Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 135 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by cjmjmm2006
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“What pins would you prefer to play?”

• Old EM 1 vote
      2%
    • Early solid state 4 votes
      7%
    • Late 80s 2 votes
      4%
    • 90s Bally Williams 13 votes
      24%
    • 90s Data East 0 votes
    • 90s Sega 2 votes
      4%
    • 2000s Stern 2 votes
      4%
    • JJP 2 votes
      4%
    • CGC remakes 4 votes
      7%
    • New stern 18 votes
      33%
    • American Pinball 2 votes
      4%
    • Spooky 1 vote
      2%
    • P3 Multimorphic 1 vote
      2%
    • Homepin 0 votes
    • Other- add in comments 2 votes
      4%

(54 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

frontjjp (resized).JPG
    popmach (resized).JPG
    808CAFEF-7F16-42CB-86ED-A530F8A65D37.gif
    a122bb7f (resized).jpg
    9125666C-00DC-4842-ACCE-207A16150496 (resized).jpeg
    how to use pinside (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider coz.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I’m sure this question has been asked before.....but I’d like to hear some input and opinions on what pins to have on location at a local brewery. I’ve met with the owners and received the go ahead to place games on location. What’s been a good earner or is there any specific pins customers have requested? I’m gonna start with 4 or 5 pins and just looking for advice. There are currently no other games or pins at the brewery- hopefully this will help add some fun and extra entertainment.

Of course, every area and bar/brewery/arcade is different- just wanted to get some advice as I get started. I currently have quite a few pins ready to route, looking for additional titles too

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

The ones the players there like.
    You may have to put some games there, and rotate non earners out until you figure out what the players like.
    LTG : )

Just recently got the approval from the brewery to add the pins. I was going to open my own location, but this brewery is huge and usually very busy. Honestly this is great, since I have no rent/power bill. Also they don’t really offer any additional activity other than a couple dart boards and cornhole games. We don’t have a pinball “scene” yet, but I’d like to create one. Unfortunately no other place in town to play pinball- The closest place is uptown pinball in Martinsville VA. We definitely will start with a few and see how it works. It will be little trial and error to see what works.

#30 4 years ago

All really good ideas. That’s the age old debate...what game earns well. I live in an area with no pinball, so we’ll have to introduce pinball to potential customers. I’m definitely starting out with 4 or 5 games and will see how the are received and how well they earn. To start, I will probably have stern Star Wars, Whirlwind, Slugfest, Ghostbusters, Austin Powers and maybe more.

#59 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

OP I think you can mark this as resolved- the consensus is in!! Summary:
    Get a variety of pins and manufacturers but different eras with different themes and not certain manufacturers or themes or eras.
    Get some classic 90s themes like baywatch, but don’t get baywatch cause it’s a dog on location.
    Get all music pins, but don’t get any music pins cause you might not be able to hear them and people won’t play them.
    Get a few jjp, stern, and wms games but don’t get any jjp games, get all modern games and have a good line up of classic wms games.
    Make it kid friendly but get more adult themes cause kids and adults will be playing.
    Also make sure you put in a bunch of the shittiest pinballs (from pinheads perspective) like south park, Mario and street fighter to bring in the cash but don’t put any of those in cause you wanna attract players.
    Def put in a an IM cause players and casuals will both like it except people’s children will shit their pants when they see it and everyone will then leave the bar.
    Clear as mud????? Lol

I will follow this explicitly sir. Thank you for clarifying my original hypothesis. I now know the secret to fortune and glory

#60 4 years ago
    Quoted from DanDanDAN:

>cough<
    i think you know what I am going to suggest

Great suggestion Dan- although I do think you’re just slightly biased. Oktoberfest has been doing good at the boxcar arcade in Greensboro NC. I’d definitely like to have one too.

#80 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rackleye:

I was going to ask. You planning on getting a change machine, bill acceptors or just using the bartender.
    I ask because I’ve been to a couple breweries that had pins but no change machine so you had to get change at the bar and the bartenders were frequently less than helpful. They made no money off getting you quarters and could care less if they ran out of change. I went to one bar where they said they had run out of quarters weeks ago and didn’t have any. That operator wasn’t making much on those machines (and it included some nice machines like MMr Addams Family and Creature). Just wanted to see what your plan for quarters was?

They said they would supply customers quarters. I could also use dollar bill acceptors as well. If business does really well, I could have a change machine next to the pins and games

#87 4 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Coz - best of luck to you buddy!
    Theme Theme Theme and lay off the JJPs. I hate to say it but they're super expensive, have issues when played a TON and wherever I go, they seem to be the least played. They belong in the collectors home IMO.
    I would hit up stern pros ALL DAY. JP, GB, SW, etc.
    Good luck!

Thanks, Definitely will be a learning curve. No way to know exactly what will work until we put the games out. I agree. Theme will bring in casual fans and that’s where I have to start. This is the next best thing to starting my own business. Virginia alcohol law are also crazy- so no way I was ever going to have a barcade. This brewery is always busy, so I think it has great potential.

#94 4 years ago

Poll added: what would you prefer to play on location at a brewery?

#96 4 years ago
    Quoted from tonedef131:

DO NOT count on people getting change from the bar staff. You absolutely must have an automatic way for people to convert paper money into pinball currency. You need people to be able to play impulsively and with maximum convenience. If they have to wait in line or interact with unenthusiastic bartenders, they would rather just not play. You also don't want the staff to be annoyed by the machines. It's important the establishment feels like the machines are drawing new customers in, or causing current customers to stay longer and drink more beer. As soon as they have to sit there and dish out change instead of pouring drinks and earning tips, you'll be on their shitlist. If you do a split that can keep the proprietor happy, but you want the wait staff to feel like the machines are a good thing so they can report problems, clean the glass and maybe if you're lucky even play the machines. I always chat up the staff when I'm in playing or servicing the machines and ask them specifically if the machine are causing them any problems. I also hook them up with free credits and tip very generously, this all gets paid forward.
    Change machines are great, especially if they accept large bills, but they take up space and when they run out and people are counting on them you're in trouble. They work great in arcades where coin drop is the business and someone is always there when they run out to fill it up. You won't always be there and if that thing runs out in the middle of a busy weekend night your earnings will take a serious hit. I have zero interest in stopping in and checking change levels on a machine multiple times a week and making constant trips to the bank for change. One of my breweries asked specifically for a change machine even though every table has a DBV. I bought them one under the condition that they keep it full and all the money inside of it is theirs. I don't even have a key to it, so they are soley responsible for keeping it stocked. If it runs out, I don't care because the games all take bills.
    My recommendation, put a bill validator on every single game. If it doesn't have a slot for one, it's too old for location use. Even if you bulletproof an old game and get it reliable, you can't charge as much per play and they just don't make enough money on route.

All great points! All things I will have to address as I see what works and what needs improvement

#100 4 years ago
    Quoted from Blu:

Personally I think you are polling the wrong audience. I picked new stern, not because that would draw me there, but I suspect that is what people will want to play, and will probably have the least amount of work needed to keep them running.
    Now if was something to draw me to play, I’d say a little bit of everything, EMs, solid states, Williams and Bally, early 2000 sterns, JJP, some of the remakes that are flowing through... personally, anything BUT Raven will bring me to a place to play pinball

I appreciate all feedback. The poll is kinda just to see what people prefer to play while out on location. Of course they’re all fun, I’m mainly looking for a good performance and good reliability. Personally I think new sterns are the best choice, but also more expensive than some older solid state games. I’m not an arcade, I’ll just adding entertainment to a brewery so I can’t have 20pins.

#104 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Another thing to consider when people like a pinball machine or report long lines to play it.
    Is it on coin play or free play ?
    That can make a huge difference on what games get played in your location or not.
    And your concern is the cash box, not games you like. You are working towards pins that earn.
    LTG : )

Coin drop, no free play.

What is the best drink holder to use on pins? I found a couple but they were $45 a piece. Any other drink holders you’d recommend?

#127 4 years ago

Thanks for all the info so far. Looking to get a change machine ASAP

#134 4 years ago
    Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

We have some amazing line ups at multiple breweries. I think you can pull it off COZ!

Wow! That’s an impressive lineup. I’m just hoping to have 4 or 5.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider coz.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-pins-to-add-at-a-brewery?tu=coz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.