3%
  • Metallica Pro 58 votes
    55%

(105 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG-20131023-00156.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I'm about to buy a new stern pro pinball, but i can't seem to make up my mind about which one to take.
All of them have their positive and negative points but to me non of them really strikes me as the best choice.
I already played them all in the LE version except Metallica, but I never really got deep into the rules of them. So that to me is the most difficult point why I can't seem to be able to make up my mind.
So what do you owners/people who played them a lot think about these pro's?

#2 10 years ago

Since Tron isn't on your list (a few NIB for sale on market place) I would go with MET and then AC/DC...my 2 cents

#3 10 years ago

Acdc, Kelly wells, metallica, daylight, avengers/xmen.

#4 10 years ago

I vote MET Pro, played the crap out of it and it is a big bang for the buck. AC/DC pro is awesome too, but I would go premium on it.

#5 10 years ago

Xmen or tron would be a good pick

#6 10 years ago

Since I am not into music pins, I have not played avengers, I voted XM but would suggest Tron, which I think is one of the best pins.

#7 10 years ago

I would have voted Tron, but since it is not in the mix, I'd go AC/DC.
Haven't played a Metallica yet, but it looks cool.

#8 10 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion, but tron is not an option.
I see a lot of votes for metallica, any reason why this one over the others?

#9 10 years ago

MET Pro is great bang for the buck....you don't lose that much gameplaywize from the LE/Prem.

#10 10 years ago

I've only played (and own) avengers, it's a great game that I would not overlook.

#11 10 years ago

I just went through something similar. My options were MET pro, xmen pro, and TRON pro.

Metallica looks to be a great game and I'll get to play one this weekend; but honestly the theme doesn't appeal to me - don't get me wrong I'm a huge Metallica fan of their first 5 albums and will listen to them in the car anyday of the week. But the song choices and implementation are just not to my liking for pinball.

As for TRON and xmen; I owned an xmen LE a long time ago and really liked the game but didn't enjoy the features. And I've played two different TRON les and really like the game. But, a lot of pinsiders told me in my collection, that is get bored with TRON and that xmen has more to offer.

In the end I chose xmen pro. Love not having an iceman ramp and NCs; plus it was cheaper of the 3 by A LOT.

As for ACDC and avengers; its LE/prem or bust. Especially on avengers.

#12 10 years ago

I have played them all...of the 4 mentioned in order from most liked....MET,AC/DC,Avengers,X-Men....my 2 cents Good luck on the purchase

#13 10 years ago

add tron to the poll, it will win hands down

#14 10 years ago

What do you like in a game? For deeper with more to do, you can't beat Xmen. For fast and hard, ACDC. For toys, Avengers.

Metallica is a solid game too, but the one I played was kind of not totally functional. It seems to be an ACDC-like game, so maybe pick that based on which band you like more?

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Mato:

add tron to the poll, it will win hands down

Tron is not an option(stated above)...please read the post before you make comments.....since you are trying to break the record for bad posts in a day.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

Tron is not an option(stated above)...please read the post before you make comments.....since you are trying to break the record for bad posts in a day.

Mate me and 10 others have said the same thing and its a suggestion not a demand! Look whose talking maybe you should think with your brain 1st not your arse!

#18 10 years ago

Since Tron isn't on your list (a few NIB for sale on market place) I would go with MET and then AC/DC...my 2 cents

Quoted from Mato:

Xmen or tron would be a good pick

Quoted from Eskaybee:

I just went through something similar. My options were MET pro, xmen pro, and TRON pro.
Metallica looks to be a great game and I'll get to play one this weekend; but honestly the theme doesn't appeal to me - don't get me wrong I'm a huge Metallica fan of their first 5 albums and will listen to them in the car anyday of the week. But the song choices and implementation are just not to my liking for pinball.
As for TRON and xmen; I owned an xmen LE a long time ago and really liked the game but didn't enjoy the features. And I've played two different TRON les and really like the game. But, a lot of pinsiders told me in my collection, that is get bored with TRON and that xmen has more to offer.
In the end I chose xmen pro. Love not having an iceman ramp and NCs; plus it was cheaper of the 3 by A LOT.
As for ACDC and Avengers; its LE/prem or bust. Especially on Avengers.

Well look who has also mention Tron including yourself.........

#19 10 years ago

Haha jmule123 do you just comment with dumb posts so you move up the order of posts for the week.......i see your in 5th position, just not quite good enough to come 1st.........what a douche bag!

#20 10 years ago

Quoted from Mato:

Mate me and 10 others have said the same thing and its a suggestion not a demand! Look whose talking maybe you should think with your brain 1st not your arse!

Quoted from Mato:

Haha jmule123 do you just comment with dumb posts so you move up the order of posts for the week.......i see your in 5th position, just not quite good enough to come 1st.........what a douche bag!

Ahhh, Pinside......

#21 10 years ago

I wouldn't pick Tron if it was on the list. Perfect theme, but not enough to the game for me. It would get boring for me in a home environment. I get my fill by playing a few games when I see one on route or at a friend's house. I would go with X-Men. It is finally starting to shape out nicely and the game is so deep and has so much going on, I think it would hold up better in home use.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

I wouldn't pick Tron if it was on the list. Perfect theme, but not enough to the game for me. It would get boring for me in a home environment. I get my fill by playing a few games when I see one on route or at a friend's house. I would go with X-Men. It is finally starting to shape out nicely and the game is so deep and has so much going on, I think it would hold up better in home use.

See jmule123 this is a great post instead of bieng an arse, you might be able to learn a few things from lesmanley.

#23 10 years ago

I've had the chance to tour Stern a couple times in the past couple months, and it reinvigorated my interest in pinball.

So my family used some savings to order two NIB Pros: ACDC and Metallica. The Metallica is for my boys, and the ACDC is for my wife (she played and loved it).

They should be here within the next 7-10 days, but it left me wondering what pin to buy for myself. So, I'm currently undecided over whether to get myself an Xmen, Transformers, or Avengers.

The tough thing I've found on here is people tend to agree that ACDC and Metallica are great pins, but the feedback (and the passion) on XM, TF, and AV tends to be more than I'd expected.

I've gotten quite a few PM's from pinsiders saying, "Don't buy (insert title)! You'll hate it. Buy (insert title)!"

So my advice would be to go with ACDC or Metallica, basing your decision on which music you like the best.

And if you can play them in the wild, all the better!

#24 10 years ago

A lot of good inputs here, thx
I would like to go for a deeper game on wich I can really sharpen my shooter skills.
Normally I'm really into short and hard games but with makeable goals (fish tales comes to mind).
That being said i've already concluded the following on the above pins.

AC/DC: pro's: fast, fairly deep(12 songs/modes), good music/sounds, very nice dots
con's: loses the most toys compared to the premium, artwork not that good
--> as of now this is on the top of my list: buying probability 80%

X-men: pro's: Very narrow shots, deep ruleset, even better dots than ac/dc, no toys that i would miss compared to the LE, great artwork
Con's: stern keeps fooling around with the code.
--> this was the top of my list but due to the code problems it is just behind ac/dc now: buying probability: 75%

Metallica: pro's: great artwork, nice dots, good music, sparky is a great toy, small fan of metallica, no toys i would miss compared to premium
con's: software is far from finnished and i don't really like the implementation of the songs. Didn't get the wow feeling when I was playing it
--> i keep this in my mind, but only if a major update is being released: buying probability: 40%

Avengers: Pro's: Rules are medium deep (i like the vs modes), hulk is well implemented, artwork is ok, good shooters game, nice dots
con's: Has a lot of ball hangup issues, music and sounds aren't very good, I would like the premium in this case.
--> This is at the bottom of my list: buying probability 5%

#25 10 years ago

Unless you are buying more then one game your percentages well exceed the outcome of one pin purchased which is 100%.

Your not missing much with the lower play field not being there on the acdc pro. Stand ups opposed to drop targets just make it faster and rules are that deep no one seems to actually know what they are.

#26 10 years ago

I didn’t intend it to be viewed that way, every game has his own scale from 0 to 100%.
0% means it goes of my list and I’m definitely not buying this one, 100% means that this is the one I will buy

#27 10 years ago

My wife played both the Pro and Premium versions of ACDC for quite a while at Stern.

I left it completely up to her, and she decided she liked the speed and the way the Pro played better.

I'll miss the true "swinging" bell from the Premium, but the lower play field didn't do anything for me.

Agree with most who think it looks better than the Angus face, but if she can live with it, so can I.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from kid_ego:

My wife played both the Pro and Premium versions of ACDC for quite a while at Stern.
I left it completely up to her, and she decided she liked the speed and the way the Pro played better.
I'll miss the true "swinging" bell from the Premium, but the lower play field didn't do anything for me.
Agree with most who think it looks better than the Angus face, but if she can live with it, so can I.

You have mentioned your wife too frequently for my liking on a pinball forum. The emasculation stops here.

Op your explanation of your percentages makes perfect sense. Let us know what you get and post a review.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from Mato:

Well look who has also mention Tron including yourself.........

If you read the order of the posts are made you would realize I mentioned Tron before the OP said its wasn't an option. I do make a lot of posts...but I don't put up posts without reading the actual thread....or the 4 in a row you put up in this thread.

Joach, MET PRO would be my first choice...can't go wrong with any of them.

#32 10 years ago

If my wife plays a game she likes its as good as purchased. It only took me 10 years to figure out the way to handle such things. Which is why NGG is on my list.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from FatAussieBogan:

You have mentioned your wife too frequently for my liking on a pinball forum. The emasculation stops here.
Op your explanation of your percentages makes perfect sense. Let us know what you get and post a review.

Point taken, but I'm just glad she likes pinball, or I wouldn't have been given the go-ahead for a 3-pin purchase.

She's still recovering from me buying a $45k Camaro Vert last spring.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from JoachimR:

A lot of good inputs here, thx
I would like to go for a deeper game on wich I can really sharpen my shooter skills.

I won't help you much:
Given your criteria, Xmen has the potential to be a winner. Shots are harder than ACDC. A finished code would make that game great. But I would buy that one HUO rather than NIB to save a few $. Same for ACDC, except that I have not seen many for sale. Metallica Pro seems great, if you can stand the music and the artwork (yes, sorry to say that, but I am among the fews who don't like it).

The only one I would avoid would be the Avenger Pro.
By the way, I am curious to know what are the best deals you can get for stern nibs in Belgium?

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

I won't help you much:
Given your criteria, Xmen has the potential to be a winner. Shots are harder than ACDC. A finished code would make that game great. But I would buy that one HUO rather than NIB to save a few $. Same for ACDC, except that I have not seen many for sale. Metallica Pro seems great, if you can stand the music and the artwork (yes, sorry to say that, but I am among the fews who don't like it).
The only one I would avoid would be the Avenger Pro.
By the way, I am curious to know what are the best deals you can get for stern nibs in Belgium?

I agree with avoiding Avengers. Do yourself a favour and don't go there.

#36 10 years ago

Metallica HANDS DOWN!!

#37 10 years ago

I'd say xmen pro or met pro. I'll be playing met pro tomorrow so will post a mini review here.

#38 10 years ago

I wouldn't "avoid" avengers pro. Mine is dialed in and plays very well, I have no issues now. I also added CT LEDs, makes a huge difference, sweet light shows. If all you've done is play on route, you aren't getting full benefit as there can be significant issues. Game play is really challenging and rules are deep, there is a lot to shoot for, can be a very fast game, both in time and ball travel speed. I've had a pro since january and still play it all the time, more than taf and lotr. LE offers little more that makes any difference, cross ramp is pretty much it, not worth extra $2k+ IMO.

Don't want to turn this into an av is great thread, just think a little time on it is needed to appreciate it, and playing on route can easily leave a bad impression. It's also likely to be the cheapest of the four so there is some value.

Anyway, sounds like you can't go wrong with any of the four you pick. Ill be adding x men pro shortly, tron would then be next. Love acdc music, but would get repetitive to hear it all the time, can't stand Metallica's music, one of the few heavy metal bands I don't like (love motley Crüe, ratt, etc)

#39 10 years ago

Metallica. Best bang for the buck.

#40 10 years ago

All four are fun games. I say never underestimate the power of theme. Get the one with the theme you like best.

#41 10 years ago

My family and I went to a local place today and played X-Men, Metallica pro, and AC/DC pro. The game all five of us enjoyed the most was AC/DC pro. I know everyone loves the premium and I agree it better than the pro but the pro is a great game and was much more fun o play than the others. We were all disappointed in the Metallica game play, Metallica was the game I anticipated liking the most and was hoping to purchase one soon but boy am I glad I played it first its completely off the radar.

Just our opinion takes it for what it's worth but I suggest play them all before you drop 4 to 5 grand.

#42 10 years ago

tron

3 months later
#43 10 years ago

And the winner is:

IMG-20131023-00156.jpgIMG-20131023-00156.jpg
#44 10 years ago

Awesome choice congrats on your new pin

#45 10 years ago

And you went a premium

#46 10 years ago

nice choice

#47 10 years ago

Thx mato and moto, very happy with the purchase I never had so much trouble choosing which pinball to buy because they really where all good.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Trade
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 25.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 255.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-pro-would-be-the-best-choice and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.