Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by jrpinball
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Handbill - Unboxing a Bally Silver Sails (1962).pdf (PDF preview)
    AB2CD267-AB76-4DEF-8743-FCFB19974DF0 (resized).png
    567672B4-B47E-4A2C-BFF7-A30F75BC8AB4 (resized).png
    vVPamcr (resized).png
    bingoRowChant.gif

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

I posted this in another thread this morning because it would be too easy for you guys to figure it out.

You can play along or go straight to the end of the posts. But that wouldn't be fun.

Start at post #9296.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-machine-did-you-bring-home-today-post-your-pictures/page/186

#2 5 years ago

Kind of a letdown since you never say exactly what it is and that you won't even open it until the fall. So maybe start a new thread in a few months when you are ready to post pictures of the unboxing.

#3 5 years ago

I was slightly interested until I learned it was a bingo, and was not going to be opened for months...now, not so much

#4 5 years ago

Wait. You want everyone to guess and you're not even opening it for several months? I now have zero interest.

#5 5 years ago

yay for your box and all, but there's nothing to see until you open it

#6 5 years ago

OMG you people are something else...obviously none of you actually went and looked at the other thread. RIF as always...

Can't wait to maybe see you at York Dennis!! Always wanted to make your acquaintance...I hope you decide to come. York is the show for this type of game...

Sean

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from Stoomer:

OMG you people are something else...obviously none of you actually went and looked at the other thread. RIF as always...
    Can't wait to maybe see you at York Dennis!! Always wanted to make your acquaintance...I hope you decide to come. York is the show for this type of game...
    Sean

I did go look at the other thread, Im still not interested...

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

If you all did you would see what the game is. But that is why its box opening for collectors per the ops reasons listed of this game is interesting. Its a little like getting to open a safe brought up from the Titanic..... well probably not, but still interesting to me.

#9 5 years ago

Is there going to be an opening party? I would love to be there if so.

#10 5 years ago

This is an amazing find, Dennis - congratulations! As stated in the other thread, he plans to bring it to either the York show or to the Houston expo to unbox on the show floor. Amazing!

Even if you are not interested in bingos, this is an extremely significant find. How many NIB bingos are there, specifically, one of the most sought-after titles produced? Beyond that, how many NIB EM games are there?

They don't appear that frequently.

Knowing the answers to the questions Dennis posed are just some of the historical items that we can all learn from, bingo or flipper folks alike. That's just a start - what was the packaging like? How did they protect the game during shipment? Shipping blocks? There is a lot to learn of historical value.

Congratulations again, Dennis!

#11 5 years ago

This is fantastic news! The NIB Silver Sails couldn't have went to a better guy or home. Well deserved for all you do for the hobby and collectors around the globe.

I can't wait to here about all the information Bally Bingo collectors will learn from this grand unveiling at which would be nice if it takes place in York PA on Bingo Row. Please make sure that there will be plenty of videos taking place at this spectacular unveiling event when ever or where ever it might occur.

Dennis can you tell us any other information about the game....?

A) How many owners through the years or if it was ever offered for sale in the past?
    B) How well was it taken care for and in what kind storage was it in like garage, basement, warehouse, amusement company..etc?
    C) How many hands did it pass since you got it?
    D) Has there been any other NIB bingos in the past that have sold or kept in the box from 1950's or 1960's?

I heard of some 1970's Bally Tahiti bingos in the past up for sale and maybe a couple of other bingos,but not sure and can't think of the other NIB titles that perhaps might have also been offered for sale?

Anyway you look at this Silver Sails find it is incredible. I am hoping that the game is in remarkable condition for it being in a cardboard box for 57 years. This might depend on where and how the game was in storage for all them years. Well the good thing is....we will find out.

3. I'm thinking there won't be any "grey colored" dead rubbers on the four red post.
    4. What serial number "Reflex Unit Gear" installed from factory?
    5. What brand keys come with factory game and key numbers?
    6. Type of balls? Brand name and or magnetic?
    7. What a full complete instructions and score card package consist of?
    8. Would there be any spare parts? Maybe extra reflex gears for operators to switch out for payouts?
    9. Any types of factory oils for motors or lubes for stepping units?

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from Stoomer:

Sean

Obviously we did go to the other thread. Where was it revealed to be a Silver Sails? He narrowed it down to 4 possibilities. Maybe he revealed it after I read it? Anyway, I look forward to seeing pics in a few months. Just disappointed that there was no reveal after it was implied there would be.

#13 5 years ago

Well, I'm happy the "bring home" thread is back to normal.

A NIB of this age is certainly cool, just has little lastibility for me. That said, I'll be glad to check out the pics a few months from now.

#14 5 years ago

This is the coolest story I've ever heard in pinball/bingo collecting. I'm just amazed that something that wasn't opened for 56 years survived at all. And to think it's the "queen" of the collectible bingos to boot! Can you post some back story on the game? Did you get it from the original owner? How come it never got opened? You said you believe the backglass will probably be shot. Was it stored in an unheated space? I dream about a find like this. Please, more details.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Kind of a letdown since you never say exactly what it is and that you won't even open it until the fall. So maybe start a new thread in a few months when you are ready to post pictures of the unboxing.

The name of the game was revealed in post #9342 last evening.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

I was slightly interested until I learned it was a bingo, and was not going to be opened for months...now, not so much

Yeah. Not many bingo fans left in the U.S.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from Rondogg:

Wait. You want everyone to guess and you're not even opening it for several months? I now have zero interest.

The name of the game was revealed in post # 9342 last evening. Yeah. Not many bingo fans left in the US.

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

yay for your box and all, but there's nothing to see until you open it

That is correct. But in my defense, the thread title just asks "What game did you bring home today."

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from Stoomer:

Sean

Thanks Sean. Looking forward to meeting you.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Understood.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from SteveinTexas:

If you all did you would see what the game is. But that is why its box opening for collectors per the ops reasons listed of this game is interesting. Its a little like getting to open a safe brought up from the Titanic..... well probably not, but still interesting to me.

Thanks. Like I said, might just be a bunch of bricks in there.

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from finnflash:

Is there going to be an opening party? I would love to be there if so.

Nothing definite yet, but I hope you will be able to join us.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from bingopodcast:

This is an amazing find, Dennis - congratulations! As stated in the other thread, he plans to bring it to either the York show or to the Houston expo to unbox on the show floor. Amazing!
    Even if you are not interested in bingos, this is an extremely significant find. How many NIB bingos are there, specifically, one of the most sought-after titles produced? Beyond that, how many NIB EM games are there?
    They don't appear that frequently.
    Knowing the answers to the questions Dennis posed are just some of the historical items that we can all learn from, bingo or flipper folks alike. That's just a start - what was the packaging like? How did they protect the game during shipment? Shipping blocks? There is a lot to learn of historical value.
    Congratulations again, Dennis!

Thanks Nick. I know that you understand the historical significance of this find. I guess the negativity in this thread would be like someone finding an old NIB video game or something like that. Except that while I would probably have no interest in that game itself, I would still be interested in seeing what would be found when opening the box. So I kind of get it.
    Thanks for adding the questions of the packing of the game etc.

#24 5 years ago

Sorry if I came off as disrespectful, I should have just kept my comments to myself.
    Congrats on finding something so meaningful to you, enjoy!

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from Vic_Camp:

This is fantastic news! The NIB Silver Sails couldn't have went to a better guy or home. Well deserved for all you do for the hobby and collectors around the globe.
    I can't wait to here about all the information Bally Bingo collectors will learn from this grand unveiling at which would be nice if it takes place in York PA on Bingo Row. Please make sure that there will be plenty of videos taking place at this spectacular unveiling event when ever or where ever it might occur.
    Dennis can you tell us any other information about the game....?
    A) How many owners through the years or if it was ever offered for sale in the past?
    B) How well was it taken care for and in what kind storage was it in like garage, basement, warehouse, amusement company..etc?
    C) How many hands did it pass since you got it?
    D) Has there been any other NIB bingos in the past that have sold or kept in the box from 1950's or 1960's?
    I heard of some 1970's Bally Tahiti bingos in the past up for sale and maybe a couple of other bingos,but not sure and can't think of the other NIB titles that perhaps might have also been offered for sale?
    Anyway you look at this Silver Sails find it is incredible. I am hoping that the game is in remarkable condition for it being in a cardboard box for 57 years. This might depend on where and how the game was in storage for all them years. Well the good thing is....we will find out.
    3. I'm thinking there won't be any "grey colored" dead rubbers on the four red post.
    4. What serial number "Reflex Unit Gear" installed from factory?
    5. What brand keys come with factory game and key numbers?
    6. Type of balls? Brand name and or magnetic?
    7. What a full complete instructions and score card package consist of?
    8. Would there be any spare parts? Maybe extra reflex gears for operators to switch out for payouts?
    9. Any types of factory oils for motors or lubes for stepping units?

Thanks Vic. Videos will certainly be taken at the opening of the box.

A) The people I bought it from were the second owners. They bought out an old operator years ago. They also had a NIB Bikini and another Silver Sails that they sold many years ago. They still have a NIB Keeney 'Summertime' flasher game for sale.
    Not sure if any of these were ever advertised for sale. They contacted me two years ago after somehow finding out I was into bingos. They wanted too much for the game at the time and we have been negotiating periodically since then.

B) It was in their garage when I picked it up. I plan on getting more info. on the history of the game soon.

C) Two owners. The people I bought the game from said that the operator told them that Bally did a hurry up close out sale of their existing stock right before the government ban on manufacturing of the games in 1963 was about to be enforced. He apparently got them very cheap but was never able to operate them. Makes sense and also explains his having NIB Keeney flasher games that were also being outlawed.
    Also explains why so many Golden Gates and Silver Sails have mismatched backglasses. Sounds like Bally did a very hasty closeout.

D) I saw two NIB Silver Sails at an old operators shop in Kentucky about 15 years ago. There are still NIB Tahiti's and Miss Universe's floating around.

Good questions that I hope we can answer at the opening.

#26 5 years ago

Good information about the "hurry up close out sale of their existing stock right before the government ban on manufacturing of the games in 1963 was about to be enforced" could "explain why so many Golden Gates and Silver Sails have mismatched backglasses" and playfields.

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

Not many bingo fans left in the US.

I feel like I could get into bingos, but they seem like alien technology to me. I just don’t understand them, especially the complicated ones. I feel like I need to really hunker down on one with someone who could explain it.

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

operator told them that Bally did a hurry up close out sale of their existing stock right before the government ban on manufacturing of the games in 1963 was about to be enforced.

That's always been my assumption and seems pretty logical - wouldn't it be funny if it had the wrong glass, playfield, or cabinet?

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Sorry if I came off as disrespectful, I should have just kept my comments to myself.
    Congrats on finding something so meaningful to you, enjoy!

No offense taken. The majority of collectors have never played a bingo and grew up playing only flipper games. I've no idea if you have ever played a bingo, but many people have changed their minds about them after having the game play explained to them from someone who is familiar with the many features found on the games. Give one a try sometime.

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

I feel like I need to really hunker down on one with someone who could explain it.

Come to York! I spend the whole weekend (along with other collectors) teaching people to play the games - AND - if Dennis brings this to York, you'd be in on the ground floor for fun!

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

I feel like I could get into bingos, but they seem like alien technology to me. I just don’t understand them, especially the complicated ones. I feel like I need to really hunker down on one with someone who could explain it.

I wish I was better at explaining bingo game play in print. Almost every bingo has a dozen or so different features that are best explained while playing the games.
    I hate to put Nick Baldridge on the spot, but he can explain them way better than I can. If you can make it to the York show, Nick will have his Multi-Bingo there to play. You will be able to play almost 200 different bingos on one machine.

Edit: He beat me to it! As I said, Nick is the guy to talk to. Thanks Nick!

#32 5 years ago

I’ll be there! I try to go every year, but I almost always breeze past the bingos

I look forward to seeing the unboxing, if it’s done there this year!

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

As I said, Nick is the guy to talk to. Thanks Nick!

Thanks so much, gentlemen! I do genuinely look forward to York and meeting you guys.

#34 5 years ago

That's always been my assumption and seems pretty logical - wouldn't it be funny if it had the wrong glass, playfield, or cabinet?

All possibilities but I will not be saddened by whatever we might find. Anything will be exciting to me. Even a load of bricks! What a great ending!

Silver Sails is probably one of the top five bingos and I think most bingophiles would agree with me. What EM flipper game do you guys think might equal finding a NIB Silver Sails? Any of the many good wedgeheads I suppose. Certainly most woodrails.

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

The name of the game was revealed in post # 9342 last evening. Yeah. Not many bingo fans left in the US.

The reason I was disrespectful was because I felt you should have been more upfront about not opening it for several months. I don't care if it's a bingo, it's just so cool that such an old game is seeing light for the first time in 50+ years. Just kindof crappy that you chose to announce it the way you did so I got petulant. Best luck with the reveal though, I hope it's mint!

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

I almost always breeze past the bingos

There's lots of fun to be had - don't breeze past us! Please introduce yourself as the CDi Zelda guy and I'll put 2 and 2 together.

Aside from learning about the games, I run a little contest every year, and you'll want to win what I'm giving away. Every year, something new and fun.

#37 5 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

All possibilities but I will not be saddened by whatever we might find. Anything will be exciting to me. Even a load of bricks! What a great ending!

That's the right attitude - it's already a great story! Looking forward to seeing you in Bingo Row at York (HINT, HINT) for the unboxing.

#38 5 years ago

Regarding NIB Silver Sails...

Quoted from DennisDodel:

I will probably take the game to the fall York show and open the box there.

Oh.

My.

Gawd.

Dennis, this is incredible.

I'm going to make a selfish request...PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do it at York. ...and I'll second Sean's comment:

Quoted from Stoomer:

And also this one...

Quoted from Stoomer:

OMG you people are something else...

Always nice when folks who have no appreciation for the ole' bingers saunter into the Bingo Subforum. Ha-ha! *sigh*

Okay, now for everyone in the right sub-forum, can we get a chat started?

bingoRowChant.gifbingoRowChant.gif

#39 5 years ago
    vVPamcr (resized).pngvVPamcr (resized).png
    #40 5 years ago
    567672B4-B47E-4A2C-BFF7-A30F75BC8AB4 (resized).png567672B4-B47E-4A2C-BFF7-A30F75BC8AB4 (resized).png
    #41 5 years ago
    AB2CD267-AB76-4DEF-8743-FCFB19974DF0 (resized).pngAB2CD267-AB76-4DEF-8743-FCFB19974DF0 (resized).png
    #42 5 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

Why wait until the York show when you can get a jump start learning about the bingos beforehand.... when you do go to York and play at bingo row you'll fit right in before you even get there.

You are welcome to come by my collection. I live to teach about the bingos!
    I have a Silver Sails and 5 others.

Anyone else interested in learning about bingos and are close enough to drive to my place are welcome to join us.
    pm me....

#43 5 years ago

Very good thought Nick.

#44 5 years ago

Is it going to work "straight out of the box" ?

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Is it going to work "straight out of the box" ?

I'd wager not. Not after that time period. Steppers could be froze, contacts tarnished etc. This should slowly be brought back to life depending on what is found.

#46 5 years ago

It would be amazing if it does "work straight out of the box". I wouldn't it expect it.

#47 5 years ago

If it’s a severed head, I’m going to be very upset.

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from NoQuarters:

I'd wager not. Not after that time period. Steppers could be froze, contacts tarnished etc. This should slowly be brought back to life depending on what is found.

Agreed. Whatever shape it is in I will probably bring it back home from the show before setting it up and go through it completely before 'cranking her up'.

I have three Bally Spinner games which use similar bingo motors. All gearboxes on all three games had grease in them that was as hard as a rock and had to be taken apart to chisel out the grease which had kept the gears from turning.

2 months later
    #49 5 years ago

Join us in Bingo Row at the White Rose Gameroom Show for a once-in-a-lifetime event! An unboxing of a Bally Silver Sails from 1962. Friday, October 12th at 10:30AM.

Volunteers needed for filming. Please contact me for details.

Handbill - Unboxing a Bally Silver Sails (1962).pdfHandbill - Unboxing a Bally Silver Sails (1962).pdf

#50 5 years ago

Looking forward to the write-up!

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-s-in-the-box?hl=bingobutch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.