(Topic ID: 297196)

What's the chance of getting a Bally Addams Family for $7000 CAD?

By nagamitsu

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by nagamitsu
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

So I just sold all my arcade machines and the one older EM pinball I owned, sold our house and moving soon to new home that just simply doesn't have a good room that would become the arcade room. My holy grail machine is an Addams Family. I can have 1-2 machines in a room in the new house. I get people saying Addams Family prices have gone up (doesn't help with people scrambling over machines during pandemic to keep entertained), but what about a project machine in the price range I can pay? Do these even exist?

Tim

#2 2 years ago

Almost impossible. Any Addams that pops up in that range will sell in minutes. Chances of one appearing for sale in that range is slim, chances of being the first to reply even slimmer...Almost impossible.

#3 2 years ago

Slim and none, and if you do it'll be beat to shit and probably cost a bunch of extra money just to get it playing right again. Addams Family isn't even that good of a game. I mean, its good I guess, but its not 8-15k good especially if you don't have an enormous budget to blow on whatever toys you want and its your only game. A lot of people have nostalgia for that game and think its their "grail" pin. Its not. If you have to sell the farm just to buy an addams family I can promise you, its not the right move. Buy a different B/W and have pretty much the same amount of fun plus save a bunch of money, or just buy a stern pro and probably have more fun and save yourself a couple bucks still, or spend the entire 7k and maybe buy a stern premium.

#4 2 years ago

Stern premium is ~10K Cdn. used.

No chance you are getting The Addams Family for anything close to 7K Cdn.

Home for used pin sales in Canada is https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anybody-in-canada-have-any-pins-they-want-to-sell

#5 2 years ago

7000 cad is 5550 usd dollar today.
So, no chance in hell.
But, good luck, you never know.
If i saw 10 at this price today i would buy them.

#6 2 years ago

It took me about 4 years of hunting to find a project TAF for a reasonable price. And even then, I had to hustle to get there first to nab it.

With more eyes looking now and prices still skyrocketing, any TAF priced under the current market value is going to be nearly impossible to find. Or if a miracle does happen and one does appear, you'll need to grab it within the first 2-5 minutes of it appearing, drop everything and make a dash for it, and then hope it doesn't turn into an auction before you can pick it up.

#7 2 years ago

I see them in old taverns and bars in my area. I wonder if you walked into one of those old places with cash in hand and offered the owner 7000 l, one of them might take you up on it.

#8 2 years ago

It happens . You just have to be patient and not hesitate when it shows up . Sure , it’ll be a project , but they are out there . One just sold a couple months ago in Reno for 4500 I think ( maybe it was 5500 but I think 4500 ) .

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

7000 cad is 5550 usd dollar today.
So, no chance in hell.
But, good luck, you never know.
If i saw 10 at this price today i would buy them.

Wow. Now I see why they call Canadians "hosers". You guys get hosed on pricing! Ok so yeah buy a Stern pro and have a nice new game that will be a ton of fun, or find yourself a "lesser" B/W game and I promise you'll have the same sort of fun with it as you will an AF. You can always keep an eye out for a lucky chance to snag one at a good price but at least you'll be playing something in the mean time. Look for a nice Getaway or Dr Who or even a Demo man or something. You'll save a bunch of money and have a nice game that will be a lot of fun. Addams is cool, but its not worth it man.

#10 2 years ago

Thanks everyone! So either I hold out, continue looking for the possible "cheap" project that may come up, it doesn't help that any that usually come up for sale is in the US and then our dollar sucks! I may just look into a newer Stern Pro or something, or bank the money aside to some day get an Addams. If I can come across one in the wild sitting somewhere, I'd definitely try a cash offer to see if they bite. Only ones I know of up this way are in collectors hands and are going to get the premium price. Saw someone in Illinois recently pickup three (in project shape) from an old operator warehouse. It's something like that I'd love to find one of, as I'm ok with putting sweat equity into fixing it up.

Tim

#11 2 years ago

Consider it a blessing in disguise and go with a stern pro. With room for only a game or two you’ll be swapping games in and out all the time rather than keeping a grail theme.

#12 2 years ago

I don't even remember the last time I saw a proper Addams "project."

All those 90s "project" games were snapped up many years ago. They don't really exist any more, they've all been shopped out, completely restored, or something in between.

You certainly won't see one on the open market.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don't even remember the last time I saw a proper Addams "project."
All those 90s "project" games were snapped up many years ago. They don't really exist any more, they've all been shopped out, completely restored, or something in between.
You certainly won't see one on the open market.

I guess not on regular market/classifieds no. Some people still seem to have luck finding them from old operator warehouses still it seems,

Tim

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from nagamitsu:

I guess not on regular market/classifieds no. Some people still seem to have luck finding them from old operator warehouses still it seems,
Tim

No, that's dried up too. And if they aren't, YOU aren't gonna find it, a middleman like Coin Op Warehouse - who has relationships going back decades with these kind of old operators - is going to find it. And he's going to mark it up to market rate and offer it to us.

You MAY find them in some rando civillian's basement. I have a friend who works in HVAC and he tipped me off on an addam's a few years ago that needed a ton TLC, I believe I was able to negotiate it for $3000, plus a $500 finder's fee for my buddy.

Do you have these kinds of connections, resources, and luck? No, or you probably wouldn't be posting this question here...hence you won't be finding an Addams for $7k canadian. I think you just need to save some money and buy a decent one at market rate if that's the game you really have your heart set on.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from nagamitsu:

Tim

You have to understand...the likelyhood of this happening to you is EXTREMELY low. It would be akin to winning the lottery. Seeing one in the wild and offering to buy it is very unlikely as well. Almost all of those are owned by operators who know what they are worth/know what they earn. Its probably even more rare than a "warehouse" find to find the dusty old AF some shopkeep bought in the 90s and has been collecting dust in the corner. I'm not saying to give up hope, but like...don't expect it to ever happen either. Even if fate somehow shines down upon you, by the time you spend whatever you spend to fix it up, you'll probably just be in the range where you could have bought a decent one to begin with.

#16 2 years ago

I've owned 6 or 7 TAFs over the years, and all but the one I still own were random CL pop ups or tip offs on machines that were sitting around and needed work. But warehouse finds are almost all found at this point. You are a decade late on the good times. Once pinball caught fire again in mid 2010s, the fun was over. Anything worth restoring and flipping was restored and flipped. Impossible? No. Improbable? Highly.

Fun fact to make everyone groan: the first machine I ever bought was a TAF off a local operator, around 2004 or so. It had magnet burn and needed TLC. I fixed it and bought an overlay and made it presentable, and held onto it for about 6 months before flipping it for something new. I paid $1,800 for it. The next one I owned was maybe a year or a year and a half later. I paid $2,500 for it.

#17 2 years ago

Thanks, starting to realize I missed the boat by about 5-6 years (where I was seeing them in my price range). Would have to be a miracle then, or I get a newer/different pin (or a motorcycle, older Porsche or something)

Tim

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from nagamitsu:

Thanks, starting to realize I missed the boat by about 5-6 years (where I was seeing them in my price range). Would have to be a miracle then, or I get a newer/different pin (or a motorcycle, older Porsche or something)
Tim

i have a mint dirty harry not cheap, located in montreal.

also, porsche owner (993, cayman S race car and cayenne GTS)

pm me if you want more detail

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from nagamitsu:

Would have to be a miracle then,

Or get lucky. Right place at the right time.

Get the word out to friends and family that you are looking for a pinball machine. Don't specify what. You never know what will turn up.

Had a customer a few months back stumbled into a nice TZ for $4K. Looked like all it needed was new rubber rings.

LTG : )

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Or get lucky. Right place at the right time.
Get the word out to friends and family that you are looking for a pinball machine. Don't specify what. You never know what will turn up.
Had a customer a few months back stumbled into a nice TZ for $4K. Looked like all it needed was new rubber rings.
LTG : )

Yup. Get the word out and ask people...everywhere but here.

You have no friends here. Nobody is gonna pass on a TAF "project" to you that they'd rather keep themselves!

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yup. Get the word out and ask people...everywhere but here.
You have no friends here. Nobody is gonna pass on a TAF "project" to you that they'd rather keep themselves!

Understood, more Facebook groups and local groups where I have all the connections. Everyone pretty much knows how bad I had wanted one by now. But I do feel it is more of a pipe dream now, or would have to be very lucky for something to come up in the price/condition I can afford.

Tim

#22 2 years ago

Do not lose hope. I never thought I would find a Gottlieb Subway but one just fell into my lap.

Some advice:
Keep a wanted ad on Pinside... keep it active. A random guy who just joined pinside to sell a Subway found my ad and contacted me out of the blue. That lead to some wheeling and dealing, but thanks to Mopar I'm getting my Subway. Sometimes Dreams do come true.

#23 2 years ago

You obviously saw Troy’s pick up of 3 of them . He’s gonna fix and sell . Reach out to him on FB and ask what he’ll want for the lesser of the 3 . May be more than you’re looking to spend but if one has some heavy wear you may find you can swing it . Never know until you ask

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from NevadaNutJob:

You obviously saw Troy’s pick up of 3 of them . He’s gonna fix and sell . Reach out to him on FB and ask what he’ll want for the lesser of the 3 . May be more than you’re looking to spend but if one has some heavy wear you may find you can swing it . Never know until you ask

Yup. Already messaged with him. He may be only selling one, and wasn't sure if it will be a full shopped machine, or full restore. Indicated it would be way out of my price range for sure.

Tim

#25 2 years ago

If you find a TAF project pin, I've got a bunch of NOS and aftermatket TAF / TAFG parts and mods I should list here on pinside soon.

Quoted from nagamitsu:

Yup. Already messaged with him. He may be only selling one, and wasn't sure if it will be a full shopped machine, or full restore. Indicated it would be way out of my price range for sure.
Tim

#26 2 years ago

Thank you everyone, so gave up on this dream, maybe another day now. I got an awesome deal on a Stern Guardians of the Galaxy Pro with the budget I had for a machine. Hoping to pick it up this weekend!

Tim

#27 2 years ago
Quoted from nagamitsu:

Thank you everyone, so gave up on this dream, maybe another day now. I got an awesome deal on a Stern Guardians of the Galaxy Pro with the budget I had for a machine. Hoping to pick it up this weekend!
Tim

Thats great man. Happy to hear it! Don't give up looking, because despite how unlikely, you just never know. However, you made the right choice. I think you'll be very happy! At the very least just start saving and you can buy a nice one someday!

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Thats great man. Happy to hear it! Don't give up looking, because despite how unlikely, you just never know. However, you made the right choice. I think you'll be very happy! At the very least just start saving and you can buy a nice one someday!

My family will enjoy the Guardians for sure, and we are all fans of that franchise as well at least. Will be a fun machine, and will get a ton of play!

Tim

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 1,059.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 159.00
$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-s-the-chance-of-getting-a-bally-addams-family-for-7000-cad?hl=nicoy3k and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.