(Topic ID: 251291)

What's the deal with this "newly assembled" Atari MPU?

By swampwiz

7 days ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by StratDoc
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

s-l1600 (resized).jpg
s-l1600 (1) (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

#1 7 days ago

ebay.com link

Is anyone doing any such "newly assembled" boards? Perhaps this is just a NOS part that has been sitting in some operator's storage all this time?

Also, doesn't this price sound ridiculous? It would seem that anyone remaking this board should do so for a lot lower price.

#2 7 days ago

Did you try messaging the seller with your questions?
Hard to believe in this day anyone would redesign an MPU with a battery holder on the board which makes me believe its a copy or build of NOS boards.

#3 7 days ago

Looks like he just sent in an original board for a scan/copy. Trace layouts look to be identical to the originals, as does the silkscreening.
Way too many things that can be done to improve that board, in addition to the battery holder.
Not NOS though ,as the originals had exposed traces.

Not just that, but you'd think if somebody re-did a whole board they'd realize they were Model-2, not Model-3 (which was only used in Road Runner and I think 4x4).

-Hans

#4 7 days ago

To me it looks like a cloned board. There are dubious places that will scan a PCB and give you back gerber files.

Jameco at a time sold reject atari boards too. So blanks could be out there too. But this one doesn't look like how I remember atari PCBs

pasted_image (resized).png

He is selling them blank too

s-l1600 (1) (resized).jpg
s-l1600 (resized).jpg

#5 7 days ago

Maybe someone should make a newly designed mpu for us with new up to date parts.
-Mike

#6 7 days ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

Maybe someone should make a newly designed mpu for us with new up to date parts.
-Mike

It's been on my list of things to do for quite a while. Just a matter of available time and energy.

-Hans

#7 7 days ago

I asked on ebay............has this been tested in a actual Superman Machine?

New message from: houstonpinball (807Purple Star)

Yes, it was manually soldered and they were tested on two Superman Atari pinballs. Plus the sound prom was tested. Not tested on a Hercules pinball but it includes the eprom. Remember it has a limited 90day warranty . Thank you for asking

#8 7 days ago
Quoted from HHaase:

It's been on my list of things to do for quite a while. Just a matter of available time and energy.
-Hans

Well, whenever I get a Superman, I will be a customer for any remanufactured boards. I hate dealing with old OEM boards.

#9 7 days ago

I guess the original one I posted about is a bargain compared to this:

ebay.com link » 1 Original Superman Hercules Atari Pinball Machine Cpu Board 4 Bare Boards

#10 6 days ago

I know this guy - houstonpinball. He did outstanding repair work on two original atari boards for me for a space riders at a very reasonable price. I was not aware he was also making replacement boards. Did solid work. I would suspect his replacement boards are good.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
2,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kusel, RP
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Radford, VA
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 115.00
Boards
Little Shop Of Games
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
$ 99.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D MODS
$ 20.00
$ 115.00
Playfield - Other
Great American Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods
$ 26.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
$ 239.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 20.90
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Haus
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside