Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 63 days ago by mcluvin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png

#1 64 days ago

This is a short video of 2 1.5 liter Turbo Civic Sedan engines running. There is the normal sewing machine-like sound of the valves in both, but the first engine has another louder thumpa thumpa sort of sound. I'm not sure what that is and I don't think it is good. The sound does not get worse with increased throttle.

Honda quality has taken a bit of a shi*. Both these cars have ~25K miles. Both have needed the AC condensers replaced, have fuel dilution in the oil, and have valve cover gasket leaks.

I know this is a pinball forum, but I also know I'll get a response and some of you folks know cars. I appreciate any feedback.

#2 64 days ago

CARGUMENT INCOMING!!

#3 64 days ago

Valves.

#4 64 days ago

I think it’s fuel injectors and maybe some valve clatter, is the engine cold does it do it when it’s hot and cold?

#5 64 days ago

All I heard were your valves.
    My vw sounds like that when it's a quart low on oil.

#6 64 days ago

Sounds like a muffler bearing….seriously with new cars it could be several things. No expert but you really need to find a reliable mechanic to give an honest opinion/diagnosis. Could be nothing or could be a problem. One idea would be to check out a used comparable car to yours (same engine-mileage) and see how it sounds. It may be normal wear hopefully. To me one just sounds louder than the other. Valves is my guess.

#7 64 days ago

It sounds like the valves, I would start by checking oil level. Then if your valves are hydraulic either adjust the lifters or replace them.

#8 64 days ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

I think it’s fuel injectors and maybe some valve clatter, is the engine cold does it do it when it’s hot and cold?

Yeah, hot or cold. I shoulda taken it for a drive but didn't. I know the valve noise is normal. Hondas are supposed to sound like sewing machines. But that thumpa thumpa sound in the first engine. It just doesn't sound right. I'll be happy if that is just fuel injectors.

And those dealer multi-point inspections are BS. I had my daughter get one a month ago and all they could find was she really needs a new cabin filter. I look at the car and well there is a valve cover gasket leak and the oil smells like gas.

For you folks up north, How do you keep mice out of the engine? I've read peppermint oil sprayed around the engine bay does the trick.

#9 64 days ago
    Quoted from Pickle:

One idea would be to check out a used comparable car to yours (same engine-mileage) and see how it sounds.

Both of these cars are 2017 1.5 liter Turbo Civics. The first engine makes that noise. The other doesn't. Both are ~25K miles.

#10 64 days ago
    Quoted from Concretehardt:

I think you are right. I listened to a few other Honda Noisy Injector videos and that's the sound. Thanks!

#11 64 days ago

Injectors or the high pressure fuel pump are making that sound including the lower note thump or tick. I drive a Juke (1.6L turbo) and it sounds nearly identical to yours at idle. Though if mine starts making that lower note tick it means the timing chain has stretched, the chain tensioner is at its limit and the chain is now slapping the plastic guides.

#12 64 days ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

have fuel dilution in the oil,

Think there was a recall on this issue. Scotty Kilmer has a video on it. Rings are bad,allowing fuel blow-by that gets into the crankcase oil. Then the oil can't do a proper job and the valves/lifters rattle from being dry.
    Eventually the engine blows.

#13 64 days ago

It could be a pulley/belt tensioner bearing. Is it under warranty with only 25K miles?

Edit: It does sound bad. Thought it sounded like a diesel or something if not looking at the video.

#14 63 days ago

There is a recall to fix some of the 2016-2018 1.5 engine... u may want to see if yours needs the fixes.

#15 63 days ago

In retrospect, I now think it's your bearings, they should be located at the red arrows.

pasted_image (resized).png
    #16 63 days ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Think there was a recall on this issue. Scotty Kilmer has a video on it. Rings are bad,allowing fuel blow-by that gets into the crankcase oil. Then the oil can't do a proper job and the valves/lifters rattle from being dry.
    Eventually the engine blows.

The oil smells like gas and appears overfilled and thin. It will be going back to the dealer shortly.

Quoted from RyanStl:

It could be a pulley/belt tensioner bearing. Is it under warranty with only 25K miles?

Powertrain warranty is 5yr/60K miles.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside