(Topic ID: 104299)

What pisses you off most about the hobby?

By Blackbeard

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 274 posts
  • 156 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by labnip
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

eeyore-1.jpg
cookie-monster-ruler-1.JPG
toast.gif
bert-lamp-nose-1.jpg
good-times.jpg
Anus Squares.jpg
apron-1.jpg
this-thread-in-summary.jpg
image.jpg
dollar.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-09-26 at 10.01.55 PM.png
js.jpg
lower-back-pain-2.jpg
dcfan.PNG
image-206.jpg
There are 274 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.
#151 9 years ago

this....

lower-back-pain-2.jpglower-back-pain-2.jpg

#152 9 years ago

People thinking the machine they just bought is hands down the greatest machine ever made. Even without complete code.

#153 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

People thinking the machine they just bought is hands down the greatest machine ever made. Even without complete code.

I'm the opposite. I enjoy seeing people happy with their pinball purchase.

#154 9 years ago

The condition of pins in the wild (in my area) vs. collector pins. If games on route looked and played half as well as they do in peoples homes pinball might be more popular

#155 9 years ago

People that always talk like there "in the know" of whats "really" going on in the hobby. And how there not supposed to tell anybody but they will tell you because you are you. UGH !!

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#156 9 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

People that always talk like there "in the know" of whats "really" going on in the hobby. And how there not supposed to tell anybody but they will tell you because you are you. UGH !!
John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

Well... you are kind of a big deal John. What do you expect...

#157 9 years ago

It pisses me off pins cost twice as much as they are worth.

Companies know this is a niche marcet with just enough people with lots of cash they can abuse to survive.

No way a pinball costs 8k! Plain bullshit!

#158 9 years ago

The addiction pisses me off. Why can't a couple be enough?

#159 9 years ago

Moving pinball machines. Especially down stairs.

#160 9 years ago

To many TLA's (tiny little acronyms) Well not really but had to throw that out there since I am a newbie and spend half the time going what pin is that........
I work in IT so I get TLA's at work all day.

#161 9 years ago
Quoted from uphamj:

To many TLA's

(three letter acronyms)

"tiny little" is kinda fun though...
-mof

#162 9 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

I'm the opposite. I enjoy seeing people happy with their pinball purchase.

I hope they love them, but there is a diff'rence. It's like....hmm...like I hope all my friends have awesome kids that are great at so many things. But I don't need to hear everyday what your f&*King kid did that was so amazing or watch some crappy phone video of it.

Quoted from uphamj:

that out there since I am a newbie and spend half the time going what pin is that........

Well at least most of them you can mouse over and it shows you.

#163 9 years ago

I can't believe this has not been mentioned yet:

People who post for Tech Help; listing all the chips, caps, resistors, diodes, and other components they have replaced in a shotgun like effort to solve a switch error, when all they had to do was adjust the switch. They make no effort to diagnose the problem, they just start replacing parts on the MPU, PDB, Sound Board, Etc. Generally, causing new problems in the process.

#164 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

(three letter acronyms)

"tiny little" is kinda fun though...
-mof

ok you got me there....or is it two letter acronyms ha ha ha

Quoted from TheLaw:

Well at least most of them you can mouse over and it shows you.

Okay learned something new today....

#165 9 years ago

It's a sausage fest. If your looking to meet a nice lady then this hobby won't help you much.
You've gotta get the lady first and then introduce her to your other loves. If she leaves you then it wasn't meant to be.

#166 9 years ago
Quoted from uphamj:

Okay learned something new today....

And you wanna be my IT man

js.jpgjs.jpg

#167 9 years ago

Machines being released with unfinished crap code. How the F does Gary Stern show off TWD in person with junk code.

#168 9 years ago

Never making it to Dayhuff's party

#169 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Never making it to Dayhuff's party

Next years party should be November 2nd, (I'm guessing here) its the first Saturday in November every year. Mark it on your calendar now so that you can make it. There now you have no excuse.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#170 9 years ago

The fact that I can't stop checking this and every other pinhead website every 5 minutes. My problem, not yours....but you know what I mean!

#171 9 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Mark it on your calendar now so that you can make it.

I actually may be able to make it this year!

#172 9 years ago
Quoted from Tom_in_NoVA:

People who post for Tech Help; listing all the chips, caps, resistors, diodes, and other components they have replaced in a shotgun like effort to solve a switch error, when all they had to do was adjust the switch. They make no effort to diagnose the problem, they just start replacing parts on the MPU, PDB, Sound Board, Etc. Generally, causing new problems in the process.

To further on this one. People who post on KLOV, RGP, and here on Pinside. And their story changes/gets better from the first forum to the next.

They go from what they did and blew up to couldn't be anything they did. And then get a variety of answers not related to fix their blunder.

We are human. We make mistakes. Own up and get the help you need.

LTG : )™

#173 9 years ago

Screen Shot 2014-09-26 at 10.01.55 PM.pngScreen Shot 2014-09-26 at 10.01.55 PM.png

...lack of space

#174 9 years ago

New thread title... Get off my Lawn!

Looks like some of us don't like:

Each other.
Living in Canada.
Businesses that desire to stay open or dare make a profit, including, pinball companies, shipping companies, and parts manufacturers.
People who enjoy pinball, but do not know how to repair them.
People with opinions different from ours.
That about cover it?

#175 9 years ago

My least favorite aspect of hobby are machines being high maintenance. Some more so than others obviously. Second would be space for the basterds... especially when you like to live in the city or by the beach...

#176 9 years ago
Quoted from Strange:

My least favorite aspect of hobby are machines being high maintenance.

Yep. I DO enjoy fixing them...but at a certain(t) point I am done with it and just want to play!

#177 9 years ago

Relationships that I develop with OPs disappear overnight because they sell the the business. I think I have had that happen three times so far.

Also slot machine gambling in bars in Illinois.

#178 9 years ago

werd

Quoted from labnip:

...lack of space

Screen Shot 2014-09-26 at 10.01.... 11 KB

#179 9 years ago

getting the ball locked and then went the ball kicks out. Goes directly down the drain or goes off of something and into the drain.

#180 9 years ago

I'm not really pissed off by much, I suppose...

#181 9 years ago

Cheap people who need to always feel like 'they got a deal' and have no clue how much time/effort/money goes into a nice restoration job.

#182 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

what pisses me off about the hobby is usually summed up in one word.
Pinside.

that would be easily remedied by leaving. i am not telling you to do so, just offering a solution to what ails you. It was nice here a few years ago.

#183 9 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

Pinball 2000 was actually great. They sold 13,000 RFMs at a time when 4,000 was a good run. Remember, they had to develop the OS and design the system at the same time they made RFM. It's really an amazing accomplishment when you take that into consideration. I know all the people involved personally and watched them kill themselves to bring that platform out so hearing people shit all over it is really frustrating.
If they'd had a chance to come out with game 3 and 4 you'd have seen some really great games.

If Pinball 2000 or games similar to it were the only new games coming out, that is, if Stern and any other manufacturers followed the lead of WMS and made only games similar to them, maybe a lot more people would have just gotten used to the smaller form factor, and the rest of us would have mourned the loss of Real Pinball. But to me, WMS making an amazing Pinball 2000 game is like Coke or Pepsi making an amazing new diet cola: I'm still going to prefer the original non-diet version given a choice between the two. For those on a diet used to the chemical shitstorm taste of artificial sweeteners, yeah, they'll drink the new flavor by the gallon.

RFM, at least, would have been a much better game made as a full size, Real Pinball machine. I'm not as sure about SWE1 being that much better but it wouldn't have been any worse.

#184 9 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

It pisses me off pins cost twice as much as they are worth.
Companies know this is a niche marcet with just enough people with lots of cash they can abuse to survive.
No way a pinball costs 8k! Plain bullshit!

Well, an economist would tell you that a good is worth whatever a willing buyer with cash will pay for it at a given point in time. So, as long as Stern can sell 1000 XXXLE's for $8000, they will.

dollar.jpgdollar.jpg

#185 9 years ago

That the majority of pinball "business" owners (parts and service) are like this guy:

image.jpgimage.jpg

#186 9 years ago
Quoted from Tom_in_NoVA:

I can't believe this has not been mentioned yet:

Quoted from LTG:

To further on this one. People who post on KLOV, RGP, and here on Pinside. And their story changes/gets better from the first forum to the next.
They go from what they did and blew up to couldn't be anything they did. And then get a variety of answers not related to fix their blunder.
We are human. We make mistakes. Own up and get the help you need.
LTG : )™

I'm with you on this one Lloyd. I don't know how many times my initial advice has been "please put down the soldering iron".

I remember one post in particular. Not sure if it was a Hoax or not, but the guy had a switch stop working, so he immediately starting replacing items on the MPU. After replacing the diode, resistor, and Uxx chip, he got the error message "check Fuses 114 & 115". So he then replaced fuses, caps, and bridge rectifiers on the PDB. After all that, he posted a "Tech" post. I remember someone asking if he tried replacing the faulty switch and the guy said "no".

#187 9 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

People who can't communicate in a timely manner or disappear into the pinball abyss never to be heard from again.

Let me add to this one.

People who want help, get all sorts of help, and then just take off without stating if the problem was fixed, and you have a good idea it was because you see other posts/pictures/videos of said "broken" machine that's working without the "problem" present.

That lights me up like prolly nothing else - especially when I have the exact, same, identical issue with the exact, same signs and symptoms on the same game in my collection. Come on, if you get help from the community and your machine gets fixed, TELL US what it was for posterity's sake or at the minimum because the community was nice enough to help you. Show some fricking gratitude and appreciation for help from this community.

Quoted from kmoore88:

That the majority of pinball "business" owners (parts and service) are like this guy:

image.jpg 6 KB

If that's true, then owners and collectors that I have met are the EXACT opposite. I have had two people local to this area help me so many times, and I have had Pinsiders PM me saying they'll help me offline, and they have diagnosed problems over the phone with me without ever having talked to me before PMing me on Pinside.

Honestly, in this hobby, it is DEFINITELY not who you are but who you know. There have been a couple times that I would have been dead in the water without some local's help here - thank you both WeirPinball and Metalik .

#188 9 years ago

I can't stand it when someone is playing my pins and they are hitting the flipper buttons continuously even though the ball is nowhere near the flipper What are you, 6 years old!?!?!?

#189 9 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

I'm not really pissed off by much, I suppose...

And you'll live longer than most because of it. Stay cool.

#190 9 years ago
Quoted from aveamike:

Moving pinball machines. Especially down stairs.

This.... they seem to be getting heavier each year! Or maybe I'm just getting older.

#191 9 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

The fighting between others. This hobby would be so much better if people put there ego's aside and focused just on the fun of the hobby.
Yes, I've been guilty of this myself at times so no need to dig up old threads

Agreed. The strongest AND weakest link of any hobby or game (IMHO) is always the community. You can meet and talk with so many great people which is always amazing; but when you get so many different personalities together, there's going to be drama at some point which is what I always find annoys me the most.

But that's life. I try not to antagonize others and hope that I'm big enough to let it slide when others do.

Quoted from uphamj:

To many TLA's (tiny little acronyms) Well not really but had to throw that out there since I am a newbie and spend half the time going what pin is that........
I work in IT so I get TLA's at work all day.

Haha, totally agree! But I'm beginning to pick them up.

#192 9 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

Living in Canada

OK,, OK,, Just a minute on that one! It is not Living in Canada, its shipping parts to Canada(or out of the USA). That is a dislike.

#193 9 years ago

Space constraints.

#194 9 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

This has happened to me twice now.
This morning, in repopulating the pf of my TFTC, a damn slingshot post snapped in the T nut. Same thing happened a few years ago with my WW.
Now I have a $2.00 part order with Marco and a $5.00 shipping bill. For a post.

M'eh. Buy some more parts. You'll need them!

I bet if you order from Steve Young, you'll get the parts the next day, and the bill would be smaller

#195 9 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

OK,, OK,, Just a minute on that one! It is not Living in Canada, its shipping parts to Canada(or out of the USA). That is a dislike.

Don't forget the bad exchange rate right now. Everything costs 12.5% more and the crazy shipping charges. Its the exchange rate and shipping that is usually the dealer breaker for me on buying accessories

#196 9 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

that would be easily remedied by leaving. i am not telling you to do so, just offering a solution to what ails you. It was nice here a few years ago.

I doubt that. I think years ago before the RGP crowd moved over, i'm sure the stupidity level was significantly higher.

#197 9 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

Machines being released with unfinished crap code. How the F does Gary Stern show off TWD in person with junk code.

You do realize every pin company has done this, right?

#198 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I doubt that. I think years ago before the RGP crowd moved over, i'm sure the stupidity level was significantly higher.

You are a neggative Nellie!

#199 9 years ago
Quoted from bayoubilly70:

Cheap people who need to always feel like 'they got a deal' and have no clue how much time/effort/money goes into a nice restoration job.

YES YES YES....I so forgot about this one. But I get this more when I'm running my booth at a show and if I have the part they need for $1 they want it for .50 cents. OMG !!?? People are not happy unless they get "a deal".

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#200 9 years ago

IDC connectors, and the uneven uphill climb to get games from my basement to my driveway.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

12,610 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mapleton, UT
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 18.95
$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Plastics
Mad Czar Games

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 5.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Asheville, NC
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 274 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-pisses-you-off-most-about-the-hobby/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.