(Topic ID: 307477)

What's Going on with a/n display glass unavailibility??

By sbmania

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by slochar
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

I got in a Secret Service with a bad 7 digit alphanumeric display glass. Unfortunately, all I have in stock are the ones with the nipple on the back. Which just happens to fall in the area of the board that a chip exists...so can't use it without really hacking up the board.

Looked on line for replacement glass - nobody has flat back glass anymore and they're out of the nipple stuff anyway. Looked for a Pinscore replacement set for DE Secret Service and nobody has one in stock, at least in this country that I can find! What's everybody else doing in these cases? I never saw a supply shortage like this before!

#2 2 years ago

Have you tried Xpin? They are very similar to PinScore.

#3 2 years ago

Glass displays are hard to find & extremely expensive! Most of us are trying to salvage working glass displays with upgrades to low voltage displays. So upgrade a game to get some donor glass for poor games. I have used up my 25 years of salvage 6 digit glass for Bally & Stern. Just have Bally million displays left. Some Williams, Gottlieb, & a number of dot stuff because of color upgrades.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from Shogun00:

Have you tried Xpin? They are very similar to PinScore.

I know xpin used to have a DE option but I didn't see it when I looked on their site. OP if you get desperate can you transplant the other AN display and use the nipple one on that one instead (maybe with mod).

I don't think anyone has made the flat glass for years and years. There was some issue with getting a good seal on them vs. the nipple ones is why they changed it.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

I know xpin used to have a DE option but I didn't see it when I looked on their site.

They still do. It's just that the display model also works on System 11a/b games as well. A simple removeable jumper differentiates the two.

https://xpinpinball.com/product/william-system-11a-b-orange/

Just look at the description. It list both the Williams and Data East machines that it works on.

Supported Games
WMS:  Big Guns, Cyclone, F-14 Tomcat (late production), Fire!, Space Station (late production), Swords of Fury

Data East:  Playboy 35th Anniversary, Secret Service, Time Machine, Torpedo Alley

Note: The orange is backordered but some of the other colors are instock.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Shogun00:

They still do. It's just that the display model also works on System 11a/b games as well. A simple removeable jumper differentiates the two.

That's good, they should make it more obvious for the casual browser as I looked when I read the topic and it didn't hop out at me. I actually used one of their displays for a custom purpose and the DE/WMS jumper was handy (it inverts a signal DE vs. WMS, at least on the 2x16 displays)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-s-going-on-with-a-n-display-glass-unavailibility and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.