Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 months ago by zacaj
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 months ago

which one makes the game better, also which one is worth more if it's the same game - thanks ed

#2 10 months ago

If the machine is in home environment it won't matter if you get a free game because you'll most likely have it setup with freeplay. So nothing gained there. However a free ball (adding balls) allows you to keep plugging away at points and bonus.
As for price or value, that is in the eye of the buyer and their purposes of buying.
I have been wanting a Gottlieb 2001 but just tripped over the add a ball version Dimension.
I would have been happy with either but having add a ball version is sweet.
-Mike

#3 10 months ago

You have some games like Neptune with adding balls just goes on forever. It can be too much, obviously not all of them though

#4 10 months ago

It can depend on the game. Sometimes the add-a-ball version just gives too many balls and becomes boring. Don't forget games that can give points instead of a credit or ball, and can also be worth too little or too much

As a home player I'd always prefer something that gives points or balls over credits as long as it's still balanced

#5 10 months ago

In a home environment, add-a-ball is generally more desirable. However, because it was only made because a legal requirement in a few states, such as NY, the production numbers are much lower for that game variant (especially with Gottlieb games).

#6 10 months ago

I prefer to win a game.
All high scores are then on an equal level.
All of my games are set up as coin op. You must drop a quarter . There are bowls of quarters near the games.

I have it set up like an arcade.

I think there are plenty of people who do not care AAB or free game but I will not buy an AAB game.
They take too long to play at the shows....

#7 10 months ago

AAB for the win...

#8 10 months ago

Ed, consider adding a poll to this topic.
-Mike

#9 10 months ago

Was neutral on this until I picked up a Bank Shot a few months ago. While winning a free game out at the Barcade is satisfying, I like the AAB feature in my arcade. lol

Final answer:

AAB

#10 10 months ago

Generally I favor AABs but it's sort of a case by case basis. Some are just too easy and get boring fairly quick.

#11 10 months ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

If the machine is in home environment it won't matter if you get a free game because you'll most likely have it setup with freeplay. So nothing gained there.

I have to totally disagree with this.

Setting up for and collecting specials, especially when multiple specials are available, and then crossing replay point thresh-holds are features of the game and half the fun of playing them. Then seeing and hearing the results as the knocker fires and credits get added.

By your logic, you might as well disable the score reels, because it really doesn't matter how many points you score if you are playing for free anyway.

#12 10 months ago

The knocker is always fun to hear either way. Earning a replay at home to me is still satisfying. Seeing how long you could play off of earned credits is fun too. As an alternative hearing that knocker on a frantic AAB game can really be exciting. If the thresholds are right, advancing is liking going into overtime. Trying to get to that next free ball to keep the game going can really get the adrenaline pumping.

#13 10 months ago

I wouldn't be dropping nickel after nickel into Frontiersman (yes it takes coins only and I know there is no AAB version), if I didn't have the opportunity to collect up to 10 replays at once or at least one. That's the whole point of a single player replay game. Without that it just becomes a glorified piece of firewood with nice artwork that nobody wants to play.

So if that's not your cup of tea, stick with AAB games for sure.

#15 10 months ago
Quoted from o-din:

Without that it just becomes a glorified piece of firewood with nice artwork that nobody wants to play.

Exactly

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
£ 29.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 209.99
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 99.95
Cabinet Parts
Merf's Pins
$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Flashinstinct
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 9,500.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet Parts
PinBoltCaps
$ 62.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside