Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 111 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by RyanStl
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4434 (resized).JPG
    aew-darby-allin.gif
    rage-tilt-roger (resized).jpg
    66A58683-4BB9-4A13-9BD7-F069A8EE06D3 (resized).jpeg
    D1395BF9-15C0-408F-B99A-364016BC8EBE (resized).jpeg
    deathsavedave (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider radial_head.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

Get a few drinks in me and I'm notorious for giving a game (ahem especially a new significantly lighter stern machine) a good flick of the wrist and get that ball back. I blame having a few DE pins in the house for too long during the pandemic.

Why is this considered in poor taste?

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbrave77:

ive always seen its not good for the machines

I agree if the games are too close together. Bad for the cabinet heads.

I kind of refuse to believe that it's any worse for the cabinets than any other big save.

And yes, obviously, a no no in tournaments of competition play.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

A lot of stuff that seems like a great idea when you’ve “gotten a few drinks in you” isn’t always a good idea in practice.

Fair enough.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

On location, sure, why not?

I should clarify that that's exclusively a location based activity.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

legs-off-the-ground tilt.

First time I've heard this term.

#12 2 years ago

I like how many of you assume people like me enough to invite me over to play their home collections.

#15 2 years ago

So again, I've yet to see a death save cause damage outside of heads banging together (which is a big no no in my book).

What damage does this cause to a game again?

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from LORDDREK:

Can someone explain the difference between a “death save” and a “slide save”? I think I have seen and done both but looking for clarification.

A slide save is an aggressive move to one side or the other when a ball is headed for a straight down the middle drain.
    A death save is when a ball goes down the right outlane and then a player nudges the ball when it hits hits the apron to bounce into the trough, bouncing the ball back into play.

It's fucking obvious why that's illegal in a tournament or league play. However I think an argument that a slide save is somehow nicer on the cabinet and its structural integrity is bullshit.

Quoted from Rum-Z:

Speaking of cabinet structural integrity: There were some recent DMD era Sterns (looking at my AC/DC Luci) that didn't have good cabinet corner bracing. Those I wouldn't want to death save on, out of fear of cracking a cabinet corner seam. I added metal reinforcement angles to my AC/DC Luci. After that, I was fine with the death save attempts on it.

Yeah I've heard about this about this era of Stern cabinet even up to Aerosmith but I've never seen it in person. Honestly though, I still don't think that a death save is any worse on a brace than an aggressive outline shake, but maybe I'm wrong.

Quoted from drypaint:

One is a custom powder coated game that I won't be able to match the finish on.

Sounds like you should reconsider what type of work you're getting done on the games you put out on location. I mean, if I roll up to a nice tricked out Prem/LE game or whatever, sure, I'll be a little gentler than I am normally I guess, but mostly because it's owned by some sad sack that parks their car in two spots at the grocery store so people's doors don't accidentally bump into your car.

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

To me, if you can do death save easily on any game that means the tilt is not tight enough and also the legs are not tight enough. A new Stern feels like it weighs 1000 pounds if you tighten the leg bolts a little extra and put it on rubber feet. The plastic aprons on Pros seems to bounce more than Premiums and LE metal aprons, so that is in the mix too.

Not here to wave my dick around here especially about something that people seem to hate, but I can pretty consistently do a one handed death save on the Stranger Things (Pro) we have on location near me that I am (for the most part) responsible for servicing and maintaining. A nicely done death save won't turn heads or cause attention like a slap save does.

#50 2 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

GB on location in Nashua, NH.

Hold up, Penuche's I can get you're trying to tell me that a bunch of 8 year olds at Fundworld are death saving the shit out of a GB?

Quoted from Elvishasleft:

when you play golf...

You could have taken out the visor part and the statement still would have been true.

#60 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

No. You said you’d never seen a picture of these messed up cabinets. They showed you some. Didn’t say the damage was from death saves.

Right right, I'm just kind of like jamming on some funny local jargon here.

#86 2 years ago
    Quoted from Scoot:

I'd love someone to come over and show me how to do it on one of my machines. I have tried a hundred times and I still can't perform one.

Isn't it on Last Action Hero that you have to perform one in order to like "finish the game". I'll come by during waking windows in may and show you the ropes and then you can join me being the "biggest douche in the room".

#88 2 years ago
    Quoted from isJ:

https://imgur.com/a/avpXW4Y -- should I get 86'd from this bar for this? Really?

According to Dry Paint, yea.

#90 2 years ago
    Quoted from chas10e:

I will tell someone who I am playing with that is considered cheating

It is true, you have told me a number of times that it's cheating.

I guess something I think about a lot is how is it any more or less cheating than a big outline save?

If we're going by tournament rules, then I would assume that any extra balls you play in the world area also cheating.

My brain says that if your games are set loose enough so that you can pull off the maneuver, there's an argument for it being a fair deal. I'm clearly playing devils advocate here but it's a somewhat worthwhile discussion.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider radial_head.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-s-so-bad-about-a-death-save?tu=radial_head and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.