(Topic ID: 316620)

What's a good replacement for a roll pin?

By swampwiz

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by HoakyPoaky
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

benchblockrollpinset (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20220607-193439_Chrome (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    rollpinthings (resized).JPG
    #1 1 year ago

I've just removed a pair of roll pins from a slingshot assembly, and it seemed like it was the hardest thing I've ever done. Of course, I need to replace the pin, but in case I need to take it out again, I want the process to be easier - and of course, I could only imagine how difficult it would be to install the same pin. This assembly must be done while the rest of the brackets are already installed, so there is no way to do this on a bench, which probably was the reason is was a PITA.

Any ideas? I'll be doing an order from Bolt Depot, so whatever something they might have would suffice.

#2 1 year ago

Pictures??

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampwiz:

This assembly must be done while the rest of the brackets are already installed, so there is no way to do this on a bench

Are you sure? I've always remove assemblies for roll pin work. Though sometimes you may have to disassemble and leave the coil hanging inside the game.

Do you have a roll pin punch set?

Do you have a short handle or stubby hammer?

If you can avoid removing the roll pin complete from the assembly, that can make things easier when you tap it back in.

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Are you sure? I've always remove assemblies for roll pin work.
    If you can avoid removing the roll pin complete from the assembly, that can make things easier when you tap it back in.

Same. What game? All slingshot assemblies are removeable.

I've had to remove roll pins occasionally, but with a proper sized punch, it's not a huge deal. clamp it to a vise or bench and a few taps typically pops it out. Going back in should be the same.

#5 1 year ago

I received a Bally flipper rebuild kit last month from Macro that did not have the roll pins installed. Glad we had a small arbor press at work!

#6 1 year ago

A cotter pin that is exactly the right size might work. Anything that fits sloppy will egg out the hole over time.

As others said, this is one of those jobs where you have to pony up to get the right tools. That and some penetrating oil will work 99% of the time.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gotemwill:

A cotter pin that is exactly the right size might work. Anything that fits sloppy will egg out the hole over time.

I've seen seemingly factory installed cotter pins here but I might be thinking of a non-pinball solenoid application. Jam it through and spread the pin arms. Probably not great for the link though.

Sling parts without slop are a HUGE factor in how tight the stuff operates, and makes the games respond so much better.

#8 1 year ago

I have removed and installed roll pins in the slingshot assemblies while the assemblies were still in the machine. I use a 1" C clamp and little washers for spacers. Essentially it's a press using the C clamp.

#9 1 year ago

Here is what I use. Roll pin punch set to get the right size. Metal block with rubber surround to help hold in place on work bench or table. And hammer.

The metal block has a grove to lay plunger in. And a hole to drive roll pin out, or solid area to drive the roll pin back in.

If you are just replacing the plastic link between the plunger and kick arm, no need to remove the roll pin. Half way will do it, slip our broken link, slide in new one. Pound the roll pin back in.

LTG : )

rollpinthings (resized).JPGrollpinthings (resized).JPG
    #10 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gotemwill:

A cotter pin that is exactly the right size might work....

...for an emergency fix. However it will not last very long. It's too soft and it's shear strength is inferior to the roll pin.

#11 1 year ago

All box stores should have spring pins and punches all sizes.

Issues I had was when both ends were punched. They can get mushroomed both ends and won’t budge. Fix is to grind the entry with a dremel and stone bit for a few seconds lightly. Tap out simple. I agree this is easier if you remove the part to a bench.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

Same. What game? All slingshot assemblies are removeable.
    I've had to remove roll pins occasionally, but with a proper sized punch, it's not a huge deal. clamp it to a vise or bench and a few taps typically pops it out. Going back in should be the same.

Bally On Beam

I can't clamp it to a bench since it needs to be on the playfield to be installed.

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from SteveinTexas:

deemed and stone bit

Hmmm?

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Are you sure? I've always remove assemblies for roll pin work. Though sometimes you may have to disassemble and leave the coil hanging inside the game.

I have a ball-peen hammer. I have some roll pin punch tools, but without proper bracing, they are useless. I took the roll pin out by first applying penetrating oil, then banging the pin as much as possible with the hammer, then used a lock plier to get it out.

#15 1 year ago

Fixed the word to dremel. Hope that helps

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampwiz:

but without proper bracing, they are useless.

Chunk of wood. If soft wood bang the plunger into it a little to hold it. If hard wood, cut a grove in it to lay the plunger on. Drill a hole in the wood if you like for the roll pin to drop into. If not, pull the roll pin out of the wood with a vice grips.

Not rocket science. Anything will work.

#17 1 year ago

Did you try a c-clamp that you can screw tighten?
    Normally you have to squeeze the roll pin with a pair of pliers to start it and then have the clamp push the pin in .

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #18 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Chunk of wood. If soft wood bang the plunger into it a little to hold it. If hard wood, cut a grove in it to lay the plunger on. Drill a hole in the wood if you like for the roll pin to drop into. If not, pull the roll pin out of the wood with a vice grips.
    Not rocket science. Anything will work.

I’ve done exactly that with the block of wood.. I should get the little base that you showed.
    I’ve also used a finish nail of exactly the right size in a pinch to drive the pin out before I got the set of punches. I’ve also used needle nose pliers to keep the pin straight to drive it back in while the other part sits on a partially open vise. Now I have the hollow shaft pin inserters used for firearm work and they’re awesome.

I like the small c-clamp with washers method. I will try that sometime.

Dave

#19 1 year ago

A quick measurement of the plunger indicates a hole that is 3/8" deep and 1/10" wide, so I shall presume that this is the proper pin:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/20-8716-18

What's a good tool I can get at Amazon or the local hardware store to install the pin easily?

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Metal block with rubber surround to help hold in place on work bench or table.

Where did you get that?

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampwiz:

Bally On Beam
    I can't clamp it to a bench since it needs to be on the playfield to be installed.

I've never seen a slingshot assembly that had to remain attached to the playfield to have the roll pin installed. I can't imagine they installed them like that at the factory either.

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampwiz:

Bally On Beam

Is this the assembly?

Screenshot_20220607-193439_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220607-193439_Chrome (resized).jpg
    #24 1 year ago

I had mentioned the wrong title - it is Rocket III not On Beam. EDIT: I HAD mentioned the correct title; it is On Beam.

I see what the problem is - the kicker arm obviously was able to get installed, and the way it is installed is to have it go through the hole at a 180-degree turn from its final orientation. If bracket cannot be installed after the kicker arm is installed, and so it must be done together - and the only way it can be done as together is for there to be the 180-degree spread to do so, and the only way to do this is to have nearby parts removed.

With this in mind, I will assemble the plunger and the kicker arm (via the roll pin) on the bench, then add the bracket to it, then clear the area of other parts so as to be able to do the 180-degree sweep, then get this partial assembly put in (i.e., with the kicker arm protruding at the correct orientation), and then re-install all the parts that had to be cleared out, then attach the coil.

1 month later
    #25 1 year ago

Punching roll pins has been my least favorite job on flipper rebuilds, mainly because I didn't have the right tools. Glad I stumbled on this thread.

I went with this complete kit. Make sure you you buy the set designed for roll pin removal, with the dimple at the end of the punch to keep it centered on the pin. Shouldn't have any more problems or knocked pins rolling off my workbench.

https://www.amazon.com/Real-Hammer-Punches-Bench-Block/dp/B084Z9N2ZQ/ref=sr_1_2

benchblockrollpinset (resized).jpgbenchblockrollpinset (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-s-a-good-replacement-for-a-roll-pin?hl=jethrop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.