(Topic ID: 229705)

What's a great title for both beginners and pros?

By EvanDickson

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 87 posts
  • 68 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by PtownPin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 5 years ago

I'm wondering what is a good title that would be both approachable and fun for beginners to play without kicking their ass, and also have staying power for experienced players. I've realized that my current lineup (Firepower, Funhouse, Doctor Who) is going to keep me entertained, but it's going to be brutal on beginners. I'd rather have guests getting hooked on pinball than demoralized.

So what's a good game that will keep challenging me and keep me getting better, but also be fun for a beginner to play?

#2 5 years ago

Attack From Mars or Medieval Madness come to mind.

LTG : )

#3 5 years ago

Metallica for sure if you’re into Sterns.

#4 5 years ago

Medieval Madness. Good humor, great theme, fun layout, and rules are simple for beginners. Putting up big scores and getting to BFtK can be a challenge for even highly skilled players.

#5 5 years ago

Monster Bash is not super deep. Very fun family Pin with staying power. Plus, Chicago Gaming Company just made a remake, in case you're looking for something NIB.

#6 5 years ago

Attack from mars is my favorite for that!

#7 5 years ago

Stern Mustang. Easy gear shift MB for beginners, but semi-hard but achievable mini wizard mode and tough wizard mode.
    Approachable theme with excellent integration.

#8 5 years ago

LOTR.

Long ball times and several places to get mulitball for beginners, deep rule set for the vets.

#9 5 years ago

Another vote for MM or AFM.

#10 5 years ago

Dialed In or CFTBL. DI is one of the smoothest playing games ever built. CFTB has a great theme and is very entertaining for the whole family.

#11 5 years ago

World Cup Soccer ‘94

#12 5 years ago

Have to agree with AFM simple to learn rules, great appeal to all including begginers and pros

#13 5 years ago

Tspp is a crowd pleaser as well ...

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

World Cup Soccer ‘94

Every time I have friends over, they all line up to play World Cup Soccer 94. I got it originally for my girlfriend, but I find it fun and deep enough to keep my interest. And you can pick one up for the cheap!

#15 5 years ago

What about Adams family ...is that to easy for experts

#16 5 years ago

Evan,

What price range are you considering?

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from spikelou2:

What about Adams family ...is that to easy for experts

Depends on how it’s setup. It can be crazy easy or ridiculously hard.

#18 5 years ago

My guests love T2. It's why I haven't looked to move it yet. They seem to be intimidated by Met and IMDN.

#20 5 years ago

Same here for T2. Guests all have seen Terminator or at least know Arnie, plus easy to explain basic rules on what to do. The gun shot is an added bonus when they achieve it (which is often enough)

#21 5 years ago

But I guess for Pros not much to do, which was part of the original question.

#23 5 years ago

Probably anything with a giant center shot that does something cool after you hit it a bunch of times. MM and AFM are the obvious choices, but I actually like having rookies play Stern Indiana Jones. I'm going to beat them anyway, so I'll shoot for everything except the middle and tell them to only shoot for the middle. Then I just watch their face when the ark of the covenant opens up and shoots five balls onto the table. They always think it's cool as hell, especially when it catches them by surprise.

A lot of people hate that game, but the ark multiball is pretty damn awesome.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Evan,
    What price range are you considering?

No particular price range, so everything between dumpster find and NIB Stern pro, I guess.

Also, yay, lots of opinions! Lots of votes for MM and AFM. I enjoy both these games, although I've had limited access to both.

I was thinking many of the Bally class of 81 might qualify too, although Flash Gordan can be pretty punishing, so it might also turn off beginners.

#25 5 years ago

St pro comes to mind. Inexperienced players can figure out what to shoot for easy and is super deep for the best players.

#26 5 years ago

I'd say LOTR would be a great first pin. It's easy, long ball times, it's fun and you can understand the rules pretty fast.

#27 5 years ago
    #28 5 years ago

White Water fits the bill for beginner and expert. Beginner can be easily taught how to hit the Insanity Falls ramp and is entertaining. But playing to get to Wet Willies and other stuff is challenging.

I also support the above mentions of WCS94. Its usually the first game kids go to in my game room.

#29 5 years ago

Shocked no one has mentioned Dialed In. It has lots of stuff to do early on that Makes you feel like you’re getting somewhere; fairly easy first multiball, but oh man if you want to make it tough, there are lots of complicated shots

#30 5 years ago

I've known people, who don't play much pinball, having a fun experience playing AC/DC.

#31 5 years ago

70’s multiplayer EMs
    All around fun for everyone.

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from ryan1234:

70’s multiplayer EMs
    All around fun for everyone.

I've often thought that if I had to teach someone how to play pinball, I'd use Big Indian. Not overly complicated, but enough to shoot for and make it interesting.

#34 5 years ago

No System 11s on the list?

#35 5 years ago

I’m shocked no one is bringing early solid state games into the mix. They are easy to understand. Can be very hard to master.

#36 5 years ago

MB, AFM, and MM....all have easy to understand rule sets with great humor

#37 5 years ago

Taxi also comes to mind

#38 5 years ago

Another vote for Simpsons Pinball Party

#40 5 years ago

My son's football team was here for dinner and they all went for AC/DC.

#41 5 years ago

Iron Man is always a hit with even beginners. Great theme and game play easy rule set. Even though it’s tough and brutal it leaves beginners and more experienced players saying just one more game. Out of my collection it’s the one that gets most play and one more game effect.

#42 5 years ago

TAF, AFM or Whirlwind were the first ones that came to mind for me. Approachable for beginners and reasonably challenging for pros.

#43 5 years ago

Metallica or hobbit

#44 5 years ago

MBr looks kind of interesting. Ditto on all the MM votes, I prefer that over AFM. But I played a maxed out AFMr with a sub...very impressive.

Even Getaway might be good choice.

Like you mentioned - lots of good choices, both old and new.

#45 5 years ago

I think you're wrong about Funhouse. I wouldn't consider it brutal for beginners. They'll shoot for Rudy all day and since everything advances the clock they'll progress.

Honesty you can't go wrong with almost any Pat Lawlor game for beginners and experts. He always has that "thing" to shoot for but an expert can go deeper and do more.

#46 5 years ago

Theater of Magic?

#47 5 years ago

My first pin is The Walking Dead. Playing it everyday since I got it in January this year. It's loud, it's proud! Every beginner I've introduced TWD to returned to play more. Iron Maiden may be my next pin.

#48 5 years ago

I wouldn't include Funhouse - it's a difficult game for beginners to follow the flow of and really click what's going on. It's also a game of secrets.

For early solid states with a unique gimmick, a universal appeal and that aren't easy to max out, I'd say Mr & Mrs Pac-Man. For 90s games, I'm surprised Capcom's Breakshot hasn't come up.

#49 5 years ago

Did you think about no fear ..such a fast game ...easy to understand....and a great value ...and the cabinet seems like a much newer game than it is ..very teen friendly

There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-s-a-great-title-for-both-beginners-and-pros?hl=pinless and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.