Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by mulder2010
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

I'm new to this hobby, and have been reading quite a bit. I keep coming across "unfinished code" in forums/reddit. I'm more worried about Williams brand because I'm pretty sure I'm going to get one. Would anyone share a list of machines that have unfinished code that makes playing it disappointing? My pins of interest are atm MM, totan, and potc 2006.

#2 1 year ago
    Quoted from maxxone:

I'm new to this hobby, and have been reading quite a bit. I keep coming across "unfinished code" in forums/reddit. I'm more worried about Williams brand because I'm pretty sure I'm going to get one. Would anyone share a list of machines that have unfinished code that makes playing it disappointing? My pins of interest are atm MM, totan, and potc 2006.

Williams closed in 1999. You won’t have to worry about unfinished code.

That refers to new games, Sterns and JJPs. Some older games may have code issues, but they’ve been around for 20-30 years and withstood the test of time. Just read reviews of classics and be wary of new games.

#3 1 year ago

Best value of the 3 is Stern POTC and great code

#4 1 year ago

James Bond code not finished!

#5 1 year ago

Wheel of Fortune - although, it doesn't make gameplay disappointing. There are just features, such as a wizard mode, and other polish that the game is missing.

#6 1 year ago

Rob Zombie, development ended with serious flaws still in the code. F.U. @fawzmagames! Not only did you not fix/finish the primary game, but you sold a bunch of apron screen mods on the side that were essentially abandonware from day one.

#7 1 year ago

Newer releases typically ship with the software partially baked and then they are updated over a year or two until they are really done. Most will eventually get there but time it takes varies.

#8 1 year ago

I haven't played a Stern KISS in a few years, but if I recall, choosing songs/cities on the first ball didn't have any effect on the game, unlike with other band/character-oriented games. I'm not sure if there was code update after that or not, but that seemed like an omission to me.

#9 1 year ago

OP - you’re way over thinking this. Don’t be worried about a Williams title. They’re a ton of fun. Buy one, get your hands dirty!

#10 1 year ago

Don't go strictly williams. Despite what this forums says. Diversify with gottliebs in the lineup.

Gottliebs has something different each layout.

In fact ignore the top 100. It is going to filled with owners and fanboys trying to influence culture and pricing.

Never ever use williams as a standard in pinball nearly when a hobby where their no defined "standard" machine.

One mans junk is another man's treasure.

Go against the grain and consider Gottlieb.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bmad21:

Don't go strictly williams. Despite what this forums says. Diversify with gottliebs in the lineup.
    Gottliebs has something different each layout.
    In fact ignore the top 100 is going to filled with owners and fanboys trying to influence culture and pricing.
    Never ever use williams as a standard in pinball nearly when a hobby where their no defined "standard" machine.
    One mans junk is another man's treasure.
    Go against the grain and consider Gottlieb.

Go a step further and consider a Gottlieb System 3. Built like tanks, ultra-reliable, and surprisingly deep and fun.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I haven't played a Stern KISS in a few years, but if I recall, choosing songs/cities on the first ball didn't have any effect on the game, unlike with other band/character-oriented games. I'm not sure if there was code update after that or not, but that seemed like an omission to me.

The v1.40 code release (next to last) in late Nov 2018 changed the do-nothing city selection to game play City Combos that award points and an extra ball.

From the Stern KISS game code readme:

- Added City Combos to Instant Info.

- Added 15 Unique City Combos. Combos score 1M x number of
    shots in the combo. The 15 Unique City Combos are:
    1) Chicago: Left Ramp -> Right Ramp
    2) Pittsburg: Right Ramp -> Left Ramp
    3) Seattle: Left Orbit -> Left Scoop
    4) Portland: Left Orbit -> Starchild Lane
    5) Los Angeles: Right Ramp -> Left Ramp -> Demon
    6) Houston: Right Ramp -> Left Ramp -> Right Orbit
    7) New Orleans: Left Ramp -> Right Ramp -> Left Orbit
    8 ) Atlanta: Left Ramp -> Right Ramp -> Left Scoop
    9) Orlando: Left Ramp -> Right Ramp -> Starchild Lane
    10) Mexico City: Left Ramp -> Right Ramp -> Left Orbit -> Left Scoop
    11) Tokyo: Left Ramp -> Right Ramp -> Left Orbit -> Starchild Lane
    12) London: Left Ramp -> Right Ramp -> Left Ramp -> Right Ramp
    13) New York: Right Ramp -> Left Ramp -> Right Ramp -> Left Ramp
    14) San Francisco: Left Ramp -> Left Ramp -> Left Ramp -> Left Ramp -> Right Orbit
    15) Detroit: 5 sets of Left Ramp -> Right Ramp

- Added logic for City Combos to light Extra Ball.

- Added a City Combo Extra Ball Adjustment, default = 5 Cities to light Extra Ball.

#13 1 year ago

Thank you everyone. I agree on over thinking, it's just the cost factor involved.
    I've been trying out several pins and I haven't found a gotlieb that I enjoyed yet.
    My dad has BK2k which is a Williams, and he said they're a great brand. But I'm not married to the brand.
    Actually, finding a pin "for life" has been a challenge. Most themes don't jive with me, or I don't enjoy the game.

Also, the "ignore the top 100" seems like an interesting way to start. I know the BK2k is rated at about 100 and it's an insanely fun game which should be rated higher imo.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from maxxone:

Also, the "ignore the top 100" seems like an interesting way to start. I know the BK2k is rated at about 100 and it's an insanely fun game which should be rated higher imo.

Too many people with an axe to grind. If there is a title of interest spend time reading the actual reviews and looking up gameplay on YouTube.

Best if you can play one at local show but always keep in mind some games are very sensitive to setup and adjustment. I played a few Meteors at shows and they were lackluster examples and then played a good one which was a blast.

So if it's a positive experience, great! If negative be open to the fact it might be the individual example.

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Go a step further and consider a Gottlieb System 3. Build like tanks, ultra-reliable, and surprisingly deep and fun.

Yes System 3s are super reliable! And they’re pretty cheap too, and some games like Gladiators and Wipe Out are actually fun.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from maxxone:

Stern Indiana Jones Crystal Skull (not the Williams Indy) famously does not have the namesake Crystal Skull wizard mode in it. It just wasn't put in the game. Didn't even TRY. It's a very boring game anyway, but the POINT of the game isn't programmed, which is the only one I know of like that.

#17 1 year ago

Williams Cactus Canyon, the last WPC game was also missing the wizard mode.

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from maxxone:

finding a pin "for life" has been a challenge. Most themes don't jive with me, or I don't enjoy the game.

Wrong approach. Just get something popular enough you can sell/trade it when you get bored with it. Don't care what it is, one game and you'll get sick of it. You should start with a 6m plan if you're only gonna have one or two (you'll find a way to get a second).

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ollulanus:

Wrong approach. Just get something popular enough you can sell/trade it when you get bored with it. Don't care what it is, one game and you'll get sick of it. You should start with a 6m plan if you're only gonna have one or two (you'll find a way to get a second).

What's a 6m plan?
    My dad had his BK2k since the 90s. I guess that's why I'm thinking pin for life.

#20 1 year ago

Check out as many games as you can first hand and see what you like.
    Try to get out to games on location and to shows.
    Pinball at the Zoo is coming up in a few weeks.
    Great chance to check things out and talk to people.
    Locations like OneWell in Kalamazoo or Tilted Arcade in Jackson are great to try out games.

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

Check out as many games as you can first hand and see what you like.
    Try to get out to games on location and to shows.
    Pinball at the Zoo is coming up in a few weeks.
    Great chance to check things out and talk to people.
    Locations like OneWell in Kalamazoo or Tilted Arcade in Jackson are great to try out games.

Dude, you're awesome!

#22 1 year ago

You're considering AFM, MM, TOTAN, and POTC 2006 - all good games (especially AFM imho). If you get one of those you can always trade up or across and get another game that you discover that you like. Once you go to a show your short list will probably change. Play in a tournament and ask experienced players what games they like - you'll find out what the true top 10 looks like. Your preference may be a little different, so look for the game that pulls you back for 'one more' again and again. Reading posts here is a good place to find good titles.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-pins-are-missing-code and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.