spite and insecurity of some. My “investment” in the hobby was no longer providing a return. Not financially, but emotionally. That’s it.

I am friends with, and respect Zach, Ken, Dennis, and the laundry list of all of the people involved with pinball who sincerely want to celebrate the hobby, entertain and inform while doing it. Everyone at TPN is doing just that. I left TPN, not because those friendships are dissolved, but the opposite. They are as strong as ever, and I want them to stay that way. My repressed, volatile temper of the past, and history of staying calm till I snap, and snap big, created a situation where I could have jeopardized everything with one tirade that bared all the truth and bottled up frustrations of the past few months on some very cowardly, manipulative targets. My “eye started twitching,” and I knew, it was time. For my own health, sanity and the benefit of some of my best friends, I have stepped away from the hobby.

I am a big believer in Karma. You reap what you sow. There have been some seeds planted by some despicable mother&$@#^$# in this hobby that I can’t not wait to germinate and see the fruits of their “labor”. I will quietly be smiling and cheering from the side when that happens.

If a show isn’t your style, find another. If you want to just stand on some shitty card table chair on pinside and scream how you don’t listen to podcasts, and we are just after attention, that's your prerogative. The irony is not lost on most of us though that when you stand on that chair, on that forum, screaming, it is just a low rent version of the same thing. You are broadcasting an opinion, but your time spent around too much coil dust prevents your 10 IQ threshold from recognizing that. That is called hypocrisy. You are called a fu#^&ing dipshit. I used to punch drywall and smug faces. Now I just dispense literary justice. My therapist would be proud.

Has it been easy backing off? Hell no. I really consider this little endeavor we started to be a family. If you are reading this, chances are you are part of that family. I enjoy the side conversations I have with all of you who take the time to reach out, and just knowing we created something that some of you claimed to enjoy, made all the headaches, anxiety, stress and time...so worth it. I have sold most of my collection. It is my way of simplifying and removing myself from a hobby that has left a bad taste in my mouth recently. I hope by getting back to just playing pinball, removing the white noise, and enjoying the people who are good like yourselves, that spark will return.

I want to thank Zach Meny and Ken Cromwel and Jeff Patterson for their early support and encouragement when I had no idea how to even run a podcast. Chris Hoeper, a friend (again, thankfully) who I owe for not only the name, but the desire to keep things fun and for going through the early headaches, re-records and friction. Matt Koenen who, is not only one of my best friends, but has put up with my idiosyncrasies and always told me when an idea was bad, and made me laugh while doing it. Dennis Kriesel, a friend I consider to be a savant when it comes to his knowledge of pinball with an incredible ability to communicate it through both pen and podcast. Christopher Franchi, a guy I am proud to call a friend, my favorite artist and someone who has supported me from early on. Dwight Sullivan, who personifies pinball and showed it with all his support and help. All the industry people who agreed to interviews and gave our show credibility beyond what it ever deserved. ALL the long time friends and supporters of the show Sammy, Joe Fox, Marc, Duke, Rawdon, Krystle, Marlon, Chris “the pintern”, Mike, Jay, Joe, David, Brian, Brad… the list could go on forever. Most of all, I want to thank all of you who took the time to listen. Our listener numbers continued to shock me every week and it will always be something I am very proud of. Without each and every one of you, we would have been rambling on about this ridiculous subject to a digital version of an empty theater. I am a little emotional as I write this, and that is just knowing that I am closing the book of a story that I really enjoyed, even if the end was a little disappointing. I would still read it again… or at least grab the audio tape.

Be kind to one another. Play pinball and make friends, not enemies, doing it. Life’s too short. Is it worth destroying your perceived “competitors” to reside on the top of this tiny little hill that some of us have convinced ourselves is a mountain? Not for me. I’d rather go play pinball.”

#631 4 years ago
    Quoted from ausretrogamer:

Here you go iceman44
    “ Tough post.
    Slap Save has... come to an end. I (this is Jason) wanted to try to explain my motivations with ending the podcast, stepping away from TPN, and my feelings I have experienced over the past month or more. It was my intention to quietly walk away, but it seems that my silence is only fueling speculation and causing people to wonder and cause more issues, so I will address that here. Matt is free to disclose his thoughts, but these words are my own.
    I grew tired of the drama, the trolls, the spite and insecurity of some. My “investment” in the hobby was no longer providing a return. Not financially, but emotionally. That’s it.
    I am friends with, and respect Zach, Ken, Dennis, and the laundry list of all of the people involved with pinball who sincerely want to celebrate the hobby, entertain and inform while doing it. Everyone at TPN is doing just that. I left TPN, not because those friendships are dissolved, but the opposite. They are as strong as ever, and I want them to stay that way. My repressed, volatile temper of the past, and history of staying calm till I snap, and snap big, created a situation where I could have jeopardized everything with one tirade that bared all the truth and bottled up frustrations of the past few months on some very cowardly, manipulative targets. My “eye started twitching,” and I knew, it was time. For my own health, sanity and the benefit of some of my best friends, I have stepped away from the hobby.
    I am a big believer in Karma. You reap what you sow. There have been some seeds planted by some despicable mother&$@#^$# in this hobby that I can’t not wait to germinate and see the fruits of their “labor”. I will quietly be smiling and cheering from the side when that happens.
    If a show isn’t your style, find another. If you want to just stand on some shitty card table chair on pinside and scream how you don’t listen to podcasts, and we are just after attention, that's your prerogative. The irony is not lost on most of us though that when you stand on that chair, on that forum, screaming, it is just a low rent version of the same thing. You are broadcasting an opinion, but your time spent around too much coil dust prevents your 10 IQ threshold from recognizing that. That is called hypocrisy. You are called a fu#^&ing dipshit. I used to punch drywall and smug faces. Now I just dispense literary justice. My therapist would be proud.
    Has it been easy backing off? Hell no. I really consider this little endeavor we started to be a family. If you are reading this, chances are you are part of that family. I enjoy the side conversations I have with all of you who take the time to reach out, and just knowing we created something that some of you claimed to enjoy, made all the headaches, anxiety, stress and time...so worth it. I have sold most of my collection. It is my way of simplifying and removing myself from a hobby that has left a bad taste in my mouth recently. I hope by getting back to just playing pinball, removing the white noise, and enjoying the people who are good like yourselves, that spark will return.
    I want to thank Zach Meny and Ken Cromwel and Jeff Patterson for their early support and encouragement when I had no idea how to even run a podcast. Chris Hoeper, a friend (again, thankfully) who I owe for not only the name, but the desire to keep things fun and for going through the early headaches, re-records and friction. Matt Koenen who, is not only one of my best friends, but has put up with my idiosyncrasies and always told me when an idea was bad, and made me laugh while doing it. Dennis Kriesel, a friend I consider to be a savant when it comes to his knowledge of pinball with an incredible ability to communicate it through both pen and podcast. Christopher Franchi, a guy I am proud to call a friend, my favorite artist and someone who has supported me from early on. Dwight Sullivan, who personifies pinball and showed it with all his support and help. All the industry people who agreed to interviews and gave our show credibility beyond what it ever deserved. ALL the long time friends and supporters of the show Sammy, Joe Fox, Marc, Duke, Rawdon, Krystle, Marlon, Chris “the pintern”, Mike, Jay, Joe, David, Brian, Brad… the list could go on forever. Most of all, I want to thank all of you who took the time to listen. Our listener numbers continued to shock me every week and it will always be something I am very proud of. Without each and every one of you, we would have been rambling on about this ridiculous subject to a digital version of an empty theater. I am a little emotional as I write this, and that is just knowing that I am closing the book of a story that I really enjoyed, even if the end was a little disappointing. I would still read it again… or at least grab the audio tape.
    Be kind to one another. Play pinball and make friends, not enemies, doing it. Life’s too short. Is it worth destroying your perceived “competitors” to reside on the top of this tiny little hill that some of us have convinced ourselves is a mountain? Not for me. I’d rather go play pinball.”

Well said... thank you for all you gave done. Play on silverball brother!

#632 4 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Here's a direct link to the Slap Save post, or at least I think so. Facebook makes it hard to know what the heck you're actually linking to:
    https://www.facebook.com/slapsavepinball/posts/2472867206147037?__tn__=K-R
    Jason always seemed so chill, well-spoken, thoughtful & rational (at least in my limited exposure) that I'm surprised to hear him talk about a temper, punching, etc. I've listened to zero TPN so far and haven't dug into any drama, so most of his vaguebooking is lost on me. But I have a guess as to who it's mostly about.

Greg Bone also alluded to "backdoor moves going on in the community" as one reason why he's stepping away.

#633 4 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Greg Bone also alluded to "backdoor moves going on in the community" as one reason why he's stepping away.

WTF does that even mean?

#634 4 years ago

Dang Jason, happy to see you are just getting back to playing pinball and having fun.

So right, life is too short, and hope to meet up one day at a show and the beers are on me!

I also want to acknowledge you guys again and remind people of the great charity work you did for the children’s hospital.

Focus on the positive brother! There’s a lot to love about the hobby. “Don’t let the bastards wear you down”

#635 4 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Quoted from Rarehero:

WTF does that even mean?

Actually it was

Quoted from Hollywoodbone:

back door moves going on in this community to smear and ruin someone’s personal life over a fucking hobby...

Which sounds like some IRL shit which would be super duper lame, and has happened before.

#636 4 years ago

Here you go iceman44
    “ Tough post.

What a complete psychopath. Good riddance

#637 4 years ago

Here you go iceman44
    “ Tough post.

F4C66878-EC17-49BF-9CA7-896C0D49A57D (resized).jpegF4C66878-EC17-49BF-9CA7-896C0D49A57D (resized).jpeg
    #638 4 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

is that like anal sex?

#639 4 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

is that like anal sex?

Consult the magic 8 ball on that one!

Err, am I the only one that feels these podcasters might be taking themselves just a wee bit too seriously???

#640 4 years ago
    Quoted from wesman:

Consult the magic 8 ball on that one!
    Err, am I the only one that feels these podcasters might be taking themselves just a wee bit too seriously???

Nope!

#641 4 years ago
    160px-Cat_and_lion_in_mirror_illustration.svg (resized).png160px-Cat_and_lion_in_mirror_illustration.svg (resized).png
    1 week later
    #642 4 years ago

"Is it worth destroying your perceived “competitors” to reside on the top of this tiny little hill that some of us have convinced ourselves is a mountain?"

That is clearly directed toward Jack Danger. Add that to repeated vague (but easily decipherable) statements made by Zach on podcasts since as well as Greg Bone's thinly veiled references - its clear all of this is pointed back at Jack Danger. At least that's the clear opinion of TPN. Jack didn't burn the house down but he lit the match. That's the message from all of these people. And if that is NOT their message, they may want to try a different approach to some of these vague references.

This whole thing has just gotten so sad. Not in a sarcastic sense...just truly sad. 6 months ago the "scene" was so much more happy and felt more collaborative and fun with lots of friendly/funny tongue-in-cheek type stuff. Now several good folks have left the hobby with a terrible taste in their mouths - some even making threats and references to anger management issues, most of the best podcasts are gone, TWIPY's will be a shadow of themselves last year without Zach and Greg, lots of wounds have been opened or reopened on some of the more sensitive topics (inclusion, women in pinball, etc) and it all just feels sad. And sadly, now it all feels forced.

Hopefully time heals this stuff. I am/was a fan of all of the podcasts and "personalities" involved in this whole debacle, I wish I could feel some sense of hope here. Again, time will tell...

#644 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dkjimbo:

TWIPY's will be a shadow of themselves last year without Zach and Greg

They did a fine job, but everyone's replaceable. I think it's good to mix up hosts occasionally to prevent any show from getting stale. There's only so much Billy Crystal you can take.

#645 4 years ago

Twippy 2020 hosts are Cary Hardy and Imoto Arcade!

#646 4 years ago

Cary Hardy was a good choice!

#647 4 years ago
    Quoted from pipes:

Cary Hardy was a good choice!

I like Carry Hardy , not familiar with Emoto . First people to come to mind , for me would be Christopher Franchi and Ben Heck , I think they would tear it up .

There are 647 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-s-with-all-the-podcasts-ending/page/13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.