(Topic ID: 308773)

What's the deal with NOS NIB?

By JBtheAVguy

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

Hi All,

We've been seeing what seems like a lot of recent NOS NIB titles coming up for ridiculous asking prices. I'm wondering...what is your opinion on buying something from 30-40 years ago that is still in its box? Would you open it or would you stick it in a corner and be proud that you own it? Seems to me something that old still unopened would be worth less than a really well maintained machine due to rubbers drying out, plastic cracking, caps popping etc. etc. I'm just not getting it. What do you think?

#2 2 years ago

It's a total crapshoot.

I almost bought a NIB Interflip Dragon a few years ago. I really wish I'd gone through with it, but....if you go back and look, you're going to see that people that have done this have had a very mixed bag of experiences with it. Corroded boards, corroded mechs, playfield planking, etc. Most of the time these things were NOT stored in ideal conditions.

#3 2 years ago

Watching the NIB DE Jurassic Park video makes me want to open it and play.

#4 2 years ago

Real question should be what about the NOS where clearly it's not NOS, but has broken board, new legs, and other problems?

#5 2 years ago

The idea is NOS NIB games will be free of hacks, shouldn't have parts missing, broken plastics, flaw less playfeild, cabinet art, etc.

But as Frax said storage issues are a big problem. It's gamble the prices are ebay plus x5 and then some. It's not until you open it and then you get to see you either bought a game as billed or a box of parts. Only now to ship it to HEP to make it the dream you had in the beginning. The newer game like Stern, JJP are subject to their issues for that each game when it was made.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from cp1610:

The idea is NOS NIB games will be free of hacks, shouldn't have parts missing, broken plastics, flaw less playfeild, cabinet art, etc.
    But as Frax said storage issues are a big problem.

I do get what it's "supposed to be" but I guess where I'm going with this is. Does anyone actually believe setting the game aside and not opening it gives it this magical value? Aside from playing the machine they are great pieces of mechanical art.

#7 2 years ago

I love to buy old nib and then open it on video like the Jurassic park and see how back in the day they put it in the box etc and have that unboxing feeling and you know it’s new not like new or refurb.

#8 2 years ago

I understand all of the reasons for keeping and selling one and absolutely none of the reasons for buying one these days.

Here's some where multiple examples have been sold/found in bulk, mostly from old operators (back in the RGP days):
    Black Knight
    NGG
    CV
    INT. Dragon (mentioned earlier)
    Getaway (Allied, not B/W)
    Caribbean Cruise
    Night Moves
    the 2 Pinball 2000 titles
    also one of the sys 11 games... I think it was Police Force

Back in the day you "got stuck" with them when you bought them on sale. You had to sometimes sell them at a loss because no one wanted them. In 2000-2002, pinball was not popular at all! No one in the hobby even thought that pinball manufacturing would survive. These days if you're not a distributor, due to high demand, it's all just speculators and flippers.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

It's a total crapshoot.
    I almost bought a NIB Interflip Dragon a few years ago. I really wish I'd gone through with it, but....if you go back and look, you're going to see that people that have done this have had a very mixed bag of experiences with it. Corroded boards, corroded mechs, playfield planking, etc. Most of the time these things were NOT stored in ideal conditions.

Schrodinger's Pin

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-s-the-deal-with-nos-nib and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.