Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Bublehead
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230223_123823 (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

I'm just overhauling a 65 GTBSkyline and from dismantling the Elevator door coil to fit a new sleeve, I noticed this hole in one of the solenoid coil operating rods. Any idea as to what it's there for? Never seen this before!

20230223_123823 (resized).jpg20230223_123823 (resized).jpg
    #2 1 year ago

On some older games that'd have hollow plungers with a spring inside them. Haven't seen it on a game this new though...

#3 1 year ago

Nvm I misunderstood the question

#4 1 year ago

A machinist produced a part for me once and drilled out material to get the weight right. Possibility? Is it very long?

#5 1 year ago

Does the hole go all the way through?
    Could be to let air pass through so they can meet in the middle.

Or maybe something to do with the magnetic field so they don’t repel when they meet?

#6 1 year ago

They aren’t that tight in there. I have two of these games and haven’t bothered to look. As long as they work….

#7 1 year ago

Yeah, I would think it's probably to make it lighter to operate properly?

#8 1 year ago

I checked Cross Town and it has two solid plungers. Bally (maybe others?) used plungers with internal compression springs in the 30s and 40s but I haven't seen them in more modern games as zacaj said above. For an example of an internal spring see https://www.funwithpinball.com/resources/1939-Bally-Champion, in the Steppers section about 2/3 of the way down the page.

/Mark

#9 1 year ago

I am working on an early Gottlieb machine where on the timing mechanism a push rod houses a rod extension in that cavity to provide extended reach to deploy the damper.

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from brenna98:

Does the hole go all the way through?
    Could be to let air pass through so they can meet in the middle.
    Or maybe something to do with the magnetic field so they don’t repel when they meet?

I didnt take the rod out to check but it seems to go down a good inch or so and looks to be factory fitted. Could be that it was designed to take a small spring to stop the pair from hitting each other or something when the coil energises? Odd one though.

#11 1 year ago

I think there is a spring supposed to be in there to limit the shock to the doors when the plungers meet and the doors reach full open. The aluminum doors are very brittle and fail by shattering due to hitting each other when they close, this may be a shock limiting attempt when they reach full open, or slows them a tad as they reach full open to mimic an elevator door motion. Not sure if my Subway has this or not. Haven’t had to dick with it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-s-the-purpose-of-this- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.