(Topic ID: 288934)

What's the deal with generic Dremel tools at eBay?

By swampwiz

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by JethroP
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2021-03-04 at 7.09.54 AM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-04 at 7.03.14 AM (resized).png
    CCFACB30-E15A-4F77-9011-116BD422E6A3 (resized).jpeg
    C75579C1-D289-428A-ADBC-CF11CBBCBE38 (resized).jpeg

#1 3 years ago

This is actually a question about an attachment I am using that is not about pinball, but I know a lot of folks here are DremelHeads, so I figure it's a good a place as any.

So I went through the OEM wire brush and need another one (actually, at the rate this got eaten up, I'll need a bunch). So as for anything else, I looked for a replacement at eBay, and all I got were a bunch of listing for no-name items with NO ratings. Now, I don't mind getting no-name stuff, but I want to make sure that it's not garbage, so I like looking at the customer ratings. I have no idea if the factory producing the OEM stuff is the same that is supplying these vendors - and Dremel is just bending their customers over and sticking it in on the pricing for the replacements - or if this stuff is just a cheap knockoff that won't last long (not that the OEM item lasted all that long, AHEM).

Here is the eBay listings that I got:

ebay.com link: sch

There was 1 listing that had a few comments (and of course, you can't always trust them), that also had the highest price for a set of this size:

ebay.com link: 45 Pcs Wire Brushes Set Steel Wheel Dremel Accessories For Rotary Tool FREE SHIP

Here's what looks to be the same set for a lot cheaper:

ebay.com link: 45X Stainless Steel Wire Brush For Dremel Rotary Die Grinder Removal Wheel Tool

Here's another one, and with a comment:

ebay.com link: SHINA 45 PC Brass Wire Wheel Brushes for Dremel Accessories Rotary Tools Polish

These fly apart (at half speed on the Dremel) within seconds of use. Very cheaply made, most likely in China.

Of course, I'm sure it's ALL made in China.

#2 3 years ago

I don't think it matters much. Even the dremel brand comes apart and you wind up with the wires in your fingers

#3 3 years ago

There’s a reason why these are called consumables. They’re not designed to last, no matter how much you spend on them. I just buy a pack of the cheapest ones, because the expensive ones don’t last any longer.

#4 3 years ago

This is what I recommend. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015PK3CHC/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_T9CJJFJYS9HDMFB151RC

C75579C1-D289-428A-ADBC-CF11CBBCBE38 (resized).jpegC75579C1-D289-428A-ADBC-CF11CBBCBE38 (resized).jpeg

This is a cheap Drexel to use for brushes. Works great on light sockets and switch contacts. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003TU0XG4/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_R2EYZ9GHMWP4CPT5GTJE

CCFACB30-E15A-4F77-9011-116BD422E6A3 (resized).jpegCCFACB30-E15A-4F77-9011-116BD422E6A3 (resized).jpeg
    #5 3 years ago
    Quoted from Shewmanga:

I don't think it matters much. Even the dremel brand comes apart and you wind up with the wires in your fingers

And embedded in the rug, and then your girlfriend steps on one and it embeds itself in her foot and she screams at you to pull it out and you can't see it 'cause it's so damn small and thin so you need a magnifying glass to find it and tweezers to pull it out as she curses you for using that damn dremel wire brush attachment again.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

and then your girlfriend screams at you to pull it out and you can't

I hear ya...

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

And embedded in the rug, and then your girlfriend steps on one

You have a rug in your workshop? And your girlfriend comes out to visit you there? You're one lucky dude!

#8 3 years ago

Not sure what you're using the wire brush for with your Dremel. If it's for light sockets, I take a sheet of Scotchbrite, cut off little piece (approx. 1/4" x 1") wrap it around a small headless nail, secure with duct tape, insert in light socket and go. You get about 200 little pieces of Scotchbrite from one sheet.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

You have a rug in your workshop? And your girlfriend comes out to visit you there? You're one lucky dude!

Workshop is concrete floor but right next to pinball rooms with rugs, and on the way to the laundry room. When I use a dremel wire brush, I pretty much get wire pieces everywhere; they must stick into my shirt or shoes and I track them all over the house. She's even stepped on dremel wire detritus in the bedroom.

#10 3 years ago

Way is she on her feet in the bedroom

Quoted from jibmums:

Workshop is concrete floor but right next to pinball rooms with rugs, and on the way to the laundry room. When I use a dremel wire brush, I pretty much get wire pieces everywhere; they must stick into my shirt or shoes and I track them all over the house. She's even stepped on dremel wire detritus in the bedroom.

#11 3 years ago

Those wire brush pieces go everywhere, the negatives outweigh any positive benefit of using them so much that I gave up using them LONG ago.

#12 3 years ago

OK, I found some on Amazon with a lot of good reviews. A little less no-name than the mystery stuff @ eBay.

For those asking, it is to remove corrosion on stuff (no not pins) that had been flooded.

#13 3 years ago

For corrosion removal I use these quick disconnect abrasive pads with my Dremel quick disconnect (EZ lock) arbor. They are the very best, and easily swapped out with my other EZ lock tools (cut off wheel, etc.). You can get them in different grades of abrasiveness. Only warning, do not use on Chrome...I find them to be too abrasive. But for general cleanup on metals, they are the bomb!

Screen Shot 2021-03-04 at 7.03.14 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-03-04 at 7.03.14 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-03-04 at 7.09.54 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-03-04 at 7.09.54 AM (resized).png

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-s-the-deal-with-generic-dremel-tools-at-ebay?hl=guss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.