(Topic ID: 235319)

What's the easist way one person can re-level legs on a pinball table?

By JediPimp

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Don_C
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What's the easist way one person can re-level legs on a pinball table?”

• Am I just being a wuss? 9 votes
    56%
  • Is there a better way than having one person lift the leg and another person spin the screws? 1 vote
    6%
  • Pinball is easy 6 votes
    38%

(16 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190203_231345 (resized).jpg
ICpt7AFVzC0-370x208 (resized).jpg
5CE37A2A-301B-43E1-A57B-DE011B391263 (resized).jpeg
#1 5 years ago

Hi Pinside,

My Judge Dredd, after having moved houses, is now mysteriously off level on one side. Mainly, the left end needs to be raised. I am using the PinGuy app on iOS to determine the levelling.

Now Dredd is a widebody and is heavy as hell. How the bloody hell do you people adjust the legs without breaking your back? I don't really have anyone in the home at the moment who can help me lift the leg and I don't want to call a serviceman just for this.

Any ideas?

#2 5 years ago

May not be the best way but I have always simply done the hands and knees crawl under the machine. Hunch with back and make adjustment lol. Rinse and repeat till Pinguy (gal) says you are green to go. Many use a stool, cart or other prop but in a pinch its on your knees time!

#3 5 years ago

Yep - the “one armed cat stretch” under the machine and spin the leg leveler with my free hand.

5CE37A2A-301B-43E1-A57B-DE011B391263 (resized).jpeg5CE37A2A-301B-43E1-A57B-DE011B391263 (resized).jpeg
#4 5 years ago

I use the leg levelers that have a nut that you can turn with a wrench. No reason to lift anything, just turn the wrench.

#5 5 years ago

Wrench for the win

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

I use the leg levelers that have a nut that you can turn with a wrench. No reason to lift anything, just turn the wrench.

oooh I have to see if I have those, can you provide a photo?

#7 5 years ago

http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/level/

The heavy duty type shown in the link.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from JediPimp:

oooh I have to see if I have those, can you provide a photo?

Putting a double set of nuts on the end of the shaft (jamb nuts) works the same way.

#9 5 years ago

Thanks pintechev!

#10 5 years ago

I am 5-9" what I have done for years is crawl under the game on all fours squarely under the game my head towards the leg or end that needs adjusting. I then go from a crouching position to fully lifting the game by straightening out my arms and legs, then that end of the game lifts up and can be slightly moved, realigned and leveled by spinning the levelers. Also there is a nut below the leg if this nut is spun all the way down , with a open end wrench you can adjust / spin in one direction I forgot if it's up or down. You don't have to be lifting the game. Well that's how I do it.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

May not be the best way but I have always simply done the hands and knees crawl under the machine. Hunch with back and make adjustment lol. Rinse and repeat till Pinguy (gal) says you are green to go. Many use a stool, cart or other prop but in a pinch its on your knees time!

This/=.

#12 5 years ago

You could get a hydraulic lift from harbor freight tools. It makes moving and lifting pins FAR easier.

P.S. I voted you are a wuss, lol

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

Yep - the “one armed cat stretch” under the machine and spin the leg leveler with my free hand.
[quoted image]

yup, pretty easy this way.

#14 5 years ago

Get on your knees, lift the pin with left hand spin the leveller with right hand
Thats how my girlfriend does it

ICpt7AFVzC0-370x208 (resized).jpgICpt7AFVzC0-370x208 (resized).jpg
#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Putting a double set of nuts on the end of the shaft (jamb nuts) works the same way.

I've done this to all of my machines. It's super cheap, and works like a champ. You don't need washers, but I added them so the wrench doesn't slip.

20190203_231345 (resized).jpg20190203_231345 (resized).jpg

#16 5 years ago

I put a stool under the game, either front or back depending on where I want to adjust, then I take a car jack, lift the two legs about a half inch above the ground and turn the feet. If needed this is repeated once or twice.

#17 5 years ago

At the Golden State Pinball Festival we use pry bars to lift the leg off the floor. Then the leveller can be turned by hand.

Of course we're trying to level over 300 games in a short amount of time so we have to be efficient.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

You stole my thunder. I dont have any neighbors so this tactic I have used many times. Obviously not the most graceful way but you've gotta do what you gotta do to play some pinball.

#19 5 years ago

I prop mine up on a pinball cart and adjust then lower repeating if necessary

#20 5 years ago

Another tip, when leveling a game, to get the correct factory intended slope, position your level front to back on the bottom of the cabinet. If the bottom of the cabinet is level front to back, the game is sloped the way it was intended by the factory.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

Another tip, when leveling a game, to get the correct factory intended slope, position your level front to back on the bottom of the cabinet. If the bottom of the cabinet is level front to back, the game is sloped the way it was intended by the factory.

Hmmm never heard of that. Seems like the only way to correctly level a playfield is to level From the playfield. Cabinets can be completely different and holes very random. The playfield level/pitch is generally the only variable that matters in game play.

#22 5 years ago

Pry bar, small block of wood from 2x4 and adjustable wrench .

Loosen lock nut w/ wrench
Place block near leg
Put pry bar under bottom of leg, on top of wood block
Push down pry bar, spin the leveler with other hand
Check and adjust, re tighten lock nut

Don C

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

4,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Richardson, TX
$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 85.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pasadena, TX
5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-s-the-easist-way-one-person-can-re-level-legs-on-a-pinball-table and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.