(Topic ID: 326200)

What's the story behind Jersey Jack Pinball?

By SantaEatsCheese

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you want to know too?”

• Yes 9 votes
      30%
    • No, I already no. 7 votes
      23%
    • No, I don't care. 14 votes
      47%

(30 votes)

#1 1 year ago

You guys have been around longer than me. What's the story behind Jersey Jack?

I heard something about being a distributor, then coming from left field and building WOZ, making Stern step it up, then something about an Angel investor coming in after they almost went out of business for... reasons. I know they recently moved from Jersey to Chicago. Does someone know the story and/or can someone point me to another post or podcast that spells this out?

Just nerding out here.

#2 1 year ago

From what I understand Stern shorted Jack on LOTR LEs when he was a distributor, so he decided to compete with Stern.

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

...What's the story behind Jersey Jack?
    I heard something about being a distributor, then coming from left field and building WOZ, making Stern step it up...

He was a distro, then he started his own company, cartwheels, leading to the never ending price increase in the hobby, investor came and introduced tiered pricing.

#4 1 year ago

He started as a Stern distributor, yadda yadda yadda, playfield pooling is your fault.

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from metallik:

From what I understand Stern shorted Jack on LOTR LEs when he was a distributor, so he decided to compete with Stern.

Jack is the reason there are LOTR LE's. Stern only made one model of every game at that time. After the production run was over, Jack's customers kept clamoring for more, but he had none to sell them. Jack convinced Stern to produce a limited run of special editions, a few years after the production had ended.

He decided to compete with stern for 2 reasons.. As a ditributor, he and his customers were unhappy with the products being offered, as well as his allotments. And secondly, to make himself tons of money.

#6 1 year ago

If I may please.

Stern had to seek revenue to keep doors open. The investment came with over site from investor group concerned with ROI . Strictly interested in security of that investment.

Sterns offerings had been continuously stripped of toys. Every step in the manufacturing had been thru cost reductions to point games produced had limited consideration as to actually being fun to play.

I do not know Jack or his company personally.

What appears to transpired my observations from Pinside discussion threads. Jack provided some seed money towards LOTR LE. He secured order for X# of games. Games manufactured. He was shorted somehow in the transaction. Discontent with Stern over this is what started JJP.

I will hijack thread for notable quote.

Launch JJP forced Stern to improve. Nature of competition is to morph into something sustainable for the times. Game play improvement resulted. From my standpoint a very good thing.

Enjoy your day Shane

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from bepositive:

Sterns offerings had been continuously stripped of toys. Every step in the manufacturing had been thru cost reductions to point games produced had limited consideration as to actually being fun to play.

Yep it was a dark time of hated games like Iron man, Tron, ACDC, Star Trek, & Metallica

Luckily WOZ brought all "the fun game play" back!

#8 1 year ago

Dialed In and Wonka are AMAZING IMO.

I think JJP makes some great stuff and I am glad they exist.

Excited for High Speed III to come out in a couple years! (After Billy Joel of course)

#9 1 year ago

You could watch this:

The main chronology starts at 4:11 and goes about 15 minutes.
    .................David Marston

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Yep it was a dark time of hated games like Iron man, Tron, ACDC, Star Trek, & Metallica

Luckily WOZ brought all "the fun game play" back!

I'll give you Tron and Iron Man, even tho IM was not a successful game at the time, but AC/DC, Star Trek and Metallica? Those were after JJP was formed and, imo, were a direct result of the emerging competition. Stern had some other special games before that like LotR, TSPP and SM, but most of their games were pretty simple mechanically and had very similar rules and animations. The 'artwork' was also just clip art photos and the printing quality was like newspaper. Metallica was the first game in a very long time with hand drawn artwork.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from Betelgeuse:

...but AC/DC, Star Trek and Metallica? Those were after JJP was formed and, imo, were a direct result of the emerging competition...

Probably fair. I was wondering how much we knewm back then & how much it affected Stern.

Quoted from Betelgeuse:

The 'artwork' was also just clip art photos and the printing quality was like newspaper. Metallica was the first game in a very long time with hand drawn artwork.

Well WOZ is basically clip art so I don't think we can give JJP credit for that. But jesus no doubt aboot that dot matrix printing job; shockingly bad.

#12 1 year ago

I'm happy and thankful that Jack started JJP. They really raised the bar with their first 5 games and pushed the industry forward

Then came the age of finance control, a move I think Jack didn't want to get into. Hopefully the sales of GnR and TS4 will show investors that JJP clients are in to buy loaded games and get back to that trend of making every game an above and beyond everything we've seen.

#13 1 year ago

I honestly worry about JJP after Toy Story 4. I don't like the game, but for their sake, I hope it sells well. It just seems like a machine that has a confused identity:

Toy Story... but no toys
    Easy shooting layout... but convoluted code
    Family oriented theme... but damn expensive
    Toy Story.... but only the 4th movie
    Jersey Jack... but located in Illinois

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from KingVidiot:

I honestly worry about JJP after Toy Story 4....

They were done for me with GNR tier system; Strayed too far from the original point of JJP.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-s-the-story-behind-jersey-jack-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.