Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 647 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by screaminr
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Why are so many podcasts pulling the plug?”

• Oversaturation in the pinball podcasting market/ burnout. 204 votes
      66%
    • Something special coming up...stay tuned. 83 votes
      27%
    • Fishing for TWIPY votes. 20 votes
      7%

(307 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

160px-Cat_and_lion_in_mirror_illustration.svg (resized).png
    F4C66878-EC17-49BF-9CA7-896C0D49A57D (resized).jpeg
    3BC6163E-19AB-4777-A1BC-E5A69AF813CE (resized).jpeg
    6F0418D1-FD14-4727-A167-7DCA0AF4B25F (resized).jpeg
    0B129A03-C0EB-4146-BFC9-64667D904F71 (resized).jpeg
    3BA02CA9-47FE-4E08-AD68-CF0EC882C693 (resized).jpeg
    98FFFCD6-89F9-49DF-B225-E4AE72387BDE (resized).jpeg
    EA906A48-EF57-4FC0-9A0D-29E83C9A9F7C (resized).jpeg
    3BE58DFF-E859-43DF-8039-A29A66AD63AE (resized).jpeg
    B33C874E-67AF-40AC-95B3-651A351C1E3A (resized).jpeg
    18086-harvey-keitel (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200128_004804 (resized).jpg
    Al-Pacino-LaughSmoking.gif
    zero.point.zero.gif
    crash-and-burn1.gif
    DD831BDC-3A64-4C68-A7F0-0A7ACB3243D2.jpeg

There are 647 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 13.
    #1 4 years ago

Head 2 Head, Pinball Supernova, This Week in Pinball & Special When Lit all calling it quits.

What gives?

#2 4 years ago

There’s got to be some sort of joint channel in the works.

#3 4 years ago

TONS of work, but yet the donkey wins the 1 recognition award each year because he is a controversial dbag.

Zero actual pinball knowledge, history, tech advice, or anything of real value, but the Jerry Springer show wins...
    I can imagine it is easy to get burnt out on such passion projects and only normal to question why invest so much time and energy with no praise from the community.

#4 4 years ago

Maybe they all got together and decided to join forces and make one huge, super duper, podcast ?

Massive interviews. Huge prizes. Drinks. Babes ( hot guys for the ladies ). Oh yeah, exciting industry news, game reviews. Intimate personal things about famous industry people you thought you knew. Who knows what is all planned.

LTG : )

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

TONS of work, but yet the donkey wins the 1 recognition award each year because he is a controversial dbag.
    Zero actual pinball knowledge, history, tech advice, or anything of real value, but the Jerry Springer show wins...
    I can imagine it is easy to get burnt out on such passion projects and only normal to question why invest so much time and energy with no praise from the community.

Pinball Supernova kind of hinted at this and if you look at his numbers, he's getting 10% of the viewership he once had.

The others seemed like they were more established though.

#6 4 years ago
    macho-man-champion-2017-05-11.jpg (resized).pngmacho-man-champion-2017-05-11.jpg (resized).png
    #7 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Sooo, all that voted for him are d bags?

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from skink91:

There’s got to be some sort of joint channel in the works.

Could be....the timing in which they all stopped is a bit of a coincidence.

#9 4 years ago

Heard they got million dollar deals to quit podcasting and do some real work at deeproot They will be sorely missed.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

And in related news... Viewers don't watch the Dating Game for Dating advice.

#11 4 years ago

I didn't hear they were all calling it quits but it would be better if they kind of got together and agreed to guest host or split duties, making a group of podcasts to share the work. Like skink91 said - a joint channel. There is not enough material to go around and like the comments from Pinball Supernova things have changed a little bit of the fun of it all is going away.

Lots of negativity lot of pettiness. I cannot imagine putting in the time for some regular schedule of podcasts for free and work a full time job maybe with a family. Where would the time come from?

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Sooo, all that voted for him are d bags?

that is not what I said.

Reality is that he is a giant dbag (silver spoon, womanizer, napolean complex that assaults and harasses some good people in pinball), but people find that entertaining (like Jerry springer is) so they vote for it.

Completely understandable how others could get burnt out when they get so little recognition and Jerry does.

Quoted from LTG:

Maybe they all got together and decided to join forces and make one huge, super duper, podcast ?
    Massive interviews. Huge prizes. Drinks. Babes ( hot guys for the ladies ). Oh yeah, exciting industry news, game reviews. Intimate personal things about famous industry people you thought you knew. Who knows what is all planned.

Now that would be a great idea! More and better concentrated content. Less individual effort.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Completely understandable how others could get burnt out when they get so little recognition and Jerry does.

People should focus on creating and bettering their own content vs worrying about Kaneda. For all of his many foibles, his show is entertaining, has a point of view, has good production values, and not even joking a little, is short. This is why people listen to him.

#14 4 years ago

You say womanizer like that’s a bad thing....

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from fumbleflippers:

You say womanizer like that’s a bad thing....

Right?

#16 4 years ago

I think Special When Lit and Zach quit when their Twitch streams started getting viewers, interactivity in chat, live tip jar, and they realized it's more fun to play pinball than just talk about it. The SWL and FnO streams are staying and they are citing time issues. Sounds like they are simply prioritizing fun to me.

Hopefully we'll get more SDTM episodes as Zach has freed up time. They were getting too sparse.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

but yet the donkey wins the 1 recognition award each year because he is a controversial dbag.

how about really letting us know how you feel about him?

#20 4 years ago

I bet Disney bought them all out.

#21 4 years ago

At some point you run out of shit to talk about and people to interview. The most useful podcast archive ever, TOPcast, made about 60 episodes and figured this out 10 years ago, and hung it up as there was really nothing left to do.

People can talk about “power posting” on pinside all you want but making 20 posts a day takes about 5 minutes. How people can do hours of podcast a week, or hundreds a year is completely mind boggling to me. There’s people out there who are pushing 500 pinball podcasts for god’s sake. That’s an exhausting amount of work and time.

I think people probably just get tired of it like you can get tired of anything. The good news is there’s still plenty of this stuff to choose from for people so inclined, I think we’ve got a long way to go until the pinball podcast is an endangered species.

Also, maybe everybody is just afraid of being pummeled by Macho.

#22 4 years ago

I think the podcasters realized that about 90% of their content is the same. How many times can you hear someone discussing a news story before it gets old and repetitive?

I was surprised when I saw TWIP put up a last episode today but the idea of a big pinball podcast with several of the podcasts going forces makes a lot of sense.

#23 4 years ago

There is only one pinball podcast that matters and that podcast is not for sale!

Kaneda Army!

#24 4 years ago

The podcast universe is also consolidating - I think people are realizing it's damn hard to make money when you don't control the distribution. YouTube has additionally recently changed its monetization rules, and is screwing content providers over hard. Perhaps this is related.

#25 4 years ago

From what I've heard it is a LOT of work to make a decent podcast. Coming up with topics every week gets very difficult as well. It is a lot of effort and takes serious dedication.

#27 4 years ago

Pinball ‘media’ circlejerk, cumming Feb 2020!

#29 4 years ago

I’m just praying this isn’t a Stern sponsored venture or some other form of controlled media.

#30 4 years ago

So you need to be entertaining as well as informative. You also must have a point of view that people can either disagree or agree with. Otherwise your show becomes stale and boring for both the listeners and the people who do the podcast. It seems like there are a lot of boring podcasts that just needed to go away, recycle shall we say so other things maybe better can take their place. Until then we have the guy who's name that you can't say....the guy with the #1 podcast....two time Twippy award winner.......the sometimes over the top......sometimes informative but always entertaining. K.....a! If he was really that bad he wouldn't have won the Twippy the last two times. Everyone just needs to chill.

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

At some point you run out of shit to talk about and people to interview. The most useful podcast archive ever, TOPcast, made about 60 episodes and figured this out 10 years ago, and hung it up as there was really nothing left to do.
    People can talk about “power posting” on pinside all you want but making 20 posts a day takes about 5 minutes. How people can do hours of podcast a week, or hundreds a year is completely mind boggling to me. There’s people out there who are pushing 500 pinball podcasts for god’s sake. That’s an exhausting amount of work and time.
    I think people probably just get tired of it like you can get tired of anything. The good news is there’s still plenty of this stuff to choose from for people so inclined, I think we’ve got a long way to go until the pinball podcast is an endangered species.

You could easily get by with doing one per month or two or when a pinball machine actually drops or a show like TPF or Chicago

I respect and appreciate the efforts of these guys a ton!

Most of these guys have kids and work

Maybe these guys are gonna band together and do more live streaming of pinball and interaction like Monday nights with Zach and the Special when lit stream. Really enjoy that

Jeff deserves HUGE props for Twip

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinballRockDude:

...Until then we have the guy who's name that you can't say....

Here - let me help you:

KANEDA

KANEDA

KANEDA

Like swearing on TV, no longer a taboo on Pinside.

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

TopCast by far the best !

#34 4 years ago

Haha, if you can’t beat him you either quit or “join forces”. Zach and co with the towel toss.

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Here - let me help you:
    KANEDA
    KANEDA
    KANEDA
    Like swearing on TV, no longer a taboo on Pinside.

Yes Kaneda! That's the guy. It feels so good to let loose Kaneda, Kaneda, Kaneda.

#36 4 years ago

SDTM has some excellent video segments, wonder if Zach's and Greg's fingerprints were on that promo?

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinballRockDude:... It feels so good to let loose Kaneda, Kaneda, Kaneda.

Yep - so liberating!

Like playing pinball naked.

#38 4 years ago

I heard about it, it's actually Kaneda and Whysnow out of a bunker in Nevada

#39 4 years ago

Read the PinballSupernova posting - man, that made me feel bad. That site took TONS of work and had a lot of awesome content. but the clicks just weren't coming (translation: the $$ wasn't coming, which is not a surprise. YOu only make pennies on such hard-worked content)

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Read the PinballSupernova posting - man, that made me feel bad. That site took TONS of work and had a lot of awesome content. but the clicks just weren't coming (translation: the $$ wasn't coming, which is not a surprise. YOu only make pennies on such hard-worked content)

I just checked out the website. Lots of awesome content. Sadly, had never heard of it until your posting, which I think is emblematic of the problem that he described. I know the person sounded pretty negative about the hobby right now and hope that he can get to a spot of closure, regardless of what that is.

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

I just checked out the website. Lots of awesome content. Sadly, had never heard of it until your posting, which I think is emblematic of the problem that he described. I know the person sounded pretty negative about the hobby right now and hope that he can get to a spot of closure, regardless of what that is.

Yep. Hopefully he keeps the site up for a while too. Sounds like he's totally getting out ,which is.. yeow.

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

It's funny because this post makes YOU come across as the dbag!

#43 4 years ago

Too many talking heads, too little original source material.

#44 4 years ago

It's a lot of work, and it's about that time of the year where many people evaluate priorities and how they spend their time & energy.

#45 4 years ago

They might be changing the platform in which they deliver content but does anybody believe Mr. Meny is going away? He reminds me of a WWE character, entertaining and always promoting. Trying something fresh is welcomed, as long as it’s not Pinball Cribs . Best of luck boys, i will be looking forward to what’s coming next.

#46 4 years ago

Out of anyone that I can think of right now, I would love to see you doing a Podcast. No bullshit, Levi.

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinballRockDude:

It feels so good to let loose Kaneda, Kaneda, Kaneda.

It feels even better when you say it while doing your Macho Man impersonation. ...OOOOH YEAH BROTHER!

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Read the PinballSupernova posting - man, that made me feel bad.

I read his blog post. Sure sounded like he burned out.

A shame. And an unfortunate reality of the pinball world.

Over my last 24 years of the on line pinball experience. I've seen many people come and go. Too often they start with such fervor and excitement that they go from playing pinball. To owning pinball machines. To starting websites, blogs, forums, mods, becoming dealers or distributors, operators, attending shows, displaying at shows, etc. etc. And too often it becomes an uncontrollable master demanding more and more time from what is really important.

And many times their efforts don't attract the attention or the glory they hoped for. And we will never know why. Pinball Country started a couple times, very similar to Pinside. Yet died a slow death while Pinside took off. Why ?

If you are going to do something. Keep it paced with your enjoyment. Keep it paced with your expectations. Enjoy the doing.

And don't cry over spilled milk. Just because what you do, doesn't attract the accolades of the masses. doesn't mean you failed. You did it to try and make pinball a little bit better. And that's a good thing.

#49 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

OHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHH!!!

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I read his blog post. Sure sounded like he burned out.
    A shame. And an unfortunate reality of the pinball world.
    Over my last 24 years of the on line pinball experience. I've seen many people come and go. Too often they start with such fervor and excitement that they go from playing pinball. To owning pinball machines. To starting websites, blogs, forums, mods, becoming dealers or distributors, operators, attending shows, displaying at shows, etc. etc. And too often it becomes an uncontrollable master demanding more and more time from what is really important.
    And many times their efforts don't attract the attention or the glory they hoped for. And we will never know why. Pinball Country started a couple times, very similar to Pinside. Yet died a slow death while Pinside took off. Why ?
    If you are going to do something. Keep it paced with your enjoyment. Keep it paced with your expectations. Enjoy the doing.
    And don't cry over spilled milk. Just because what you do, doesn't attract the accolades of the masses. doesn't mean you failed. You did it to try and make pinball a little bit better. And that's a good thing.

Lloyd,

As a new pinball enthusiast (online) over 10 years ago on RGP, I was the same way. The passion and emotion in this hobby was lofted high. But you were always baseline. You were the sanity and logic that chimed in so many times while everyone else went bat sh*t crazy.

I learned quickly to appreciate your responses and your opinion. As I sit here tonight, reading your wisdom, I know I was right.

You are a good man and many of us appreciate you for rising above the chatter and chaos.

Thank you for staying in this crazy hobby when so many come and go. Pinside needs you like a boat needs an anchor.

Joel

H.I.O.P.

There are 647 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 13.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-s-with-all-the-podcasts-ending and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.