Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 544 posts
  • 158 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 77 days ago by EZ-Rhino
  • Topic is favorited by 84 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What classics should be made next? Multiple selections allowed”

• Indiana Jones 150 votes
      13%
    • Addams Family 118 votes
      10%
    • White Water 144 votes
      12%
    • Theater of Magic 176 votes
      15%
    • Star Trek 23 votes
      2%
    • Fish Tales 43 votes
      4%
    • Fun House 44 votes
      4%
    • Circus Voltaire 103 votes
      9%
    • Champions Pub 31 votes
      3%
    • Tales of the Arabian Nights 227 votes
      19%
    • Twilight Zone 111 votes
      9%

(Multiple choice - 1170 votes by 579 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0D6AA392-1ACD-4A76-8F43-E053F6C79A50 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9235 (resized).jpeg
    molasses (resized).jpg
    IMG_20231115_193457 (resized).png
    download.jpg
    9945E9C5-472C-4C13-A01F-71396274B823 (resized).jpeg
    you-gotta-will-it-into-existence-msnbc.gif
    IMG_6469.gif
    maxresdefault.jpg
    7662275.gif
    IMG_6463.gif
    hope-youre-not-in-a-rush (resized).jpeg
    IMG_6449 (resized).jpeg
    8b909aea1b3745b5676b8e196cca0f6e.jpg
    20230531_100004 (resized).jpg
    20230531_105443 (resized).jpg

There are 544 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 11.
    #251 1 year ago
    Quoted from John_I:

They certainly have the option of finishing off the CCr deliveries and then producing a bunch more MMr, AFMr and MBr before moving on to WH2O. You know they could sell at least 500 more of each of those first three games. A new/different LE trim for each would also sell out instantly.

AFMr/MBr games sat in dealer inventory forever. I doubt we’ll see those run again in a long time, if ever.

#252 1 year ago

If there are 6 other manufacturers potentially getting a shot at remakes..
    Perhaps nothing next from CGC ..

#253 1 year ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

If there are 6 other manufacturers potentially getting a shot at remakes..

I don't think Rick was talking about the style of remakes CGC is working on.

They are involved with Haggis. And the Funhouse 2.0 kit. So I'd be more thinking along those lines and or BBB, KP, and PC ?

Not likely but I'm still hoping for PTCr or EFL !

LTG : )

#254 1 year ago

I am not a fan of remakes. It has a devaluing effect to those of us who have originals.

#255 1 year ago
    Quoted from alexanr1:

I am not a fan of remakes. It has a devaluing effect to those of us who have originals.

87A547DE-9D99-41AA-BF50-2E56F9777241.gif87A547DE-9D99-41AA-BF50-2E56F9777241.gif
    #256 1 year ago
    Quoted from alexanr1:

According to your collection listed you don't even have any of the originals of the games that have been remade.

#257 1 year ago
    Quoted from alexanr1:

Somebody getting that big money and you aren’t huh? Well those pinheads who wanted a 20 year old pinball machine, with 20 year old plastics, 20 year old sculpts, 20 year old electronics, a monochrome orange DMD, 20 years of dirt and grime, and 20 years of wear and tear, well they went out and spent $10k to $15k on an original. I got a brand new zero years young copy, with a shaker motor, expanded color DMD, brand new topper sculpts, updated electronics, high quality silk screened playfield (just like an original), metallic blue armor, laser etched LE plaque on lockdown bar, more detailed painted playfield sculpts, laboratory arc generator toy etc… etc… and all for $8300 delivered, it required a 7 month wait, but has only had 1 minor problem in 3.5 years of HUO play, with 2000+ games.

I couldn’t give a rats ass if some poor collector had to take one in the balls because he wanted that “original” HEP restored machine and had to pay more than $8.3k for it. I never thought I would be able to get a Monster Bash original, they were too scarce and too prized by owners and cost a fortune. Thank god for CGC and PPS for giving us slightly less well off players a shot at owning some pinball machines of lore at what was a nearly an unreasonable amount back then, but turns out was a bargain by todays standards. I hope they (CGC) have a part in keeping pinball affordable in the home.

#258 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

Somebody getting that big money and you aren’t huh? Well those pinheads who wanted a 20 year old pinball machine, with 20 year old plastics, 20 year old sculpts, 20 year old electronics, a monochrome orange DMD, 20 years of dirt and grime, and 20 years of wear and tear, well they went out and spent $10k to $15k on an original. I got a brand new zero years young copy, with a shaker motor, expanded color DMD, brand new topper sculpts, updated electronics, high quality silk screened playfield (just like an original), metallic blue armor, laser etched LE plaque on lockdown bar, more detailed painted playfield sculpts, laboratory arc generator toy etc… etc… and all for $8300 delivered, it required a 7 month wait, but has only had 1 minor problem in 3.5 years of HUO play, with 2000+ games.
    I couldn’t give a rats ass if some poor collector had to take one in the balls because he wanted that “original” HEP restored machine and had to pay more than $8.3k for it. I never thought I would be able to get a Monster Bash original, they were too scarce and too prized by owners and cost a fortune. Thank god for CGC and PPS for giving us slightly less well off players a shot at owning some pinball machines of lore at what was a nearly an unreasonable amount back then, but turns out was a bargain by todays standards. I hope they (CGC) have a part in keeping pinball affordable in the home.

Halleluja! Basically you put words to exactly how I feel about their remakes. Putting that amount of money into the old ones vs the remakes is a very easy choice for me - remakes all the way.

I've had a mint MM in my collection in the past. In my opinion the remake is WAY better and the XL display really enhance the game.

#259 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I don't think Rick was talking about the style of remakes CGC is working on.
    They are involved with Haggis. And the Funhouse 2.0 kit. So I'd be more thinking along those lines and or BBB, KP, and PC ?
    Not likely but I'm still hoping for PTCr or EFL !

Ohh. That makes sense.
    Good luck on the PTCr!!
    Richard

#260 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

Thank god for CGC and PPS for giving us slightly less well off players a shot at owning some pinball machines of lore at what was a nearly an unreasonable amount back then, but turns out was a bargain by todays standards. I hope they (CGC) have a part in keeping pinball affordable in the home.

Well said. I bought a NIB MM in 1997 which is worth less than half it once was before the remake was announced. Doesn’t bother me in the least. It has brought countless hours of fun to my family. Priceless. Now a whole new generation of pinball fans has the same opportunity to have a new, sometimes improved, classic.

#261 1 year ago

Screw the originals. Most 90s games stink like someone camped in there in the summer.
    Give me a clean remake with modern electronics and fresh everything.

#262 1 year ago

I want a ToMrLE, but only with more code in it. I loved my ToM but the shallow code made me finally sell it.

#263 1 year ago
    Quoted from jfh:

AFMr/MBr games sat in dealer inventory forever. I doubt we’ll see those run again in a long time, if ever.

That's true, but the market has changed since then. I'd bet CGC could sell a ton of MMr, and smaller runs of AFMr and MBr today. And a bunch of BBBr. Hopefully we'll get to find out!

#264 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

Screw the originals. Most 90s games stink like someone camped in there in the summer.

I'm pretty sure you forgot the "sarcasm" emoji.

#265 1 year ago

Twilight Zone rumors really heavy now and not just Kaneda. Considering how long it takes CGC to get games out and how loaded that game is, it's still a shocker for me that it would come out. But I also thought it was a shocker for an elwin street game that comes out in parallel with another designers game and here we are.

Considering who is saying it now and how different they are from each other, it just seems like it's coming and for CGC to have any chance, the plan would need to be in play right now b/c it's a ramp up for sure.

and I'm def a buyer.

#266 1 year ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Twilight Zone rumors really heavy now and not just Kaneda. Considering how long it takes CGC to get games out and how loaded that game is, it's still a shocker for me that it would come out. But I also thought it was a shocker for an elwin street game that comes out in parallel with another designers game and here we are.
    Considering who is saying it now and how different they are from each other, it just seems like it's coming and for them to have any chance, the plan would need to be in play right now b/c it's a ramp up for sure.
    and I'm def a buyer.

When MMr was booting up years ago, I asked Rick if they would do TZ as I was in the market for one. At that time, he said too complex and too many. Based on the games they have done so far, and being shut down by some parts issues, I doubt they would remake TZ, especially with so many out there. But why wait when you can get a great example right now for $10k. My TZ is perhaps my best playing game, restored by Brian Kelly ten years ago. I'd love to see remakes of ToTAN, CV even though I have an original coming, Funhouse, Indiana Jones, etc. TZ too, why not?

#267 1 year ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Considering who is saying it now and how different they are from each other, it just seems like it's coming and for CGC to have any chance, the plan would need to be in play right now b/c it's a ramp up for sure.
    and I'm def a buyer.

I heard the rumour as well about TZ on a recent TPN “Pinball Party” podcast. Episode 13 about 40 minutes in I think.

Who else is saying TZ?

Thanks!
    Richard

#268 1 year ago
    Quoted from Richard-NBA-SF2:

I heard the rumour as well about TZ on a recent TPN “Pinball Party” podcast. Episode 13 about 40 minutes in I think.
    Who else is saying TZ?
    Thanks!
    Richard

Zach mentioned it on his podcast

#269 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pbgixxer:

Zach mentioned it on his podcast

Yes. He made reference to the pinball Party podcast. Maybe he mentioned it again.

I also heard on another podcast a while back (can not remember which one) that someone’s friend was making ramps for the TZ remakes for CGC.

Richard

#270 1 year ago

I was just thinking about the magnitude of what ANY pinball company must go through to make machines. When (we) the community folks need a machine working, we order a handful of parts from PBL or Marco or wherever, because 99% of our machines are already assembled intact, just need to be fixed.

When CGC or any other new team wants to make 500 machines regardless of title, they need to source every cabinet, plunger, ball guide, screw, coil, plastic, PCB, display and switch. 80% are common things used by all pinball makers, but they still need to be sourced from the manufacturer in quantity. The other 20% of stuff above the playfield is custom design (or update design) and requires production capacity somewhere. NOT to mention the need to store all of that Bill of Material somewhere (and paid for up front typically) until its ready to be assembled. And then there is the labor that needs to be skilled and 'standing by' to make a batch of machines when the parts are ready. As silly as it sounds, they can't really start assembling a batch of machines unless they have all the 'stuff' on the shelves, and you can't have a bunch of assemblers on-call hoping the parts will be ready. It's a very fluid dynamic, driven by parts, cost and labor. Yikes!

My point is, I bet it's harder that it looks, and so many pinball companies fail to get the rythm going. It's a daugnting task, build 500 machines, rather than fixing one machine. That said, CGC should have some memory on what it takes since they had been doing this for many years, but perhaps the staffers have changed so nobody ever remembers all the "magic".

#271 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I'm still hoping for PTCr or EFL !

I notice you didn't put an "r" after EFL. So this would mean an original title, right? What does EFL mean?

#272 1 year ago
    Quoted from mostater:

I notice you didn't put an "r" after EFL. So this would mean an original title, right? What does EFL mean?

I'm so bad with the accronyms on this site. I don't know what PTC or EFL are either. I usually end up doing a forum search to figure it out.

#273 1 year ago
    Quoted from mostater:

I notice you didn't put an "r" after EFL.

Yup.

Quoted from mostater:

So this would mean an original title, right?

Nope.

Quoted from mostater:

What does EFL mean?

Can you keep a secret ?

Good. So can I.

#274 1 year ago
    Quoted from pch3727:

I don't know what PTC

Please good sir. Let me assist you.

PTC - aka as Punchy The Clown. Whose call outs were made famous by Fred Young. Whose voice is heard in a couple hundred pinball machines.

Thousands of people are hoping for a PTCr - a remake. New programming, RGB lighting, interactive clown head topper. The works.

Some day our voices will be heard ! And we will be vindicated.

#275 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Please good sir. Let me assist you.
    PTC - aka as Punchy The Clown. Whose call outs were made famous by Fred Young. Whose voice is heard in a couple hundred pinball machines.
    Thousands of people are hoping for a PTCr - a remake. New programming, RGB lighting, interactive clown head topper. The works.
    Some day our voices will be heard ! And we will be vindicated.

Just googled it and WOW that is quite the playfield art.

#277 1 year ago

This did not deserve the downvotes it got… he said the exact same thing as me and I got how many upvotes!?!? Dudes, re-read what he said… he’s talking about how clean and good smelling the remakes are, and that most OG titles reek of bar room and cigarettes inside, not that they suck as titles…. Jimminy Crickets guys…

#278 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

This did not deserve the downvotes it got… he said the exact same thing as me and I got how many upvotes!?!? Dudes, re-read what he said… he’s talking about how clean and good smelling the remakes are, and that most OG titles reek of bar room and cigarettes inside, not that they suck as titles…. Jimminy Crickets guys…

Thanks for pointing that out
    I cant see the voting it is disabled for me…

What a toxic feature that is, people use it wrong as shown in my post for many reasons, clicke, reading comprehension, who knows.

But yes, that is what I meant. Lol

Scary.

#279 1 year ago

Thanks for pointing that out
    I cant see the voting it is disabled for me…
    What a toxic feature that is, people use it wrong as shown in my post for many reasons, clicke, reading comprehension, who knows.
    But yes, that is what I meant. Lol
    Scary.

Quoted from Bublehead:

haha! My TZ looks MINT on the outside, but open the coin box and stick your head in! Different story! Pee-yoo!

Richard

#280 1 year ago

My TZ looks MINT on the outside, but open the coin box and stick your head in! Different story! Pee-yoo!

This. Exactly. The only true HUO TZ I know of is in Ohio. It belongs to a friend who bought it off a mutual friend that I helped purchase it NIB. The distributor in Columbus, Shaffer if I recall, heard it was going into HUO and when they set it up and delivered it, they took out the coin mechs in it. To this day, never had any in it, and looks and smells brand new inside. Should have offered him $2k for it back when that was almost double the going rate at auction for one at the time. Well maybe there are a few TZ that they could sell if they do the remake, but another 2-3k TZ machines added to the mix? Not sure if that much demand is actually out there.

#281 1 year ago

If they remake TotAN I’d be interested. I’m assuming license costs would prevent Indiana Jones.

#282 1 year ago

but open the coin box and stick your head in! Different story! Pee-yoo!

Not suppose to store cheese and old socks in your game Richard !

#283 1 year ago

haha! My TZ looks MINT on the outside, but open the coin box and stick your head in! Different story! Pee-yoo!
    Richard

Lol, in Canada we store hockey gear in the wide bodies.

#284 1 year ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

Not suppose to store cheese and old socks in your game Richard !

Coffee grinds....does wonders.

I'm fortunate that my TZ was in a non-smoking arcade for the two years before I purchased it. Pins from smoking environments are a deal killer for me.

I must confess, I have no idea why CGC would take on TZ...what an immense amount of complexity/cost/pain/licensing headaches, for a machine where there are huge numbers of them in the wild, available at reasonable prices (compared to new). Seems like there is much lower hanging fruit for higher demand/less headache machines.

Lots of other WPC-95 games to choose from without the licensing headaches.

If they're going to go WPC (and WPC DCS) and tackle the licensing headaches, seems like Indiana Jones would be in the sweet spot of the hassle/demand factor

#285 1 year ago

Never say never but I’ll be quite surprised TZ is ever remade. But there is a group of people absolutely convinced it’s next.

#286 1 year ago

I’m really wondering what I would do as a TZ owner of almost twenty years. the game that got me into the hobby at 13 when it was brand spanking new (1993-94, South Africa) and the first one I owned 13 years later. It’s my “bolted”, but a remake with all the bling, topper, I mean….maybe some games are just meant to be had in both iterations ?!?!?TZ is probably the only one I feel that way about. I don’t think I could ever get rid of “my first” but a remake could be a challenge in decision making.

#287 1 year ago

If they did an LE black and white edition that was all grey scale with all RGB controlled lamps under white inserts and RGB GI lighting, monochrome big display with enhanced grey scale graphics, topper and the royal CGC treatment, yeah, I’d nibble on that bait…

#288 1 year ago
    Quoted from alexanr1:

Way to look out for numero uno. I have a lot of 90s games. I’d be happy to see them all remade. It’d bring me more joy to have more pins in the world and people enjoying them than to have whatever measly more value in my pins. Which is arguable anyway - values seem to be holding up fine.

#289 1 year ago
    Quoted from ray-dude:

Coffee grinds....does wonders.
    I'm fortunate that my TZ was in a non-smoking arcade for the two years before I purchased it. Pins from smoking environments are a deal killer for me.
    I must confess, I have no idea why CGC would take on TZ...what an immense amount of complexity/cost/pain/licensing headaches, for a machine where there are huge numbers of them in the wild, available at reasonable prices (compared to new). Seems like there is much lower hanging fruit for higher demand/less headache machines.
    Lots of other WPC-95 games to choose from without the licensing headaches.
    If they're going to go WPC (and WPC DCS) and tackle the licensing headaches, seems like Indiana Jones would be in the sweet spot of the hassle/demand factor

I’ll try the coffee grinds! I have some baking soda in there now. And some odour absorbing packs. Made some difference.

#290 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinballGalore:

I’m really wondering what I would do as a TZ owner of almost twenty years. the game that got me into the hobby at 13 when it was brand spanking new (1993-94, South Africa) and the first one I owned 13 years later. It’s my “bolted”, but a remake with all the bling, topper, I mean….maybe some games are just meant to be had in both iterations ?!?!?TZ is probably the only one I feel that way about. I don’t think I could ever get rid of “my first” but a remake could be a challenge in decision making.

I just got my TZ recently, I would sell it for a remake for sure!

Richard

#291 1 year ago

Coffee grinds might help... if really bad there is always the hard way .

20220711_124410.jpg20220711_124410.jpg20220824_212747.jpg20220824_212747.jpg
    #292 1 year ago
    Quoted from jfh:

Never say never but I’ll be quite surprised TZ is ever remade. But there is a group of people absolutely convinced it’s next.

A much bigger and more vocal group are convinced that PTCr is next.

#293 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

A much bigger and more vocal group are convinced that PTCr is next.

I’ll be rooting for you Lloyd. You should get the first one off the line.

#294 1 year ago
    Quoted from jfh:

I’ll be rooting for you Lloyd. You should get the first one off the line.

Thank you !

I just hope Ryan doesn't shoot me for letting the clown out of the bag.

#295 1 year ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

Coffee grinds might help... if really bad there is always the hard way .
    [quoted image][quoted image]

nothing works better than this, plus once it is done it will last forever... I vote for this.
    UPVOTE! lol

#296 1 year ago

The hard way is easier said than done… but boy howdy is it effective. Playfield swaps cut the stench back to a degree, but nothing kills like a coat of Kilz.

#297 1 year ago
    Quoted from jfh:

Makes no sense to me either but would be cool to see since I love TZ. It seems like something like TOM or TOTAN would be better choices with what they have been doing. You would have to change tooling for widebody and deal with extra licensing for TZ. In general it would be more expensive to build so less profits unless you jack up prices. And that's on a game that sold more than 15000 which is a whole lot more than all the other remakes. TAF would be far better choice if they are going to go in that direction.

#298 1 year ago

I do not think there is a lot of extra tooling for wide games...
    Perhaps the facility isn't ready to roll a wide body as it moves to the building line? other than that, the cost of wood is probably the only added factor as they still use the same sheet of ply to cut one reg cab or a wide one, at any rate, if they do need a second sheet, that is an extra $100 per game, so it would double the amount of ply needed and needing more storage, unless these are fabricated off site?

The rest is really all the same... Just thinking this through as people have made the 'tooling' comment before but I am not sure that holds true.
    If they recently built a factory and wide bodies were in the radar for them, I am sure they prebuild these contingencies within their plans...

Edit:
    Spooky pinball is a much smaller operation and they just released a new wide game…

Seems doable to me

#299 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bublehead:

you buy remake because new electronics?

i would buy one because the original is stupidly overpriced like BBB and/or the remake would get a significant code update. Don,t care about anything else

#300 1 year ago

I do not think there is a lot of extra tooling for wide games...
    Perhaps the facility isn't ready to roll a wide body as it moves to the building line? other than that, the cost of wood is probably the only added factor as they still use the same sheet of ply to cut one reg cab or a wide one, at any rate, if they do need a second sheet, that is an extra $100 per game, so it would double the amount of ply needed and needing more storage, unless these are fabricated off site?
    The rest is really all the same... Just thinking this through as people have made the 'tooling' comment before but I am not sure that holds true.
    If they recently built a factory and wide bodies were in the radar for them, I am sure they prebuild these contingencies within their plans...
    Edit:
    Spooky pinball is a much smaller operation and they just released a new wide game…
    Seems doable to me

Yeah I was thinking about that. Wide body has the same back box. Same sides. Same legs. Same coin door.
    The issue I would think licensing would be the main factor to overcome.

I’m in on one!

Richard

There are 544 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-s-next-chicago-gaming-company-1/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.