Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by clempo
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider clempo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

What's the name of that shot between 27:28 and 27:30 in that video?
    It is not a dead bounce since the flipper is raised.
    It is not a tip pass since the flipper is steady.
    A tip bounce maybe?

I'm asking because I find that shot useful in my play but I have never seen it in lists of pinball skills.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

You mean where it's coming to the right down the middle and he pushes it over to the right flipper with the raised left tip?

Yes.

Quoted from SilverballSleuth:

I’d just call that a brilliant center save. Seemed like a bit of a slap save too maybe?

I don't think he did a slap save. In any case you don't need to nudge the machine to make this shot work.

Quoted from SeaLawyer:

I’d still call it a dead bounce since it’s using no power from the machine (only gravity) to make the pass. I don’t think the flipper being up or down matters for that. It’s certainly the less common variant.

You have a unique definition of dead bounce. Most people describe a dead bounce by not doing anything. I always thought it meant the flipper is dead hence it cannot be raised.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I always thought of this as an alternative type of dead bounce too. I do this ALL the time, especially when the ball is coming down kind of fast, this helps to slow it down so it doesn’t rocket out of the opposite inlane and drain.

I think it works better if the ball is slow like in the video. That gives you the time to judge whether the ball will hit the tip off center and bounce to the other flipper which is the point of this shot.

The shot in the video needs better recognition since it is very useful. It would help if it had a name of its own.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from fumbleflippers:

It’s a tip pass

It looks like some people agree with you. Too bad we don't see the video title once embedded on pinside.

This is what I learned is a tip pass. I liked the name because it is similar to a tap pass.

Dead flip tutorial calls that a flick pass, leaving the name "tip pass" free.
    The nudge pass animation looks very similar to the shot I'm talking about, but it requires a nudge, so it's not the same shot. The best angle for the ball is also different.
    http://www.deadflip.com/tutorials

I wish I could convince Dead Flip to add an animation for tip pass.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from maffewl:

It's a version of a dead bounce. May not have an official name, but that is its closest cousin.

Many people agree with you, but if we say it's just a dead bounce, it never gets mentioned in pinball tutorials. Whatever the name is, I think it would help beginner players if they learned the two skills separately.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider clempo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-s-the-name-of-that-shot?tu=clempo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.